Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
"I wish I could menstruate": Your Biggest Office Confession.
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 126
May 17th 2007 edited

I figured Office confessions were needed, and never found a place to do so, (if there is, just tell me, ill fix it) so here is mine:

I have this weird thing with handling embarrsing moment in real life. If it's something really embarrssing that I do myself, I'm okay with it, but the fear of embarssment is overwelming, to the point where I wont ask salespeople things in storea that I'm shopping in due to fear of it being a stupid question (crazy, I know) Sadly, even more so is my fear of those around me embarrssing themselves, and the ackwardness that follows. Enter, "The Office" my favorite show, the only problem is Michael (and in the past, the Jim/Pam/Roy moments. My fear of the ackwardness, of the embarrssment is soooo great that even when I watch my DVD's and know what is going to happen, I will pause at several different points or turn away when something embarrsing is going to happen to Michael (for the most part) I.E. The dundies when he gets the towel thrown at him. It's embarrssing for me that I can't handle it, and more so because I don't know why. So a 23 minute episode for anyone else becomes a 37 minute episode for me. (Sad right) anyway, that's my office confession.

May 17th 2007

I can relate to what you're saying. I don't ask for directions. I don't talk to salespeople. And in fact, there are times when I avoid all contact with strangers as much as possible. It's called being introverted, or just being a guy. And I look away from the TV during cringe moments all the time, though not so much on repeat viewings. That's pretty funny. It's not so much fear of embarrassment for me as an inability to ingest too much awkwardness at once.

(I hate to say this, but I think it's spelled menstruate.)

May 17th 2007

Consider me guilty of those things too. I can add another to the list: I refuse to do a left turn in my car if there is no stop light or stop sign, the kind where you have to get inbetween two lanes of traffic going different ways. Especially during rush hour. I get the feeling that the people behind me are getting angry because I'm taking so long to do it, and it can take a while in between light changes on either side for a gap to occur that I could squeeze into and be on my way. Everybody thinks I'm weird for it. But I know the truth.

It can fit into other situations too, like standing still in an aisle in a department store with a cart while your friend/significant other/whatever takes forever to look through a rack of clothes. I feel like a lynching mob is forming behind me. I personally hate being delayed by slow people and the last thing I want to do is become one of them.

May 17th 2007

Is the quirks thread kind of too similar to this one?

May 17th 2007 edited

It is pretty similar.

I can totally relate to the no-left-turn, don't-ask-for-directions thing, being a girl and fairly extroverted notwithstanding. I mostly hate the feeling that I might possibly be inconveniencing anyone. I think I just have a severe people-pleasing complex. I've also always been embarrassed for characters on screen when they do something cringe-worthy. When I was younger that included anything remotely romantic--someone leaned in for a kiss, and I'd be burying my face in the couch cushion. My level of sympathy embarassment is directly proportional to how much I like/feel connected to the character. I get embarrassed on Toby's behalf a lot.

In a related vein, in some instances, I totally don't mind being put on the spot. I'm a teacher; I like public speaking; I don't mind having attention focused on me. I can be sitting around in a group of people and make some sort of sarcastic comment or joke; people laugh; we move on; everything's fine. But have someone say "That was hilarious. Do it again." and I'm incredibly embarrassed and stage-frighty.

May 17th 2007

and it can take a while in between light changes on either side for a gap to occur that I could squeeze into and be on my way

You should come to New York and drive around for a while. You'd be a huge hit. And then you'd be killed in a fury of mass vehicular vigilantism.

This turned into Quirks II (as opposed to Clerks II), though I don't think it was intended that way. Probably worth merging over there, though.

My level of sympathy embarassment is directly proportional to how much I like/feel connected to the character. I get embarrassed on Toby's behalf a lot.

Is that a secret to this show's success? Because I know I always identified strongly with Jim but secretly feared I was a lot more like Michael.

May 17th 2007

I found that having a few babies, and then raising them, pretty much eliminated any possible personal shame. I am now the embarrassment.

May 17th 2007

I refuse to do a left turn in my car if there is no stop light or stop sign, the kind where you have to get inbetween two lanes of traffic going different ways. Especially during rush hour. I get the feeling that the people behind me are getting angry because I'm taking so long to do it, and it can take a while in between light changes on either side for a gap to occur that I could squeeze into and be on my way. Everybody thinks I'm weird for it. But I know the truth.

I do this, too! For all the same reasons! I will even take a much longer route to where I'm going just to avoid the left-turn thing, especially when I have to drive in NJ.

You are not weird. I know the truth, too.

May 17th 2007

Is the quirks thread kind of too similar to this one?

Yeah, I noticed that one, the original intention of the thread was confessions about the Office, not everyday living. Sorry about that, should have clarified.

May 17th 2007

I have a complete fear of embarassment in everyday life, though I have absolutely no problem with public speaking. The way this translates to The Office is that I spend a good portion of the episode with my hands covering my eyes or the television muted on first watch. It drives people I watch with absolutely nuts, but I just can't handle it. I used to get embarassed by Friends, so imagine what an A-bomb of embarassment-related pain The Office must be.

On subsequent watches, I'm usually able to make it through without the mute button, but it always takes time before I'm able to stop covering my eyes.

May 17th 2007

Here's an Office-related confession: I only watched the first half of "Women's Appreciation" and didn't see the last half at all, and I only watched "Beach Games" once, and with half attention at that. Not on purpose, I just got caught up doing other things, and never went back to re-watch and didn't feel the worse for it. A pretty big change from previous episodes that I've watched numerous times and dissected into millisecond chunks. I'm sure it will get me kicked out of The Club for admitting this, but I just needed you to know...once.

