Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Did you see the game last night? : Sports Talk
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 396
  12. >
1 to 30 of 11863
Oct 2nd 2007 edited

"Which one?"

"Any of 'em."

Oct 2nd 2007

No serioulsy, though. Did you see the game? We're going to the playoffs!

Oct 2nd 2007

I saw everything but the decicive blow, because I decided I had better do the dishes before Heroes. I am dumb.

Oct 2nd 2007

We're going to the playoffs? I can't even afford the Office Convention. How am I supposed to swing playoff tickets?

Oct 2nd 2007

Oh no, I'm sorry Brian. You're not going.

Oct 2nd 2007

But it's Beach Day!

You know, with the pitching on those two teams and their bandbox parks, we should see some offensive records challenged. This being baseball there will probably be two no-hitters and three 1-0 games.

Oct 2nd 2007

I once saw the A's play the Twins in Oakland for ten dollars -- this game, in fact, certainly the most exciting baseball game I've ever seen in person -- and the stadium wasn't even full. Decisive game of a playoff series, empty seats in the house. Crazy.

Oct 2nd 2007

Is this thread about hockey? How about those Leafs?

Oct 2nd 2007

Gosh, I hope the Canucks are good this year.

Seriously, are they? They're the only pro sports team my wife follows, and I think she'd be impressed if I knew whether or not they were good at all.

Oct 2nd 2007

This being baseball there will probably be two no-hitters and three 1-0 games.

I was amazed when I saw that Jeff Francis won 17 games this year. That is very strange. So, to echo Brian, the Hamels-Francis game will end 15-13.

Oct 2nd 2007

So, the Thief must have ESP because I've had the thought of opening a sports talk thread in the back of my mind for a long time, and this is the exact quote I was going to use.

Anyway, Holliday did not touch home and should have been called out. Plus, you should never slide head first into home, he's lucky he didn't get hurt worse than he did. I can't figure out why he didn't just run the catcher over. Holliday's a huge guy, there's no way Barrett would have held on to the ball. Actually, the smart play would have been to stay at third. The fly wasn't that deep and it was only the first out with Helton and Hawpe coming up. Stay at third and take your chances with two good clutch left-handed hitters.

Am I correct in thinking that the Phillies are a good matchup for the Rockies? Usually the Rockies poor starting pitching would be serious trouble in a playoff series, but I don't think the Phillies' starters are any better, and the Rockies do have a good bullpen.

Oct 2nd 2007

Gosh, I hope the Canucks are good this year.

They should be competitive. They traded a key player last year, Todd 'Sucker Punch' Bertuzzi, but they still have the Sedin boys who are rather talented and Naslund is somewhat of a sniper. Plus they have Luongo in goal and former Blue Curtis Sanford, and a good goalie can carry a team, and they have two good ones.

Blues picked up Kariya which is intriguing, but Legace has been struggling in the net. Excited about watching former #1 pick Eric Johnson in action, basically our replacement for Pronger. Al MacInnis was impressed, so that's a decent sign.

I haven't had a chance to watch the Holliday slide yet, but from what I heard on the radio this morning the call was BS and the Padres got screwed. I can't wait to take a look, apparently he took quite a face-dive. They were also taking calls on whether or not instant replay should be implemented into MLB. But congrats to all you Phillies and Rockies fans, nothing better than October baseball.

And lastly, am I alone in the "I could care less about Tom Brady camp"?

Oct 2nd 2007

They were also taking calls on whether or not instant replay should be implemented into MLB.

Forgot to mention that the Padres got screwed by the Holliday play, but the Rockies probably got screwed on Atkins home run that was called a double. So, tit for tit.

Oct 2nd 2007

The Phillies' starters pitched shutdown ball for the last 17 games, but there's no reason to expect that to continue -- Cole Hamels is a live-in-the-flesh ace, but the rest of their guys are just journeymen accidentally getting hot at the same time. Since there is no correlation between how well a team plays at the end of the regular season and how it does in the playoffs, I'd expect the Phils' starters to turn back into pumpkins starting now.

