Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.05 Local Ad
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
121 to 150 of 308
Oct 26th 2007

The guitar thing. I really think it's just a matter of the writers forgetting that there was a guitar in the background in Jim's room and not adding it to the given circumstances of Jim's character.

But we total geeks for the show remember it. Here's how I'm justifying it in my mind: Just because you own a guitar doesn't mean you know how to play it. Lots of people buy instruments with the intention of learning to play them but never really do. They either don't have the time or they lose interest. They learn how to play the riff from "Smoke On The Water" and don't get much farther. OR! Maybe it's a family heirloom.

OR! How about this? He knew he was going to be showing off his room to Pam during the BBQ so he borrowed his roomie's guitar for coolness points.

I really don't see the troubled waters between Jim and Pam that others see. Pam seemed annoyed that Jim interrupted her work but it was for an update on the Dwight and Angela, which they have a vested interest in. Sometimes the one you love annoys the hell out of you. Jim wouldn't have done it if he didn't know Pam would be interested in Dwight's plight. In every other circumstance he was totally supportive of Pam's endeavors, including the ultimate sacrifice of getting a ride home from Meredith.

Just think...if Pam drove to work with Jim, they were probably leaving from his or her place. Which means...sigh...boinkenberry JAM the previous night.

Oct 26th 2007

Musk sticks sound disgusting!

From Wikipedia...

Musk is the name originally given to a substance with a penetrating odor obtained from a gland of the male musk deer, which is situated between its stomach and genitals.

Oct 26th 2007

I do love Mixed Berries...In fact, I'm in love with Mixed Berries...

Stop, you're making me blush :)

Musk sticks sound disgusting!

Well when you put it like that, then yes, is does sound disgusting. But believe me, musk sticks are anything but disgusting!

Oct 26th 2007

What was the ending ten seconds of this show? I watched it, forgot it, and my DVR didn't tape that far. Now I can't remember what it was! I feel like Andy not remembering Kit Kats.

Kevin's Koolaid face was hilarious. So was Creed's air guitar. And Jim's line about Second Life: "Oh, there are definitely losers".

Oct 26th 2007 edited

Sometimes the one you love annoys the hell out of you.

Or as Christmas Eve from Avenue Q puts it, "The more you love someone, the more you want to kill them. Loving and killing fit like hand in glove."

Oct 26th 2007

Just when I thought everyone had left me alone here in England, some more of you USAers join the chat!

The whole guitar thing has really surprised me. In the ep, I took Jim's reaction to Pam's question 'I didn't know you played the guitar?' to mean that he doesn't know how to play the guitar and (combined with Pam's reaction to his alternative Seciond Life self) suddenly felt inadequate and insecure. But no one else seems to have thought this...

Just think...if Pam drove to work with Jim, they were probably leaving from his or her place. Which means...sigh...boinkenberry JAM the previous night.

Exactly my thoughts too. TMI.

Oct 26th 2007

I feel like Andy not remembering Kit Kats.

Appropriate, since that was the last 10 seconds of the show... "Fancy Feast!! It's cat food."

Oct 26th 2007

Jim's line about Second Life: "Oh, there are definitely losers".

This doesn't fit though - since we find out later that Jim is on Second Life too...

Oct 26th 2007

I totally buy the idea of owning a guitar and never playing it. That's been me for about 10 years. But I don't buy the writers forgetting it. If we obsess on details, it's literally their lives. Plus, they're aware of our obsessions. I think it sends the message that they still have things to learn about each other, particularly Pam about Jim's dreams. He's a pretty giving guy. I don't imagine he puts much energy into talking about himself and what he wants and likes, especially to Pam. He's spent years focusing on what makes her happy.

Oct 26th 2007

This doesn't fit though - since we find out later that Jim is on Second Life too...

But he was just doing it to track Dwight, as he said. And when Pam realized that Jim had spent more than two seconds creating his character, he felt like a loser too.

Oct 26th 2007

I don't know but I'm not as concerned as some of you are about Jim and Pam....Maybe my mind is just not letting me see it like that because I want them to be happy.

Me, too. Even when he switched her screen, it didn't seem like he was being dismissive about her work or making her feel guilty for spending time on it or acting like it wasn't important or deleting her animation or pouting because she wasn't spending time with him. I just took it as him wanting to get his forever co-conspirator, Pam, in on the Second Life thing with Dwight, and he was excited to show her the game. It didn't seem like a big deal to me.

Oct 26th 2007

when Pam realized that Jim had spent more than two seconds creating his character, he felt like a loser too.

Agreed. Nicely observed, Jinx.

Oct 26th 2007

In the ep, I took Jim's reaction to Pam's question 'I didn't know you played the guitar?' to mean that he doesn't know how to play the guitar and (combined with Pam's reaction to his alternative Seciond Life self) suddenly felt inadequate and insecure.

I felt this way as well, and not just about the guitar, but about the "sports writer" occupation and the fact that Jim spent so much time making his avatar look like him. He wasn't just goofing off in Second Second Life.

Oct 26th 2007

In every other circumstance he was totally supportive of Pam's endeavors, including the ultimate sacrifice of getting a ride home from Meredith.

Yes. And the way he pointed out to the waiter at Poor Richard's that Pam was the one who did the animation on the commercial. That's just one of many examples, too. He's proud of her and very supportive...I'd be really surprised if anything develops of the "Jim is threatened by Pam's art career" angle, except to the extent that he's insecure about their relationship in general. It took them a long time before they were finally together. I'd bet he's afraid of losing that. I would be.

