Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Let's make appletinis and watch Sex and the City...summer TV plans
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 172
May 14th 2007

I've been fairly accused of being negative lately about stuff, so I'm taking a positive step and starting my first thread in 1,683 visits to the Watercooler.

I'm actually pretty anxious about this finale. And part of that is because whatever happens, good or bad, it'll all be over at 9 p.m. eastern time on Thursday. And then summer begins.

Now if last summer is any indication, this will continue to be a happening place all through the dog days. But I thought it would be worthwhile to start a discussion of how folks are going to make the most of the "time off", not only from The Office, but from regular season TV. I think KarenM said she planned to watch Heroes online, for example.

Last year I took in the British Office, rented Lollilove, got started on Arrested Development after hearing so much about it here and even got into the original Coupling. Here's my off-the-top-of-my-head list for this summer...

• rewatch Season 3, see what went right and wrong
  • rewatch Heroes, which I have been as passionate about as The Office, but without all the rewatching and online analysis
  • continue watching Entourage, which I just read starts up again in June, two weeks after the current season ends. Weird.
  • see all of Battlestar Galactica, because I'm a nerd at heart but I'm not even sure what channel the SciFi channel is on
  • Mets baseball, because Jose Reyes is the Dominican John Krasinski

Boy I'll be bummed if this thread gets killed for being repetitive or just really lame.

May 14th 2007

Good idea Brian!

I plan on seeing about watching Extras, because my Mom was telling me about some episode where Daniel Radcliffe was trying to seduce all these women...it sounded really funny.

I'm also going to try to watch Battlestar Galactica this summer cause I'm also a huge dork. I'll be at my parents place for most of June and July, so I plan on catching up on all the good things on cable. I can't really think of any other specific shows I want to start watching, though I'm open to suggestions. Mainly, I'm excited about this summer because I have a huge stack of books to read.

May 14th 2007 edited

rewatch as much of season Three as I have left on the two tapes I have (numerous tapings over, and last week I was at work so it got Scrubs and a good chunk of ER as well)

rewatch season Two in its entirity

catch up on all the Barney and Friends and New Yankee Workshops I may have missed the first time around (Baby Bop, you can't use a miter gauge for that! You need a power drill...and your imagination!)

The Soup doesn't stop for summer, does it? I hope not

That's about it, probably

May 14th 2007

I want to get started in on FNL, but I'm waiting on the internet here to stabilize. Our wireless has been total crap lately, so when they switch to cable then I'll start watching it.

I need to finish up watching all of 30 Rock.

I also need to see seasons two and three of AD.

Kyle XY starts on June 11th. I'm much more excited than I should be.

Ooh, and Project Runway!

May 14th 2007

You guys won't be disappointed by Battlestar Galactica. I am consistently amazed that one show can be so morally challenging, intellectually intriguing, emotionally effective and just downright cool all at the same time. I don't obsess about it the way I do about The Office, or the way I once did about Veronica Mars and Buffy, but it's really an awfully good show, and I'm consistently surprised by how often I find it coming up in my mind when I'm thinking about other things. The second season, in particular, is just great, great television. Also, I think the woman who plays Starbuck & I must have been born in the same hospital, one day apart.

I still have one season of Northern Exposure to catch up on, the third season of Veronica Mars to re-watch (I missed a bunch of episodes in the middle), and I plan to brush up on my Buffy for (I'm not kidding you) artistic reasons. Also, I've been planning to watch the This American Life TV show. I've only seen one episode. Mrs F has been trying to get me into Stargate: SG-1 for the longest time, so we'll see how that goes.

May 14th 2007

Ooh, and Project Runway!

Great. I had forgotten about Project Runway. So, other things to do: Resume the weekly battle between my wife & I as to whether we should really be watching Project Runway, when vitally important things are happening with the Red Sox. I expect to lose every week, especially now that she'll have accomplices: My best friend's little sister is obsessed, and she & Mrs F have totally bonded over PR -- they keep talking about how they're going to watch it together every week. Sigh. Not only out-womaned, but out-voted as well.

May 14th 2007

Wait, shouldn't summer be the time to be outdoors, having funtivities with close friends and family?

;-p

May 14th 2007 edited

Refer to my comments in the Shooting the Breeze thread for the pitfalls in that theory.

May 14th 2007

Ah, yes. I forgot about Project Runway. I'll be watching that too. Season 1 had to be the most entertaining reality tv I've ever seen.

