Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
This will totally change the way we workout: Health and Fitness
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 107
  12. >
1 to 30 of 3201
Feb 7th 2007 edited

Okay, maybe this is a little lame for a thread of its own, but we've often got into health and fitness discussions so I thought it would be useful. So suck it.

I'll start...

EXERCISE I think exercising is boring. That is to say, when the exercising itself is the only reason I'm moving. I like playing sports. Like Phyllis, I also played a little basketball in high school. And soccer. And growing up I used to play football in the streets with my brothers. I like playing sports because you are too distracted having fun to realize that you're exercising. Which is why despite owning a treadmill, I've never been able to consistently use it. I would just keep watching the clock and asking myself, "Can I get off this thing now?" (TWSS)

But now I've used the treadmill for 6 days in row! The distraction I found that worked was reading our book club book, Atonement (which I find a very good read, so far). I can't really run and read at the same time, so I mostly turn up the incline and power walk. (I blame the book, but really I have no lung capacity for long distance running). I'm so into the book that time goes by very quickly and I forget that I'm working out.

FOOD As far as "dieting", I hate the word "diet" because it implies temporary change. If it's temporary, then you're just gonna put weight back on when you stop. BUT, I do like The South Beach diet. The principles just make sense and it's easy to follow- whole carbs, whole fruit, healthy fats (like in nuts and fish) and generally eating foods that keep you fuller longer.

SUGAR Although I instinctively believe that sugar substitutes are no good for you, I do use Splenda. It has really helped cut a lot of sugar out of my diet and I think it really does taste like sugar.

CEREAL My son used to be perfectly happy with plain Cheerios and bran flakes, but recently he went to his cousin's house and discovered Fruit Loops. He then saw them at the store and asked for them. I bought them because I was at Super Walmart and got an enormous bag for only a couple dollars. I regret doing this but he just finished the bag yesterday and now he's going back to plain Cheerios and bran flakes.

Sometimes it's a lot cheaper to buy unhealthy food. That sucks.

That is all.

Feb 7th 2007

Here's me in a nutshell:

• I don't exercise, per se, but since I am on my feet most of the day chasing small children (some of whom move very quickly), that's plenty of exercise.
  • I hate all diets, period, because, like Single Tear said, they imply a temporary fix. Most people can probably eat almost anything they want, as long as they don't indulge in tubs of ice cream and such.
  • I don't avoid sugar, but I don't indulge in it, either. I was very lucky that I was born with an almost non-existent sweet tooth, so it's not a problem.
  • We don't even own a salt shaker; this started because we always meant to buy one, but we never did, and we don't miss it at all.
  • I don't keep all "bad" food away from my kids; that being said, they eat whatever we fix, both for snacks and meals. Sure, they'd love to have candy and similar things all day long, but I'm in charge and I do the food shopping. And I'm still bigger than they are, so I win. They don't miss what they don't have. Plus, if I can make simple apple juice appear to be some sort of exotic delicacy, then it's a win-win, since I always have a handy bribe there (my gramma used to do this with cantaloupe. I was almost an adult before I realized that cantaloupe was not a rare, expensive fruit, because my gramma always made it out to be such a treat. There are certainly advantages to growing up without a lot of money, and this is one of them, since I now love fruits and vegetables).
  • I have recently discovered that my son seems to have a sensitivity to food dyes. I used to think this was a big crock, but I've been looking into it more and kind of seeing how he reacts to things, and there's no denying that he's in a better mood when he doesn't have certain things (red #5, lots of sugar, etc.) than when he does.
Feb 7th 2007

I'm probably carrying about ten pounds too much, but when you're 6-6, that gets spread out all along your frame. I USED to be a pretty good athlete but since my daughter was born two years ago, all sports have stopped. Someday I'll have time again.

As for diet, I try and incorporate some of the "super foods" into my diet, like broccoli, nuts, berries, etc. I have lots of wild raspberries growing on my property, and picked so many last summer and froze them, so I'm having raspberries on my oatmeal every morning of the year, which would cost quite a lot if I had to buy them. Also, since I have the room, I'm planting lots of fruit trees and berry bushes so hopefully my whole family will eat healthy (and cheaply).

Feb 7th 2007

Berries - especially blueberries and raspberries - might be one of the best foods, period, for both kids and adults. They're full of antioxidants, they're no- or low-fat, they taste great, even without sugar (kids might even think they're candy, with the right guidance ;-)), they're portable...they're great raw, and there are so many ways to cook with them. They are ridiculously expensive, especially at certain times of the year, so it is a great idea to plant them. I might look into that.

