Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 274
  5. 275
  6. 276
  7. 277
  8. 278
  9. 279
  10. 280
  11. 281
  12. 282
  13. >
8401 to 8430 of 8447
Nov 26th 2013

I think it's weird that they called you Toos. Still, great job.

Nov 26th 2013

Well, it is my name.

Nov 27th 2013

See, Toos, not everybody hates you.

Nov 27th 2013

This place is older than Twitter and pre-dates Facebook opening to the general public. Still, the lack of a like button for remarks like the above, even at this late date, seems an oversight.

Nov 27th 2013

:-P

Dec 8th 2013

So, if you add a random stranger who adds you, does it do any real harm? Like, suppose you have a facebook account where you only post about community events and share your friends' posts, and seem very community-oriented. You don't post anything really personal, just almost-marketing types of things. And blatantly marketing types of things.

If someone has a (likely) fake account and they're just friending anybody, does it really matter if I, uh, you, friend them back? What's their goal, I guess?

Dec 9th 2013

Wait, what?

Dec 9th 2013

Furthermore, huh?

Dec 9th 2013

So you know how some people make fake facebook accounts? I guess my question is, what's the worst that could happen if you add some random, likely fake account, rather than just "ignoring" the request?

I have a separate (but real) facebook account that I use for work, and community projects. It's all public, because what I post there isn't secret or embarrassing in any way.

That account, being wide open, gets a few "fake" friend requests. I've added a few back, because it makes no difference to me. But is there a way that I could be making trouble for my local, townie "friends," by friending some stranger?

Dec 9th 2013

I'd stay away from fake accounts, both making them and connecting with them. Seems like nothing good could come from them.

Dec 9th 2013

Yeah, probably nothing good, but I just wonder how bad...

Dec 9th 2013

You could wind up owning the bulk of the deposed Nigerian king's bitcoin holdings.

Dec 9th 2013

Don't send any of them a selfie and you should be okay.

Dec 9th 2013

Anytime I get a friend request from someone I've never heard of and the profile pic is a close-up of big breasts, I deny the friend request. But only after staring at the profile pic for a little while.

Dec 9th 2013

I'm just going to keep trying until you agree to be my friend.

Dec 9th 2013

Anytime I get a friend request from someone I've never heard of and the profile pic is a close-up of big breasts, I deny the friend request. But only after staring at the profile pic for a little while.

That was totally me. Busted!

Dec 10th 2013

You could wind up owning the bulk of the deposed Nigerian king's bitcoin holdings.

Wouldn't that be good? Or are bitcoins bad?

Don't send any of them a selfie and you should be okay.

Yeah, I was never going to talk to them. But I already deleted the one or two there were.

I'm kind of sorry everybody's so smart about not messing around with strangers. I was hoping to hear a good story, at least. :-/

On the other hand, I'm really glad everybody's smart about messing around with strangers. :-)

Dec 10th 2013

On the other hand, I'm really glad everybody's smart about messing around with strangers.

Mostly from experience. Isn't that right, Anthony Wiener? ;-)

Jun 16th 2014

So, about a month ago, a sweet older lady gave me some cut flowers in a white glass vase. It was right after Mother's Day, so yeah, about a month.

She lives in town, and I left the flowers (and vase) at work, till the flowers wilted (I kept the seeds), in case I saw her soon.

I haven't seen her, but I know where she lives and I usually see her around town - she walks basically everywhere, and so do I.

But I haven't seen her in a month.

How long should I keep the vase in town/how long till I can just assume she wanted me to keep it? Can I just keep it?

Jun 16th 2014

I would walk it over to her house with a fresh set of flowers if you can swing it and drop it off.

Jun 17th 2014

Oh, that'd be cool! I think I can do that.

Jun 18th 2014

Put dog poop in the vase, set it front of her front door, light it on fire, ring bell, run.

You're welcome.

Mar 17th 2017

Well there isn't a thread for what I specifically want to ask, but this one is pretty appropriate.

