Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
We don't need to drink our own urine, but let's recycle: NA's Freecycle Yankee Swap
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 136
Jan 28th 2007 edited

The other day my sister gave away a car on Freecycle (she's not that much of a hero - it didn't run, and she gave it away for parts). Anyway, it got me thinking: I don't use freecycle, but there are lots of miscellaneous items I find throughout the day that I really have no use for anymore. Some of them I give to Goodwill, but other things are items that I don't even think Goodwill takes (for example, yarn, which I will get to in a minute). eBay fees are ridiculous and to list on there is time-consuming, anyway, so what if we have our own informal Yankee Swap here? (I thought this was closer to the idea of the original Yankee Swap, anyway. At least, that's how it is in Yankee magazine classifieds: "I will let you stay in my Maine lake house for one week in exchange for 12 wooden birdhouses," etc.). It could be fun, it would help us all get rid of clutter, and it would do the environment good.

I don't want any money or even a swap for my first item. You can have it for the asking. I found a basket of perfectly good yarn in my closet the other day. I know there are lots of knitters here who might like it. Once upon a time I had lots of projects in mind, and then suddenly my son was born four years ago, and I haven't picked up a knitting needle since (I haven't cleaned the bathroom very often, either, but that is neither here nor there). The yarn just sits in my closet and taunts me, a constant reminder of projects left unfinished (besides, the basket it's in is really nice, and I want to use it for something else). It all weighs about 4 pounds, and I'll mail it to you in the cheapest way possible (if you want to go to usps.com and get rates, I'm in ZIP 28215). I just want it out of my house. If you want details about any of the yarn, I can provide it. There are 2 full skeins of Homespun in 336 Barrington, 2 full skeins of Lion Brand Quick & Thick Chenille in 141 Dusty Mauve, 2 full balls of Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Denim Twist, and 3 (a little less) skeins of allure eyelash yarn in a dark maroon (this was too hard for me to knit with - I kept losing my spot), plus some miscellaneous balls (insert a TWSS joke here if you must) of which I can't remember the origin.
Do your part for a greener Earth. Take my yarn. Please.

(I can't remember if Dwight actually uses the phrase "drink my own urine" in an episode, or if I just remember it from Dodgeball, but it fits here. Besides, it sounds like something Dwight would say).

Jan 28th 2007

Interesting idea, LT.

(I can't remember if Dwight actually uses the phrase "drink my own urine" in an episode, or if I just remember it from Dodgeball, but it fits here. Besides, it sounds like something Dwight would say).

I think he was once described as someone who, if he was trapped in an elevator, would be drinking his own urine within ten minutes. If I recall correctly, it was in an article that contained character descriptions that were given out before the show was aired...maybe for casting purposes? It's probably around here somewhere...

Jan 28th 2007

I hope I am not stepping on any moderator toes or ignoring protocol by starting the thread, Nathan. I just want a cleaner house. And I truly believe that there's enough "used" stuff in the world to make it go round and round, over and over again, without having to buy new stuff, except in some rare instances.

Jan 28th 2007

I hope I am not stepping on any moderator toes or ignoring protocol by starting the thread, Nathan.

Oh, absolutely not.

Jan 28th 2007

I would totally say yes to the yarn, but have to resist right now. I can't think of anything I would make in those colors, and I already feel like my fabric is clutter enough! I may press my luck and see if it's still around later. Eyelash intimidates me, though. I really want to get back to quilting after this knitting business subsides.

How would people like a book swap? I've seen book boxes set up and sent around on other websites. I think the general premise is that someone starts with ten books they have lying around and enjoyed, but don't want to keep necessarily. They box them up, send them to the next person on the list, who pulls out what looks interesting and replaces them, and sends them onto the next person. Media mail within the US is pretty cheap, if slow. The box supposedly travels around and around, delighting everyone in its path.

Jan 28th 2007

I am totally on board with the round-robin book box, too. Seriously, I'm looking at 10 books even as I type this, and I could send the box out tomorrow. How do you keep track of names and addresses? Should we start a list? Who wants the books first? Let's go! I want these books outta here! And there are some good ones, too. There's even a David Sedaris book in the pile.

Jan 28th 2007

I would get in on that book thing. I think when you can keep the cost and the hassle down, things like this can work really well. Oh, and I'm going to pass on the yarn, too.

