Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I confided in the world's worst confidant: Advice
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 282
  13. >
151 to 180 of 8447
Apr 23rd 2007

ooh-la-la...

Apr 24th 2007

ooh-la-la...

Wait, Nathan's French? I'm confused :-(

Apr 26th 2007

The last coffeehouse event of the year is tonight at 9. I'm skipping it.

Apr 26th 2007

Personally, I think that's a good call, Nathan. Besides, isn't there something you have to watch on tv tonight?

Apr 27th 2007

The last coffeehouse event of the year is tonight at 9. I'm skipping it.

But you were thinking of going, because why else would you bring it up except to reaffirm that you're not going? ;-)

It's a psychological trick, saying that you're not doing something because deep down you really want to so you need to talk yourself out of it.

My advice: don't just say "to hell with it" if you really care for her. But don't be "guy who needs a restraining order for at least 100 feet away", either. Let go of your doom-and-gloom and see what happens.

Let go of your anger, give in to the Dark Side...sorry, I couldn't resist ;-p

Apr 30th 2007

Subject came up with Rooms tonight. He counsels action. Suggests giving her a call and asking to meet with her. It'd seem to be a shame not to, but I'm not sure how to go about things given where we left off.

Rooms raises the point that she doesn't seem like the type to just ignore someone. I agree, but that seems to be just what she's been doing, and Rooms didn't have a satisfactory answer for that. 'Cause if she's not the type to do that, and she's doing it anyway, something must really be wrong. Or there's the scary chance that the message really didn't get through, that we've both been operating under a false assumption.

I was also able to gather that I blew it (or might have blown it) by not being more aggressive. I eased off when I shouldn't have, and now I might just be sunk.

We're into finals week now; I know she's got a lot of stuff going on. I have a lot of stuff to do too. I don't have high hopes, but I guess I better try something.

It feels like a season finale. I guess it kind of is.

Apr 30th 2007

Whoa! Hold everything, sports fans: I just had a cheeseburger for breakfast, and it was delicious.

Apr 30th 2007

I just had a cheeseburger for breakfast, and it was delicious.

Ok, Nathan, is cheeseburger a euphemism? Or did you have an epiphery while eating your breakfast? Or was it just a really good burger? Please illuminate.

Apr 30th 2007

Yeah, I look at cheeseburgers in a totally different way now...

Apr 30th 2007

Denny's, too.

Apr 30th 2007

Wasn't a "cheeseburger in Paradise", was it?

(Can't believe I just referenced a Jimmy Buffett song...Lord, beer me strength)

Apr 30th 2007

PV and the 3M Bandit are correct. (See fan video thread and this morning's JAM thread for explanation.) I was sitting in the cafeteria, just reading the paper and sipping coffee, when she comes in, walks right up to me and says hi, asks if she can sit with me.

I refilled my coffee.

So we just sat there and talked about stuff; finals week, summer plans, her injured foot, my shaggy hair. Nothing serious; no mention of the lost message or anything. But that crackling energy was there.

I don't know exactly what this means for next year (her semester ends Wednesday, and she's off to Chicago right after that, so that's probably the last I'll see of her for months), but I guess I'm back in the game.

Apr 30th 2007 edited

Yay! Maybe next semester will be "lunch," then! ;-)

Can you tell I've watched that fan vid way too much?

Apr 30th 2007

Just make sure you don't come back with a seriously hot girlfriend who clearly bores you.

Apr 30th 2007

Congrats, man! What did I tell ya?

Question: Will you be booking a flight to Chicago anytime this summer to see her? Because you should think about it (or offer to take her on a walking tour of Mordor) ;-p

Apr 30th 2007

Go Nathan! I think this just goes to prove that never listen to anything we tell you here, since we all assumed that she wasn't interested. Never, ever, ever give up.

Apr 30th 2007 edited

Air high five, Nathan! Whack her upside the head just once for us, ok? We don't take Nathananguish lightly around here.

Oh and get a haircut.

Apr 30th 2007

Hey, I was a nevereverevergiverupper all along. And I quote:

If your feelings about her haven't changed, then the only advice worth giving is Michael's: never ever ever give up.

I'm glad for you Nathan.

Apr 30th 2007

Thanks all. It was such a weird turnaround, just out of nowhere; only a few hours before, I had been all glum and angsty just thinking about it, then all of a sudden it's all sunshine and tulips and sparkles and chocolate chip cookies. And cheeseburgers. It threw Rooms off when I told him, too.

Now that this has sort of reached a high note, I'm anxious for fall. I mean, there's a strong impulse to temper my enthusiasm--it's only a meal, dude--but something about the way she made a beeline for my table, laughed at my jokes...I dunno.

Oh and get a haircut.