The Phils are not a particularly good secret sauce team -- other than Bret Meyers and Hamels, their pitchers are unexceptional when it comes to striking men out, and their defenders run the gamut from very good (Utley, Rowand) to the downright butchers (Burrel, Howard). What they do have is a considerably better offense than the Rockies. It's easy to underestimate this difference because of the effect of Coors Field; the Phils only outscored the Rocks by about thirty runs, but that difference is huge, even in the humidor era

The Rockies have much better pitching, and in fact are an excellent secret sauce team, with strong defenders at nearly every position. They lack in power pitchers, which tend to be important in the playoffs, but their defensive edge is nearly as massive as the Phillies' offensive edge. Their offense, other than Tulowitzki and Holliday, is somewhat anemic; if they get into too many contests in which someone scores 15 runs, they're going to lose.

Overall, given that the Phils get to separate the wheat from the chaff of their rotation, starting Hamels more often and Adam Eaton not at all, I'd say they're slight favorites. The Rockies have a very balanced rotation, which is nice in the regular season, but doesn't allow much for playing matchups and accentuating their strengths in the playoffs. Anyway, it's pretty close to a coin flip.

Oct 2nd 2007

And lastly, am I alone in the "I could care less about Tom Brady camp"?

No, you're not. He's the Derek Jeter of the NFL, but worse, cos he's not as good as Derek Jeter. (I know, apples, oranges, whatever.)

Oct 2nd 2007

Baseball sucks.

Oct 2nd 2007

Baseball sucks.

This is false, and you're poopy.

Oct 2nd 2007

Am not.

LA crapped themselves; not me.

hmph.

Oct 2nd 2007

I'm a Cubs fan. By making the playoffs it essentially means that my disappointment has only been postponed a few more days.

Oct 2nd 2007

I think you can care less about Brady, but I think the guy's a solid athlete. Whether or not you like him, that's up to you. But give him his due. He is a great centerfielder.

Brady plays for the White Sox, right?

Oct 2nd 2007

I'm a Red Sox fan. I used to feel this way. Now? Not so much.

Oct 2nd 2007

Baseball sucks.

Blasphemy!

Oct 2nd 2007

Baseball DOES suck. Stupid White Sox.

But then again, by that reckoning, so does football. Stupid Bears.

Oct 2nd 2007

cod, thanks for your help with the hockey, though I'm not entirely certain what you said there wasn't just a bunch of gibberish designed to make me look stupid if I try to talk about it in front of anybody who actually knows anything about it.

Oct 2nd 2007

Stupid Bears.

Yeah, screw you, Cal-Berkeley!

Oct 2nd 2007

Stupid Bears.

Speaking of which, watched Flags of our Fathers last night. Nice nod to Soldier Field. Can we have Lovie back though? You can keep Rex.

Oct 2nd 2007

I think you can care less about Brady, but I think the guy's a solid athlete. Whether or not you like him, that's up to you. But give him his due. He is a great centerfielder.

Dummy...Tom Brady was the oldest son on the Brady Bunch. He never played baseball.

Oct 2nd 2007

bunch of gibberish designed to make me look stupid if I try to talk about it in front of anybody who actually knows anything about it.

Not the intent whatsoever. Western division is tough, but the Canucks are always in the mix of things and should remain that way due to goaltending.

Oct 2nd 2007

Can we have Lovie back though?

No.

You can keep Rex.

No.

Oct 2nd 2007

It's easy to underestimate this difference because of the effect of Coors Field;

Don't underestimate the fact that PNC is only slightly larger than the trunk of my Accord.

How are the Phils and Cubs both 6-1 faves while the Rox are 20-1 and AZ is 10-1? Home field is almost irrelevant, the Rox finished even hotter than Philly and the Cubs are the Cubs.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 396
  12. >