Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.: Nerdy Interests
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 155
Sep 20th 2007 edited

I was thinking of how some things I consider nerdy are considered normal and vice versa. Like, I think the way my husband obsesses over fake trades on his Madden games is nerdy. He thinks the fact that I even play The Sims 2 is nerdy.

What 'nerdy' stuff do you like?

PS: The alternate name for this thread was "What's up M'Nerds?"

Sep 20th 2007

Two words: Star Wars

Sep 20th 2007

I think the following things are nerdy:
- The way my hubby can play the recorder like Dwight
- The way my hubby does the Carlton dance
- The way my hubby can recite the lyrics to most any 80's song

Basically, I think my husband is nerdy.

He thinks I am nerdy for:
- posting on NA
- Being able to recite Jim's confession / Pam's confession
- my ability to do the moon walk

Sep 20th 2007

I totally love MMRPGs.

Sep 20th 2007

See, for some reason, I don't think it's nerdy that I post here...but I don't think it's entirely normal either. At least I don't post on the "Lost" message boards...talk about nerd central. Sheesh.

Sep 20th 2007

This right here is my foray into nerdity.

Sep 20th 2007

Also, I like to learn about ancient civilizations and thus, spend a lot of time watching shows on National Geographic Channel.

Sep 20th 2007

Ancient civilizations, eh? When we went on a cruise a couple of years ago, one of our stops was in Cozumel, MX and we took the excursion to Chichen Itza. It was an awesome experience. We got to climb up the pyramids which were pretty steep and scary. It's awesome how the ancient Mayans (and other civilizations) were able to build these things without the tools that we have now.

Sep 20th 2007

I would love to see that...and the Roman ruins. And dink around Greece. And visit Peru. See...total nerd about that stuff :)

Sep 20th 2007

Not a nerd. I think that stuff is pretty cool, actually. I want to go too.

Sep 20th 2007

History "nerds" of NA, unite!!! :)

Sep 20th 2007

MMRPGs

MM Rocket Propelled Grenades? Oh, role playing games.

I collect the Fifty State Quarter series in a nifty green portfolio. And I have to get the quarters out of circulation. I'd never buy them at the bank or something like that because that would taint my collection. It's been nine years. I'm almost done.

Sep 20th 2007

I do too! But, I've sort of lost my book. It'll be the hardest $12.50 I've ever saved.

Sep 20th 2007

I read about Arab history a lot, particularly medieval Arab history, which my wife tells me is nerdy. I brushed up my calculus a little to keep up with articles on Baseball Prospectus. I've seen every episode of Buffy and Angel at least twice, and many of them many more times. I could give you a concise summary of the events of all seven Harry Potter books from memory, which is way nerdier than I ever expected to be. I do in fact watch Battlestar Galactica, and am a sucker for almost anything involving space aliens. I read bicycling websites in French despite the fact that I only understand about half of what they say, on the theory that this will help keep me from forgetting all my French. I do this, right here: post on chatty rooms.

My wife, who thinks almost everything I do is nerdy, listens to classical music and tinkers with electronics -- sometimes simultaneously. Pot: meet Kettle. Know what I mean?

Sep 20th 2007 edited

I am a classical musician. I read fantasy novels. I throughly enjoy my college classes (most of the time). I follow web comics. I read fanfic (good office fic for my jam addiction and bad hp fic for the laughs). I'm passionate about politics. I post here :-)

Sep 20th 2007

MMRPGs

My guess was Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. That doesn't really work, but that would be ridiculously nerdy.

My husband makes fun of me for posting here. It's OK. He's got a nerdy dance he does when he's proud of himself. So I have that on him.

Sep 20th 2007 edited

I am a "dorkestra" girl as well (high five, Phyllis!) I will get up at 4 in the morning to watch soccer. I have staring contests with the dog. I love the Twilight series (amazing books, but you can't explain them to someone else without sounding like a big nerd). I love the History Channel. I dance in front of security cameras. I have a goal to go to England and see the Auto-Icon of Jeremy Bentham. I have another goal to try every flavor of Jello. Also, the posting here.

Sep 20th 2007

I dance in front of security cameras.

I think I might have mentioned this before, but I like to walk backwards in front of security cameras on the off chance that someone will watch the tape in rewind and see me walking forward and become extremely confused.

