Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 273
  5. 274
  6. 275
  7. 276
  8. 277
  9. 278
  10. 279
  11. 280
  12. ...
  13. 282
  14. >
8281 to 8310 of 8447
May 28th 2013

It's alright. I can read. I just watched a really peppy POWERPOINT presentation/training in the basics provided by the IRS. I need a drink.

May 28th 2013

I remember them being awful and taking forever. I worked for a corporate lawyer and we did them for clients. They would sometimes take 3 years to get approved. The IRS kept asking for more and more and more information until I thought I'd lose my mind. For some reason, though, I don't think it's as bad now. I work with charitable groups in my present job that have gotten them much quicker and with a lot less stress.

May 28th 2013

Yeah, I seriously know tons and tons of people who have done them. They cannot be especially difficult, because some of the people who are over these organizations...well, it might be intensive, but it can't be hard. (Unless they're all hiring folks like MISS to handle it. :-) )

Regardless, I'm sure you'll be able to get it straightened out, easily.

May 28th 2013 edited

So...does anyone here have any experience filing for 501c3 status with the IRS?

I feel like I should, since I've worked for a few small not-for-profit organizations in the past year...but I don't. Good luck!

May 28th 2013 edited

I've done tons of them, but not in over 20 years

I remember them being awful and taking forever.

Yeah, I seriously know tons and tons of people who have done them. They cannot be especially difficult?

well, it might be intensive, but it can't be hard.

Asians, amiright?

May 28th 2013

Nice. Well, I suppose I'll be able to report back on how they are nowadays since it looks like I'll be doing two of them.

May 31st 2013 edited

Here is some free advice.

Whenever you tell someone that you'll send them something in the mail, you should take the thing to the post office and pay for postage and let them put the amount and barcode on the thing you're mailing.

Don't just slap a buttload of stamps on it, especially when you don't know what it will cost, and hope that it arrives eventually.

This guy from the internet is sending me a thing in the mail that I'm looking forward to getting. He told me he sent it last Friday. I checked every day this week and asked my post man how long it might take to get something from Indiana.

Yesterday, Thursday, he said that it should have arrived already, but if he sent it the slow way, it might get here today, Friday, which would be a week.

Today, I told the guy it still wasn't here. He said he was pretty sure it'd get here tomorrow, because he re-sent it yesterday. The first time he sent it, he just put a lot of stamps on it. The second time, he actually went to the post office and sent it.

I do not understand people.

I told him that I had heard stories of people mailing fruit by just writing the address on a banana and sticking stamps on it, and it would eventually arrive. I reminded him, though, that you can't mail stuff in bananas.

So, to recap, if you don't know how much it will cost to mail something, take it to the post office and pay the amount they tell you.

Don't just stick a buttload of stamps on it and hope for the best.

Or, if you do it that way, don't tell the recipient that something's on the way, because a) it might take forever or b) it might get returned to you because of insufficient postage.

May 31st 2013

That's crazytown. I hope it wasn't important.

May 31st 2013

It's not really anything important, but I do want to get it.

May 31st 2013

Hubba Hubba.

May 31st 2013

My sister once sent me a letter in college by putting my address on the return address, and not putting a stamp on it.

Jun 1st 2013

This same guy said he used to do that, too. I told my mom that I always wondered if it would work, but she said she thought the recipient might have to pay. Did you have to pay or did it just show up without trouble?

Jun 1st 2013

It just showed up in my mail box.

Jun 1st 2013

Maybe I should try it...

Except I'm the type who'd get caught and sent to the pen. Over 45ยข. Or however much it costs.

Jun 1st 2013

Except I'm the type who'd get caught and sent to the pen

In a prison type situation, do you think you'd be the man or the woman? I lay awake at night and think about things like this.

Jun 1st 2013

Really? I mean, I've never really given that much thought.

I think about other things when I lay awake at night. Like if I'll ever gain new skills if I never practice them, like cooking or piano. Or how I expect to lose weight without actually exercising.

Wait. What secret crimes are sending you to prison in your nightmares, J?

