Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 271
  5. 272
  6. 273
  7. 274
  8. 275
  9. 276
  10. 277
  11. 278
  12. ...
  13. 282
  14. >
8221 to 8250 of 8447
Jan 5th 2013

Is there a way to see when Google Street View pix were made? 'Cause I'm looking up the place I have to go to next Saturday night, and it's an "Artist Center." And the show is in a theater at the center.

And when I google the place, it has a Google Places page and a website and stuff. Their is a picture of the building with a huge white circle on the side, that says Arts District. And the front of it has the name of the theater.

But when I look it up on Street View, it's the same building with the same white circle. But the front is completely different, white siding and a painted door, not the fancy glass windows and doors, and a sign that says (Something Something) Pentecostal Church.

Surely the Street View is old, right? I'm not going to a folk-rock show at a church, right?

Jan 5th 2013

Dude. I just went back to the map and it's right there on the screen, at the bottom. "Image Date: May 2008." Sweet puppies. I'm glad it's not at a church.

I mean, I don't have anything against church in general, but you never know. Not all churches are the same...

Regardless, I'm glad it's an old picture.

Jan 13th 2013

I've got this distant cousin that I've never talked to in real life. It's not like he lives especially far away, and I've seen him at reunions and stuff. I just don't think I've ever spoken to him. He's maybe 4 or 5 years older than me, and my dad's cousin's kid. We're facebook friends and I friended him and his girlfriend last year sometime.

We wish each other happy birthday and that's about it.

So, a few weeks ago, before Christmas but after Thanksgiving, he broke up with his girlfriend, who isn't the same girl he had 2 kids with about 8 years ago. (My aunt thought it was the same girl, so I thought y'all might be confused, too.)

Anyway, he posted on facebook his reason (he caught her with her ex, who she had 2 kids with about 6 years ago. (That's why my aunt was mixed up. She thought there were just two kids, and didn't realize they each had 2 kids.) So he dumped her and posted about it on facebook.)

Now, suddenly, he's "in a relationship" with her again. How bad an idea is it for me to message him and just say, "WTF, man?"

Because seriously, WTF? This can't end well.

Even before this, she would post vague status updates complaining about him and his mother and stuff.

Jan 13th 2013

I hear banjo music....

Jan 13th 2013

Run away, Toosie run away.

This will not end well. What you say will not keep it from not ending well, and if you get into everyone will end up being mad at you for no good reason. You will never get the stink off.

Love, Voice of Experience

Jan 13th 2013

I hear banjo music....

All the way in Washington? That's a huge red flag.

Eh, I don't think anyone I know would care much. Like I said, I barely know the guy. His mother was nice the one time I talked to her on the phone. My aunt and them would probably just wonder why I even bothered with it.

I should just hide all of his updates, so I don't have to see his drama unfold.

On the other hand, I kind of want to see the drama unfold...

Jan 13th 2013

Read the updates, forget the message. Call Jerry Springer.

Jan 13th 2013

That'd be awesome. "My cousin's on the TV!"

Jan 13th 2013

DC is wise. Except for the Springer thing.

Feb 9th 2013

I am currently in the midst of filling out my application to Major University. It's the only school I'm applying to, the best one in the state, in my (and the majority's) opinion. It's also in town. I'm confident I'll get in, but this is still really nerve-wracking. I have to write my personal statement, in a thousand words. The essay I was going to pull from is 2000 words. I'm also behind on my homework in one of my classes.

I posted here because this is neither a pretzel nor a tirade and because although I'm not asking for any advice, I'm not not asking for it, either.

Feb 9th 2013

Your essay should center on why Led Zeppelin was a better band than the Beatles.

Feb 9th 2013

That is very helpful, despite its untruthfulness.

May 12th 2013 edited

Yesterday, I went to a tea party for mother's day, with my mom. I "won" the flowers from our table. I'm writing a thank you note to a lady who brought the flowers.

I also wrote some nice other things in. I've got a formatting question.

I ended it with "Thank you," on a line by itself.

Do I need to add "Sincerely, Toos" under that? Or should I add "yours" after "Sincerely"?

Or do I need it at all... should I just sign after "Thank you"?

If it matters, she's very much older than me and probably knows the right way it should be written. Not that she'd say anything, because she's always encouraging and positive...I just want it right.

May 12th 2013

Man, but I wish I knew, Toos. I could call my Nana, but then she'd be disappointed in me all day.

May 12th 2013

Just sign it. Executive decision!

May 12th 2013 edited

I believe the old time rules are that you say "sincerely". Here's one opinion. Personally, I think something along the lines of

"Awesome blooms, bitch!"
The Toos

would be a very modern and original response.

May 12th 2013

Sweet. I'll just sign it after the "Thank you."

"Awesome blooms, bitch!"
The Toos

She might love that, but it's too late now. It's handwritten and e'rthang.

May 12th 2013

Can I just say how thoughtful you are for even hand-writing a thank you note in the first place? Toosie, you really are an exception to those "damn kids these days!"

May 12th 2013

Toosie, you really are an exception to those "damn kids these days!"

