Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Good vocabularies run amuck: What are your favorite words?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >
61 to 90 of 1301
Feb 5th 2007

I'm a huge fan of "uber" - it is uber-fun to say.
Also, segue (because it does not look like it sounds).

Feb 5th 2007

flagrant

Makes me giggle.

Feb 5th 2007 edited

Flagrant just makes me think of Ron Artest. (edit: It's a foul word, as Brian has already said.)

While I'm here: Litigious
Lugubrious
Pontificate
Asphyxia

Feb 5th 2007

Who hates "platypus"? Regular pus, yeah. That's nasty. But platypuses(?) are cute. I mean, they're mammals and they have bills. Awesome. Cool animals. Almost as good as komodo dragons.

Feb 5th 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot turgid.

Feb 5th 2007

Turgid makes me think of turd. Sorry, but that needed to be said.

Feb 5th 2007

Akimbo.

Feb 5th 2007

Akimbo

Oooo, good.

platypuses(?)

Platypi?

Feb 5th 2007

Platypi?

Hmmm.

Feb 5th 2007
Feb 5th 2007

According to Wikipedia:

There is no universally agreed upon plural of "platypus" in the English language. Scientists generally use "platypuses", "platypoda", or simply "platypus". Colloquially, "platypi" is also used for the plural, although this is pseudo-Latin.

I like the pseudo-Latin, myself. For instance, I like to think that the plural of "Elvis" is not "Elvises" but "Elvi". I'm all for it.

Feb 5th 2007

Ahh. So it's in the fungus/fungi/funguses family then. Good to know.

Feb 5th 2007

I like radii, because it's so short & yet has 3 syllables.

Feb 5th 2007

Two more: synecdoche and zeitgeist

Feb 5th 2007

I think I love "platypoda." But "Elvi" is cool, too.

Feb 5th 2007

Schadenfreude. It's also one of my favorite emotions.

Feb 5th 2007

I've heard Elvii for Elvis too.

Feb 5th 2007

Aren't we the intellectual bunch.

Feb 5th 2007 edited

cromulent

To be honest saraeanderson I had to look this one up in Encarta, and this is what I found:

We didn't find a match on "cromulent," but we found the following alternate spellings for you. Click one to continue your search. corpulent crapulent

I kinda like the word crapulent as well as it's meaning.

Feb 5th 2007

Craptacular, if we are going the hip portmanteau route. (Portmanteau isn't too shabby either, as long as we are going the intellectual bunch route.)

Feb 5th 2007

Craptacular...related to Craptastic?

Feb 5th 2007

How could I forget cankles?!

Feb 5th 2007

Fraught, Ubiquitous, and Yodel (also a great Drake's Cake)

Feb 5th 2007

nihilism is great, but I don't like annals, as in the annals of history, simply because it's a typo away from being gross

Feb 5th 2007

I don't like annals, as in the annals of history, simply because it's a typo away from being gross.

Brian,

I actually spit a little (literally) reading that. Now, I really must go to bed. G,nite y'all.

Feb 5th 2007

That, I think you're learning, is why I'm here.

Feb 5th 2007

That, I think you're learning, is why I'm here.

ZZZ....wha?? So I can spit somemore? Dammit, man! Let me sleep! Snerzelsnoooze...

Feb 5th 2007

Litigious

I love that word too. And:

ubiquitous
cacophony
plethora

Feb 6th 2007

I like radii, because it's so short & yet has 3 syllables.

Like Hawaii. Or Elvii.

To be honest saraeanderson I had to look this one up in Encarta, and this is what I found:

Hey Pam Pong, Cromulent is actually a Simpsons joke. Along with Embiggens. I'd love to explain it, but it's probably quicker to find the episode and watch it!

On another note, I've always been fascinated with words that have more vowels than consonants, like ease. Also names with the same characteristic, like Idi Amin. They look nice to me. They sort of conjure up images of roundness... I know that's weird. Is there a name for those types of words?

Feb 6th 2007

nevertheless
notwithstanding
i think these must have started out as screen names. i wonder what was the situation that allowed someone to just push the words in these two phrases together and everyone just start using them that way.

vomit
your mouth opens saying this word and then when it closes on the m it has a certain fullness to it and yet you are holding your lips together. its like it comes with its own little reminder of the experience.

and monkey and possum are funny no matter the context.
and chicken, too.
and persnickety.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...