Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Sorry, but I'm just not into JAM
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 97
Feb 5th 2007 edited

I remember when the X-Files was huge, and there was always those fans who were either "shippers" (for a Mulder/Scully relationship) or not. I actually was a "shipper" fan. However, although I love Jenna/Pam and John/Jim, and I do believe they'll make a great couple when they do finally get together, I can't stand this JAM buzz anymore. Any Office site I go to, in hopes of just discussing the episodes in general, are flooded with Jammers. It doesn't matter what the forum discussion is labeled, it will always turn into a disection of those two. So, if you are obsessed with JAM, that's great. However, I am not obsessed. If there is anyone out there who feels the same way I do (although I'm starting to think there isnt), then please, join me in discussing ANYTHING else about the show except JAM.

Feb 5th 2007 edited

Hmm, well I am a Jammer, but I can respect your opinion. My boyfriend and our mutual friends who think that the office is just the greatest show on TV aren't big into JAM either. They don't mind the Jim and Pam saga, but it just doesn't make the show for them, and they just don't talk about it either, which is why I think for them there is little interest in these discussion boards. We all generally discuss the humor element the day after it airs, (wasn't this funny or it was hilarious when...) and during the week we will call out "man meat" or something but what can you honestly add to it past that?

JAM is different because it truly is the only real story line running in the office. Sure more recently we are seeing major development in Dwight and Angela and in Jan and Micheal, but in comparision you have to admit these have been pretty minor. Let's fact it, most the jokes don't even carry over to the next episode.

The JAM relationship gives something to really talk about, there is speculation, there is disappointment in either character when people feel they should have done something different, there is debate on intpretation of what the characters said or feel and there is even debates on people who think they shouldn't end up together. JAM give us a little something new each week to add to a pool of dicussion. Thus, I think in any forum you enter on the Office, topic will probably naturally turn to JAM, love them or hate them.

Feb 5th 2007

Hey, whorishgreen (I feel kinda slimy writing that ;-)). When did you start watching the show? I'm curious because I always wonder if people who started watching it fairly recently (this season) are non-JAMmers, since there's not a whole lot of JAM to go on thus far in Season 3. Of course, this may not be the case with you at all, and maybe you've watched since the beginning. Just curious :-). I'm pretty sure I would not care at all about Jim and Pam if I had not seen all of the episodes up until Season 3.

Feb 5th 2007 edited

stillme, thank you for that very nice reply. I appreciate it. One thing I can say about this site and many other Office fan sites, is that the board members are very nice, and very insightful.
I can see your point, and I understand why people do get into JAM. Honestly, back in season 2, I was somewhat of a Jammer, even if it was just for a month or so. For me, I guess I just tend to view things as if they have already happened. So, in my mind, since I see that Jim is and has been madly in love with Pam, and now Pam is finally realizing her feelings for Jim, I know that at some point...they'll be together. So, I guess that allows me to not get caught up in every little glance and gesture. I think I'm more the type of person that gets real involved in the character development. Which, one could argue, is what Jam is all about. I don't think it is though. Because, although the characters of Jim and Pam have been developed to a certain point since season 1, I don't see them in having all that much TO develop, in the grand scheme of things. They are two people, in their twenties, who are at a standstill because they are just starting to learn what they really want. And that is obviously heading towards being together, and getting out of DunderMifflin (perhaps). That's like...2 steps of development, or two sides if you will. I am more interested in the character of Michael, who started as a jerk/moron/spoiledbrat, and is slowly developing into this many layered character with a big heart, a dysfunctional upbringing, a growing sense of maturity at times, and a hint that he's actually pretty smart. Also, the character of Jan. I happen to think that Jan is the most interesting character on that show. Why? Because she's meant to be this very straight character...very serious, very cold, very proffesional. And then, very very very slowly, as one of the cast members mentioned on the season 2 dvd...Jan is cracking. We are getting to know Jan one tiny little crack at a time. It fascinates me. The same could be said about Phyllis, Angela, perhaps even Toby. I don't know, that's just what I like. That's the kind of thing I would like to discuss with others. Hopefully, someone will take me up on it!

Feb 5th 2007

Loaded Teapot, I started watching the show at the premiere of the pilot, lost interest right away, then picked it back up at the start of season 2 (then going and buying season 1 dvd to get caught up, of course).

Feb 5th 2007

And, don't worry, don't feel slimy about my name. :) I aspire to be a whore.....haha...just kidding.