Yes, I'm wonderful. :-)

No, this lady is seriously amazing. She's just absolutely nice to everyone. EVERYONE. And I've only heard her ask for anything for herself one time.

We were having a book event at our store one evening and she came and visited with everyone and stayed about the whole time. We had too much food, as you usually do at those kinds of things. We were encouraging people to take brownies and cake, not to be shy, blah blah blah.

She asked (ASKED!) if it'd be alright for her to take a plate home to her husband who's in poor health. I didn't know her husband was still alive - she's always at local events, helping anyone she can, and she's always walking around town and will say hello every time you see her, but I've never seen him, and I guess it's just because he isn't well.

I think she's in her late 80s, and she walks pretty much everywhere in town. I can't even believe it.

May 12th 2013

I didn't know her husband was still alive

Maybe he's not.

May 12th 2013

dun dun dun

Maybe not, now, but I'm pretty sure he was then. I googled her today, for her address, and saw they were in the paper last year sometime (after that event), for their 60th anniversary.

May 13th 2013

Speaking of old people, we were visiting my mother in law in her nursing home (yes, she is still hanging around, for those who haven't been here in a while!) and my daughter and I walked around and met people. We found a guy named Norman who had a bunch of medals on his wall, including a Purple Heart. We chatted with him a bit, and it turns out he was in Pearl Harbor the morning the Japs attacked (I'm going to use that word because it's appropriate here!) and he was manning one of those anti-aircraft guns and took out quite a few enemy planes. He was telling me about watching guys run to their stations on Pearl Harbor and a plane would appear out of nowhere and cut them up, and there were big clouds of smoke billowing out of all the buildings.

One of his grandkids had written up all the battles he was in and it was like reading a history of the Pacific war...Iwo Jima, Saipan, New Guinea, Guam, the liberation of the Philippines, the occupation of Tokyo. He was right there in the thick of everything. I told him that I loved watching those documentaries about World War 2 and now I can just talk to him. He laughed and said he watches those shows too. He was very lucid and still "with it" and it was a joy to talk to him. My daughter was having fun playing with his toys, and I kept making sure she knew who we were talking to.

At the end I just shook his hand and told him what an honor it was to meet him. I don't know how many of those guys are left.

May 13th 2013 edited

The guy from my town who was a prisoner of war for something like 3 years, and his family didn't know if he was alive during that time, I'm sure I've posted about him before... died earlier this year. He was also still pretty much "there" mentally, but his body finally just gave out.

(I'm going to use that word because it's appropriate here!)

I know what you mean! My dad did a tv interview with him and his daughter and he told them a few opinions that would have been acceptable in the '40s... and he said he learned the language when he was in the Philippines. Dad said he said some sentence and he asked him what it meant. He said, "Come here, Philippine lady!"

I'm glad that your girl is able to be around these older folks, too. Sounds like you had a nice visit.

May 13th 2013

At the end I just shook his hand and told him what an honor it was to meet him. I don't know how many of those guys are left.

They're going fast, I'm sure. My town just lost a Pearl Harbor survivor. He was always at the YMCA when I dropped my son off for daycare, drinking coffee with all the other old guys. My son would always go around their table and give them all five. He always wore a hat that said he was a Pearl Harbor survivor, but I never got a chance to talk to him.

May 13th 2013

I don't know how many of those guys are left.

Not many.

The hotel I worked at a couple of years ago was right across the street from the National Museum of the Pacific War. We've talked about this briefly before, but the reason the museum is in the middle of Texas is that Admiral Chester Nimitz is from my little town.

Anyway, lots of the veterans stayed at the hotel for special events, and I remember the staff talking about how there were fewer and fewer vets as the years went on...which of course makes sense, but it's still a little sad.

Fun fact: The museum has since expanded, but was once housed in Chester's daddy's old hotel on Main Street. (The old hotel is now the Nimitz Museum, and the expanded WWII museum is in back of the hotel.) Anyhoozy, back in the late 1800's a man was hanged ("hung" doesn't sound right) in a tree right in front of the hotel!

Every time I walk by that spot I get a little chill...

May 13th 2013

Very cool that you got to talk to that veteran, Jinx.

May 13th 2013

Hanged is the appropriate term, I think.

So. Cool. I'm glad there are people who are young who are with it enough to appreciate the older folks who are with it.

May 15th 2013

So, that lady I wrote to? She just came by and brought me a plant of the bleeding hearts. She said she was thrilled to get my note and wrote me a note back, which is in the bag and I haven't read yet. She said her mother had planted it from seed.

I think she's just inspirational.

May 16th 2013

That's great. See what being nice to old people can do?

Also, bleeding hearts are da bomb.

May 16th 2013

Also, bleeding hearts are da bomb.

I have a bleeding heart plant outside at home, but I'm not sure if it's still there. It usually comes back in the spring, but I haven't seen any sign of life in it. We're having such a late spring this year.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 271
  5. 272
  6. 273
  7. 274
  8. 275
  9. 276
  10. 277
  11. 278
  12. ...