Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.05 Local Ad
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
91 to 120 of 308
Oct 25th 2007

I don't think it's Jim's dream to be a sportswriter. It may be his dream to be a fiction writer, or maybe a songwriter, but he might have been to shy to reveal something so personal in an online environment. So he picked a profession somewhat related--yet kept the guitar as a symbol of what was really in his heart. Or maybe he just randomly picked stuff. I don't know that he has dreams. Maybe tonight was the beginning of Jim realizing that a man his age, who is with a woman as lively as Pam, had damn sure better start acquiring some dreams or she's going to leave him in the dust. Otherwise, though, I think Jim and Pam are on solid ground. I don't really see a breakup looming, just the normal kinds of adjustments people go through. To see them go through it with the kind of warmth they showed tonight will be wonderful.

My fave scene: Michael asks Pam to "clear his phone lines". She doesn't even argue with him, just makes those phone noises to convince him she's doing it. She knows him too well to think that reason would even make a dent. So classic. I laughed my ass off.

Oct 25th 2007
  • "I'm not really used to doing videos with so many people around." Holy cow. Meredith's life gets sadder and sadder.
  • I don't know why, and I'm probably a bad person for thinking this, but Phyllis crying is the funniest thing.
  • Pam with morning hair = adorable.
  • Pam's animation was cute, too.

Given how embarrassed Jim seemed about the guitar thing, I found it completely believable that he's been hiding it from Pam all this time. And that Pam didn't notice the guitar in his room the one time she visited in Email Surveillance.

bee boop bee beep beep beep beep beep beep bip

Oct 25th 2007

This episode was filmed three weeks ago. Ever since I learned that the phones in the office are real, working telephones, I look at the date on the screen while they're using the phones. This one was 10/03/07. That was just one week after the season premiere. They don't film much in advance.

Oct 25th 2007

Where was Toby?

He appeared briefly in the ad, so at least we know that Michael didn't send him home like he usually does.

Oct 25th 2007 edited

They don't film much in advance.

I vaguely recall hearing somewhere that they record about a third of the season at a time, so I figured that to be about seven episodes. Although I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they air seven weeks ahead...

eta: Now that I think about it, that might've been writing the episodes 7 at a time...

Oct 26th 2007

This episode was filmed three weeks ago. Ever since I learned that the phones in the office are real, working telephones, I look at the date on the screen while they're using the phones. This one was 10/03/07. That was just one week after the season premiere. They don't film much in advance.

I believe they start filming in late July, so unless this episode got bumped up, I bet they were just trying to project when it would be shown and set it around then. Also since there's a ten day time lapse in the episode, it would take place last week, which would make sense for a real documentary show to be airing now. If all of what i'm assuming is true, the writers are ridiculously focused on details.

Anway I loved the episode, and my favorite part might have been showing Michael and Dwight and Pam in the office at 2am, exhausted from editing and stuff. I have been there many, many times editing stuff.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

showing Michael and Dwight and Pam in the office at 2am

This was another slight stretch of the documentary deceit. The camera crew there at the office at 2:45am? Unlikely.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

I bet they were just trying to project when it would be shown and set it around then.

Maybe.

I remember looking at some of the phones during season 2 because I learned that they were real during the summer after season 2. The dates on those phones were about 6 weeks earlier than the time they aired. It could be that because we had the hour episodes, the first four eps took two weeks each to film, so placing this episode at the week beginning Mon. 10/1, they would have started filming this season the week of August 27. Does anyone know when they started filming this season? Just wondering if my theory can stand the test.

Oct 26th 2007

This was another slight stretch of the documentary deceit. The camera crew there at the office at 2:45am? Unlikely.

Believe me - if it is something worth capturing on camera, like Pam's first ever overnight stay in the office because she was finally dedicating herself to what she was passionate about, then those guys would be there.

As I'm sure you're all aware, the media industry doesn't keep normal working hours - if something needs working on till 2:45 then you do it. That or lose your job to someone who will stay as late as it takes.

Oct 26th 2007

Well probably not usually, but since Pam, Dwight and Michael all stayed I don't see any reason why the crew wouldn't stick around.

The "Oh, D!" joke, with Dwight and Andy reminded me on rewatching of a somewhat similar joke in "Shopgirl."

Oct 26th 2007

So what is the real last line of the ad Andy can't remember? Obviously it's something I won't get to see.

Oct 26th 2007

This one was 10/03/07. That was just one week after the season premiere. They don't film much in advance.

Even though we don't, they consider this the ninth episode: four double episodes plus one single episode. That's why they consider this season a 30-episode order even though it will only air 25 times (the finale being the other two-parter.) Daniels has also remarked that the hour-longs were taking much longer and requiring much more work to put together, so that could have set them back. Still, I doubt the dates are accurate. That would seem easy to alter. And the more I think about it, it makes sense they'd front-load the season with episodes they could re-air later as half-hour repeat in the event of a writer's strike.

Oh, and having slept on it, I love this episode. Not an all-timer, but just great all around.

Oct 26th 2007

So what is the real last line of the ad Andy can't remember? Obviously it's something I won't get to see.

is this a joke? Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar!

Also, I do not at all think that Jim turning off Pam's work was out of character in the least. I think it was the Alliance where Jim just walked around Pam's desk, grabbed the phone out of her hand, hung it up, and started filling her in. Also, in Office Olympics, Pam says "I have 59 voice mails." And Jim says, "Yeah, can you ignore those, and do something for me instead?" (or something like that). Jim just isn't used to Pam actually caring about her job, and I think once he got to the parking lot, he realized just how important it was to her, and why she stayed late, and that's when he said he was proud of her. I don't see anything weird or upsetting about that at all. And Pam wasn't all broken-hearted about it either: "I want Philly Jim!" Sigh. Me too.

