Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.05 Local Ad
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. >
151 to 180 of 308
Oct 26th 2007 edited

I remember two times when Jim did the same sort of thing to Pam when she was busy at work.

1. He hung up the phone when she was on it and told her to stop what she's doing to watch Dwight buy a purse from the Hot Girl, Katey.

2. In Office Olypics after they had participated in the games all day, Pam was trying to listen to all of the messages from the phone calls she missed, and Jim asks her to ignore them and she promptly hangs up her phone so he could talk to her about the closing ceremonies.

Oct 26th 2007

A very slight nitpick I do have is that Dwight doesn't seem like he'd spend work time playing games since he's Mr. Company Man.

We have seen Dwight do this in the past though. In The Carpet Dwight kept trying to call into the radio station to be the 107th caller. In Money he was taking reservations to Schrute Beet Farms B&B while at work, even while chastizing Pam for making personal phone calls on company time.

Yes, he (or the writers) seems to flip flop between "Company Man" and "Slacking on the job Man". So, catch 22.

Question: was the Advertising guy with the glasses the same guy that's in a bunch of Sprint or Nextel commercials?

Oct 26th 2007

A very slight nitpick I do have is that Dwight doesn't seem like he'd spend work time playing games since he's Mr. Company Man.

I took this to be yet another symptom of Dwight's depression...

Good point.

The difference between the two times TO pointed out and last night was that the previous times Pam was doing mundane Dunder-Mifflin work that she doesn't like to do. Last night she was doing something she enjoyed and was important to her. I didn't see it as Jim deliberately being a jerk, but cluelessly being a bit insensitive and perhaps showing he doesn't know her as well as we thought he might. His line about the commercial "no one will see" fell in the same category.

Like I said before, not anything that will break them up, just showing they still have a lot to learn about each other. Good conflict, not bad. A Pam and Jim Decide What They Want To Be When They Grow Up story line that plays out over the course of the season really appeals to me. I hope the writers persue it.

Oct 26th 2007

I remember two times when Jim did the same sort of thing to Pam when she was busy at work.

I was thinking of those, too, TO. Both were before they were dating and both were co-conspirator kinds of situations. They definitely have a history of working together like that, which is why I don't think the work interruptions were ever meant to be anything but fun.

Oct 26th 2007

His line about the commercial "no one will see" fell in the same category.

I took that to be more of a slam against Michael, but I can see what you mean.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

AMJ has a good point about the differences with the previous interruptions and this one. Pam never seemed to mind before. Even this time she tolerated the interruption pretty well, but you can tell that she definitely didn't welcome it.

Oct 26th 2007

I'm with you AMJ. I think the situation was very different from past times he interrupted her. Before he was doing her a favor; this time he was being kind of clueless. I also agree it isn't the seed of a major rift, just fodder for exploring their relationship.

Oct 26th 2007

I love this conflict with Jim and Pam. It's not contrived at all, and it's great fodder for an extended storyline, and it's brave of the writers to write 'real' relationship issues into a story without necessarily making it a 'will they stay together' issue. Because that's honestly not how I see it.

I think this is the season of Jim and Dwight. I'd like to think that the moment they had on the stairwell sharing stories of heartbreak wasn't the last we'll see of them coming to an understanding of each other.

I agree that Jim is visibly, painfully insecure about his relationship with Pam - and it's only been a few months. If you've suffered and wanted a single solitary thing for so long, when you finally have it, you are terrified that it'll fall apart. I think Jim is clearly supportive of Pam, but he's going to worry himself with the idea that maybe he loves her more than she loves him. If she's too good for him because he doesn't know what he wants out of life in general and she does. If she'll leave him behind, evolve into someone who decides she doesn't want him anymore because he's holding her back. All these things have the potential to destroy relationships weaker than Jim and Pam's - but they have a strong foundation, and I think this will end up being (when all is said and done) a very poignant study of how love should be.

I personally loved the commercial, by the way. ;)

Oct 26th 2007

It's amazing how we can take an episode that really had quite a dearth of Jam and still make it the central focus of our discussion, finding all these layers that were probably never intended. I feel like I'm in advanced placement English all over again.

Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. It's just interesting.

Oct 26th 2007

Just jumping in, since all my good points have already been made... :)

I nearly fell off the couch laughing while Andy was struggling with the end of the Kit Kat jingle and when people tried to help, Jim just jumped in and took over and they all quieted down. I think the whole office kinda likes to be part of Jim's pranks when they can. Well, plus Andy annoys the bejeez out of most of them too.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

Michael is working his butt off this season. He has driven around the county in a futile attempt to win old customers back with gift baskets. He took a second job in order to handle his growing debt and only quit when faced with the threat of termination from Dunder-Mifflin. Now he has spent all night working on an ad. (An ad with pretty amazing production values for something thrown together in less than 24 hours. Perhaps he is not so delusional about his skill set.) He may not be getting the results he wants, and his efforts may often be misguided, but his work ethic is far removed from anything David Brent did in Slough.

Pam willingly worked hard in this episode as well. Dwight didn't, but his efforts against the Dunder Mifflin Infinity website earlier in the season should earn him another Salesman of the Month award or two. Hell, even Creed contributed to Darryl's jingle, marking the only instance I can recall where Creed's time in the office was spent doing something that might actually benefit the company. Perhaps Season 4 is the year when the Scranton branch employees buckle down and works their tails off.

Oct 26th 2007

very poignant study of how love should be.

