Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Good vocabularies run amuck: What are your favorite words?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >
1 to 30 of 1295
Feb 2nd 2007

Mine change all the time. Right now they are:

• amuck (this has been one for a long time; I love the way it sounds, and the fact that it implies unfathomable chaos).
  • obviously (so much sarcasm packed into one word).
  • nonetheless (there aren't many words out there that are really three whole words packed into one, so this is very efficient, and I like that).

This is totally off-topic, but I know that other people here have favorite words, just because the words sound neat or they have special meaning. So...what are your favorite words?

Feb 2nd 2007

Oh, LT. You are the queen of new threads.

My favorite word-of-the-day: discombobulated.

Feb 2nd 2007

Thanks, whatevs ;-). I only thought of it when I realized that my wild speculation on the speculation thread was running amuck, so I put a stop to it. And then I thought about how much I love that word. And then I thought that there are a lot of intelligent, articulate people here, and we've already had some discussion about words and pet peeves and such. And then I thought that special words deserve their own thread.

There was obviously a lot of thought put into this. Even though that whole thought process only took several seconds.

Feb 2nd 2007

Seriously, I bet this thread will be seriously funny. Seriously. I like that you can seriously say seriously without opening your teeth. Cuz' I'm linguistically lazy.

Feb 2nd 2007

And I forgot one:

• skeevy (2C2C used this in another thread to speculate about Brian's mailman, and I just love the sound of that word. You get a very clear picture in your head when someone is described as being skeevy).
Feb 2nd 2007

"contiguous"

Is there any use for this word except "the contiguous United States". Like if we got rid of Alaska and Hawaii, would this word ever be used?

Feb 2nd 2007

Well apart from my aforementioned (<---- good one) love (read: obsession) of the word Chillicothe, I also very much like the words apothecary (for similar reasons), copesthetic (for sound and meaning), and wicket (because for some unknown reason, this word is funny to me). That is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. I love words. I'm a nerd. Great off the wall thread topic LT!

Feb 2nd 2007

"antidisestablishmentarianism"

Although I can't think of a time that I could work it into a conversation...

Feb 2nd 2007

Chillicothe, I also very much like the words apothecary (for similar reasons), copesthetic (for sound and meaning), and wicket (because for some unknown reason, this word is funny to me).

OMG, I love all those words! :)

"antidisestablishmentarianism" Although I can't think of a time that I could work it into a conversation...

And, wow, are you really my husband, Urkel...grue? He loves that word and says it all the time to our two-year-old.

I like the word ethereal.

I had this friend in college who hated the word moist.

Feb 2nd 2007

Okay, Urkel...grue, so your listing of antidisestablishmentarianism led me to look it up and find a wikipedia article on it. Interesting. However, more interesting than the actual meaning of the word, was the discussion of its status as "longest English word" which has technically been trumped by none other than: "floccinaucinihilipilification." Wow. Here is a link to a definition and discussion of said word with audio of pronunciation: floccinaucinihilipilification

Feb 2nd 2007

CE that is very weird, b/c I also had a roommate in college who hated the word moist! Is it just me or do you hear the Twilight Zone theme playing too? Her name wasn't Meg was it?

Feb 2nd 2007

Nice, Pate!

Feb 2nd 2007

I've always like "epideictic." And "defenestration," though that one doesn't come up too much. Whenever I'm writing papers or anything, I tend to use "however" and "although" a lot. Big fan of dependent clauses.

Feb 2nd 2007

Pate, yeah, I hear the music, but thankfully that was not her name. ;-)

Feb 2nd 2007

I'm a big fan of "ennui". I've always gotten this sense of sexy boredom from it. Plus, it's fun to say.

Feb 2nd 2007 edited

Unitard
Say it and try not to smile. I dare you.

Unctuous
A fun word. Just hope never to be described as such.

sternocleidomastoid
My favorite muscle.

wax
The biblical one. Awesome.

I suck at markdown!

Feb 2nd 2007

I learned defenestration from Calvin & Hobbes.

Unitard is the funniest word I've heard since celebutard (i.e. Paris Hilton).

And my contributions are flabbergasted, from a 6th grade vocabulary quiz, and plethora, from the SAT.

Feb 2nd 2007

I go back and forth. At the moment, I'm in love with the word ampersand (&). It's just so cool and intelligent-sounding. I want to start a book company called Ampersand Publishing. There might already be one, but I doubt it.

Feb 2nd 2007

'Ampersand'- I always thought this word should be "stands for and"

Maybe its my dyslexia acting up

Feb 3rd 2007

I've always been a big fan of onomatopoeia, which is a word that is a description of the sound it makes, like buzz, crack, or cuckoo.

Feb 3rd 2007

Snarky. I've liked that word for a while, too, and all its derivations. Snarky snarky snarky snark. You can't even really say it right unless you kind of say it through your nose a little, with your nose crinkled up a little, which is how it should be.

Feb 3rd 2007

Dang it! There's already an Ampersand Publishing and they "Specialize in publications for the modeller and military enthusiast." ?!

Other words I like include gossamer and chiasm. LT, I love the word snarky also!

Feb 3rd 2007

My favorite word of all time is "Clipping," because of its sound. For some reason, I also like the word Tepid far too much.

Other good words....

• monad - a single unit; the number one.

• deflagrate - burn away or cause (a substance) to burn away with a sudden flame and rapid, sharp combustion : [ trans. ] the current will deflagrate some of the particles

• frizzante - semisparkling

A word that I used the other day that I've never actually used in a sentence until this point, but knew.....(don't be scared): Pederasty. Of course, philanderer is also a good one to throw into coversation.

Feb 3rd 2007

Flagrant...very under-used.

Feb 3rd 2007

I have two favorite words. They, however, are not English. Umgebung (environment) in German, because I love the way it sounds and Vluchtplan (escape/flight plan) in Dutch for no particular reason.

I have barely working knowledge of German and only a passing interest in Dutch ('Learn Dutch' book checked out from University Library still untouched...), but I digress.

I like digress.

Feb 3rd 2007

Penultimate.
Marsupial.
Jurisprudence.
Slurve.

Feb 3rd 2007

Jurisprudence reminded me of another of my favs-juxtapose or juxtaposition.

Feb 3rd 2007

Aye, that's another solid word.

(Did I just say "aye"?)

Feb 3rd 2007

Wonky. Not that I use this word, but I have noticed a rise in media usage lately. EW used it to describe Little Miss Sunshine as in "This wonky tale is the only Best Picture nominee available on DVD". I guess its fun to say...wonky,wonky,wonky.

Feb 3rd 2007 edited

Nice one, PG.

A few of mine: incalcacable, dealio, epiphery, spinstahs. Not good.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >