Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 274
  5. 275
  6. 276
  7. 277
  8. 278
  9. 279
  10. 280
  11. 281
  12. 282
  13. >
8431 to 8445 of 8445
Mar 17th 2017

I am a tad nervous about driving around there. I am looking for something pretty easy to get to. I assume you flew in, Nerfy?

I don't thinking driving around in Queens would be that different than suburban New Jersey. But, I am also a nervous city driver, so make of that what you will.

Yes, we flew in. We got 7 day unlimited subway passes. You can also get pay-per-ride passes and load $ on them. The break even point is 13 rides. For us, it was so nice to just hop on the subway whenever we wanted and not sweat it. There's lots of good information on subway riding on the NYC Trip Advisor Forum. It may seem intimidating at first, but very easy once you take a few rides.

Mar 17th 2017

My other reason for thinking about staying in NJ was cost. You must remember that I pay almost 2x as much as you guys, due to our low dollar.

Mar 18th 2017

I would shop around. I bet you will find hotel rates aren't so much better in NJ to make it worth the hassle. Besides, who goes to Jersey on purpose?

I like Times Square, but it's definitely not the be-all, end-all. Take her to a Broadway show. What an amazing father-daughter experience. And the Freedom Tower and 9/11 Museum. And the USS Intrepid. And Sbarro's Pizza!

Mar 18th 2017

Hey Bri (look at me- remembering markdown) I was hoping to hear from you. I have been shopping around as much as possible. Like every NYC tourist, I'm looking for a place to stay that's cheap, but conveniently close to the action. One problem I've encountered is that there is too much information. I just want I visit one site that says "stay here, (a place with lots of parking) and go to these places,and choose this metro option, and here's a bunch of discounts" but wouldn't ya know it, that site doesn't exist, although tripadvisor is the next best thing.

I want to do all the things you mentioned except the USS Intrepid. I want to go to the park, and Rockefeller Center and a bunch of other places. I'm thinking it's gonna be three days in the city.

Mar 19th 2017

We are going to Toronto in a couple of weeks. It's like you and I are exchange students!

Mar 27th 2017

D! Will you be driving through Upstate NY then? (Read: by Jinx's house and then by the Anque house?) The Finger Lakes are beautiful during the summer!

I'mjustsayin'.

Mar 27th 2017

From PEI, I'm guessing he will miss us.

So he misses us...interesting...sometimes Canadians say more in their pauses than in their words...

Mar 27th 2017

Yeah, I figured. I was just trying to 'open up' the possibilities. It would add a lot of time to their trip though.

I don't have much to offer in the way of NYC advice. I've only been there a few times to attend the Maker Faire and each time we didn't do any of the cool NYC-type stuff. We always stayed at a hotel within walking distance to the fair. They seemed to have reasonable rates. That was in Flushing though.

Jun 16th 2017 edited

Sorry I missed this. If someone checks this again soon, here's some advice:

1. If you stay in Jersey, there's absolutely no reason to drive in the City. Take the train from Newark to Penn Station, and you can get within walking distance of all parts of Manhattan and most parts of Brooklyn via the subway. The subway seems intimidating at first, but it's actually a great tool for getting around the most populous parts of the city.

2. Airbnb in Brooklyn is actually not that expensive, or it wasn't the last time I was there. It can be a little hit-or-miss, though, if you don't know the neighborhoods. I would stay in Cobble Hill, Park Slope (especially North Park Slope), Fort Greene, or Clinton Hill. Those are all beautiful, residential neighborhoods in west Brooklyn that provide easy access to trains and sights.

3. Ride the Staten Island Ferry back and forth from Battery Park. Go to a Staten Island Yankees (low minors) game in between. It's a lovely time, and not too expensive.

4. If you're crazy about baseball, take in a Brooklyn Cyclones game, and then stroll around Coney Island / Brighton Beach / Little Odessa, which isn't that popular of a vacation spot anymore but is still something to see. Have a Nathan's Famous Hotdog.

5. Best views of the Manhattan skyline: Brooklyn Bridge and Fort Greene Park. I used to live a block from Fort Greene Park. Chief advantage: they cost nothing! Walking from Brooklyn to Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge is a lovely experience.

6. GO TO THE CLOISTERS. It's a former convent way up on the upper west side, and it's a lovely museum of medieval art -- but mostly it's just a beautiful place in a beautiful neighborhood.

7. Go to the Housing Works Bookstore in SoHo! I worked there for two years, and the books are cheap.

I could go on.

Jun 17th 2017

Please do! I love hearing the insider scoop. I have changed plans on what we're going to do a couple of times since I last wrote. Still planning on going, not sure when or what we'll do. But I'm always glad to get recommendations. Thanks DftF!

Jun 21st 2017 edited

I came here over the weekend and typed out a really long, perhaps hilarious post about 2 things which had me fuming, and at the end, when I clicked "add your comments," it disappeared into the ether and I just sunk into a funk, totally depleted. It was about Bubble Boy's Drunk Relative and how mad I was at finding out that throughout his life, when he went to visit her, she would be drunk and once she even fell down and hit her head and he had to call 911 and go to the hospital with her. She said inappropriate things and did inappropriate things and Bubble Boy had not told me any of it due to the Adolescent Prohibition on Communication with Parents, which is now thankfully expired. I wanted to go to a Certain City and punch her like I threatened to do that one time in Vegas. As a bit of background and as a long aside, I included the bonus Tale of Las Vegas, which is really actually a funny story, if you like stories about babysitting drunk people and vacations and threatening to punch people at the airport if they don't shut up about bombs and terrorists. Bubble Boy was supposed to go to her City this weekend, but her awfulness began before the trip did, so he canceled it, and came here instead, so I didn't need any advice after all (which was only, should I punch her or not?), so nvm about that one.

The other thing I was mad about was my late paycheck and unapologetic boss, and how I had to go back there hours later to get my check and how that threw off my whole weekend because I had to wait until the next day to run errands that I needed to run, and how I was going to quit my job and I didn't really need advice but just a place to vent away from that Popular Place where everyone is who doesn't need to know all this because reasons. But as it turns out, they gave me a month's notice because they got Baby into preschool and won't need a nanny after July. Meantime I went to the doctor over nerve pain I'm having that's similar to pain I had before spinal surgery ten years ago. Turns out the two vertebrae above the surgery site have issues-- a bulging disc in one and a slipped disc in the other. So I'm taking cortisone pills this week (fun times, I tell you) and wearing a neck brace, which scared the hell out of the family so they decided to just pay me for the month as severance so I could rest. So I don't really need advice over that one except to say that I'm worried about trying to find/start a new nanny job-- or other job, really-- when I am potentially going to have surgery again. But I'm glad I don't have to work now. I can rest up this week and see how the pills work, and I have more time to look for a new job. I love the crap out of Baby-- like ridiculously so-- but he is 25 lbs at 9 months and strong and energetic, so I'm good with the situation as long as I get pictures, watch him on date nights, come to his graduation and wedding, etc. It's also nice that my severance check means the next two paychecks came early, so I'll never deal with them being late again like the last 2, never mind I still got them on the same day. So everything worked out, kinda.

Jun 21st 2017

I love you, bwc. Always have, always will. I wish I could read more posts like this.

So everything worked out, kinda.

I'm glad, kinda.

Jun 21st 2017

I love you too, Toosie! I always say I'll be here more, but then I don't. But I want to. I won't say I will be here more, but I will post more when I am here.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 274
  5. 275
  6. 276
  7. 277
  8. 278
  9. 279
  10. 280
  11. 281
  12. 282