Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
We're not Schrutes, and we don't eat our babies: Karen just had hers!
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 116
Jan 28th 2007 edited

One good thread deserves another, and KarenM (not to be confused with Karen, Jim's fake dating-her-to-get-past-Pam love interest on the show) is due at the end of February. She's having a daughter with large femurs (her description, not mine). Plus, I do wonder if she's part Schrute, since Karen has energy that surpasses that of most other pregnant women, as she continues to take care of her baby son, accept freelancing offers, and pimp the Desert Island Book Club (now located at an MSN board), so she certainly deserves her own thread. You go, KarenM, and Large-Femured Baby Girl!

Jan 28th 2007

I for one am glad to deflect the media spotlight your way KarenM and express my hearty congratulations and best wishes on this impending blessed event.

And large femurs will be an asset, given that she's likely to be born with weak arms. It's a weakness of her kind.

Jan 28th 2007

Well, this is so much attention so far in advance for a person who is still in terrified denial! I'll spare the gory details and just post the exciting ones, as well as bask in the warmth of your goodwill and good wishes.

For all the accolades LT has posted about my accomplishments, I don't actually clean the house or buy groceries. And I nap too often. There's no manic energy happening here. I did manage to get to a home store to buy paint for a dresser for the baby corner and talk my husband into painting it this weekend. Big stuff, you think?

Jan 28th 2007 edited

People who are not in terrified denial about having a second child either don't understand how challenging it can be to take care of two small kids (I was in that camp) or they mistakenly think it will be easy. I remember the first day my husband went back to work after my daughter was born. I thought, "Oh, my God, where is he going? I can't take care of two babies by myself. I am not qualified to do this, and if anyone knew I was home alone with two kids, they'd call the police. I CAN'T DO THIS!" But I did.

I don't actually clean the house or buy groceries. And I nap too often. There's no manic energy happening here.

If more moms would admit this, the country would be a better place. Really.

EDIT: I want to add that I just remembered that I once read an interview with J.K. Rowling, and she told the interviewer that while she was writing the first Harry Potter book, she basically did not clean her house that whole time. I am not shocked at all. How can you take care of a small child, write a book, and keep a neat house all at the same time? You can't. You'll kill yourself. I think the "have it all" myth is just that - a myth - and when you try, you either kill yourself or run yourself into the ground from fatigue and guilt. You can have it all - just not all at once ;-). Something's gotta give.

Jan 28th 2007

Hey LT, I recall way back, maybe over the summer, you talking about frequenting message boards or something for moms. Could you recommend some links to check out? It's for my wife, but also for me. I think it would really be a big help hearing from others in the same boat.

Jan 28th 2007

Hey, Brian. I used to visit the message boards on babycenter.com - they have a section for virtually every age and/or specific concern a parent can have with a kid, from diapering to sleep issues to feeding to Mom's health and everything in between. I got more out of it when my kids were just babies (example: "Hey, she hasn't pooped in like six days, what gives?" And someone would say, "That's OK, it's totally normal for breastfed babies to go at least that long," which is totally true.). But as my kids have become toddlers/preschoolers, I've found those boards to be, as my sister would say, a little "crunchy" for me (lots of wishy-washy parenting, my-kid-can-do-no-wrong, why is my 5-year-old still wearing diapers? kind of posts). Now I'm on a board through yahoogroups called affirmativeparenting. It's for parents of kids the age of my kids and older, and the parents are all pretty much of the same mindset, so it's not infuriating and it's very helpful (like when someone like me posts, "Hey, what do you think of my kid refusing to sit at the breakfast table and eat peacefully?" no one will respond with, "Well, maybe you should consider that he's expressing deep-seeded resentment over the fact that you've served him pancakes for the third day in a row..."). I've discovered that there is no issue in the world more divisive than parenting styles. Everyone thinks he/she is doing it right - even the parents who think they might be doing it wrong, if that makes sense.

But look through babycenter if you haven't already. A lot of the information for newborns is really helpful; at the very least, it reminds you that every first-time parent with a newborn is a little jittery and uncertain (you should have seen me the first time my son had a fever - he was 5 months old, and you would have thought he had grown another body part and was vomiting purple Chee-tos, the way I reacted to it). My sister has a 2-month-old and suggests mothering.com (very crunchy, she said), too.

Jan 28th 2007

Weird. The last thing I did before reading your post LT was read my "My Baby this Week" email from Babycenter. Brian, if you're interested Babycenter will send you an email every week to give you advice on how to care for your baby at different stages of his life. Yes, sometimes I don't have time to read them and they just get deleted but I've also read some good things from them too. (I definitely don't recommend joining any conversations, though, for the same reasons LT described above- some of those parents get downright nasty!)

Jan 28th 2007 edited

I heartily second the recommendation for the MDC forums. There are some very intelligent moms and dads there.

Mrs. Brian could start here. And there is also a forum specifically for dads.

Jan 28th 2007

You guys rock, thanks!

Jan 28th 2007

I should add that there is even an 'Office" thread on MDC! Of course, they are all just lost not knowing about this great place here! I have to pop in every once in a while and help them out with some of the finer points of the show. Hee hee.

Jan 29th 2007

KarenM, so you may be part-Schrute, huh? For the sake of your tiny one, I hope not. It's an especially cold winter and you know what the Schrutes sometimes resort to... But, thankfully, with those large femurs, she's probably not the weakest of the brood.

Congratulations, KarenM! Hope you are feeling well!

