Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
A summer of speculation: Part Deuce
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 49
May 17th 2007

I know it's a little early, but I figure we can get a head start in the misery that is the summer of speculation for season 4.

Does anyone else feel like this finale is finally the resolution to the last finale? I feel like I've been waiting a year, as if season III never actually happened. Am I the only one?

May 17th 2007

I feel it is NOT the finale to last seasons finale. I get a sneaking suspicion (which is pure speculation, since I have not been spoiled) that this finale will end up leaving us with as many if not more questions than last seasons finale. Not to put a damper on things. I'm just saying...

May 17th 2007

I guess that's sort of why I'm not as worked up about this finale as I would have expected to be -- I have no real expectation that it will wrap anything up at all. There's just too much to hand it all in with a tidy little bow on it after only one more hour. Mostly I'm dreading four Office-less months.

May 17th 2007

I'll probably burn up my DVD player over the summer. Maybe even go through two of them...we'll see.

May 17th 2007

I've realized just now that I packed my Office DVD's away in boxes and they're now in storage. I suppose I do have most episodes on my computer, but still. Hrmph.

May 17th 2007

I think this summer of speculation will very different - thankfully so, I don't need the angst. We can now look forward to how they will pull off S4, and bring us back to what makes the Office so special: taking joy in the execution, and perhaps easing up on the will they/won't they.

May 17th 2007 edited

Agreed Nicest Insect, so glad they didn't go with the major cliffhanger again, it was great once, but my heart wouldn't have been able to handle another one.

Still are some questions though:

• Will we come back to see Jim & Pam a happy, committed, and serious couple, or in more of a casual, friendly dating thing?
  • Is Karen totally gone? Any chance she comes back to Scranton, or is possibly working at corporate?
  • Is Jan gone? Will her and Michael be together at the start of S4?
  • Did Ryan get Jan's job? Or some other corporate job? Is he possibly off the show?
  • Will there be any new characters? Is it possible that an existing character could leave?

Only four months to go...

May 17th 2007 edited

Will we come back to see Jim & Pam a happy, committed, and serious couple, or in more of a casual, friendly dating thing?

They will own their own Boinkenberry Jam distributorship and run it on the side.

Is Karen totally gone? Any chance she comes back to Scranton, or is possibly working at corporate?

She moved to Spain. No explanation. Weird, right?

Is Jan gone? Will her and Michael be together at the start of S4?

Boobs.

Did Ryan get Jan's job? Or some other corporate job? Is he possibly off the show?

Serious answer: I think he got Jan's job. As a writer, BJ can be off the show and still be on the show, so maybe his on-screen role is diminished greatly.

ETA Clarification: Ryan said in the NBC blog that he looks forward to S4 from both sides of the camera.

May 17th 2007

I really really really really really hope we don't miss a moment of Jim and Pams first few days, weeks and months of their budding relationship. Even if it means breaking the continuity and documentary style of this show, I want to watch Jim and Pam's first date. I don't want to start S4 four months after Jim and Pam start. I can't bear the thought of all that time having passed.

I don't want Karen to come back. I don't want her to be in the mix when Jim and Pam are building their relationship.

I don't care what happens with Jan and Michael, or Ryan and Kelly. All I care about, or have ever cared about is JAM.

May 18th 2007

This finale has me content for the summer. I'm excited for fall, but at peace now that the Pam and Jim situation seems to be under control.

May 18th 2007 edited

General theme-related speculation:

Is it possible that the show will now shift even more of its focus to Michael? S1 was essentially introductions. S2 was relatively focused on Jim's thoughts and feelings. S3 dealt with Pam's development and growth. Will S4 be "about" Michael? He will probably be left the most shaken and unsettled by the finale. In S4, he will have to deal with OMG Jan, the fact that "the temp" is now his boss, and the prospect that he has hit the ceiling on his career at DM.

Incidentally, Jan is offering Michael everything he has ever claimed to want in his personal life.

May 18th 2007

Homeless Jim, I'm happy to see someone took my suggestion for a screen name. :) I would like to see S4 focus on Michael too - kinda. I'm also really pining for some Dwangela dirt. I'd like to see those two interacting away from the office environment, and I would LOVE to see Angela's cat box - er, house.

May 18th 2007 edited

Incidentally, Jan is offering Michael everything he has ever claimed to want in his personal life.

I think that's a great observation, mainly because I said something similar recently ;). The Michael who spent the 90s pushing paper under the tutelage of Todd F. Packer would be in his glory. Even ketchup fights Michael should be pretty stoked about stretch-pants Jan waiting for him at the end of the day. Maybe he's just bummed about the beating his eBay profile's about to take, but I sense that we're seeing a sort of new Michael, one who's evolved a lot like Pam has. you could see he has his trepidations about being Mr. Jan Levenson-Scott nee Gould. He's a little stronger, more focused on what he really wants. He's still a slightly sexist, slightly racist, completely buffoonish sales savant on a big fish-small pond power trip. But I think he's slightly less of all that than he once was, and Season 4 will really explore that space.

eta: I, as do you, feel the same, also, as this:

I'm also really pining for some Dwangela dirt.

