Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
3.21 Women's Appreciation
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. >
241 to 262 of 262
May 7th 2007

Favorite Michael line - "I don't even consider myself a part of society." Second favorite - "Any man who says he totally understands women is a fool, because they are un-understandable."

Going back a page or so... I especially liked this 2nd comment from Michael because at the start of the episode he says "I know the crap out of women." Yet again, Michael unwittingly contradicts himself. And calls himself a fool...

May 7th 2007

When Michael makes his wishes at the mall and relates them, I thought that he was actually demonstrating that he really did know all of those women. Then someone here said that he was just wishing for things like the characters in The Wizard of Oz wished for. I think it was a little of both.

May 7th 2007

I think it was a little of both.

Oh, yeah, for sure. They were all appropriate to their recipients, but the fact that he somehow wound up looking to the Wizard of Oz for inspiration was amusing.

May 8th 2007

somehow wound up looking to the Wizard of Oz for inspiration

Wouldn't it be great to get inside the lion's head to find out how it works? But we just don't have the technology.

May 8th 2007

But why'd he wish for Pam to have courage? I mean, she does, but he's Michael. How would he know? Seems like more than just one of his usual "accidental insights".

May 8th 2007

Even Oscar knows that Pam is a meek person, and he barely interacts with her.

Or maybe Michael just wanted Pam to have the guts to show off her boobs. You never know with Michael.

May 8th 2007

But Oscar's intelligent and socially adept, unlike Michael, who is...not. You might be on to something about boob courage, though.

May 8th 2007

For some reason I get this image of Michael trying to order boob courage off the Internet. (Sharper Image is sold out.) Then maybe slipping it into Pam's teapot.

May 8th 2007

Near the beginning of Gay Witch Hunt Jim had the talking head where he says "Why did I transfer? I think that's obvious. I got a promotion." I don't know that he technically got a promotion when he transferred back to Scranton, but Jan told him in Branch Closing "We will do whatever it takes to keep you", so if he's smart he negotiated at least some extra money out of them.

This is pretty much straightened out now, but I'd like to reiterate my point from earlier, that threse promotions were not Jim's real motivation. We all know the reason he transferred to Stamford was not the promotion, it was Pam. Sure, the promotion was nice, but I'm betting he would've gone for it even if it was a lateral move. And the second one just sort of happened to him. Even if it affected his decision, he wasn't actively seeking out a promotion. This all goes back to the comment that "corporate ladder" Jim isn't as likable, and my point is simply that good ol' Jim isn't all the way gone.

May 8th 2007

This all goes back to the comment that "corporate ladder" Jim isn't as likable, and my point is simply that good ol' Jim isn't all the way gone.

But Jim-in-charge doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a corporate shill. Remember the "we're supposed to be pusing card stock this week, so let's push card stock." cold open. Jim could do alright for himself and still be a likable character. Plus, his skills can't really transfer to a new business, so when Michael inevitably sells the building for magic beans Jim can start at the bottom again. Didn't anyone else feel sorry for Tim when he was still stuck there after turning down the promotion in the Xmas special in the UK version? Plus, he needs to make plenty of money to support Pam's art and all the babies they are going to have.

I'm saying a lot of things.

May 8th 2007 edited

Plus, his skills can't really transfer to a new business

Yes they can. His knowledge can't, but knowledge can be learned in a handbook or at a weekend training session in Dayton. Salesman and management skills transfer all the time. Jim won't be starting from the bottom as long as he stays in business to business sales.

May 10th 2007

I know that we had some discussion about the bathroom coffee table talk between Ryan and Jim. Did we ever come to a conclusion of what that was all about? Is there a double-meaning? What was all of the strange talk about office relationships? What was kevin snickering about? What's the dealio?

May 10th 2007

There's a good analysis on the TWSS podcasts. The guys there basically concluded that Ryan, like Pam and Karen, was projecting his own relationship issues on Jim. So Karen and Pam's conflicting advice for Michael really reflected their own experiences with Jim and Roy, respectively. Ryan, meanwhile, says he thought Jim and Karen were just a fling, because that's basically what he thinks he and Kelly are. I thought it was a pretty good take on that scene.

May 10th 2007

I like it. That's awesome. I thought that I had listened to all of the podcasts but I guess not. That sounds just right, sort of a parallel.

May 17th 2007

What are the odds that in a future episode, Meredith gets a flat tire, and when they grab the spare from the trunk, it's flat, too? That would be so Meredith.

Sep 6th 2007 edited

edit: dvd deleted scene spoiler

i'm kind of surprised there has been no discussion here of the new scenes in women's appreciation. i could have missed the discussion, i guess. did anyone see them? i didnt watch the rerun. one of the scenes is on youtube. i assume it is on the dvd as deleted scenes.

a creepy classic from michael

the others i have not seen.

Sep 6th 2007

oops. i originally posted two scenes above but one was a creed scene that apparently was a deleted scene from the job. i assume now it was off the dvd.

Sep 10th 2007

Okay you guys. What the heck happened with the rerun of Woman's Appreciation? The only new clip I noticed was Michael's talking head about tucking. In exchange they cut out the scene where Ryan talks to Jim in the women's restroom, the entire scene of the girls shopping at Victoria's secret, the flat tire, and anything else relating to those scenes. I fast forward past the commercials so I thought I might have skipped something, so I watched it again to make sure. Was the talking head with Michael the only new footage we got?

Sep 10th 2007

I noticed the same things you did TO. Planning on watching the commentary some time this week.

Sep 10th 2007

Ok, so I didn't just sleep through those scenes. I was so tired last Thursday that I actually nodded off (I know, it's unthinkable) and woke up at the end. WA is not one of my favorites, but I was still disappointed at missing those scenes . . . so, which one is on the DVD version? I haven't gotten that far yet.

BTW: I haven't been on here much this summer, but when I started reading the posts again, I remembered how many clever and insightful people are members!

Sep 10th 2007

The original Women's Appreciation was super-sized, 40 minutes, and the re-run was 30 minutes so that explains the missing scenes. There were three new scenes shown in the re-run - the very beginning, Michael is talking to Jan on the phone reading OK magazine and she asks if he's been reading the Wall Street Journal subscription she got for him; the Michael talking head about tucking; Michael in the van sees one of the Dwight as a pervert posters. These were all on the DVD as deleted scenes.

Sep 10th 2007

Thanks AMJ for the explanation. That explains why so much had to be cut out. I thought they were both 30 minutes and we just didn't get an even exchange. I like the original 40 minute version better. I don't think we got much to write home about in the new footage.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. >
241 to 262 of 262