May 17th 2007

Mine is more of an NA confession, but I am more popular here than in real life, and sometimes wish we all lived in Happysmiley Town so we could go eat at the Rubio's and shop at Target together. But then I worry that if we all lived in Happysmiley Town, it would be just like living in any other small town and I wouldn't seem so cool and I couldn't hang out with you guy anymore.

Everyone should look away now so I can keep my shame private.

May 17th 2007

Sorry, your posts are too cool to be avoided in Happytown.

May 17th 2007

Would we have to have jobs and pay bills in Happysmiley Town? If not, I'm totally there. I'd rather eat at Chipotle though.

May 17th 2007

I totally got a coupon for a free burrito from Chipotle in the mail last week. Awesome.

May 17th 2007 edited

I watched a few episodes of the first season but didn't get into the show. Then I didn't watch any tv whatsoever my freshman year at college so I forgot about that show with the cute couple but the boss who was just too annoying. Thank god I discovered it in repeats last summer. And that is my confession.

Also, I wish I could live in this Happytown, too. I was trying to explaining how you can remember Berlioz died in 1869 because Berlioz is a perverted man, and so is Kevin, and Kevin's favorite number is 69, so that's an easy date to remember for the music history final and everyone in the music library thought I was crazy. Then you can get the birth year is 1803 because 6 and 9 can be divided by 3 and he wrote Symphonie Fantastique in 1830 because that's 03 backwards. Yes, this was my day today. Trying to remember random numbers. I can identify piece names and composers like crazy, and tell you lots about their importance but I do not remember numbers at all. My brain hurts.

May 17th 2007

I also love Chipotle. I'd give up Rubio's for it if that meant you'd all move there.

May 17th 2007

Is Happysmiley Town near Funky Town? Cause that's where I want to live. (Assuming, of course, that there is also a Chipotle there.)

May 17th 2007 edited

Symphonie Fantastique

For some reason I associate the Angela/Dwight/Andy plot line in "Traveling Salesmen" with the fourth movement, Marche au supplice.

Coming this summer: Fantasia: Scranton.

May 18th 2007

I don't think the theme song of Happysmiley Town is any symphony. I hope it's more like "Grazing in the Grass" by Friends of Distinction. And Jenna Loves Josh? Yes, we'd all have to work, but it would be in the same office. We'll be fine.

May 18th 2007

My confession: I was a card-carrying member of the no-spoilers club, and yet I never stopped going into the spoilers thread and at least skimming the posts. I'd stop reading closely if it seemed like juicy material. But my OCD wouldn't allow me to leave that thread white. (My God, how it would have haunted me then!) I also realized I've been spoiled in a dozen ways: promos, speculation, media coverage. All I really avoided were the previews and discussion thereof.

May 18th 2007

In response to all the Lloyd Dobbler comments, I have a confession to make to all of you: I have not seen Say Anything. I have also not seen High Fidelity. And I like John Cusack, so I don't know what my problem is.

May 18th 2007

Wow. I envy you, TRBF, because you're in for a real treat when you do see them. Both of them. I'm always a little jealous of people who haven't yet seen a movie (or read a book) that I think is great, because I know what's ahead.

May 18th 2007

Here's mine:

Sometimes, on rare occasions, I think I would actually enjoy working next to Dwight K. Schrute. We could compare stories about our rural upbringings and I could lovingly dust his bobblehead doll each morning while we reenact our favorite scenes from Battlestar Galactica. Then maybe we'd hang out at lunch with beet salads.

I won't even go into my fantasies about what I would do if I worked with Jim. It's a family show, right?

May 18th 2007

In response to all the Lloyd Dobbler comments, I have a confession to make to all of you: I have not seen Say Anything. I have also not seen High Fidelity. And I like John Cusack, so I don't know what my problem is.

I...I...I don't even know what to say about that. I'm slack-jawed.

May 18th 2007

I...I...I don't even know what to say about that. I'm slack-jawed.

And that's different how? (No, I don't know why I said it, sometimes a burn is just so obviously there, how can it not be said.) I DIDN"T MEAN IT.

May 18th 2007

Luckily for you, Asdfaeou, I'm a pacifist. Furthermore, I am a lady and ladies do not retaliate with foul language.

And...you're still a student...so it's okay. Just watch your filthy mouth from now on.

May 18th 2007

Duly Noted.

May 18th 2007

My Office confession is that I truly, madly, deeply want to be in an Office chat somewhere when one or many of the show's cast comes on. I think about what I would say to the cast members if I did get a chance to talk to them. I'm not obsessed, but I do really wish it would happen. And I wish I was the only one in the chat room when it happened. Well, okay, it would be okay if one or two of you were in there with me, as long as you weren't question hogs. And you couldn't be funnier than me either. I see the conversation going something like this:

Jenna Fisch: Oh, Daoust, you're hilarious. You should be a writer for our show! Daoust: Indeed I should! Oh, wouldn't that be comical! I would think I could write a few knee-slappers, you know. Draw a few chuckles out. Indeedily do!
Jenna Fisch: Stop it, Daoust. You're hilarious! You sound so collegial and witty.

May 18th 2007

Do you use a British accent in chat rooms? And who's Jenna Fisch?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 126
Top of PageBack to discussions