Feb 7th 2007

When we moved into this house a few years ago, we planted raspberry, blueberry, strawberry and blackberry plants. They're awesome in the summer. But we eat them as we pick them and never have any left to freeze, so we go berry picking at local orchards and freezes bags of them that way. But they go fast too. They never last all winter. My favorite thing to do with fresh blueberries is make whole wheat blueberry pancakes. They're awesome and they freeze perfectly. And my son will eat them with very little syrup.

I also try not to make any food "bad". We just have healthy, good for you, "grow" foods and taste good foods. If my son eats enough grow food, then he's allowed to have a taste good food. I've recently been on a campaign for him to eat more vegetables and I actually got him to eat 3 green beans the other day to get one small piece of chocolate. It was worth it. Next time, though, he'll have to eat 5 green beans.

But we do have dessert sometimes together without any attached bribing. Like LT said, you can eat pretty much anything in moderation.

I also make sure I don't tell my son that I'm exercising to lose weight. I tell him it's to become stronger and healthier. He understands that better anyway.

Feb 7th 2007

Growing up we had a raspberry garden. I remember my mom picked a huge bowl one day to make a pie, and I came home from school and ate them all in front of the TV. What a little s**t. I live in a condo. If I planted berry bushes, it would be a race between the deer and the condo board to rip them down. I love some fruits and vegetables - berries, bananas, kiwi, avocado, peppers, cucumbers, brussels sprouts and all dark leafy lettuce/spinach variations. I used to like broccoli, but I got sick of it. Peas just suck. So do lima beans. I once failed to keep green beans down so they're out, though I like raw string beans.

Given a choice, I'd rather have a yodel, ufortunately.

I don't believe in diets, but I did lose 55 pounds between 2004 and 2006 by dieting. I roughly followed the Weight watchers plan without joining. There's a lot to be said for a diet, if you can stick with it and, most important, you follow it with real changes in lifestyle. I love my treadmill. I was running 3 miles every other day and walking my dog 1-3 miles every day. But a baby and a brutal winter have kept me and the dog from getting any exercise at all. None. Plus, I'm eating really badly, overeating and making really bad choices. So far, i haven't gained any weight back, but I think your body becomes resilient to temporary setbacks. So now my goal is to get back on track and at least maintain my weight until the weather turns warmer and I'm getting more consistent sleep.

Single Tear, great topic. Try watching TV on the treadmill. I watched the entire UK Office and season 1 of Arrested Development on the treadmill, as well as LolliLove and the S2 DVDs. It's been mind-expanding.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

The way my kids began eating vegetables was, by far, the smartest thing I've done as a parent, and, of course, the thing that was the most accidental. My son was just very fidgety and active in his high chair, and the easiest thing to do was open a can of veggies, quickly heat them up, and put them on his tray as we fixed the rest of the meal so he could eat those and keep himself busy. It was just sheer necessity, because I couldn't keep him busy long enough for me to make anything else to eat. And now they both just eat them, no battles and no questions. We always serve them before the rest of the meal. It's like a toddler appetizer :-). It always cracks me up when someone on a parenting board will write, "But my kids won't eat veggies, even though they're always on their plates." Why not just serve them first, before there's anything else on the plate, instead of coming up with a bunch of ridiculous dog-and-pony tricks so they'll eat them? If they're hungry, they'll eat them! And if they fill up on the vegetables (which they won't, anyway), all the better. I do think modeling good eating habits is important, too. My husband has not been a great eater in the past (although he's much better now), and when my son was an infant, I told him that he could not make faces when I served veggies. Not even peas. And he hasn't, not even once. I think that makes a big difference.

ST - I think the green beans = chocolate thing is absolutely the way to go, and especially increasing the number of beans every time. Before you know it, he'll just eat them. You might even be able to stop the chocolate thing if you want to :-). But I'm with you - if we want dessert, we eat it (but it's also a huge motivator to get a cranky 4-year-old to finish his dinner, too ;-)).

EDIT: As I was writing this, my husband called to tell me that Dr. Phil has a 150 lb. 4-year-old on his show today.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

I made a resolution to do the treadmill everyday when the new year started. Jan 1st I was rearing to go and I got my Ipod and worked out for about an hour. Feb. 1st I worked out again. My resolution should have been once a month instead of once a day. I'm like Single Tear. I keep watching the time and the distance so I can get off of it. I'm so proud of myself when I work out though.