Feb 5th 2007

Not to be judgemental, but not being into JAM actually makes you a bad person. Sorry.

OK, just kidding. Everyone takes something different from the show, so it's all good. I think the thread topics here are diverse enough, and the people here open enough, to allow for diverse discussions. I can imagine all the JAM discussion could be off-putting if it wasn't your thing, though. Personally, I'm more of a Pammer than a Jammer. Jim-shmim, I say.

Feb 5th 2007

I know...I'm a horrible, hateful person. lol, thanks for the laugh Brian.

Feb 5th 2007

The same could be said about Phyllis, Angela, perhaps even Toby. I don't know, that's just what I like. That's the kind of thing I would like to discuss with others. Hopefully, someone will take me up on it!

Threads exist here for every character, if you want to get some discussion going on others I'm sure you'll find some willing participants. I know I don't have anything better to do.

Feb 5th 2007

Jenna Loves Josh, Ya, I tried doing that...going into the discussion boards for the characters and what not. You know what happened? No one ever really responded to me all that much, or really had anything to say except "yes....I agree" or "Interesting point". Then, dead silence for the rest of the week, as my post would get buried in the slew of Jam threads and/or Jim and Pam threads seperate from eachother, or the speculation threads that are filled with Jam stuff, as well as the spoiler threads. Get my point?

I thought, If I really want people to discuss topics with, other than Jam, then I'm going to have to really get peoples attention and included the word Jam in my thread title. Hahaha....

Feb 5th 2007

whorish...(man does that feel weird to type)...I wonder about the title of your Discussion. I wonder if you're really sorry you're not into JAM.

I'm into JAM big time, but certainly don't expect you to be sorry that you aren't!

Feb 5th 2007

There's been an awful lot of discussion about JAM in this thread... :-)

Feb 5th 2007

lol Urkel...grue. (I LOVE your name, by the way). Good point...but I'm not sorry that I'm not into JAM. I just happen to adore this show, for many reasons. And....well, I guess what I'm saying is that if I watch a particular episode like Back from Vacation, which was a whole lotta Jachael, or if I want to discuss the friendship between Michael and Jim which surfaces every now and then, I don't want it to become a discussion of "Yeah, that was funny....and did you notice that when Michael looked to the right of his desk, Jim slightly craned his neck and it looked like he was winking at Pam....wow...what does that mean?" It just seems that no matter where you go, whatever thread you happen to be in, it all comes back to JAM.
Oh, and I say "I'm Sorry" in the thread title, because I'm used to posting on IMDB, where people are brutal and if you don't choose your words right they will literally crucify you for sharing your thoughts.

Feb 5th 2007

Hahaha Jinx...y'know, as I was just finishing typing my last post, I was thinking the same thing. See...ya try to avoid it....and it just KEEPS COMING BACK TO HAUNT ME! lol

Feb 5th 2007

Oh, and I say "I'm Sorry" in the thread title, because I'm used to posting on IMDB, where people are brutal and if you don't choose your words right they will literally crucify you for sharing your thoughts.

Then just stay here. We are very respectful of each other, although we tease each other sometimes.

Feb 5th 2007

Thanks toasteroven, I think I will :)

Feb 5th 2007

Yeah, IMDB tends to be akin to the site that Jay and Silent Bob are constantly railing against in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (great, great movie, btw). It depends on what board you're looking at (most of the boards I used to post on were just out of pop-culture appreciation, not whatever is hot or the latest show/movie/actor/actress/director/director of photography/stuntman/first gaffer, etc). I know I like to look at whatever they're discussing on the Unsolved Mysteries board, but I stopped posting on the Office board months ago.

And yes, there's a whole lot of Jamminess here, sometimes too much (like, when Jim and Pam are two states away from one another). But that's the blessing and curse of the show, a storyline that a lot of people can get into and get caught up in. It's a blessing in that when you feel like discussing it, you can do so for hours...and a curse when you'd rather talk about anything else, and all you can find is the JAM discussion.

Feb 5th 2007 edited

I have to agree with you to a certain extent, whorishgreen. I was honestly a lot more excited about JAM back before I got obsessive about the internet forums. It was just something I secretly looked forward to every week. But the constant discussion and analysis wears thin on me. I'll usually post in the episode thread once or twice right after the episode airs and mention what I found funny, but for the most part I stay away from the JAM debates. Lately it's really been wearing me thin, and that's not a dig on anyone here, really. It's me, not you, I promise! I just enjoy it much more when I don't over-analyze it.