Jan 28th 2007

Oooh! LT, I'd be glad to take the yarn! Do you suppose we should instill a rule that if you take something, you have to offer something else up? Or shall I knit you a hat with your yarn? Expect an e-mail soon...

Also, I am loving the book idea.

Jan 28th 2007

I love the idea about the books as well! Count me in.

Jan 28th 2007 edited

I love the book idea, in fact I was just going to suggest it after reading LT's first post. I volunteer to keep a list of names and addresses and organize this shindig.

I have so much yarn that a bag of it actually fell out of my closet and hit me in the head the other day. I haven't decided to give any away yet, but I'll try to organize and see what I come up with.

Edit: So yeah, I guess everyone who would like to participate in this Round (Rockin') Robin Book Swap, send me an email? My address is in my profile.

Jan 28th 2007

Of all the things that could fall out of the closet and land on your head, I'd say a bag of yarn would be the best. A box of books would be the worst. Or free weights. Whatevs, are you just using reverse psychology to try and get LT to take your knitted hat?

Jan 28th 2007 edited

Whatevs, are you just using reverse psychology to try and get LT to take your knitted hat?

Aw, c'mon, Brian! That was kinda mean! (But, I know you are a jokester, so, it's all good.)

My hats and scarves come from a place of Love. One of the things I appreciate about LT's offer is that I would have never bought colors in that scheme. They are good colors, mind you, just not ones I would choose. So, if I could knit her (or one of her kids) a hat/scarf from her own materials that would be pretty cool.

Jan 28th 2007

Totally joking! Sorry if it seemed otherwise. I really schruted that wisecrack, I guess.

Jan 28th 2007 edited

Brian, it's cool. We have an understanding at this point, don't we? I know you meant no harm.

I was just funning with you! BTW, how is Little Baby Kev?

Edited because if I want to know how Brian's fatherhood is going, I should ask in the appropriate thread.

Jan 29th 2007

The yarn is gone! Woo hoo! The feng shui (sp?) in my house is improving already. Thanks, whatevs!

Jan 29th 2007

feng shui (sp?)

You are correct.

Jan 29th 2007

No, prob, LT. I'll send you a picture of whatever your yarn turns into!

Jan 29th 2007

Ok, so far I've gotten emails from Brian, KarenM, and LT. Anyone else want in on the book swap? I'll leave the list open until the end of Wednesday.

Jan 29th 2007

I'm in. I haven't been reading nearly as much as I used to lately. Maybe this will jump start me.

Jan 29th 2007

Sounds like fun to me, too. Count me in.

Jan 31st 2007

Just a reminder that tonight is the last night to sign up for the book swap by sending me an email with your address!

Jan 31st 2007

Yay, I'll email you right now! I hope I find some good books to take with me on my honeymoon in April!

Jan 31st 2007

You're going to read on your honeymoon?

Jan 31st 2007

The books are for the long flight cause we're going to an all-inclusive resort...and you know what that means..meh, meeeh ;o)

Feb 1st 2007 edited

Hey all, I'm close to sending out the email with everyone's addresses for our grand book swap, but I still need an address for Post-it Thief, if she'd still like to participate :)

I sent you an email, P-iT, but I know how those things go, so in case you didn't get it, I'm letting you know here.

Feb 1st 2007

Alright-count me all in.

Feb 7th 2007

I have so much yarn that a bag of it actually fell out of my closet and hit me in the head the other day. I haven't decided to give any away yet, but I'll try to organize and see what I come up with.

Nevermind. I figured out what to do with my plethora of yarn. Brian and KarenM, expect packages...sometime. That's the best time frame I can give you.

Feb 7th 2007

So am I to suppose that the home address I generously made available to the book box is going to be put to illicit use? But that's pretty funny... I was thinking of using the addresses for small packages of my own. I hope we aren't thinking of the same thing. Yours will probably be better. Which puts into mind another question (not related to this) that I will go post on the Question thread.

Feb 7th 2007

I feel God in this Chili's.

Feb 7th 2007

So am I to suppose that the home address I generously made available to the book box is going to be put to illicit use?

Obviously. Why would you give your address out to people you met on the internet? That's just crazy.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 136
Top of PageBack to discussions