Sep 20th 2007

For the past 8 or 9 years, I've had a subscription to a magazine called Country Woman. It's exactly what you think it might be. When it started years ago it was aimed at farm wives, but it's expanded a bit to include all things country. It's thin (but glossy, and no ads), and a lot of the articles are folksy and...country-ish. Every issue has a feature called My County Kitchen, which is full of photos of someone's pride and joy kitchen, usually newly remodeled. There are more duck and apple motifs than you thought possible. There's also a feature called "Has Anyone Seen," in which people (none of whom apparently have access to Internet search engines) ask for recipes, cross-stitch patterns, and general whatnot (postcards from around the world, ideas for how to use corn husks in crafts) that they cannot seem to find from other sources. Of course, it is chock full of recipes, including tons of casseroles and other down-home fare from people who think every recipe needs to have three full cups of shredded cheddar cheese at the end of it; these same people have obviously never heard of lower-fat sour cream and tend to wrap everything in bacon. This magazine is so not who I am right now, and yet every time an issue arrives I look forward to going to bed at 9 pm just so I can read it and vege out for a while.

Sep 20th 2007

I am so glad that we are all sharing our nerdiness with each other. I have a lot of nerdo things that I do in secret. Even my playing of The Sims 2 is known only to Mr. Fishing, my best male friend and my best female friend. And...you guys now. I guess I'm coming out. But I'm not gay.

Sep 20th 2007

I apparently have a subscription to Working Mother. It comes to my house every month addressed to me.

Sep 20th 2007

I love the Twilight series (amazing books, but you can't explain them to someone else without sounding like a big nerd).

Yeah, that's the worst. "You see, it is about vampires, but it's not weird, I swear! Yeah, it is mostly romance, too. Oh, there are werewolves as well!"

I have another goal to try every flavor of Jello.

I love you for this. Are we Utahn, or what?

Harry Potter.
Lord of the Rings.
Young adult lit.

Sep 20th 2007

I'm a nerd because I read with fascinated interest about the Bentham icon. I still like Burke better, but Bentham's cool too.

Sep 20th 2007

I listen to Coast to Coast AM just about nightly. I can tell you the difference between the grays and reptilians, I know what's under the Sphinx, and I can list all the cataclysms that await us in May of 2012.

I read my share of scifi, too.

Sep 20th 2007

Yeah, that's the worst. "You see, it is about vampires, but it's not weird, I swear! Yeah, it is mostly romance, too. Oh, there are werewolves as well!"

HA! "Why are you looking at me like that? Just read the book." I've had this conversation so many times.....High five!

I have another goal to try every flavor of Jello.

I love you for this. Are we Utahn, or what?

Heck yes! How do you feel about fruit bits in the jello? I'm torn on this issue.

I've had a subscription to a magazine called Country Woman.

My mom takes this magazine! It's no Cracked, but the recipes are awesome. Also, a lot of ladies in attractive sweater vests.

I'm a nerd because I read with fascinated interest about the Bentham icon.

It really takes quite a person to say "You know what? I'd like to be taxidermied when I die." You can't top that. I was thisclose to getting to see him, too! I was going with a group from my grad program, and our trip got cancelled a few weeks before we were supposed to leave (the day after I got my passport in the mail! Stupid Provost!) One day, though, it's going to happen.......

Sep 20th 2007

I used to have all my friends come over to my house, hook up their computers to my home network (in the 90's that was avant garde), and play computer games all night.

I'm a birdwatcher with close to 500 birds on my life list.

I get up in the middle of the night to see astronomical events.

I also geek out on the History Channel and the Discovery Channel.

Sep 20th 2007

I've been trying to figure out what nerdy thing I do, other than this of course, and then I remembered: I have a blog. Actually, I have two blogs, one about knitting and a personal blog I started when I moved to L.A.

But other than that...I can't think of anything.

Sep 21st 2007

I have blogs. And I mentioned MMRPGs but I should have said MMORPGs. I don't have time to play them anymore, but I used to dig them. What else?

I get a lot of computer mags. And I don't work in the business. We (the husband and I) like to geek out over MAKE magazine. And National Geographic. There is more reading material in our bathrooms than I care to admit.

I have this obsession with a television show called The Office. Also, Laurell K Hamilton and her vampire novels. And of course, I post here. All the time.

Sep 21st 2007

There is more reading material in our bathrooms than I care to admit.

Our bathrooms are littered with all kinds of reading material. The one upstairs has a couple of books on baseball, at least one incomprehensible book about audio equipment, and a little pocket history of Pomeii. Downstairs, we have back issues of The Economist and a huge book called Oregon Geographic Names, which is so much fun for geeky people from Oregon that I can't even begin to explain.

Also, I love playing with demographic statistics. If I had wanted to make a lot of money and had known my butt from my elbow back in the day, I would have become an actuary.

Sep 21st 2007

I have these things I do with music. Alot. For one, you know about the car rock contest thing. I also will (if I'm working at the moment, or bored) choerograph figure skating rountines to songs I like, (I have to be listening to my ipod to do this) of course I do new moves no one has ever done before, that will be named after me. I also make up songs all the time about random things. I try to catch up on this book series called Animorphs I was obsessed with a while back. I do the CD rating thing, And I play Runescape. There are others, to be sure.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 155
Top of PageBack to discussions