Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I think I might try girls for awhile. Angela thinks I can cross over: Your Office Convert Stories
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 67
May 31st 2007 edited

So, I get extremely excited whenever I get someone to become an Office fan and I'm sure some of you do to. We can describe our Office conquests in this thread. Here go mine:

• I lent my BF my Office S1 and S2 DVDs last September before I had even watched them. She is now an obssessed freak like me.
  • My coworker, would constantly hear me reference the Office. I had my iPod here with me at work and showed her the part in Conflict Resolution where Michael is reading off all of Jim's pranks on Dwight. That same weekend she went out and bought S1 and S2 on DVD and is now hooked.
  • I gave S1 and S2 as a Christmas present this year to one of my other friends and the rest is history.
  • My brother used to always talk crap to me because I would reference Office. He happened to watch the newpeat Traveling Salesman/The Return combo when it aired and the next day he called me and asked for my S1/S2 DVDs. The following weekend he made a point to come over to my house to watch all of the S3 episodes so that he would be caught up by the time The Negotiation aired.
  • Most recently, my brother-in-law to be was staying at our house the week before our wedding. Both my husband and I had to work so I slyly left the dvds on the table in front of the tv. Since there really isn't much good tv on during the day, I knew he'd throw in a dvd. So yeah, in two days he was able to watch all of S1 and S2 up to The Injury. When he flew back home after the wedding, he downloaded the rest of the episodes and is now caught up. My other best friend who happens to be his girlfriend tells me that he is the male version of me and my best friend in that he is now quoting The Office all the time and has watched Beach Games and The Job about five times each (he has to watch it a few more times to catch up to me).

I would love to hear your Office convert stories!

I did a search for "convert" in the thread titles and comments and didn't find a thread like this. If one exists, then my apologies.

Jun 1st 2007 edited

When somebody comes over (that hasn't been at my house before) Mr. TO101 and I usually start off with the updog joke. After the laugh is over, I (as opposed to we) make the person sit down and watch The Secret so they can see where the joke came from. When I see this in print it sounds lame, but I think most people like it. I have two converts. One is fanatical, the other is just a normal person but she doesn't miss a single episode. Those two are more outgoing than I and in turn have converted quite a few people on their own.

Jun 1st 2007

I found these old posts of mine that talk about a couple of my conversions...

I never used to have anyone "real" with whom to discuss the show until this past summer. (My husband likes the show, but he's not NA fan calibur) Anyway, my sister was in from out of state and stayed with us for a week. I told her I intended to get her hooked on The Office before she left and she just rolled her eyes and said she didn't have time for TV. 6 days go by and she still hadn't watched any episodes. The night before her plane took off, I forced her to watch a few episodes. Long story short (too late!) she asked me to burn her a copy of S2 and S1 and that was it- she was hooked (I KNEW she would be!) I felt so proud. Now I have someone to actually talk to every Thursday at 8:15 and 9:00. And now I'm really looking forward to when she visits for the holidays cuz' we're gonna sit around and drink wine and have an Office marathon. TMI? Anyway, I agree. It's really nice to have someone to talk to other than the (great) NA fans.

and

I converted another relative on Monday! I went down to my sister-in-law's house for an all day visit and I grabbed my season one DVD before I left. Luckily, all the kids played nicely together which allowed me to casually ask, "How about we watch my Office DVD? I think you'll like it..." Sure enough, we weren't even through the 3rd episode and she was scolding me for not bringing my Season 2 DVDs! It was cute... after the talking head of Jim revealing he knows Pam's favorite flavor of yogurt and Pam's talking head where she giggles because Jim got it right, she looked at me and said, "They like each other, don't they?" Hee-Hee-Hee! She has no idea the Jammy goodness that is to come... She won't be caught up by tomorrow, but I will personally see to it that she will be ready to watch the Christmas special. I'm 3 for 3 with conversion attempts. Very exciting.

Jun 1st 2007

This thread reminds me of a Simpsons episode when Rodd and Todd Flanders collect playing cards of various biblical characters. One of the two opens up a package, and holding one up exclaims "Oh the apostle Paul! 29 Conversions!!!"

Maybe we could have NA collectors cards.

The Ferd Farkel Card
Among his many accomplishments, 12 Haiku Dundies.

The garbagethrower card
list of all the threads started

The Single Tear card
2005 stats: 117 conversions.

You get the idea. Anyway, ridiculously off topic.

Jun 1st 2007

I brought season 1 and 2 home for Christmas because I KNEW without a doubt my brother would like it. We had a lull in the day and mood, as does happens with families and holidays, so I put on the Christmas Episode in the second season. We ended up watching all 4 discs with him laughing until he cried, literally there were tears on this boy, at the part where Jim says he removed all the nickels from Dwights's phone. And now he's a total addict. The rest of Christmas break, or the rest of 2006, was Office, Office, Office

Jun 1st 2007

I got my mom and my youngest brother with "The Dundies" one Sunday afternoon last fall when we were all bored and the weather was too crappy to go outside.

Jun 1st 2007

For some reason, after college all of my friends decided to live a better life without television. I was (and still am) the sole cable subscriber in the bunch. When I was visiting them last year I made my friend, a recent iPod convert, promise to get one from iTunes. he did, and he's since downloaded them all and gotten his wife into it, too, so the converting continues.

