Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Deep Thoughts...
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 168
Sep 15th 2007

Do you ever find yourself reading a book, watching a movie, or whatever, and someone says something so profound (or outrageous, or thought-provoking), that you want to share it with anyone who will listen?

That happened to me today at the laundromat. And I thought to myself, "Huh...the contest is over, the NAsquerade is over, and we still have over a week to kill before the show starts up. What will we talk about?"

I offer up the following: A short-lived thread that addresses whatever quotes you find profound...but with no discussion. Here's an example:

"If you want to truly deduce how intelligent someone is, just ask this person how they feel about any issue that doesn't have an answer; the more certainty they express, the less sense they have. This is because certainty only comes from dogma."

Chuck Klosterman

If you have a response to this, use another quote; not your own personal expression. Let the (short-lived, that's how my threads roll) game begin!

Sep 16th 2007 edited

"It's not all about Martini's" - Daniel Lindsay

Sep 16th 2007

"Freedom’s just another word for nothin’ left to lose" - Kris Kristofferson

Sep 16th 2007

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy" - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sep 16th 2007 edited

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be a part of your revolution."--Emma Goldman

Sep 16th 2007

"Those aren't pillows!" --Steve Martin

Sep 16th 2007

Ooh, I have lots of these that have touched me. I should post this in Book Recommendations, but I have to say that Great Companions, edited by Robert French Leavens and published in two volumes is my favorite deep thought reference. I love that these little book are "pocket-sized" and very old. Check them out of your library when you need some inspiration. I guarantee you'll find something.

Thomas Merton has been inspirational to me lately. Here are a couple gems from his Passion for Peace:

"He will not let himself be persuaded that the adversary is totally wicked and can therefore never be reasonable or well-intentioned, and hence need to be listened to."

"Our readiness to see some good in him and to agree with some of his ideas (though tactically this might look like a weakness on our part), actually gives us power: the power of sincerity and of truth."

Sep 16th 2007

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliott

Sep 16th 2007

"I'm not going to live in a house of evil just to save a few dollars." --Marge Simpson

Sep 16th 2007

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

(Although he also said "I am the walrus", so I don't know what you make of that ;-p )

Sep 16th 2007

"Fear is the heart of love" - Death Cab for Cutie, "I Will Follow You Into the Dark"

Sep 16th 2007

"Pam is taller. She has bigger breasts too."--Kevin Malone

Sep 16th 2007 edited

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" (I guess the non-Grey's Anatomy version, though, since this line isn't in the version that's on the radio, but it is in the version I bought from iTunes last year.)

Sep 16th 2007

"Pam is taller. She has bigger breasts too."--Kevin Malone

And the corollary to this: "Your advice was good, but Jan's was bigger." --Michael Scott

Sep 16th 2007 edited

"There is one word in America that says it all, and that word is youneverknow."
--Joaquin Andujar

Sep 17th 2007

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." --Oscar Gamble, New York Yankees

Sep 17th 2007

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 6

Sep 17th 2007

"Because there are no fours." -- NBA long-range gunner Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

Sep 17th 2007

"Because she is too ugly to kiss goodbye." -- Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips.

Sep 17th 2007

"We're lost -- but we're making good time!" -- Yankees catcher Yogi Berra, on his way to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It's pretty much how I live my life.

Sep 18th 2007

"I used to think it was clever to confuse comedy with tragedy. Now I wish I could distinguish them." -- John le Carré, A Murder of Quality

Sep 18th 2007

"She's gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen." -- Lloyd Dobler

Sep 18th 2007

...pen."

"I bought a seven-dollar pen because I always lose pens and I got sick of not caring." — Mitch Hedberg

Sep 18th 2007 edited

"Saying 'I'm sorry' is the same as saying 'I apologize.' Except at a funeral. "

-Demitri Martin

Sep 18th 2007

"I was at the movies the other day and a man came up to me and asked, 'Is this seat saved?' I answered, 'If the current philosophical quandary is whether even animals have souls, what chance does an inanimate object like a chair have of gaining salvation?' He said, 'I mean, is this seat taken.' Ambiguity!"

--Emo Philips

Sep 18th 2007

We had a discussion about the wonder of the film Tombstone some months back:

Wyatt Earp: How are you?
Doc Holliday: I'm dying, how are you?

Sep 19th 2007

"Failures are divided into two classes - those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." - John Charles Salak

Sep 19th 2007

"We need knee pads, not Band-Aids." - My boss, this afternoon, discussing solutions to work problems.

Sep 19th 2007

"You know what I hate? Indian givers...(pause)...no, I take that back."

--another from Emo Phillips

Sep 19th 2007

"Ever notice how irons have a setting for permanent press? I don't get it." —Steven Wright

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 168
Top of PageBack to discussions