Oct 26th 2007

It's so funny we're all obsessing about the guitar: I know that was my first thought when Pam said she didn't know he played it. We're not obsessed with the show. At all.
Michael's commercial was pretty good. I'd buy paper from them. There could have been more waving, though.
Did anyone else think David and Ryan were going to make Michael hold up his end of the bargain and pay for the ad guys to come back?

Oct 26th 2007

As much as I want to imagine that that's the case, I think she could just as easily swung by his place to pick him up before work. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

I like the idea of getting a glimpse of Jim's dreams (playing guitar, becoming a sports writer) through his Second Second Life avatar. How about this for an explanation for the guitar:

Jim doesn't have it anymore. He sold it or gave it away when he moved to Stamford. His desire to rock and/or roll died with his hopes of getting Pam.

Pam (as far as we know) was only in his room that once and it was a long time ago so it's possible that she forgot he had a guitar. Now that he's got Pam, Jim's other dreams seem possible again so he's interested in the guitar again.

Yes? No?

ETA: I just had an idea for a sappy "Awwww!" moment. Pam buys Jim a new guitar for Christmas.

Oct 26th 2007

No on the guitar theory. I'm sticking with my own theory above:

I took Jim's reaction to Pam's question 'I didn't know you played the guitar?' to mean that he doesn't know how to play the guitar and suddenly felt inadequate and insecure.

Oct 26th 2007

Pam (as far as we know) was only in his room that once and it was a long time ago so it's possible that she forgot he had a guitar. Now that he's got Pam, Jim's other dreams seem possible again so he's interested in the guitar again.

Yes? No?

I could totally see it. She was sitting in the bedroom of the guy she was interested in (I'm guessing, by then, this was the case, especially based on what she said on the rooftop recently). Maybe she was thinking of other things while she was sitting on the bed.

ETA: I just had an idea for a sappy "Awwww!" moment. Pam buys Jim a new guitar for Christmas.

I love it! They could have a total Gift of the Magi plot going: Pam sells her art easel so that she can get enough money to buy Jim a guitar, only to find out that Jim sold the amp that he would need to play said guitar so that he could get enough money to buy Pam some special oil pastels to use with her art easel. Awww....

Oct 26th 2007

No, not Gift of the Magi! That story upsets me more than it should :-(

Oct 26th 2007

Can I just ask, as a Brit who waits till her lunchtime on Fridays to see all the USAers come online because of the time difference...what are you all (supposed to be) doing? I'm at work...

Oct 26th 2007

I am supposed to be cleaning the house and making some hairbows. My son is at school and my daughter is curled up on the couch because she got 4 vaccinations at her check up yesterday and is feeling a little sore and sick (nothing a little Wonder Pets and some caramel pudding can't fix). I have become a Master Procrastinator, and NA is enabling me in that way.

Oct 26th 2007

I'm at work, but there's not a whole lot to do, so I'm streeetching it out.

Oct 26th 2007 edited
Oct 26th 2007

I'm in a conference room meeting at the moment. My boss is not as funny as Michael Scott but he doesn't try to be. I usually am sitting at my PC programming so it's easy to hop on NA. My boss doesn't really care because I get all my work done and he's on ESPN.com half the day anyways.

Oct 26th 2007

Amazingly yummy pink sticks. I want one now. MB will you mail me some?

I don't know about pink sticks, but I just got me some vegemite. You know how in the restaurants they put jam in those little plastic things and you pull off the foil top to get some? Well, in Australia that's what they do with vegemite. My friends that just got back from Australia brought me some. They got off pretty easy without spending a dime on my gift, and I have some nasty vegemite in my pantry.

Oct 26th 2007

Friday's my Saturday. My little guy's in my lap because he got bored playing on the floor. And apparently getting up at 6 a.m. doesn't guarantee he'll go down for a nap. Meanwhile, I still haven't had breakfast because I hoped to hop on the treadmill while he slept. Now I'm hungry, he's wide awake and it's almost lunchtime.

Oct 26th 2007

I'm supposed to be doing my year-end self-evaluation at work that will help determine the raise I get. Instead I'm on here. I relate to Jim in many ways.

Anyway, I said initially I really liked the episode and as I go over it in my head and remember things, I like it even more. Without being able to explain exactly why, the humor used in this episode really appealed to me. It reminded me a lot of Safety Training in that regard, another episode that I liked more than most people seemed to (and was also written by B.J. Novak).

A couple more things I enjoyed - the ad guys telling Michael the last 5 seconds of the ad was the time for them to be creative, and Kelly's dancing during Darryl's song.

Didn't Michael's ad say at the end that they were hiring? Wonder if that will figure into an episode later on. I'd love to see Michael interviewing people.

A very slight nitpick I do have is that Dwight doesn't seem like he'd spend work time playing games since he's Mr. Company Man.

Michael's commercial is already one of my very favorite moments in Office history. Lazy Scranton was great, but this was a hundred times better. What I loved the most was that every single person was happy afterwards. Has that ever happened, an epsiode ending with everyone happy and no angst?

Oct 26th 2007

(and was also written by B.J. Novak).

I liked Ryan as the straightforward corporate prick last night rather than the cartoonish buzzword-dropper. I wonder if that reflects who's doing the writing.

Oct 26th 2007

A very slight nitpick I do have is that Dwight doesn't seem like he'd spend work time playing games since he's Mr. Company Man.

I took this to be yet another symptom of Dwight's depression...

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
121 to 150 of 308
Top of PageBack to discussions