Jan 29th 2007

Oh, us hot-house flowers aren't worried about the cold this year. Since we got our furnace replaced three weeks ago, I've been running that sucker at a tropical 70 degrees (to make up for the entire month of December having no heat at all). I feel more like Bob Vance in Orlando. Does anyone else smell pine? But thanks for your concern. I'll keep an eye out for desperate impulses. After all, I don't go to the grocery store, remember?

I am feeling fine, unless I'm talking to another pregnant person, in which I can generate a whole litany of bitches and moans. Baby 1 and I are going to buy sheets and mattress pads for the second crib today. And then eat fish tacos... I'll hate giving those up when my calorie excuses are gone!

Feb 15th 2007 edited

Boys probably won't want to read this, so consider it a "spoiler" as in a TMI spoiling of an appetite. Even if I do mention the Three Stooges in it. (Girls, it's not that gross.) .
So I had the second of my now-weekly doctor visits: I'm not leaking amniotic fluid (didn't think so but brought it up), I am at 3 centimeter dilation and 50 percent effacement. I got the lecture from the nurse to pack my bag and take labor signs seriously and to not eff around about getting to the hospital. No one likes a three stooges delivery in the check-in line, she said. She also said, after measuring the bump and feeling around with her hands, that she thought this baby was on the small side, too. So much for the long femurs! And she didn't think anything was coming tonight. It's not that critical. My next appointment is in five days. I'm not technically due for nine and the last baby was late and would have been later if they'd let him.

I guess I better start paying attention to the serious work (for money) that I committed to. It's been so hard to focus lately, though. Posting here is all the attention span I've had. But no more! How long do you think my self-discipline will last?

Feb 15th 2007

You can't faze this guy with that kind of talk, so no worries there.

I am at 3 centimeter dilation and 50 percent effacement

My wife had our son 36 hours after she reached these measurements. Good luck and do whatever the nurses tell you to do!

Feb 15th 2007

Thanks for the update, KarenM. Best wishes and keep us posted!

And this may seem weird coming from me, but I was a little disappointed at the lack of shock value in your post. Nothing gross in there at all. We've come to expect the Fear Factorish from you. ;)

Feb 15th 2007

Well, I didn't tell anyone about the pee geyser I had Friday morning climbing out of bed. That's why.

Feb 15th 2007 edited

It'll be awesome! Terrifying and awesome and overwhelming and awesome and frustrating and awesome and exhausting and awesome.

How old is your first? (Apologies if I missed it in an earlier post)

Feb 15th 2007

pee geyser

There ya go.

Feb 15th 2007

pee geyser

Aw, now that ain't right.

Feb 15th 2007

Baby #1 is eighteen months old and the geyser was purely mechanical. The perfect storm of wrong angles. I justify this TMI with the impression that "fear factor" details were practically requested.

Feb 15th 2007

the impression that "fear factor" details were practically requested.

They were indeed. Universe: you win.

Feb 15th 2007

haha

Feb 15th 2007

I was just about to bump this thread today, and announce that we've all been slacking on the baby watch front. So it looks like your baby is going to have a February birthday, which I can tell you is awesome. I remember telling my parents as a youngster that it was perfect to have a birthday in February because it was just long enough after Christmas that all the presents I had gotten were gone/boring by then. I'm sure they appreciated that.

Feb 16th 2007

KarenM, I can't believe you still have the presence of mind to turn on the computer, never mind post to a forum, when you're probably leaking water and are about to give birth at any time. I think you are part Schrute.

Feb 16th 2007

I'm eight days out and first baby was late. They did the slide under the microscope test and the ph test and it's just plain old whatever, not the proverbial birth waters. I actually remembered to turn in the library books today, too. I had a lot out. Turns out I had exceeded the limit of 40 items or $600 of value (I was over on value). The librarian was annoyed I'd been allowed to check out so much stuff in the first place. What I returned knocked me down to $595. It's those darn audiobooks I get for my husband's commute, but I do have a lot for a project I'm doing. I just CANNOT forget to renew the first batch that I have left on Tuesday.

Besides, according to Brian, I still have five hours to kill.

Feb 16th 2007

Just popping in to send you good vibes, KarenM. Hopefully Brian's calculations are right. :o)

If more moms would admit this, the country would be a better place. Really.

And LT, you are spot on. Although I'm not ready to admit PRECISELY how long it's been since I mopped the floors, but suffice it to say, it's been longer than healthy.

Feb 16th 2007

Hopefully Brian's calculations are right. :o)

Bite your tongue. I'm trying to push dates back to March psychosomatically.

Feb 16th 2007 edited

Now I'm a neonatal prognosticator? We should start a pool. (That sounds good, but I'm never sure how pools work, besides Super Bowl pools.)

At least Feb. 29 isn't an issue, KarenM. It's tough to have a 12-year-old when you're in your late 70s.

ETA: we had our one-month appt. today: up three pounds and one inch. Based on percentiles, he's short and fat. Like father like son, I guess.

Feb 16th 2007 edited

As you said, Brian,

My wife had our son 36 hours after she reached these measurements.

It is now 4 1/2 hours until my 36 hours are up. And let's not complicate matters with your new talk of most ingenious paradoxes revolving around Leap Year.

edited to point out again how much I love tracking percentiles! Congrats on the weight gain

Feb 16th 2007

Bite your tongue. I'm trying to push dates back to March psychosomatically.

Well, you're the mama, so whatever you want. :o)

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 116
Top of PageBack to discussions