Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 272
  5. 273
  6. 274
  7. 275
  8. 276
  9. 277
  10. 278
  11. 279
  12. ...
  13. 282
  14. >
8251 to 8280 of 8447
May 22nd 2013

So, I've been feeling dissatisfied with the title of my novel for more than a year now. It was called Normalcy, after a word taken from its epigram. But I've decided to change it to some version of the following:

Strange Information

or

The Strange Information

Which is better?

May 22nd 2013

The former.

May 22nd 2013

Agree. No "the".

May 22nd 2013

That's how I'm leaning, too.

May 22nd 2013

They both might serve a purpose. The Strange Information is cool. It sounds like you have a story to tell about The Strange Information. Strange Information sounds like a collection of short stories. Or a list of weird things.

May 22nd 2013

The "the" just seems limiting and a bit affected to me.

May 22nd 2013

Basically, my thinking is that if I call it The Strange Information, there would have to be a specific piece of "strange information" that moves the plot somehow. Which isn't what happens.

May 22nd 2013

Yeah, lose the the.

May 23rd 2013

How about "Strange Information The"?

May 23rd 2013

Seltsam Informationen

Because everything's more desperate and frightening in German.

May 23rd 2013

Yeah, lose the the.

It worked for Facebook. And would have worked for The Village People.

May 23rd 2013

I kinda like Normalcy. I know, that's probably not helpful.

May 24th 2013

I don't know if there's anybody here who's been to Peekskill, NY, but I'm trying to write a funeral scene that takes place there and I'm not getting a sense of the place from the internet. Any of the northeasterners here spent any time there?

May 24th 2013

I covered it for three years and grew up two towns over. It's a working class town with an arts scene and a restaurant scene. It's very best days are decades past, centuries if you want to quibble, and it's got a bit of crime and grime, but it's more on the up than not these days. George Pataki was mayor there before he became governor. Crayola was once the Perkskill Chemical Co. And locals will tell you L. Frank Baum was inspired by his miserable time at the Peekskill Military Academy (a former Jets training camp host) to write The Wizard of Oz. What else can I tell you?

May 24th 2013

You can tell me you haven't trademarked the term "Crime and Grime," so I can use it for my new series of supernatural detective novels about a crime-solving, garbage-dump living, magical were-raccoon.

May 24th 2013

gb, the werewolf part makes it somewhat unbelievable.

May 24th 2013

That's why I went with a were-raccoon instead. Were-raccoons are rampant in this region.

May 24th 2013

Thanks, Bri, that was the kind of thing I needed. Is the town dilapidated, or does "crime and grime" mean something else?

May 24th 2013

Dilapidated here, restored there, somewhat revitalized here and there. It's a mix, or as the pols would put it, a work in progress. The problem is its chief asset is the train line to the city and the world-class river views. It's original raison d'ĂȘtre, as a strategic and defensible trading post and later as a prime spot for massive iron works, aren't real useful today. Fun fact: the Peekskill Riots surrounding a late 40s Paul Robeson concert happened in the town next door.

May 24th 2013

It's original raison d'ĂȘtre, as a strategic and defensible trading post and later as a prime spot for massive iron works, aren't real useful today

I blame the Democrats.

May 24th 2013

Sure, they probably cut the budget for forts and cannons. Bastards.

May 24th 2013

Plus their restraints on the beaver trade.

May 28th 2013

So...does anyone here have any experience filing for 501c3 status with the IRS?

May 28th 2013

I tried to file two years ago for my group, The Radical Patriot Tea Party Republicans, but I haven't heard back from the IRS yet.

May 28th 2013

Funny, I filed yesterday for my group, Blow Up the NRA, and I've already got everything squared away. This helpful guy named Barry called me up and led me through it.

May 28th 2013

About every person in my community has, but no, I have not.

Oh, it's a lovely business climate in Appalachia.

May 28th 2013

Hmm...we are considering re-naming our group to "Save the Gay Whales by Limiting Harpoon Clips".

May 28th 2013 edited

How about The Normalcy of Strange Information?

May 28th 2013

:/ You guys. Come on! We've got some smart people here. Surely someone....nevermind. They're too smart to get roped into doing it in the first place. (sigh)

May 28th 2013

I've done tons of them, but not in over 20 years, so I think I'd be less than helpful. Sorry, Anque.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 272
  5. 273
  6. 274
  7. 275
  8. 276
  9. 277
  10. 278
  11. 279
  12. ...