Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Vol-de-mort, Vol-de-mort...: The Anti-Harry Potter Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 91
Jul 17th 2007

I suggested this in the Movies thread so we can snark about Harry to our heart's content and not bother those who like all things Harry-related.

Would you rather be stuck in a Borders overnight with nothing available to you but Harry Potter books or have to take an overnight sales trip to Wilkes-Barre with Todd Packer?

Jul 17th 2007

Well I can't be against books I've never read or movies that, for the most part, I've never seen. i can be against Harry Potter the individual though, and I'm happy to hate him with all the lusty, black-hearted hatred I can summon if it means I can stay.

What a munchkin asshat that guy is. Total tool.

Jul 17th 2007

This from a man who liked the Lord of the Rings movies. I'd think your tolerance for munchkin asshats would have to be pretty dang high for that.

Jul 17th 2007

I guess I could edit the name of the thread...but what would we call it? "The I've-Never-Read-Harry-Potter-Books-So-I-Don't-Get-All-The-Fuss-About-Them Thread" is a really long title.

And, Brian, namaste. You're welcome here. Especially for your clever usage of the word "asshat."

Jul 17th 2007

Hey, no way, DftF! You have your OWN Harry Potter thread. Get outta here!!

Jul 17th 2007

I think I'm going to come here and post all my Harry Potter updates, just so you guys can see them.

Jul 17th 2007

Not only do I not care about Harry Potter, I don't care enough to snark about him.

Jul 17th 2007

Okay I'd like to revise the "would you rather?" from my first post. Instead of "Todd Packer," it will now be "DftF." :)

The charter of this thread is clearly stated above: Snark about Harry to our heart's content and not bother those who like all things Harry-related.

Jul 17th 2007 edited

You can't tell me what to do. You're not the boss of this van.

Jul 17th 2007

True, but I am the boss of this thread. It's mine, I started it.

Geez, I've completely reverted to 6-year-old logic here.

Jul 17th 2007

Wow, you guys have hate in your hearts.

Jul 17th 2007

CZJ, maybe in like, a month, after most people have read the last book and all the fuss is dying down, I'll ask you to remove this thread. I just thought other people might also need a place to vent about the Potter madness going on right now.

Jul 17th 2007

Not only do I not care about Harry Potter, I don't care enough to snark about him.

That's how I feel. I'm actually kind of envious of people who are passionate about him. But I have read book 1 in its entirety, read half of book 2, saw the first movie, discussed Harry Potter at length with 8th graders who have love him, and even been in the same room (reading probably) while my husband watched the other movies in the series, so I think I've given the whole phenomenon a fair shake, and I guess it's just not my cup of tea. Which is too bad, because, like I said, both the books and the movies sound like wonderful treats if you like the whole thing.

Jul 17th 2007

I think the final straw for me (at least as far as the insanity surrounding this goes) was that in church on Sunday, the reverend gave his entire sermon comparing the themes of HP to those in the Christian story. Now, I'm not trying to start a religious debate with this, so please don't freak out about that. I was just floored that the sermon was all about Harry Potter...it's like I can't escape it. And since I can't, I wanna bitch about it a little bit. :)

Jul 17th 2007

Harry Potter is much more popular than church. That's probably why he did it. At least he didn't stand up there and tell you how evil it is, and it encourages people to do witchcraft (which, here's a clue: There's no such thing as witchcraft), because that's what my grandmother's, uh . . . pastor does. (Is pastor the right word? I've grown up with priests and rabbis. I have difficulty with Protestant terminology sometimes.)

Jul 17th 2007

I saw Harry Potter punch a puppy right in the face.

Jul 17th 2007

Pastor could be the right word... is he in charge of everyone? Pastor always seems like the head administrator. A minister with a promotion and responsibility.

Jul 17th 2007 edited

Then he kicked a whole litter of kittens down the stairs.

And to DftF's point: the rev even called out the awesomely judgmental Christians (irony? yes) for hating on Harry because it's too "witchy." He even did the air quotes when saying 'witchy.' He really liked the books, which I suppose is why he did a sermon about it. I also have problems with rev/pastor/whatever since I grew up with priests too. I assumed the title-age was the same with Episcopalians, but nope.

Jul 17th 2007

I never bought into that whole Reformation thing, is the problem. Christianity totally jumped the shark right around the time of Martin Luther, and I quit paying attention. It's sort of like ER that way.

Jul 17th 2007

KarenM, yeah this particular rev runs the parish (if that's right, again I was raised as a Papist)...I guess he's a pastor then. But he's formally known as a Reverend in all the church bulletins and such...so I don't know. It's confusing, I think Episcopalians have even more obtuse lingo than the ol' Catholics do.

Jul 17th 2007

Okay, here's something I've never been quite clear on: Are Episcopalians different to Anglicans, somehow, or is it just two words for the same thing?

Jul 17th 2007

Martin Luther = Dr. Greene dying. I get it.

Jul 17th 2007

They don't bring in outside management to be pastors--usually--so he could be both. And I always thought those two religions were the same.

Jul 17th 2007

I think they are pretty much the same...I mean, the only reason the Anglican church even exists is thanks to Henry VIII and his horndog, son-needin' self. But that's a discussion for a whole other day...

Jul 17th 2007

Exactly.

Jul 17th 2007

Except ER jumped the shark like, seven times, Christianity on the other hand...no wait it's the same.

Jul 17th 2007

Christianity only jumped twice: Reformation and then Vatican II. Everything else is a spinoff.

Jul 17th 2007

I refer to the church we attend as the "Missouri Compromise" in our house. Mr. Fishing is a good-for-nuthin' Lutheran and I am a good, God-fearing Catholic. He got all cranky about attending Mass after we got married (in a Catholic church WITH full Mass, mind you) so finally I said, okay let's meet in the middle and go to an Episcoplian church, which seems to be working. It's close enough to Catholic ritual/structure for me, and it's not full of references to the Pope and saints, which Mr. Fishing likes.

Jul 17th 2007

I believe, at least in Matthew, Mark, and Luke, the Jumping of the Shark comes right after the story of the Loaves and Fishes. John does not have a Jumping of the Shark, but he does have a similar Adding of the Kid passage.

Jul 17th 2007

Wait, wasn't the Jumping of the Shark somewhere in Colossians 2?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 91
Top of PageBack to discussions