You don't have to tell me twice. It's been since January. I didn't get it cut at spring break, and I didn't make it home but once or twice outside of that, and now I'm drowning in it. Should've just got it cut up here, but at this point I guess I'll wait a couple days more.

Apr 30th 2007

I don't want to veer away from sunshine and sparkles, because I do love shiny objects but I wanted to get this out. I've been going to the same music camp for a week every summer for 5 years now, both as a camper and as a counselor. My last year as a camper I became friends with this really cool guy who played the cello and I thought pretty much nothing of it. Its only one week, not enough time to really get to know somebody.

Then the next year (this past summer) I was a counselor and he was still a camper, but it wasn't like we could just stop being friends. He brought a girlfriend along, and I realized I did actually have feelings for him because I was jealous of her. He ended up spending all of his free time with me at the counselor's table, while she ate and hung out with other campers. He and I had the best conversations about books and politics, and I had a wonderful time, but always in the back of my mind I had to tell myself I was two years older than him and he was taken.

Once the week was over I had a hard time trying to forget about him but I really succeeded until he friended me on facebook a week or two ago (if you look at my wall, he's the guy in the box- it was a political rally in DC). I realized I really missed him. And now he's single, but he lives in another state, and he's traveling over the summer and will miss the camp week this year (he says he wants to send me postcards).

He wants to be a counselor with me the next year, but I feel like knowing he's out there and single is ruining the way I look at other guys right now. I want some kind of closure, because last summer I couldn't say anything to him about how I felt. Another counselor assumed he was the one with the feelings for me. I really want to know what it would be like to be around him without worrying about another girl's feelings before I go through another year trying to get him out of my system. I was thinking about inviting a small group of our mutual camp friends to do a day trip to the amusement park I live near sometime this summer, and just get a feel for how things are between us now. Do you guys think that's a good idea, or am I just going to make it worse for myself if I see him again?

Apr 30th 2007

There's always a chance you could make it worse, but if there's still the slightest chance you could make it better, then go for it!

Ever wonder what these people would really think of us if they knew we spilled entire life and love stories on here?
Yeah, I don't tell anyone either.

Apr 30th 2007

Its like therapy we don't have to pay for or admit to going to...

Apr 30th 2007

I agree that you should go for it. I think it would just eat away at you unless and until you saw him to figure out a bit better what was going on---that's how I would feel anyway.

Apr 30th 2007 edited

I don't think Mrs F would be very happy with the picture I've painted of her on here. She's really a very fun lady, not the tight-fisted disciplinarian who doesn't love The Office enough that she sometimes comes off as in my posts. She's just funniest when in disciplinarian or baffled-at-my-looniness mode.

Apr 30th 2007 edited

Its like therapy we don't have to pay for or admit to going to...

Dr. Perry highly recommends it for me.

Apr 30th 2007

Phyllis, I think you should hang out with this guy again to get a good reading on your feelings for him. If you feel something more than friendship, let him know. If he doesn't feel the same way, you still have a cool friend. I told a friend of mine not too long ago that I had a crush on him; he didn't feel the same way and we joke about it now. So...win-win-win. If you don't tell him, though, you'll just wonder what could have happened. And that's no fun.

Apr 30th 2007

Go Nathan! I think this just goes to prove that never listen to anything we tell you here, since we all assumed that she wasn't interested. Never, ever, ever give up.

Whodathunkit? Michael Scott knows more about affairs of the heart than 90 percent of the people here.

May 1st 2007

I'm actually bummed about the end of the semester, because it means I won't see a lot of my college friends around (chances are, I'm the only one taking any summer courses, and I'll be here working as well). One of the problems with living at home is, going home doesn't have that same ring of "thank God it's over" to it.

But I have Facebook, to annoy my school chums with ;-)

Also, in the wake of my experiences this weekend (the funeral for the kid I barely knew), one of his classmates apparently decided to call in a threat to their school, promising something on the scale of Virginia Tech or Columbine. Thankfully, that hasn't happened, but it reminds me of all the nuts running around who could concievably take out their anger like that.

May 1st 2007

My bad, I forgot that this is the advice thread, not the tirade one...:-(

May 2nd 2007 edited

Was at her Facebook profile (man, I hate bringing up that website again) earlier (just following a link from the news feed, I swear). A girl on the wall mentioned a ongoing bet, then followed up with something about having had a few admirers but rejecting them. This caused my e-ears to prick up, and I clicked wall-to-wall, and she said...well, gosh, I hate to quote this stuff, since I am confiding in the world's worst confidant: the Internet. You know what, whatever.

uh yeah we're both losing...lol. i had an admirer for a little while but i kind of rejected him so nothing happening there. i think this bet may need to extend to post graduate school.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 282