I'm planning on taking a trip with my daughter to New York City this summer or fall. I've been doing lots of online research,, trying to learn about where to stay, (planning on staying in NJ and taking a train over) and what sites to see that are both interesting to a 13 yo girl and her dad, and that aren't too expensive. I'm looking for advice. How should I plan? Where should I stay? What should I avoid? Got any "can't miss" suggestions? We are planning to go for about 3-5 days. We are planning to drive down and back. We are excited about this, and really want to make the most of it, but don't want to break the bank either. Help me out, peeps.

I know I could have asked this on FB, and I still might, but I kind of don't want to announce it all over, you know?

Mar 17th 2017

I've got no idea. I've never been to New York. I'd say:

How should I plan?

I'd use Google. I'd also expect to spend more than I think I will. And then I'd be really tight with my money on the trip, and bring more home than I thought I would. That's how I do it.

Where should I stay?

In a hotel, right? But it might be fun to try one of those Air b&b's or whatever. I know people who have rented that way and enjoyed it. Might be more fun, with a kid. House-y, home-y environment, etc.

What should I avoid?

Crime areas. Smelly spots. Oh, and work zones. Seems like anytime I'm walking around a city, on a vacation, I always have to go past a construction area. I mean, that's great, progress and everything, but come on. Avoid them.

Dog poop. Or, if they have horse carriages (they have them in Raleigh & Savannah, and I'd think they have them in New York City - I remember Kramer drove on on Seinfeld) horse poop. Avoid that. See above, RE: smelly spots.

Got any "can't miss" suggestions?

I think the Statue of Liberty would be cool. I think Bri lives near-ish to NYC. Meet up with him.

We are planning to go for about 3-5 days.

Sounds great. I love long-weekend vacations.

We are planning to drive down and back.

Awesome. Roadtrips are the best.

We are excited about this, and really want to make the most of it, but don't want to break the bank either.

Yeah, don't break anything. Especially not a bank. You might go to jail.

Mar 17th 2017

There is a place called Serendipity in NYC that has amazing frozen hot chocolate. And other desserts. You don't want to miss that.

Also, take the Staten Island Ferry (for free), it goes right by the Statue of Liberty.

Just hanging out in Central Park, or walking down Times Square, is fun and free.

We went two years ago, and did those free things, plus saw a play, which was not so free. But a lot of fun.

We stayed at a hotel in Manhattan (in the flower district, can't remember the name), and that wasn't too expensive. It was nice to just be able to walk or subway wherever we wanted to go. All the areas we walked in Manhattan felt very safe.

Mar 17th 2017 edited

We went to NYC last summer!

planning on staying in NJ and taking a train over

Don't do that. You can find hotels near the actual subway (as opposed to the PATH in New Jersey) in an area of Queens called Long Island City. Some will have parking. Some you will have to pay a bit for, but not as much as you would in Manhattan.

Other advice: avoid Times Square (we didn't even go there). You could check it out, but it is not the be all, end all of New York.

We climbed the crown of the Statue of Liberty. It was just a few bucks more, but you have to book this EARLY! statuecruises.com is the official site. It was cool just to say we were up there. But, yes, the Staten Island Ferry would be free.

We visited Central Park on three different days, as it is so huge, and we saw different areas on each day.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History are pay what you wish. We paid less than the suggested price, but we weren't total cheapskates about it either.

I read threads in the NYC forum on Trip Advisor, and found great advice! Have fun!

Mar 17th 2017 edited

See, Toosie? That ^ is the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thanks, Jinx (edit- and Nerfy! Nice to 'see'you) . (It feels weird, typing these names again.)

Mar 17th 2017

Don't do that. You can find hotels near the actual subway (as opposed to the PATH in New Jersey) in an area of Queens called Long Island City. Some will have parking. Some you will have to pay a bit for, but not as much as you would in Manhattan.

I am a tad nervous about driving around there. I am looking for something pretty easy to get to. I assume you flew in, Nerfy?

Mar 17th 2017

I am a tad nervous about driving around there.

Yeah, we drive on the right side of the road here. Might take some getting used to.

Mar 17th 2017

We flew in to NYC, even though it is only a five hour drive. Then we just cabbed or ubered from the airport to the hotel, and we never needed a ride while in the city. But of course, we were in Manhattan. I would just bite the bullet and stay there.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 274
  5. 275
  6. 276
  7. 277
  8. 278
  9. 279
  10. 280
  11. 281
  12. 282