And another friend loved the BBC version, but now loves the US one just as much or more.

My sister and mother were also just casual viewers until I fed them all my trivia, esp. B.J. starting a fire after writing but before filming "The Fire." Now they don't miss an episode.

Jun 1st 2007

I kept telling a co-worker he would like the show. He gave in and watched a re-run of Office Olympics last summer and was immediately hooked. He's not Northern Attack-level obsessed but watches every episode and we have a good discussion every Friday morning.

I didn't make a big effort to convert them, but my parents started watching this season because I talked about it so much and they like it, although they definitely don't "get" it at the level we do. Also, I've told this story on the board before but it bears repeating, my dad is a retired teacher but will substitute every once in a while for golf money. I lent him my S1 DVD and he shows episodes if the regular teacher didn't leave specific instructions. He says it's always a hit and The Alliance is a particular favorite. There was even a time the entire class stayed five minutes after the bell to see how it ended. And lunch was the next period. So hopefully some of them have become regular viewers.

Jun 1st 2007

The garbagethrower card
list of all the threads started

I think you have me confused with Loaded Teapot, Daoust. Her 43 compared to my 6, and all. But hey, you want to put me on a card? Where do I sign the waiver?

Jun 1st 2007

Only six huh? I swear I kept seeing your name at the top of the thread pile. Hmmm. Maybe you just start the good ones.

Jun 1st 2007 edited

Maybe you just start the good ones.

Suckup. You know I just have one vote a week like everybody else, right?

If you are aware of that fact, Daoust... redacted, and thanks.

Jun 2nd 2007

One of my converts has a 2 year old daughter. If you want to hear something really cute, listen in when she says her prayers at night. She thanks God for Mommy and Daddy, all of her cousins, and then Michael, Jim, and Pam.

One night she spent the night over my house. You know how kids will do anything to get out of the bed? ie: "I need a drink of water" or "I have to go poo" whatever works, they will try. Well this little cutie is calling out from her port-a-crib saying, "Get me out! I wanna watch Michael!" She calls The Office, Michael. It wasn't even on, but in her mind that's a valid reason to stay up.

Jun 2nd 2007

She thanks God for Mommy and Daddy, all of her cousins, and then Michael, Jim, and Pam.

I do that too. And Kevin. No not that Kevin, the one on TV. Well both.

Sep 20th 2007

So, I converted my coworker to the show awhile back. I tried to get his girlfriend to watch but he didn't think she would like it because of Michael. Today he comes in and nonchalantly tells me that his girlfriend stayed up until 1am last night finishing off season 3 of the show. She hasn't seen season 2, which I am bringing in tomorrow for them to borrow because if she liked season 3 she will definitely LOVE season 2. You can't be a fan of the Office and not seen season 2.

I got all giddy and excited that she liked the show. My coworker was laughing at me and called me an Office Missionary.

Sep 20th 2007

I told my boss (who I converted a while ago) to get Season 3 while he was recuperating from shoulder surgery and watch it, start to finish. I need to check on his progress when he's back from India on Monday :)

Sep 20th 2007

I encouraged a co-worker and fellow TV blogger of mine to get into the show, and he's almost caught up on Season 3. We're going to do a video blog together recapping and breaking down the season premiere. I've got a face made for print, but it's all about showing the bosses some initiative.

Sep 20th 2007 edited

If there's a lot of response from it, they'll be sure to take notice. I'll watch it.

Sep 20th 2007

Same. When it's done, be sure to share the URL with us, Brian.

Sep 20th 2007

Will you be freaked out that the majority of us here will be watching you?

Sep 20th 2007

Or would it be easier, pretending to talk to people you know?

Sep 20th 2007

We're going to do a video blog together recapping and breaking down the season premiere.

Does this mean we're actually going to get to hear you talk? Interesting. That's something I wonder about a lot around here: What do you guys sound like? I remember when it dawned on me that Mixed Berries must have an Australian accent. It rocked my world, believe you me.

Sep 20th 2007

Yeah, pretty sure I just chickened out.

Sep 20th 2007

No! Quickly, everybody send bravery vibes to Brian!

Sep 20th 2007

Well I can assure you I will definitely not be thinking about anyone I know watching it.

"I'm talking to a computer screen. I'm talking to a computer screen. I'm talking to a computer screen. "

Sep 20th 2007

Pretend you're talking to Harvey. Then you'll be okay.

Sep 20th 2007

Boobs.

I have converted my parents and my two best friends. I'm working on another friend this semester, using the "I'll watch Scrubs with you if you watch 30 Rock and The Office with me" ploy.

Sep 21st 2007

I'm on board. I want to watch!

(bravery vibes!!)

But...um...what are you people doing this Sunday? Are we still going to try to have a commentary of our own?

Sep 21st 2007

I converted two friends of mine. Now, the female of that couple says that she trusts me implicitly with viewing suggestions.

That is power you can't buy, my friends.

Sep 21st 2007

Now, the female of that couple says that she trusts me implicitly with viewing suggestions.

Oh, I know. After that, I've suggested AD, Lost, Extras, Heroes, and FNL to a couple of my friends and they went out and watched them just because I said they were good shows. Thanks Office for giving me that power.

Sep 21st 2007

But does the story conclude with them loving those shows and reaffirming how much they trust you to recommend more?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 67
Top of PageBack to discussions