You're probably not interested in my tips, since I'm not doing well with it myself but I've found that the Ipod does help because I stay on longer then I would otherwise. I keep saying, "after the next song, after the next song." If you put good music on it helps because I'm enjoying it. I also put my treadmill right under the ceiling fan. That helps too.

Food? I eat pretty healthy except for my addiction to Coke Classic. It's the real thing.
I never weigh myself, and I don't really care about eating. Instead of it giving me energy, it just makes me tired. I usually don't eat until I get hungry which is at least 2:30pm. If I eat any earlier, I'll just get tired.
It seems whenever I'm around my extended family, all they ever talk about is food. This is so good, or that's so good. Right after one meal is done, they want to talk about what they will have for the next meal. The other thing about other people's eating habits is that they like to linger around after a meal and talk and sip on coffee, especially at restaurants. With me, after I've eaten, I can't stand to sit around the food. I just want to get out of there. I also see that most people I'm around eat so frequently. They say you're supposed to eat 6 small meals a day, but I can't remember to eat that often.

Feb 7th 2007

It seems whenever I'm around my extended family, all they ever talk about is food. This is so good, or that's so good. Right after one meal is done, they want to talk about what they will have for the next meal.

My in-laws do this, too. Drives me nuts. Then again, it drives them nuts that I don't eat breakfast, either, or that I'll have leftover Chinese food for breakfast. My father-in-law will hover over me, baffled expression on his face, as he keeps asking me, "Are you sure you don't want me to at least heat that up for you?"

Feb 7th 2007

"Are you sure you don't want me to at least heat that up for you?"

Wait...you don't heat it up? I'm all about the leftover Chinese, but ewww...

Feb 7th 2007 edited

It just depends on the day. Sometimes no, and it tastes just fine. It all depends on how much coffee I have, anyway. He doesn't care if it's hot or cold. He's just grossed out by the fact that I'm eating Chinese food for breakfast. I think if I let him whisk it away to warm it up, I'd never see it again because he'd pitch it in the garbage. The "let me warm it up for you" thing is just a sham to get the food away from me so he can toss it. "Wouldn't you rather have a pancake, anyway? Here, let me load that up with sugary syrup for you. And I'll get you a side of bacon, too. Now that's real breakfast food."

Feb 7th 2007

The 17 acres I live on used to be a fruit orchard 100 years ago, and there are some old apple, pear trees, and cherry trees on the property (still bearing), plus lots of wild blackberries and black raspberries (there is a difference) that obviously came from the original orchard stock. There were some red raspberries in a weedy patch and I pulled them all out and planted them in rows. The horse stables across the street give me all the free horse manure I want, and let me tell you, the berries just exploded once I fertilized them with it. I've also planted blueberries, strawberries, peach trees, plum trees, paw paw, and some nut trees.

My father-in-law, (who always has an opinion on how you should do things), approved of my orchard but told me I should move the wild-growing berries into my orchard so I could prune them and fertilize them and weed them. I said why should I do that? I get all the berries I can handle right now for free without doing ANYTHING.

I was picking berries every day last summer and froze enough that they're going to last all winter. They should run out in July, just when the new ones will be ripe.

Feb 7th 2007

Mmm...syrup. That reminds me, I want to try tapping our maple trees sometime and make maple syrup. We have the taps and everything (left from the previous owners). Sometimes a branch will break in the winter, and the sap drips down and freezes into a maple icicle...yum!

Feb 7th 2007

Brian- we used to have our treadmill in front of the TV but with the addition of a bookcase, it got too crowded in our living room so it got moved to the dining room. I may just have to cram it back in there somehow... (TWSS?)

Before you know it, he'll just eat them. You might even be able to stop the chocolate thing if you want to :-).

LT - with the established veggies he likes- sweet potato fries (baked with olive oil), peas and corn- he does not automatically get a treat for eating those. He knows he only gets a special treat for just trying the veggies that he thinks he doesn't like. And yeah, as soon as he starts eating them regularly then I'll phase out the chocolate. I will never ask him to eat carrots again. I've tried several times, and he gagged and almost threw up each time. I'm allowing him to have dislikes. Brian thinks peas suck. My son thinks carrots suck. That's okay. As long as he has actually tried the food before he's determined that he doesn't like it.

Oh yeah, and I wanted to clarify that I don't give my son any artificial sweetener. He can cut down on sugar because I make him do it. But I need the substitute cuz' I'm weak.

I've found that the Ipod does help because I stay on longer then I would otherwise.

TO Music helps me get started, too. I usually try to run at first to get my heart rate up and putting on some upbeat music helps. But then I get bored with that too and that's when I switch to reading and power walking.

Food? I eat pretty healthy except for my addiction to Coke Classic. It's the real thing.

We all have our weaknesses. I used to like Coke too. (Coca Cola, that is!) But then I read something about having a soda a day adds, like, 15 pounds a year? Something depressing like that... so that's when I switched to diet. I know, still not good for you but I try not to drink it too often.

They say you're supposed to eat 6 small meals a day, but I can't remember to eat that often.

I had gestational diabetes with my first baby and I was put on a special diet that required 6 meals per day. I could only have so many carbs at one time so each meal was usually pretty small. After a few days of getting used to it, I loved it. You never feel very hungry therefore it's easier not to overeat. And when you're not that hungry it is much easier to make healthier choices. Having a mild case of GD actually turned out to be very good for me because I learned a lot about how certain foods affect your blood sugar and 3 years later I still try to follow the same rules. TRY being the key word. When there isn't a baby being directly affected by your food choices, it's a little less motivating.

I'd like to hear what kind of workout playlists y'all have. I'd share mine but it's dreadfully pathetic. Only about half dozen songs that may or may not include Kelly Clarkson and Justin Timberlake... I'd love some better ideas, although this may just be a personal preference sort of thing.

Wow, Jinx, that's an amazing piece of property you got there. The only thing I inherited on my property when we moved in was overgrown peppermint- everywhere.

Feb 7th 2007

I'm currently battling the inevitable college weight that everyone seems to put on. While some people just stop eating all together when they get stressed, I tend to eat more and it's come back to haunt me.

I would be okay with the shape I'm in except my last boyfriend had a tendency to imply (or is it infer?) that I should go to the gym more...and now my mom has jumped on the bandwagon by buying me a scale the last time I went home.

I'm trying not to get obsessed with eating right and exercising because I know I'll just drive myself crazy. But I am attempting to be proactive by watching a bit more what I eat and trying to make it out to the gym a few times a week.

Feb 7th 2007

Wow! How thoughtful of you mother :) That's almost as bad as my husband buying me a treadmill for my birthday! In his defense, I did tell him I wanted one, but still! I'm guessing you didn't mention to your mom that you wanted a scale?

Feb 7th 2007 edited

When Mrs FromtheFuture is around, I cook, and generally we eat fairly well -- we rarely have meat, and I try to keep us on a rotation that involves a lot of brown rice and fish (even though neither of us likes fish very much -- sigh), though sometimes I'm tired and it's just whatever I can find at the store that will take less than ten minutes while I watch Scrubs reruns or something. When we were so briefly apart, I ate like crap, which I think was partly because I was depressed and partly because she wasn't around to say, "Linus, you have no need for a burrito on a Wednesday evening." I keep the house in apples at all times and try very hard not to have anything that isn't fruit or vegetables upon which one could snack; this both prevents me from snacking, because honestly you can only eat so many apples in one day, and makes it so the snacking I do isn't so horrible. Coffee effs me up but I drink Diet Coke (or Coke Zero, as the case may be) at a furious rate. The danger is when Mrs FromtheFuture, who has the willpower of an Essene monk, brings home some kind of cheese. She has no problem eating these things in reasonable amounts; I, however, have no self-control and have declared that she must actually hide such things so that I don't just eat all of them over the course of a day without even noticing that I'm doing it.

I'm passionate about beer and managed to get fat in the three years immediately following college by drinking too much and exercizing not at all. Since getting married I've put a lot of effort into living better, and have shed about 35 pounds in the last year and a half largely by restricting my beer intake quite a bit and exercizing a whole lot -- in the summer, I ride my bike anywhere from 120 to 200 miles a week, which has the perhipheral advantages of making it almost impossible to smoke many cigarettes in any given day and giving me lisence to eat more than I otherwise would. In the winter, it's harder to exercize, but I do have an exercize bike that I go at an hour at a time. I'm also a big fan of walking, and have been known to spend an entire day running errands on foot, especially when procrastinating. My iPod and portable radio are my best friends in these jaunts, as on long bike rides when I take them by myself. As it is, I'm still a little overweight, and my Month of Cheeseburgers didn't help, but I'm built like the proverbial brick s**thouse, so I'm never going to be skinny. Ah, well.

Many moons ago I was kind of jockish and in shape. One of these days I'll be back there. I swear it.

Feb 7th 2007

The horse stables across the street give me all the free horse manure I want, and let me tell you, the berries just exploded once I fertilized them with it.

This sounds like something Dwight would say, perhaps in another context. How exactly is the horse poop applied?

I would be okay with the shape I'm in except my last boyfriend had a tendency to imply (or is it infer?) that I should go to the gym more

I can see why he's your last boyfriend.

Feb 7th 2007

It's rotted horse manure and it sounds much worse than it is. It is mostly ground up hay from the stalls, plus chunks of...ummm...stuff...that's solid and doesn't smell (if it's been aged properly). Seriously...you can pick up the dry chunks with your bare hands and not get grossed out. I still wear gloves though, and usually apply with a shovel.

I'm sorry for women that have to endure men making comments about their shape. I know some guys that do that to their wives and it sucks. However, my wife is overweight and I don't say a word to her, and it depresses her something fierce. I pay for gym memberships, diet clubs, all that stuff (her initiative, not mine), and she just gets more upset when they don't work. I tell her that's not important at all to me, and she says "yeah, but wouldn't it be nice for you if I were in shape?" I say "yeah, wouldn't it be nice if I was a millionaire? You want that, but I hope it's not high on your list of requirements for a husband." I try to be supportive, but I feel like telling her "either get in shape or get happy! I don't care which one!" It would be unfair to say that, so I just try to be supportive.

My last girlfriend had the kind of body my wife thinks she wants, and guess what...she was even MORE unhappy with her body! She cried once when she found out she gained two pounds...all the way up to 104. I don't know how to respond to that.

Feb 7th 2007

He can cut down on sugar because I make him do it. But I need the substitute cuz' I'm weak.

No, you're not. You're the mom. You're allowed :-).

My last girlfriend had the kind of body my wife thinks she wants, and guess what...she was even MORE unhappy with her body! She cried once when she found out she gained two pounds...all the way up to 104. I don't know how to respond to that.

My reaction would be slack-jawed confusion (and maybe a little annoyance). What did you say, by the way?

Feb 7th 2007

BTW - I looked up blueberry bushes today, and I am pysched. They grow best in dense clay or rocky soil, which is all we have here, anyway. And they need a lot of sun. We get plenty of that. AND my daughter loves Swiper, the fox from Dora, and he lives in a blueberry bush on blueberry hill, so she talks about him all the time. She said she's going to marry him. Win-win-win (not my daughter marrying an evil fox, but everything else, I mean). I lead a charmed life. Anyway, this is my new project. I can't wait for spring now.

Feb 7th 2007

Jinxwomen need more husbands like you. The thing is, even if you're okay with it, if she's not happy, then you're not happy. I totally understand. With 17 acres, I don't think I'd need a gym membership. I'm sure I would get a good workout right at home. I'd love to have preoperty like that.

DwightfromtheFuture I remember you talking about your bicycle riding and having a cell phone with you. I didn't know that you ride that much. How is it possible to be overweight with that kind of a regular workout? If that was me, I would get so discouraged that I'd quit. It's good that you're not me. Are you keeping focused on all of the health benefits you will have in the "future?"

All of this talk inspired me to get on the treadmill earlier. I said inspired, I didn't say it got me there. I got so far as putting my hair in a ponytail in preparation for the big workout that never happened.

Feb 7th 2007

My reaction would be slack-jawed confusion (and maybe a little annoyance). What did you say, by the way?

Maybe that's why she's my ex. If you act concerned, then you're telling her that those two pounds ARE important to you. If you act unconcerned, then you're not supportive or you don't understand.

I'll help you out with the blueberries. I had my first harvest last summer but I'm expecting a lot more this summer. They like acidic soil, but you can buy little pellets to put in your soil to acidify it. Pretty easy to do.

Feb 7th 2007

Anyway, this is my new project. I can't wait for spring now.

I grow all of my own herbs. It's so nice to have what I need right outside when I'm cooking. Buying fresh herbs adds so much to the cost of your meals and I usually can't use them up before they go bad, so growing my own has been the way to go. Some herbs die off in the winter so I try to remember to freeze them. The ones that die off, seem to last longer if I cut the flowers off while they're growing. I guess it fools them into thinking that their useful life is not over yet because they are not able to go to seed without the flower.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

I live in an associated neighborhood which essentially means you can't do anything let alone plant your own vegetation. We are fortunate that my parents have fruit trees and generous neighbors who raise chickens and rabbits. From the neighbors we get farm fresh eggs but pass on the rabbit. From my parents we get oranges, bananas, pineapple, coconut, starfruit, lichee, tomatoes, peppers, lime, herbs, and gandules ( a bean that we use in rice dishes). My daughter loves to pick starfruit from the tree. Plus, when you cut it it really is shaped like a star.
Oh, and rabbit poop is excellent fertilizer. I try not to think about it as we consume the fruit!

Feb 7th 2007

Makes you want to hum Circle of Life, no?

Feb 7th 2007 edited

I put on the inevitable weight over the first few years of college, but I've lost about 12 pounds in the last year, so I'm more or less back to my high school weight. Last March I joined an online food diary, which makes it really easy to keep track of my eating habits and exercise. I don't like the word diet either, because if you really want to lose weight or get in shape (i.e. be healthy) then you have to make significant changes to your lifestyle, which is hard to do. When I first started, I was shocked at how much I was eating, even though I thought I was eating healthy. My food diary thingy told me that if I ate like that every day, I'd gain 10 pounds over the next 3 months. I also like that it tells you if you're getting enough vitamins and minerals or too much saturated fat or enough fiber, etc.

My roommate and I cook almost every night, a lot of the time we make recipes out of Cooking Light, which I love. I'm trying really hard to eat more fruits and vegetables, but it's hard. I usually eat cereal for breakfast, which I tell myself is healthy, but right now I'm on a Froot Loops kick. Previously it was Cap'n Crunch. But they do add vitamins to it! Anyway, I have a gym membership, which I try to use as much as possible. It helps to watch tv, but I have to listen to music to get motivated. My iPod crapped out, and yesterday while I was at the gym, my ghetto cd walkman stopped working because the batteries are dead.

Single Tear, the last workout cd I burned had the following songs:
"Dont Turn Around" by Ace Of Base
"If I Can't Have You" by the Bee Gees
"Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie
"Independent Women pt. 1" by Destiny's Child
"One Night Only [Disco Version]" by Beyoncé
"Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac
"The Compromise" by The Format
"Feel Good Inc." by the Gorillaz
"All For You" by Janet Jackson
"I love Rock N Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
"What Goes Around/ Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake
"Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar
"The One I Love" by R.E.M.
"Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks
"Don't Do Me Like That" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston
"Night Fever" by the Bee Gees
"Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen
"California Dreamin'" by The Mamas and the Papas
"It's the End of the World As we Know it" by R.E.M.

Feb 7th 2007

TO101 -- Basically, the issue is that I was way overweight to begin with (not morbidly obese or anything, but up around 250); when I started on my cycling regimen (which wasn't nearly that intense to begin with), the weight pretty much started falling off. In the winter, I exercize much less, so my weight loss has been very slow -- essentially none since October. Next month it should start being warm enough to ride again, so hopefully the gains will resume apace. I was dropping 1-2 pounds a week for a while.

Feb 7th 2007

What makes working out so difficult for me is I have what doctor's call a "heart flutter." It means that every once in awhile, usually when I'm physically exerting myself, my heart speeds up very fast to an abnormal rate. It makes me dizzy and I usually see spots. I can't really run because of this so I'm starting off easy with the elliptical machines.

And I know I have some self control, but my college dining situation is buffet style, making it extremely easy to grab that cup of frozen yogurt or piece of chocolate cake.

Thanks for all of your supportive comments about my situation. You're correct Brian, that there is a reason he's my ex. And while I know my mom has good intentions with buying me the scale, it's kind of along the same line as her constantly saying "Oh, you're wearing your hair like that?"

CZJ, that's a great playlist, I'll definitely be putting some of those songs on my own.

Feb 7th 2007 edited

SiD, I'm in the same place right now, trying to stave off the college weight.

And I know I have some self control, but my college dining situation is buffet style, making it extremely easy to grab that cup of frozen yogurt or piece of chocolate cake.

Me too. While there's some good things about it--salad every meal, always something healthy available--the fact that all that food is sitting right there, invitingly, sometimes lead to unnecessary seconds. And when the ice cream is good, and the little voice inside goes "Mint chocolate chip!....howwabousommme mintchaclachip", it can be hard to resist...yes, I know what you mean. But I've been better about getting out to the rec center this semester.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 107
  12. >