Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 282
  12. >
61 to 90 of 8447
Apr 16th 2007

Just so you know, I have a half-wop baby too!

Apr 16th 2007

What's offensive about Mexicanity? CZ-J, you should ride into that program on a burro.

Apr 16th 2007

Or a bũrro, even...

Apr 16th 2007 edited

FWIW, Hispanic origin is considered Hispanic, whether or not you are also of partial non-Hispanic ancestry. At least that's how it's treated by the US government.

Good to know, thanks! I was wondering how long I would have to wait for someone to say this:

Is there another term we can call you besides "Mexican", something less offensive?

CZ-J, I agree that you should just email them back and ask if you feel unsure about it.

I did, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Besides, I'm sure CZJ is defined by more than her Mexicanity.
CZ-J, you should ride into that program on a burro.

Yes.

Apr 16th 2007

Is there another term we can call you besides "Mexican", something less offensive?

Am I the only one who typed it a couple times but kept deleting it?

Apr 16th 2007

Am I the only one who typed it a couple times but kept deleting it?

Or you could be like me, and have people think that Michael Scott quotes come from YOUR head!

Apr 16th 2007

I didn't get there in time to do that, Brian, but knowing that KarenM hasn't seen the episode makes me feel a little queasy about my "connotations" retort hanging out there...

Apr 16th 2007

Or you could be like me, someone who likes to think she knows the show and then blows it.

Apr 16th 2007

Or you could be like me, someone who likes to think she knows the show and then blows it.

That's what she--delete!

That's what she--delete!

That's what she--delete!

Apr 17th 2007

Nice restraint, Brian. That is really hard. You really think you can go all day long?

Apr 17th 2007

Brian, I've been going in and out of this thread all day, and I have to say your comments often cause me to think long and hard about the current topic. I'm glad to see you lay it all out. Don't pull out now!

Apr 17th 2007

Don't pull out now!

I think you broke my brain.

Apr 17th 2007

It was just a joke. Y'all aren't going to ride me all day about it, are you?

Apr 17th 2007

Naw, it was just a little thing between friends.

Apr 17th 2007

Sometimes things like that rub the wrong way, that's all.

Apr 17th 2007

That's what she...ah, I can't remember the line!

Apr 17th 2007

Update: I emailed the program director and told her my situation. She thanked me for my honesty and said that if I identify with being Chicana/Latina then they would love to have me. So I'm gonna do it.

Apr 17th 2007

Just bring in some Mexican lemonade every once in a while for everyone, maybe some Swanson's enchildas, and you should be fine.

Congratulations by the way.

Apr 17th 2007

Good advice, thanks. I'm still debating whether I should ride in on a burro or not.

Apr 17th 2007

If I identify with being Chicana/Latina then they would love to have me.

I thought you were Welsh? :) Seriously, that's such an awesome opportunity. I'm mucho jealous.

For the record, I did end up telling my friend. I've heard that she's mad at me because she would've gotten over him/was already over him, but it should be fine for two reasons. 1) It was bound to come up at some point and it was better to just get it over with. 2) If I hadn't said anything, she was bound to try something this last Sunday, as that was his last time there at church. So The Guy and I are casually e-mailing, which I figure is alright for the time being. Who knows, chances are I made it worse by doing so, but it's still better than actually talking.

Apr 17th 2007

I'm still debating whether I should ride in on a burro or not.

Absolutely you should.

Apr 17th 2007

She thanked me for my honesty and said that if I identify with being Chicana/Latina then they would love to have me.

I kind of figured that was probably their take on it because if there were rigid "ethnicity qualifications" you had to meet, the invite probably would not have come so casually. It sounds to me like they're impressed with you as a student foremost.

For your arrival, you should give these guys a call.

Apr 17th 2007

This has got to be my favorite line:

Not only can Rent-A-Donkey supply beasts of burden for major industry, salt mines, festive occasions and to alleviate the lonliness and depression associated with being a widow, bachelor or an outright loser, but they can do it at a price anyone can afford.

Apr 19th 2007 edited

Then there's this from the Burro News File: Donkey Becomes Witness in Dallas Dispute.

The first witness in a lawsuit Wednesday between two neighbors was a real ass. Buddy the donkey walked to the bench and stared at the jury, the picture of a gentle, well-mannered creature and not the loud, aggressive animal he had been accused of being.

Apr 19th 2007

That dinner I had with the girl a couple weeks ago went fairly well. I recently sent her a (Facebook) message asking if she wanted to eat again sometime (with me, that is) and she messaged back yeah, sometime. She has a busier schedule than I do, so I messaged back asking when a good time would be.

That was Sunday, and I still haven't gotten a response. If women say more in their pauses then they do in their words, this girl must have a lot to tell me, and I'm afraid it sounds like "I don't like you."

Facebook was changing their layout over the weekend, and the message inbox was on the fritz for a little bit, so the possibility exists that the message fell through a crack in the system or something.

I'm thinking about messaging her to ask what's up. I might tell her that if it's not something she wants to do, it's OK to tell me, no hard feelings. That way I'll know.

Or she could just be waiting for a good time to come up. But then, the fact that she didn't let me know what's going on also suggests she isn't giving this much thought.

Apr 19th 2007

I'd still wait a while (as in, maybe a few days. A full week is a good standard, in my mind). If she really is busy, then give it time. However, I like the fact that you're willing to just ask her if she's not interested. Also, as cool as Facebook is, sometimes girls like it if you ask them out in person. :)

Apr 19th 2007

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to waiting a couple more days before asking. The reason I was looking to move on this fairly quickly is that there is an event tomorrow night that she will and I might go to, and it'd be nice to know what the deal is going in.

Also, as cool as Facebook is, sometimes girls like it if you ask them out in person. :)

Yeah. Since dinner in this case is a casual, show-up-at-the-cafeteria-at-the-same-time sort of thing, and since I don't routinely see her, I was OK with using the medium, but that's not my preference.

Apr 19th 2007

Did you try poking her? (on Facebook, that is)

Apr 19th 2007

Doesn't a poke mean something else entirely? I'd be really freaked out if a guy I didn't like poked me on facebook, personally.

Apr 19th 2007

Really? I'd take it as slightly flirtatious but still a casual thing.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 282
  12. >