May 18th 2007 edited

He's still a slightly sexist, slightly racist, completely buffoonish sales savant on a big fish-small pond power trip. But I think he's slightly less of all that than he once was, and Season 4 will really explore that space

Brian, I'm totally on-board with seeing some...um...maturity? from Michael next season and how it could affect the office dynamic. Half the camraderie comes from the common exasperation everyone feels towards Michael and his buffoonery. What if he's Fancy New Scott next year? Then what?

But I'm still holding onto my hope of seeing Angela's abode. I have ideas about how it would be, but I'd rather keep them to myself for now and let the set decorators show me how it REALLY is next season (hint hint, if you work for the show).

edited to acknowledge Brian's acknowledgement.

May 18th 2007

I think it's very possible that Michael will be more incorporated into the overall arc of S4, and therefore more "focus" would be on him. I don't however, think that it will translate into any more actual screen time for Michael. Everyone is pretty well aware that too much Michael Scott can be a bad thing, so while he may be involved in more continuing storylines, I don't think we'll actually "see more" of him. I think I would enjoy it if it played out that way. One thing that I really do hope they continue with (besides Jim and Pam, obviously) is the growth of the Jim/Dwight relationship. That provided some of my favorite S3 moments.

May 18th 2007

I also can't wait for the new Ryan/Kelly relationship now that Ryan is moving up the ladder. My guess is that Scranton visits will include booty calls.

Also, Ryan will add pressure to Michael, since he knows what an idiot he is. Maybe Michael will crack.

May 18th 2007

I also can't wait for the new Ryan/Kelly relationship now that Ryan is moving up the ladder. My guess is that Scranton visits will include booty calls.

You think she'd go for that? I wouldn't put it past her, I guess...

May 18th 2007

Regarding the screen name, BigTunaFishing, I also thought of it last night, but once I saw that you had listed it as a suggestion, I figured I better stake my claim sooner rather than later!

You could see he has his trepidations about being Mr. Jan Levenson-Scott nee Gould. He's a little stronger, more focused on what he really wants. He's still a slightly sexist, slightly racist, completely buffoonish sales savant on a big fish-small pond power trip. But I think he's slightly less of all that than he once was, and Season 4 will really explore that space.

Exactly what I was getting at, Brian.

May 18th 2007

You think she'd go for that? I wouldn't put it past her, I guess...

I'm guessing she would definitely go for that.

May 18th 2007

Regarding the screen name, BigTunaFishing, I also thought of it last night, but once I saw that you had listed it as a suggestion, I figured I better stake my claim sooner rather than later!

Aw, yay, great minds think alike! I seriously considered taking it...my friends and I always rag on each other when we're 'less than put together' about looking homeless so it's fitting. :) Enjoy the name - it's a good one!

May 18th 2007

I'm hoping Ryan misses Kelly and thinks she will go for that- and then she turns him down. And he loses some of his attitude. Although, I do look forward to seeing him in power. When I discussed it with my dad over the phone last night he said he thought Ryan looked really evil at the end. This should be interesting...

May 18th 2007

he said he thought Ryan looked really evil at the end.

Ryan needs to grow a goatee so he can stroke his chin pensively while reclining in his new executive chair.

May 18th 2007

he thought Ryan looked really evil at the end.

I thought he looked like a man who has found out he no longer has to roll a rock up a hill every day.

May 18th 2007

I always thought he was a sissy. It never occurred to me that he was actually a Sisyphus.

May 18th 2007

Ryan needs to grow a goatee so he can stroke his chin pensively while reclining in his new executive chair.

The thought of Ryan with a goatee greatly amuses me for some reason. He should go for it.

May 18th 2007

Maybe Ryan and Karen will hook up. It could be funny when Kelly finds out! Plus Ryan and Karen are kinda the same in attitude.

May 18th 2007

Then after he does that he can rest his chin on his steepled fingers while making diabolical comments.

May 19th 2007

If Ryan and Karen hooked up, their offspring would be marked with "666" and have an evil laugh.

That's right, he'd be co-owner of Dwight's Motel Hell ;-p (still can't get over that, a hilarious peek at Dwight's natural insecurities when he's trying to be menacing).

I think Karen will be back, and I base this on the fact that she obviously didn't get the job and unless she just transfers somewhere else she really has nowhere else to go. Amazing how her talking about how Jim has no future in Scranton could refer to herself if my evil scheme works itself out...I mean, if the writers want to keep her on the show. There's some great drama there (maybe too much, but just hear me out) in Karen having to witness Pam and Jim start their "thing". Of course, they could just boot her off a'la Henry Blake and I wouldn't care after the way she acted in the finale.

May 19th 2007

Of course, they could just boot her off a'la Henry Blake and I wouldn't care after the way she acted in the finale.

You'd want her to crash over the Sea of Japan? To quote Jim Halpert, "That's harsh."

May 19th 2007

That's right, he'd be co-owner of Dwight's Motel Hell

Is it just me, or did anyone else have "Hotel California" in their head when Dwight mentioned his hell hotel?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 49
Top of PageBack to discussions