And I don't "do" outdoors, THPJ. Once my father made me go outside because I was watching too much tv. So I took the old 10-speed for a spin around the cul de sac, only to be injured to the point of requiring stitches five minutes later.

May 14th 2007

Ok, I'm really forgetful. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is supposed to have new episodes sometime this summer, as well as the DVDs out sometime soon. I really highly recommend it.

May 14th 2007 edited

-Watch So You Think You Can Dance

-Finish watching Arrested Development

-Practice violin

-Fold and sell clothes

-Supervise the next generation of musicians

-Obsess over Harry Potter

-Read

-Sleep

May 14th 2007

Wait, shouldn't summer be the time to be outdoors, having funtivities with close friends and family?

Yes! Even though it's not summer yet, our summer break from The Office starts this Friday, so Saturday I'm going fishing with the family! The Shad are making their three week run through the Delta. I don't know if I'll be able to post all of my fish stories in the pretzel thread when I get back. If everything goes as planned my arms are going to be too tired from fighting those big guys.

May 14th 2007

I might take a course in industrial arts over the summer (please tell me I'm not the only one who's seen the classic MST3K short "Why Study Industrial Arts?")

"What about girls, young man?" "No, the chisel is my only friend!"

Okay, but I am taking a course in contemporary lit that starts next week. Should be...well, I'm taking it and that's all there is to it ;-)

May 14th 2007

-Obsess over Harry Potter

This is my acutal main activity planned for the summer. That, and try to get an agent.

In fact, I already spend nearly as much time obsessing over Harry Potter as I do on NA. Contemplate the terror of that, my friends, and then wonder when I sleep.

May 14th 2007

continue watching Entourage, which I just read starts up again in June, two weeks after the current season ends. Weird.

I did not know that, I figured after it ended in June it would be off the air for a while. I've been a little down on Entourage lately but I liked the last episode, at least something is starting to happen. So yeah, I'll continue to watch that.

I'm also intrigued by the John from Cincinnati surfing show on HBO, I'll probably give that a try.

And based somewhat on the recommendations of some of you folks, but mostly because of my interest in Maura Tierney, I'm going to rent all the old NewsRadio DVDs.

May 14th 2007
  • Watch The 4400
  • Read Harry Potter
  • Try to find work
  • Still hang out here (who are we kidding?)
  • Deadwood Season 2
  • Maybe Rome Season 1
  • Watch the latest installment of The Up Series... they are up to 49, can you believe it?
  • Start watching Heroes (thanks for the shout out, Brian) if I can get my VCR to tape the marathon this weekend. I need to stock up on tapes. How lame does that sound?

I am surprised to see someone watching Kyle XY on this thread. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't get past the poor clothing choices made by the mother and stopped somewhere in the third episode. If you can talk me into watching it, I will be happy to chat, but I am pretty skeptical.

If anyone hasn't seen or heard of The Up Series, I can honestly say it's the best series of movies I have ever seen in my life. Some British documentary maker chose some twenty seven-year-olds in 1960s England and interviewed them. Seven years later, he interviewed them again. It's down to about fourteen core people but they have been interviewed every seven years since. It's unbelievable to watch. It's a testament to the times, to what people can accomplish, to how people change, to how they don't... I've never seen anything like it. I really am considering buying the whole set, which I'm sure is more than a hundred dollars, but it's incredible film. We checked out the first DVD from the library because they had some slim pickings that day and ages 7 and 14 were on it. We watched them straight through and then scrambled to find the rest of them in the system. We'd watched the rest within two weeks. It's on Netflix for sure and Blockbuster might have it. It's totally worth investing the time in. And I'm not getting paid to say this.

I'm serious about this. Watch it!

And you can't go wrong with NewsRadio ever. I caught another wonderful Jimmy James line the other day: I have so many lawyers outside my door you'd think my implants were leaking tobacco.

May 14th 2007

And based somewhat on the recommendations of some of you folks, but mostly because of my interest in Maura Tierney, I'm going to rent all the old NewsRadio DVDs.

Good idea. I might do the same. I've also been thinking about checking out Friday Night Lights, despite my aversion to "football", due to reccomendations I've got here and elsewhere.

May 14th 2007

If anyone hasn't seen or heard of The Up Series, I can honestly say it's the best series of movies I have ever seen in my life.

I've been meaning to watch these for ages. I might have to give it a go this summer, as well.

My, what a packed summer. Find an agent, read Harry Potter, watch 28-Up, and binge on television. I wonder when I'll sleep. Or, you know, spend time with my wife.