Jun 1st 2013

I meant that I lay awake at night thinking about you working out with your bunkmate whether to be the man or the woman. It was meant to be funny, but now it's just creepy. Creepy old guy.

Jun 1st 2013

It's still funny. Creepy can be funny.

Jun 1st 2013

Creepy can be funny

Yeah, I'm certainly one of those things.

Jun 1st 2013

I think about other things when I lay awake at night. Like if I'll ever gain new skills if I never practice them, like cooking or piano. Or how I expect to lose weight without actually exercising.

This.

Jun 1st 2013

You know, I could just practice piano or exercise when I can't sleep. Kill two birds, etc.

Jun 1st 2013

Exactly. Like right now. Me = totally bored. It's not that I don't have things I could do. I just don't feel very interested in anything right now. Certainly not doing dishes. Pppppbbbttt.

Jun 1st 2013

I've got a project to work on, but I've got kind of a headache starting. And I don't want to do it. Mostly because I know I can't finish it today and I don't want to do half a project.

Jun 1st 2013

P.S. We should learn the guitar together. Maybe that would motivate us.

Jun 1st 2013

Nothing like stalling!

I've got an old guitar of my dad's. I took it in my room once and googled "learn to play guitar". It was incredibly overwhelming. I looked at the guitar, sighed, closed the tabs, and put that sucker back in the storage room.

I'll get it the next time we skype and you can watch me be confused. :-)

I just don't understand how it works, like at all. There are the strings, which all have different sounds. And then there are the ridge-y things, frets or something? And if you touch them in different places, they give different sounds. And then if you strum it in different places, there are different sounds. I don't see how you could ever learn a) which sounds are good or bad, b) if it's in tune, c) which string-holding combo is which note or whatever.

Music's something I don't get. It's just mysterious to me.

I did do a little piano...ten years ago. And that was fun and easy, and I think if I wanted to devote time to it, I could get good. My teacher told me I was good at it anyway, and whatever was hard for other kids to get used to was naturally easy for me. But I just haven't devoted any time to it. (I can still plink out Yankee Doodle.)

Piano didn't feel mysterious, though. It felt like math inside, but it sounded...I can only describe it as ribbony. I really liked it because I concentrated on the routine, almost, and it was bink-bink-bink-bink, 1-2-3-4. But the sound sort of filled the room and was flowing and moving. It felt really amazing, even though I was just playing the simplest songs imaginable.

Long story short, I don't think I could play guitar.

Jun 1st 2013

I think you could. We'll chat about it when we skype next. The tuning this is pretty awesome and easy once you know how the strings relate to one another. It's all good.

But you should definitely pick up piano again, especially if you enjoyed it and were good at what you tried so far. Piano is another thing I'd love to be able to play, but we don't actually have one so...

Jun 1st 2013

And we've got a huge piano sitting in our house and no one ever plays it. Paradox...

Jun 1st 2013

How many people here can play an instrument? I know LATP! can play a bunch, DftF plays guitar, Jinx plays the skin flute, and I play a little guitar. Who else?

We also have a piano in our house which only gets played when a visitor who knows how to play comes over. I always enjoy it when it gets played. But nobody in this house can play it.

Jun 1st 2013

Jinx plays the skin flute

The one-holed skin flute is not easy to play.

Jun 1st 2013

I played the guitar years ago. I had planned to dig it out anyway in the new house. I'm thinking even more about it because I think/hope it will help with my arthritis by keeping my hands limber. It's really a fun instrument. They say you can play or compose any piece of music on a guitar and that its very close to the piano. I don't know about that. I do know that it makes sense and that you can learn a few simple chords and blues scales and play along with 90 percent of the songs on any classic rock radio. I like to think I got pretty good between junior year of high school, when I picked it up, and when I graduated from college, which is when I last played and practiced regularly. After a while I was just doing the same things over and over and not getting any better. But I always missed it. One frustrating thing is that you really do lose the skills you develop over time. You also forget how to play songs you spent a long time learning.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 273
  5. 274
  6. 275
  7. 276
  8. 277
  9. 278
  10. 279
  11. 280
  12. ...