Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
The Office - An Hour-Long, Baby!
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 74
Apr 30th 2007 edited

First read the article about how The Office could be extended to an hour.

Then sign the petition below:: Petition

Edited by moderator to make link clickable.

Apr 30th 2007

That's great, and I especially appreciate the ads for diarrhea information that pop up after you vote.

I expect a million votes by morning people! And a run on Imodium A-D.

Apr 30th 2007

I'm kind of nervous about expanding the show to an hour. It means the writers will have to come up with twice as much stuff, and I prefer quality over quantity. I would be okay with an entire season of supersized episodes though - the extra few minutes feels about right.

May 1st 2007

If they just put three shows in two hours like we've had a few times, I think everyone would be happy. NBC doesn't have to go looking for filler, and the writers of all three shows will be happy to have the extra time. With so much DVRing these days, remembering exactly what time to start recording isn't an issue anymore.

May 1st 2007

What's Second Base? wrote:

I'm kind of nervous about expanding the show to an hour. It means the writers will have to come up with twice as much stuff, and I prefer quality over quantity. I would be okay with an entire season of supersized episodes though - the extra few minutes feels about right.

TWDS... That's what Daoust said, last night on OT Chat, when I first heard about the petition.

May 1st 2007

TWDS... That's what Daoust said

Funny, I have a bracelet that has that engraved on it.

May 2nd 2007

If they make it an hour then they could have some of those long akward pauses that they seem to start making less of so that they have enough time to get everything in that they want.

Denise

May 2nd 2007

What if they were bold and made two shoes 1.5 hours, (or supersize each) or put three in two hours? That would break a trend in programming that has been going on forever, and would be likely to hold viewers for both shows, since switching networks would require going into the middle of the show.

May 2nd 2007

That would pose a problem for syndication and Nielsen Ratings, I think. But it would be dawesome.

May 2nd 2007 edited

Three shows in two hours leads to wonky start times like 8:40 and 9:20. Networks and advertisers will be hesitant to gamble on the hope that viewers will adapt to that. DVRs aren't everywhere yet, and the set-in-their-ways AARP demo has a lot to say about what goes on air (or there wouldn't be 17 variants of CSI and L&O).

and would be likely to hold viewers for both shows, since switching networks would require going into the middle of the show.

That is a selling point.

May 2nd 2007

set-in-their-ways AARP demo

Careful, careful, you don't know to whom you speak!

The demo for this show, and the thing that has held it together, is the much sought after 18-49, and subset 18-25, especially male, many with more money than responsibility.

May 2nd 2007

That wasn't a crack. As we age we become more set in our habits, i.e. television. I just meant that the 55+ has a large sway on scheduling, more because of its viewership numbers than its free-spending ways. I just don't see my dad either getting a DVR or remembering to tune in at 9:40. And his demo outnumbers mine.

May 2nd 2007

well, to start with, one begins receiving AARP stuff at 49.

and many of the AARP demo have other people in the household who do have DVR, etc

But you're right, we do settle in on viewing habits as we age - though you cannot convince me that ANYTHING compares to the vigilance of a pre-schooler who likes a TV show

which could also be OCD

May 2nd 2007

And a run on Imodium A-D

NPI

I don't think the writers would have any problem with an hour-long show. The 40-minute shows hang together pretty tightly at a nice pace. I think expanding to an hour would allow a less frenetic pace and better continuity for the main storyline and one or even two subplots to be fully developed. I think the extra time could make it a better show.

It's obvious to me that when episodes have fallen flat this season, it's been due to editing. They are probably already shooting enough for a well-edited, hour-long show.

May 2nd 2007 edited

It's obvious to me that when episodes have fallen flat this season, it's been due to editing. They are probably already shooting enough for a well-edited, hour-long show.

#1 example: Product Recall

May 2nd 2007

gotta watch that # sign, the volume knob on it is broke

May 2nd 2007

These go to eleven?

The Jim and Andy storyline was definitely a victim of chopping. I can only imagine how that could have been fully explored with more time - without taking anything away from what was going on at the office. Maybe even pull the warehouse guys in somehow.

May 2nd 2007 edited

1 test

2 test

3 test

4 test

5 test
6 test

eta: That was kind of cool.

The Jim and Andy storyline was definitely a victim of chopping.

How about the whole watermark controversy? What's the outcome of that? Maybe we'll see in the next few weeks. Or maybe that question will go the way of "Did Jan ever find out about the photo Michael forwarded?"

May 2nd 2007

yeah, thanks Brian

May 10th 2007

From OfficeTally (fear not, anti-spoilies):

E!’s Kristin Veitch reports that the possibility of The Office becoming a one-hour show this fall is stronger than ever:

I’ve just heard from multiple insiders that it’s looking very likely that NBC will double the amount of The Office we’ll get next season. I’m told it’s looking like each episode will expand to be an hourlong; however, if that plan falls through for some reason, I’m hearing that, at the very least, NBC wants to pick up something like 37 episodes of the show in its current half-hour format. All will be revealed during NBC’s presentation at the upfronts this coming Monday, May 14th …

37 episodes in a season if we don't get hour-long office? Thoughts?

May 10th 2007

If that is true, then I'm as happy as a little giiiiiiirl!

May 10th 2007

37 episodes in a season if we don't get hour-long office? Thoughts?

I'd say that's win-win-win, the third being that we as viewers have successfully negotiated a conflict.

May 10th 2007

No way!!! How awesome is that? What was that Berries said last week? Goo gibbly goo? Something like that. Whatever it was, ditto from me.

May 10th 2007

Tanster said it in the chat, and I've said it before. 37 half hour eps or 23 full hour eps will stretch the writing too thin. I think it will cause the quality of the eps to suffer. If this were the start of season 2 we were talking about, not the start of season 4, I'd be in favour of it 100%.

Look, I love the office more than life itself, but I just think that the Office should be a half hour show, with ocassional hour specials. I just dont' think the writers can keep the quality as high as it has been if all the eps are to be hour long.

Trust me, I would love, LOVE to be proven wrong.

May 10th 2007

RESHUN!!!

May 10th 2007 edited

37 half hour eps or 23 full hour eps will stretch the writing too thin.

I guess there is a chance that could happen, but I still think these writers are awesome and will make it work. Just think of all the great deleted scenes and imagine if those were added. Hopefully we'd get to see more from the secondary cast. I don't think they would add a lot more story lines, but rather further develop and add more depth to the story lines that air.

Also, if I could choose I'd rather see the 37 half hour episodes, the fewer weeks without a new show the better. Although that probably wouldn't mean 37 weeks with a new show, there would probably be several hour long shows that would count as two episodes.

May 10th 2007

Hopefully we'd get to see more from the secondary cast.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Not only would it be awesome, because we love all the characters, but it would be a good way to get 15 extra minutes of material into the show without stretching the "main" characters' storylines too far.

May 10th 2007 edited

From Kristin:

Ladies and gentletubers, there is a plan in place for The Office.
At least, that's what I'm now hearing from inside sources—that NBC reached an agreement late this afternoon with The Office for next season: 24 episodes, including 4 hour-long specials.

Oh yeah, I can live with this.

May 10th 2007

I can't. Stupid NBC. Stupid Kristin. Stupid no-hour-long Office. Stupid idiot dummies.

May 10th 2007

Well, that way we still get the whole hour long format occasionally, but they won't be worn thin. I'm sure they'll still be some supersized episodes as well. The season premiere, Christmas, the season finale, and probably something in February sweeps will all be the hour format, I'm guessing.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 74
Top of PageBack to discussions