May 14th 2007

I am surprised to see someone watching Kyle XY on this thread. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't get past the poor clothing choices made by the mother and stopped somewhere in the third episode. If you can talk me into watching it, I will be happy to chat, but I am pretty skeptical.

Kyle XY is pure guilty pleasure for me. As a show in general, it kind of sucks. I figured out the whole ending long before they intended for the average viewer to get it. The dialogue leaves much to be desired. The acting is so-so. However, the mix of Matt Dallas, some fun sci-fi, and good time spent with my roomies is priceless. I'll let you know if you should get into this time around, KarenM.

May 14th 2007

Well, the average viewer is probably about fourteen, so you had an unfair advantage. (You aren't fourteen, are you?) I do love fun sci-fi, though. I'll watch what I can online. They had some episodes from the start of season 1 about a month ago but I haven't looked since. Perhaps it won't be that hard to catch on. And he is nice to look at, with that six-pack completely unspoiled by a navel.

I've apparently watched all the Voyagers that Spike TV has. They were showing them twice daily in chronological order. A few days ago Seven was talking on the vidphone to her long-lost aunt, and today B'Lanna had sucker punched a Star Fleet engineer and wasn't chief engineer yet. We're back to the beginning.

I never did see Deep Space Nine. Those are on in the morning, though. I have the impression those really need to be watched from the beginning because character development was stronger than the action.

May 14th 2007

(You aren't fourteen, are you?)

Add a little less than six years onto that.

May 14th 2007

OK, I'm watching the third episode while doing the dishes. I forgot how much of a skank that daughter is. But she's right--it's not her responsibility to watch Kyle. Another lapse in the mother's judgment.

I first did your math wrong and calculated your age as nine. But then I realized my answer didn't make sense.

May 14th 2007

Yep, I'm just your average nine-year-old who watches Kyle XY with her roommates and procrastinates her Counseling and Therapy test so she can hang out on here. Even still, I think I am one of the younger regulars on the board.

Top Chef is another summer show I enjoy, but I didn't really get too invested last year.

May 14th 2007

Catch up on reading! I have 5 books waiting for me.

The afore mentioned Project Runway, ready CZJ?

Re watch S1, S2, and BBC version (that was last summer too) and add S3.

Teach my daughter to swim.

Teach my daughter to ride her 2 wheeler with training wheels.

Get a paying job? We'll see. I was job hunting for a few months but gave up. It seems no one wants to hire a mommy/housewife. :)

Hang here, of course, and catch up on all the haiku action. I've been slacking.

May 14th 2007

I've been slacking.

Absolutely you have, PG. Don't think we haven't noticed.

May 15th 2007

The afore mentioned Project Runway, ready CZJ?

I am so psyched! I miss my Tim Gunn :(

May 15th 2007 edited

Last year I took in the British Office, rented Lollilove, got started on Arrested Development

That's exactly what we did. This year, one of my students loaned me Firefly on DVD.

• I'll catch up on this past year's movie on Netflix.
  • Now I need to see "The Aristocrats"
  • Finish "Freaks and Geeks"
  • Teach Son 1 to ride a bike
  • Take both sons to swim lessons
  • Prepare for house addition
  • Prepare for fall semester teaching; it'll be here before I know it
  • Speculate in these forums
May 15th 2007

Okay, good thread. Things I need to do.

• Two weddings. Brother and best friend. Both in August. Both require travelling, which I'm happy about.
  • Taking two university courses in guidance for my education degree.
  • Working part time at Sylvan Learning Center.
  • Read at least one book.
  • Watching 30 Rock start to finish.
  • Watch S3 of Weeds if that show ever gets online.
  • Watching my 3 year old and my 10 month old grow up, and hopefullly be an active participant.
  • Spend every other waking minute on NorthernAttack, and on occassion OfficeTally, but only for the chat room.
May 15th 2007

What is this reading thing some of you speak of? And going outside -- where is this place? I know not of what you speak.

I'm going to rent all the old NewsRadio DVDs.

The best part, besides Maura Tierney, is seeing that Jimmy James goes on to become Melvin the stapler guy from Office Space. It almost makes Joe Rogan and Andy Dick forgivable.

May 15th 2007

Read the guiltiest of guilty pleasures - the new Stephanie Plum book, which will come out in June

Morelli and Stephanie could rival Jim and Pam for 'give the people what they want' ness.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 172
Top of PageBack to discussions