Edited to add: I definitely agree with you that almost every blog/site/forum is getting JAM-centric. I even think the show is getting too JAM-centric. One of my guy friends who used to love the show said that he sort of stopped watching it because it was becoming a soap opera. It can be a little much sometimes. Also, I really don't like using the moniker JAM, but I'm lazy and it's faster to type.

Feb 5th 2007

I'm as big a JAM fan as you can get, but I do have one complaint. I disagree with all of the people that say that the show is done for once Jim and Pam get together. While I really enjoy watching the story unfold, and am rooting for the two to get together, I do not believe that the JAM storyline is what drives the show. Some of the shows best episodes have had little to no JAM development; why would this change once they become a couple?

Feb 5th 2007

OMG, I am so with you, whorish green! I love northern attack because the discussion here is so intelligent but I cannot STAND how every episode discussion becomes a play by play of every second of JAM screen time. For me, the humor of the show comes from the interaction of all these quirky characters, not just from Jim and Pam. And I've seen every episode and began watching at the height of JAM interaction, so no one can claim I'm too new to the show to "get it." I get it, I just don't care about it that much.

Feb 5th 2007

While I do care about JAM, and do my part in dissecting it and such, I do fear that at times it gets a bit too close to being a soap opera. Or just the writers dragging their feet, perhaps.

Feb 6th 2007 edited

I, for one, refuse point blank to call them "Jam" (totally unclear on why it's all caps for so many people, by the way), or any other couple by any cutesy portenteaux of their names. I type 85 words a minute. My life is not significantly shorter for typing "Jim/Pam" (4 extra characters, OMG, teh wasteful!).

Other than that, I think I might be considered moderate, at least as far as obsessive internet chat boards are concerned. I don't spend a lot of time in the thread devoted to Jim & Pam, and I do tend to skim the close-readings when I'm feeling a little overloaded. But I don't actively avoid it or anything. I have grown quite impatient with the relaitonship, mostly because it's started to feel phony to me. I totally agree that the show is not over -- or at least doesn't have to be -- once they get together. Greg Daniels appears to disagree with me, however.

Feb 6th 2007

JAM is exactly the kind of thing that would annoy me to no end with its cutesiness in any other instance, much like the soap operatic nature of the storyline would be like nails on a chalkboard to me on any other show. Doesn't bother here though.

Me loves me some boinkenberry JAM. (Yes, the caps make it even cooler :D)

Feb 6th 2007

I, for one, refuse point blank to call them "Jam" (totally unclear on why it's all caps for so many people, by the way), or any other couple by any cutesy portenteaux of their names.

I do it for the abbreviation intead of typing Jim and Pam so many times. When you put JAM in the sentence you are not only referring to Jim and Pam, but you are referring to them as a couple. I use the caps because it shows that I'm making a "cutesy portenteaux of their names," and not referring to something I spread on my toast in the morning.

Feb 6th 2007

This thread is the closest thing I've read to negativity on this whole board and I've gotta say, it makes me kinda sad. I'm glad that we can discuss a wide range of topics, and I respect that all Office fans are not unanimous in their agreements about all aspects of the show, but I thought JAMness was the core, the root, the base of our love. I understand that there is a lot to love about this show, though...

But how can you not love the JAM? How is it possible? I have nothing bad to say about anything JAM related. I even like the word JAM. And I capitalized it.

Feb 6th 2007

then please, join me in discussing ANYTHING else about the show except JAM.

Gosh, whorish, it just doesn't seem to be working does it?

Feb 6th 2007

Ha...no, its not working. Kind of a neat science experiment. Don't want to talk about JAM.....it happens anyway. Weird.

Feb 6th 2007

Okay, I'll start a discussion about something else: 1. In the upcoming episode "Cocktails", everyone keeps talking about what will happen when Jim meet's Karen's ex. No one really has discussed as of yet what will be the incident at the CFO's house that makes Jan and Michael end up "making it official" Does Michael do something stupid that draws attention to them? If so.....what do you think it is?

Feb 6th 2007

While I'm all for discussing something non-JAM, that is a little spoilery. Perhaps it should be moved to the spoiler thread?

Feb 6th 2007

Really? I mean, thats just from the episode synopsis thats up on pretty much any office site. I'm only giving away exactly what NBC is. But, well...if you want to move that, go on ahead.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 97
Top of PageBack to discussions