Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Good vocabularies run amuck: What are your favorite words?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >
31 to 60 of 1301
Feb 3rd 2007

Snarky makes me angry. So does wonky. Who can say how words inspire particular emotions?

Words that end in -sm like chasm or schism always sound dirty to me.

deflagrate

I didn't know that one, but I like conflagration, which seems to have the same root.

Flagrant

That word is foul.

Slurve.

What if a pitcher came up with a half curveball-half cutter? What would they call that?

Feb 3rd 2007

"detriment" is the only one I can think of off-hand.

Feb 3rd 2007

Oh, and then there's "embiggen" and "cromulent."

Feb 3rd 2007

embiggen

That's another dirty word.

Feb 4th 2007

embiggen

That's another dirty word.

It's not dirty, it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Feb 4th 2007

if a pitcher came up with a half curveball-half cutter? What would they call that?

A strike?

Feb 4th 2007 edited

What if a pitcher came up with a half curveball-half cutter? What would they call that?

Whatever it would be, it would be better than a half slider-half cutter...

Feb 4th 2007

dang it, that's what I meant to say, and I didn't realize it until now

Feb 4th 2007 edited

It's not a word but I love the phrase "the calm before the storm," especially to describe someone's mental state. It's so visual and visceral. Visceral is also a good word, as is corporeal. I guess I have a physical thing going today.

I expect no one to say yes, but does anyone remember the Dave Letterman Top Ten List of Words We Love to Hear James Earl Jones Say? It was way back when the winter olympics were in Norway. Mellifluous and verissimilitude were on the list, as were guppy and Oprah. I remember this because I was a resident advisor that year, with my own bedroom and I'd gotten a teeny TV for Christmas and the novelty of watching hadn't worn off. Plus that channel came in well without cable.

Feb 4th 2007

I like swimmingly.

Feb 4th 2007 edited

Favorite words:

*bedraggled -- because it sounds made up
*plethora -- because it sounds a little naughty
*pithy -- because it sounds like Daffy Duck saying......well, you know...

Least favorite word:

*ironical -- because it sounds made up

Call this hypocracy, but since it is opinion, I am entitled...:)

Feb 4th 2007

does anyone remember the Dave Letterman Top Ten List of Words We Love to Hear James Earl Jones Say?

I believe #1 was, and I"ll be astounded if we're thinking of the same episode, Boutros Boutros Gali. He probably used that List theme more than once, though.

Feb 4th 2007 edited

I like the words that copy editors only use in newspaper headlines because they're short, rather than because they're words real people use, or words reporters use because they think they sound reportorial. For example:

Council nixes development plan (I've never nixed anything or anyone, at least not intentionally.)

Community Day celebration scuttled (Ships can be scuttled, if you're in the Navy maybe.)

The mayor and his chief strategist are at loggerheads over how best to counter allegations of pedophilia and spousal abuse that continue to dog the campaign. (Loggerheads? Seriously? I like that use of "dog," though.)

Feb 4th 2007

I like a lot of words in the "altercation" family: fracas, melee, donnybrook, rhubarb.

Feb 4th 2007 edited

fracas

Good one.

I like brouhaha, flounder, askew, lollygag, pussyfoot.

Another fave, bragadocious. It makes me feel very Texan.

Feb 4th 2007

I remember Boutros-Boutrous Ghali, and I think we are thinking of the same list. 1994 rocked, baby!

Feb 4th 2007

I like words mostly for how they sound, which is a remnant, I suppose, of the years I spent writing poems and collecting words to go in them. On this level, I rather like:

• Diaphonous - which I'm not sure I can actually spell
  • I have no care for either "wise" or "tiny" in and of themselves, but together they are beautiful - The phrase "wise tiny things" shows up a lot in poems I wrote back in the day, and I think must come from a line from Richard Hugo: "Believe / you and I sing tiny and wise and could if we had to eat stone and go on."
  • Nefarious - a good, bulbous-sounding word
  • Bulbous, for that matter -- the strangest coincidental onomonpoeia I've ever run into
  • I have a growing obsession with a quasi-neologism that I came up with to describe someone with bad teeth the other day, but it involves a very naughty word, so I'll just link to this, and suggest that those who object to cuss words not follow the link.
Feb 5th 2007

So, umm. where the ** ya been, bro?

Feb 5th 2007

carousing

Feb 5th 2007

wax

I love seeing that here!! At a dinner last year, I used the phrase "in a wax" about a friend of mine who was freaking out about a job interview nightmare that she had just experienced. I said that she was "in a wax about it" and everyone at the table accused me of using a phrase that didn't even exist (because they hadn't "heard it before"). I was so confident, and in a wax myself, about the whole ordeal, I bet everyone at the table $5 that it was a real phrase. Let's just say, I ended up not having to pay my share of the meal cost that night and also got an exta $10 out of it. Yay!

I also love the word "effete"

Feb 5th 2007

Ensconced

Feb 5th 2007 edited

nice karenm

Feb 5th 2007

so I'll just link to this, and suggest that those who object to cuss words not follow the link.

DftF, I'm still laughing! I'm going to use it three times, and then it will be permanent in my head....(how can it not be already???)

Feb 5th 2007

Oh, and that made me laugh so much I forgot to add one of my own...

amok

Cousin to the amuck...

Feb 5th 2007 edited

amuck has been bothering me for days and I couldn't make my brain tell me why (edit: Evidently it's an acceptable variation for amok. Cool.)

Anyway...

vis a vis

and

via

Feb 5th 2007

vis a vis

Always reminds me of the scene in "The Matrix" where the architect goes on about "vis a vis" & "ergo", and it makes me laugh just a little.

Feb 5th 2007

I came here thinking you were going to post "Orwellian," Brian. A word I really like is really a name. Alistair. I like how it's spelled "stair" but pronounced "ster".

Feb 5th 2007

amuck has been bothering me for days and I couldn't make my brain tell me why

I felt the same way when I first typed it; it looked weird, but I looked it up in the dictionary, and sure enough, there is was, along with amok.

Feb 5th 2007

"ergo"

I used to go out with a guy who said "ergo" all the time. I hate that word.

Feb 5th 2007

It's one of those "love to hate" words. Like flagrant & platypus.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >