Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Appletinis, Nog-A-Sakes, Scotch & Splenda: Cocktails
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 14
  12. >
1 to 30 of 405
Feb 24th 2007 edited

We know what Dunder-Mifflinites imbibe. For those of you of legal drinking age (or who can produce a laminated ID): What adult beverages do you drink?

To start things off: I love classic cocktails such as Sidecars and Negronis, as well as authentic Tiki Lounge drinks such as Mai Tais and Singapore Slings.

I'll try new stuff, too. Today I'm inspired to actually make a Nog-A-Saki. I'll report back on that one.

Feb 24th 2007

Margarita, on the rocks, extra salt. Hands-down winner. I've never had a mojito for some reason but I am looking forward to trying it.

Feb 24th 2007

Beer. And then beer. But sometimes, to mix it up, I have beer.

Feb 24th 2007 edited

I love hoppy beers such as pale ales year round; stout in the winter; pilsners in the summer (which is about 9 months long in Austin). I also like to make micheladas: Mexican beer with V-8, tabasco, lime juice on lots of ice with chili powder on the rim.

Mrs. Insect turned me on to Bud Light a few years ago by describing it as "beer-flavored seltzer" - I use it as a mixer.

Feb 24th 2007

Guinness is the only beer I'll ever need.

Feb 24th 2007 edited

Beer Beer Beer
Makes me want to cheer

Dark stuff, stouts, brown ales mainly. I'm on an IPA kick lately, though. I loves me a Sam Adams, too.

The only wine I'll drink is Shiraz. There's this Yellowtail brand that's popped up at every liquor store lately that's a good bargain and very tasty.

I also like liqueurs like Amaretto, Sambuca, Irish Creme, but not very often at all.

Hard liquor, to me, is like drinking gasoline, with the exception of a Gin & Tonic, which always makes summer time more summery.

Feb 24th 2007

I never really liked wine. As far as beer, I much prefer dark to pale (TWSS), and Harp's and Guinness to pretty much anything else. I never thought of using Bud Light as a mixer, but that's actually a pretty darn good idea.

Feb 24th 2007

Red wine and dark beer. Margaritas sound right up my alley, but mixing liquor in just the right way seems like an art to me, and I don't have the time or inclination to get all off the necessary gear together to do it in exactly the right way, so I don't do it at all.

I almost never drink white wine, but last summer I bought a couple bottles of Four Emus Sauvignon Blanc. It was cheap, and it was excellent. Plus, I could get damn-near drunk off of just one glass for some reason. Win-win-win. We just got back from the Total Wine store, and I think sometimes I could spend all day in there. I usually pick from the Staff Recommendations section, and I'm always left satisfied and smiling.

Feb 24th 2007

I love sweet whites, but not Chardonnay. And I cannot mix a margarita to save my life. Requires a happy hour, but then the chips are always better at the restaurant so it's win-win.

Feb 24th 2007

mixing liquor in just the right way seems like an art to me

It is definitely one of the lesser arts that I aspire to master. My goal is to be able to have a party and be able to make any classic or Tiki cocktail. And believe it or not, I drink because I like the taste!

Feb 24th 2007

I love margaritas, mojitos and tequila.

Something I recently had that I really liked was a Cactus Cooler: Red bull and orange juice with a shooter of vodka. Other times out I'll drink cran and vodka, jack and tonic, or maybe (on rare occasions) beer. I took a trip to Napa Valley last spring, so my friend and I went on a wine tasting spree. I liked all the wines we tried, and ended up buying a bottle of this Riesling that smelled like flowers.

Feb 24th 2007 edited

I love beer, and when it comes to beer, I'm a small-d democrat: all beers get their say. My preference is for barleywines in the winter and weisbeirs in the summer, but I'll drink Pabst Blue Ribbon seven days a week and twice on Sunday, I rather enjoy a variety of strong ales, not least IPAs (Terminal Gravity is a favorite, and the Dogfish Head), and I've been known to indulge in the odd 40 of malt liquor. I guess there's a certain class of beer -- led by Beast Ice & Meisterbrau -- that I won't drink.

I know zero about wine, so I tend to go with what I've heard of in Hemingway novels. This has resulted in my buying chianti for all occasions, and being banned from the wine aisle by my wife, who actually knows a thing or two about the stuff.

My real drink of choice, however, is bourbon: Knob Creek, rocks. Unlike beer, however, not all bourbons are created equal in my eyes, and I won't touch Jack Daniels or similar.

I've also been known to indulge in the occasional rum screwdriver (tastes like Orange Julius!) or shandy (lemonde mixed with crap beer; excellent for halftime of soccer matches).

Feb 24th 2007

Beer - give me a good old fashioned macro brew, preferably a Bud bottle. Didn't like Guinness at first, but I've acquired the taste over the years, although I prefer a Caffrey's or Boddington's.

Cocktails - Bourbon, whiskey, scotch, like it all. Vodka tonics are my cocktail of choice if it's going to be a long night. Don't like gin though. Hate martinis.

Love margaritas but not too crazy about tequila shots. Met some locals on a Mexico trip once who mix tequila and Fresca. I worked as bouncer on Friday nights for a couple years and got turned on to Tuaca and Grand Mariner. Favorite shot is Tuaca or Jager with a splash of Red Bull to cut back on the harshness. Only shot I absolutely can not handle is Rumplemintz.

Feb 24th 2007

I'm 14 years old so....yeah

Feb 25th 2007

I'm 14 years old so....yeah

Creed can probably get you a fake id.

Feb 25th 2007 edited

I've followed through with my promise in post #1 to make a Nog-a-Saki.

First of all, egg nog is thought of as being "seasonal" because only in November and December do you see that stuff labelled "egg nog" in the grocery stores. Egg nogs are actually classic cocktails that you can make from scratch with little difficulty. If you can get around the thought of eating raw eggs, you might like 'em.

OK, so sake is not a natural mixer. That's half of why Andy's Nog-A-Saki was funny in A Benihana Christmas - the thought of it is so absurd, so... wrong (as is egg nog in a carton).

I used a mid-range sake (Kurasawa): not the "good stuff" that one sips ice cold, and not the low-end sake that you must drink warm. Since sake is low proof, I first tried substituting it for cream sherry in a sherry eggnog. Result: not an improvement on the original. It won't kill you, but you'll get sick before you start to feel its effects.

Then I substituted sake for tawny port in a brandy eggnog. Not bad, if you're out of tawny port, but probably not what Andy had in mind:

• 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 oz sugar syrup (I used agave nectar)
  • 1 1/2 oz brandy (I used Fundador)
  • 1 oz sake
  • 4 oz half&half

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Grate whole nutmeg on top.

Feb 25th 2007

So Nicest Insect, what's the name of your bar? Because if you're not a tavern owner or something similar (like a hardcore wino), that's an amazing and impressive degree of random knowledge on the subject.

Feb 25th 2007

My all-time favorite: Midori Sour

Feb 25th 2007

I'll do shots of Baileys, but I sip them. And then there are the shots of Bailey's and Butterscotch Schnapps...

Feb 25th 2007

Favorites right now: Amaretto Sour, White Russian, White Wine and Margarita on the rocks with sugar on the rim. (I really like Longhorn Steakhouse's Desert Pear Margarita)

Yeah, I like sweet stuff. Oh and I really like a nice cold beer with wings or a burger.

Feb 25th 2007

in the voice of Homer Simpson: "Mmmmmm, burger."

I've plugged these guys before, but why not again?

Currently drinking: Saranac IPA

Feb 25th 2007

Has anyone used www.extratasty.com? It's a website where you enter what ingredients you have on hand and they give you recipes for drinks you can make with it. I am a terrible mixer so I never use it, but I like the theory behind it so I have it bookmarked.

Feb 25th 2007

We used to have a wav file of Homer saying, "Mmmmmmmmmm, gummi beer."

Feb 25th 2007

So Nicest Insect, what's the name of your bar?

Really, this is just a hobby! I've been collecting old bar guides and obscure liquors for about 10 years now. My goal is to be a good host and be able to serve any classic cocktail.

Currently drinking: Saranac IPA

I drink Saranac when I visit my family in upstate NY; we can't get it here in Texas.

Feb 25th 2007

I like beer. I like beer a lot, and the darker, the better. As for cocktails, my drink of choice is a whiskey sour. Favorite drink to have a round of with friends: Irish car bomb. Those things are good.

Feb 25th 2007 edited

I have just two words for you.

Vodka.Gimlet.

Make that four words.

Apple.Martini.

Feb 25th 2007

Favorite drink to have a round of with friends: Irish car bomb. Those things are good.

Mmm. I can't wait for St. Paddy's day.

Just a word to the wise. Never, under any circumstances, do shots of Kahlua. It may seem like a good idea, when you're on the beach in Mexico, and the nearest liquor store is closed, leaving you without alternatives or mixers. But don't do it.

Feb 25th 2007

Good advice, CZ-J. That's a headache and a barf-fest waiting to happen. Can you even get drunk on Kahlua?

Feb 25th 2007

That's a headache and a barf-fest waiting to happen. Can you even get drunk on Kahlua?

Turns out, no. Which is why your friends should have bought a bigger bottle of tequila earlier, or you wouldn't have run out and thought the Kahlua would do the trick.

Feb 26th 2007

Being @ a Big Ten School and in a fraternity, the only thing I am better at then drinking is sleeping, so this is a pretty solid thread for me. We typically go with the cheap stuff (Keystone Light), but in the summer when I have money is when I treat myself to the import. One of the best beers I have had in a while is Grolsch. For any Henieken lovers out there, definetly give Grolsch a try. A little bit crisper taste without the sometimes skunky-ness of the Henieken bottles. If I am on a dark kick, my go-to is Newcastle Brown Ale. Beautiful flavor, not too thick. Great winter beer. Sam Adams Black Lager is also a must try.

On the wine side, someone mentioned Yellow Tail, which does a good Shiraz for the money, but their Riesling is pretty crummy. If you're looking for a nice wine, red or white, from down under try Black Swan. Its just about as common as Yellow Tail, and their blending is a little better IMHO.

As for mixed drinks, I actually regularly drink something of my own invention (or at least I think its my invention). Over new years I started experimenting and came up with a little drink I drunkenly dubbed "Cotton Candy". Why I named it that, I still to this day can't remember, but the name stuck and its actually really simple to make.

2oz (Shot and a half) Jose Cuervo Espeical (or other decent tequila) 4oz (half can) Red Bull 5oz (rest of cup) Pulp Free Orange Juice

So far all of my buddies, both male and female alike, are pretty into the Cotton Candy thing, although with the Red Bull it can get a little pricey on the college budget.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 14
  12. >