Oct 26th 2007

theres hope for dwight!

I was so happy to see Dwight smiling again!

How did Michael get Stanley to agree to that?

I thought that too! Stanley agreeing to wear an orange jumpsuit and pick up trash? But I guess we're to believe that he was just excited for the opportunity to be on TV. Kelly, on the other hand, I don't think she'd care about whether or not she is perpetuating her stereotype.

Favorite line was Angela saying she didn't like to be titillated.

I think that may have been my favorite, too.

Was anyone else (who didn't watch the DM ad ahead of time) really surprised that the ad wasn't that bad? I was expecting the usual Michael Scott disaster but it was actually kind of good. Of course, he did include "World's Most Creative Boss" so it was still very Michael-esque. But I was kind of proud of Michael.

Oct 26th 2007

I have to say I really loved this ep. I managed to watch it before coming to work this morning and now I can't wait to watch it again when I get home!

is this a joke? Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar!

I think you'll find Mixed Berries is from outside the US. As a fellow foreigner I had no idea either (although I still saw that it was funny in the ep).

Was anyone else (who didn't watch the DM ad ahead of time) really surprised that the ad wasn't that bad?

I didn't see the ad ahead of time, but yeah, I was surprised. And then I thought about it and really the ad gives a very true representation of the Scranton DM branch: despite Michael's hopelessly bad voiceover, the staff made it great.

Oct 26th 2007

I did really dig how they kept going with Andy's consternation about the Kit Kat Bar ad. That was kind of neat.
And I think Jim changing Pam's screen to the Second Life annoyed her, but not in any huge way, because she got so into the Jim Avatar.

Oct 26th 2007

Could someone explain to me how Jim changed Pam's screen to Second Life so quickly? Wouldn't that mean she had to be playing it herself or at least have it downloaded?

Oct 26th 2007 edited

I think you'll find Mixed Berries is from outside the US. As a fellow foreigner I had no idea either (although I still saw that it was funny in the ep).

Correct. And agreed.

Does anyone else read the "That's What She Said" blogs by Julie Elgar? Last week her proxy (she's still young enough to send her own proxies) blogged about the fact that nobody seems to be doing any work at Dunder Mifflin any more. This week's episode really backed that up. I don't know they find the time to sell any paper with all the extra activities that go on there. Perhaps Ryan should focus on that rather than blackberries and TV ads.

Could someone explain to me how Jim changed Pam's screen to Second Life so quickly? Wouldn't that mean she had to be playing it herself or at least have it downloaded?

I wondered the same. Unless they've set up some sort of network dealio so they can spy on Dwight (which doesn't seem all that unlikely) it doesn't make sense. Even if they had set something up, it's unlikely Jim could access it with a few quick key strokes.

Oct 26th 2007

Yeah, I always forget that things are so different. One thing I really miss from Australia are....I forget what they're called...musk sticks possibly? Amazingly yummy pink sticks. I want one now. MB will you mail me some?

Oct 26th 2007

Sure thing! What's your address? How many do you want?

Oct 26th 2007

nobody seems to be doing any work at Dunder Mifflin any more

Good point Mixed Berries. But then have they ever done much work? And with the DMI website selling all the paper for them, do they really have much to do anymore?

Also, I think this issue ties in quite well into Dwight's fall into the abyss. Even he is doing no work, he is SO depressed.

Oct 26th 2007

One thing I really miss from Australia are....

Cherry Ripes!

Oct 26th 2007

Wait, you don't have Cherry Ripes? Well, I've just decided I'm never moving to the US.

Oct 26th 2007

I think Jim assuming he could put aside whatever Pam's working on to will be come a bigger issue as he comes to terms with her actually caring about her work. That's a completely new, unexplored element. I like that it's interesting, based in reality, doesn't require them to break up and date other people and doesn't need to be (nor should it be) neatly resolved in a limited story arc. It could be a recurring theme that, as others here have speculated, could spur Jim's character development. Wow, I bet now that all these creative juices are flowing, the writers wish they could get a do-over on Season 3.

Oct 26th 2007

I'm in the UK Mixed Berries, as well you know. Despite having been born and bred in the very village where the Cadbury factory was founded (and still operates), I never tried a Cherry Ripe until I went to Australia with my Aussie boyfriend a couple of years ago. But god they are good!

Oct 26th 2007

I like that it's interesting, based in reality, doesn't require them to break up and date other people and doesn't need to be (nor should it be) neatly resolved in a limited story arc. It could be a recurring theme that, as others here have speculated, could spur Jim's character development.

That's what I wished I had said.

Oct 26th 2007

Sure thing! What's your address? How many do you want?

is this real, or are you talking in Second Life? :) i don't know how I would pay you back...

Oct 26th 2007

If you're serious, then I am too! You wouldn't have to pay me back, just knowing you're tasting the awesomeness of musk sticks if payment enough for me.

Oct 26th 2007

Hey Pamcasso, where's everyone gone? Since I'm in the UK, I look forward to all you USAers coming online around my lunchtime...

Oct 26th 2007

Maybe everyone's on their way to work. Speaking of that, I have to take the hubby to work and run errands, so, I'll be back later. I do love Mixed Berries...In fact, I'm in love with Mixed Berries...

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
91 to 120 of 308
Top of PageBack to discussions