Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Good vocabularies run amuck: What are your favorite words?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >
121 to 150 of 1301
Feb 7th 2007

Balaclava

Feb 7th 2007 edited

Balaclava

That's a lot like two favorite words:

baklava m-m-m...yes, please.

balalaika Russian stringed instrument. I bought one at a thrift store and it hangs on my wall. Great word.

Feb 7th 2007

Studebaker
onomatopoeia
iambic pentameter
stalwart
iridescent
bollocks

Feb 7th 2007

I also have favorite exclamations that I rarely get to use, as it's 2007, not 1950 something...

Zounds!
Golly!
Shucks!
Wowie zowie!
Wowza!

Feb 7th 2007

I like to say Sphincter even though I rarely have an occasion to build a sentence around it.

Feb 7th 2007

tungsten

Feb 7th 2007

lollipop

Feb 7th 2007

hippo

Feb 7th 2007

catatonic

Feb 7th 2007

Xanadu

Feb 7th 2007

Fortissimo

rigamaroll

tippy toe

hoochie mama (but only as said by Kramer)

Feb 7th 2007

pshaw. I heard it on the radio today. I don't know the origin (sounds like a job for 2C2C - she's very good at tracking things down), but I find it hard to imagine that people ever used it without intending to sound sarcastic and over-the-top. Is it supposed to mimic a sound?

Feb 7th 2007

reminds me of Rickshaw, which besides being a mode of transport sounds like the name of some 80s band frontman with a bad mullet and a penchant for ballads.

Feb 7th 2007

Cryptic

Feb 7th 2007

reminds me of Rickshaw, which besides being a mode of transport sounds like the name of some 80s band frontman with a bad mullet and a penchant for ballads.

Maybe 2C2C can look up rickshaw, too. The name, not the word. I bet she'd find someone fitting your description.

Feb 7th 2007

hootenanny
humdinger
dang nabbit

Feb 7th 2007

Is it supposed to mimic a sound?

Yeah, I think it represents a snort that one makes in reaction to a ridiculous statement.

Feb 7th 2007

Did someone already say lollygag?

Feb 7th 2007

Here's a winner...coxswain.

Feb 7th 2007

Yeah, I think it represents a snort that one makes in reaction to a ridiculous statement.

I tried to snort and make it sound like that, and I can't do it. I knew the meaning, but I've never actually heard anyone make the sound organically.

Everyone try it! On your mark, get set....

Feb 7th 2007

Gesundheit!

Oh and I like that word, too....

Feb 7th 2007 edited

Ask and you shall receive. I present to you Rick Shaw. Back in the day, he could have had a mullet and sang ballads. There's no way of knowing. He also runs rickshaw.com.

And here are two little article-y things on "pshaw." (On the second link, scroll down to the 2nd from last little article-y thing.)

And to add a word: Article-y.

Edited to Add: I really like finding things online. I don't know why. Maybe that should just go in the quirks thread. But it really is a good break from real work.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

Start with SSsh, then the vocal cords kick in at the end, more of a "shuh". The word is then an exaggerated overspelling of the sound.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

I went back to Rick Shaw's blog, and back in October 2005, his sons got haircuts. It appears they must have had long hair, judging from the amount of hair cut off. If they did, in fact, have mullets, it could be a style that is common in their family. Unfortunately, there is not a definitive answer, yet. There is no significant progress to report on the ballad front, however.

Feb 7th 2007

You are a quality individual 2CtC. And that guy's pic reminds me of Charlie Daniels.

Feb 7th 2007

Thanks, 2C2C! I knew we could count on you :-). I started laughing as soon as I saw your post, even before I clicked on the links.

And that guy definitely used to be a balladeer (cool word alert!). He might be the drummer from Winger.

Feb 7th 2007

I also have favorite exclamations that I rarely get to use, as it's 2007, not 1950 something

Curses! Foiled again! (I actually say that sometimes.)

Ye gods! (I say that one a lot, actually.)

Zounds is good.

I remember being in a train station in Munich, and a very polite-sounding lady came on and said, "Achtung, achtung," in mellow tones. It just sounded so wrong.

Feb 7th 2007

insouciance

I can never remember how to spell that one. Thanks, dictionary.com!

Feb 8th 2007 edited

wont
ilk

Feb 8th 2007

Is it okay that I like the word badonkadonk? My whole family uses it.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 44
  12. >