Such a great point. It is a good thing that that's the B-plot of the show though? Aren't we supposed to take that as being the point of this whole mockumentary?

Oct 26th 2007

The 10 day break -- did Corporate never watch the commercial and couldn't be bothered to get back to Michael? Or did they actually mull over it for a while before deciding to go with the awful 'professional' one? Because I thought Michael's was pretty freaking good, actually!

Sorry, haven't re-watched the ep again to ponder it.

I am also in the approval camp for the less than perfect depiction of JAM's relationship. It reminded me of my college days -- maybe their relationship is so strongly based on Dunder Mifflin -- the one thing they have in common -- that outside of that, maybe they still don't know each other so well. After I left college, I realized the only reason I was friends with some people was only that we had a shared experience in school. I feel the strife in the relationship keeps it interesting...

Oct 26th 2007

The 10 day break -- did Corporate never watch the commercial and couldn't be bothered to get back to Michael? Or did they actually mull over it for a while before deciding to go with the awful 'professional' one?

Michael knew that they wern't airing his commerical as he was walking into Poor Richard's, so I assume he was contacted a while ago, and they just have the talking head there for convenience.

Oct 26th 2007

I doubt they watched it, David Wallace probably told him to make his own just to shut him up. They were always going to the professional one, which I agree was awful.

I was fully expecting Michael to try to get Pam to be the "hot chick" in the ad and make inappropriate comments about what she should wear in it. So I was surprised when that didn't happen. She wasn't even in his commercial at all, except for her arm in the beginning. She actually got more screen time in the professional one, doing her cute wave that was reminiscent of Phyllis' Wedding.

Oct 26th 2007

Well the original ad crew didn't film them waving at the end, so didn't Corporate have to come back and tell them to do that for the commercial they planned to air?

Oct 26th 2007

AMJ, check out the deleted scene on nbc.com...

Oct 26th 2007 edited

Pam's taking classes!!!! YES!

And Dwight's coming out of his slump. Why is it so hard to see any of them sad?

I love Darryl. I'm SO glad he's getting more attention this season. Craig Robinson is mega-talented

Oct 26th 2007

Too bad he can't rap, or even know what it is. Why is he so ignorant of his culture?

Oct 26th 2007

Has that ever happened, an epsiode ending with everyone happy and no angst?

Maybe the calm before a perfect storm of some sort? Seemed too good to be true.

Pam was doing mundane Dunder-Mifflin work that she doesn't like to do. Last night she was doing something she enjoyed and was important to her.

Jim's so used to her wanting an out to her work, that maybe he really hasn't made the connection that she's bringing her creative passion into the company. Maybe he envisions her more of doing her art completely independent of D-M, instead of what she's doing - looking for an opportunity to bring her new talents into her existing job, until she can figure out how to do art/graphic design full-time. I think Jim probably esteems her so much that he can't imagine why she'd put so much effort into something that promotes such a dysfunctional company. It seems like Jim gets creative as a result of attempting to remove himself from the office, whereas Pam is starting to bring her talents from the outside in to - dare I say - improve the D-M dynamic. I mean, look at her painting of the office building and the stapler. She could've picked other subjects. Plus, Jim's "shared" her with the office enough - now that they spend after-hours together, he doesn't want that time jeopardized too.

I'm more intrigued by the motorcycle ride offer at Poor Richard's. I can see this as foreshadowing to Pam wanting to try something new, and Jim being a lot more hesitant, because now that things are good, he doesn't want anything to change. What if Pam decides she wants to join the Peace Corps? How the writers get them to compromise on some of these big life issues will be interesting, and I agree that there's a really good opportunity show how situations like these can be handled in a creative and positive manner. At least, that is my wish - this is such a noble relationship, and I personally would love to see it set on a pedestal through Jam's legitimate and realistic respect for one another, humility and unconditional love.

I want more Cree-Kel-And-Dar-Kev musical collaborations. LOVED that.

Oct 26th 2007

This morning, I paused the show during Kev's Kool-Aid Man face and I could not stop laughing. I wonder if this is something that Brian Baumgartner had done on set some other time and they added it in or if the writers actually just imagined that he woul dbe good doing that. Either way, it was great.

Also Emmyjean, I loved that you said this:

but they have a strong foundation, and I think this will end up being (when all is said and done) a very poignant study of how love should be.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

AMJ, check out the deleted scene on nbc.com...

Dang, it's not working on my work computer.

Impressionist, you made some really good points in your first paragraph. Hopefully now Jim has made the connection that she can use her creative outlets at DM. Really, that's the ideal situation. It would be difficult for her to get hired on somewhere at a creative job with no degree and experience. So she becomes Uber Receptionist and helps out with design on the side. That gives her a portfolio she can show people if she does eventually want to leave.

It cracked me up when Darryl took his Casio and left because Michael didn't like his song. Reminded me of a little kid taking his ball and going home.

Oct 26th 2007

I've seen Craig Robinson do stand-up, a good deal of which was actually him singing songs and playing the keyboard. It was nice to see them incorporate his real life talents into the show.

Oct 26th 2007

a very poignant study of how love should be

Friggin Emmyjean. I write 10,000 words on here, and she waltzes in and says it better in nine.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

I've seen Craig Robinson do stand-up, a good deal of which was actually him singing songs and playing the keyboard. It was nice to see them incorporate his real life talents into the show.

Yes, CZJ. Didn't that second jingle remind you of the little song he sings during his act. I was totally expecting him to sing take your panties off into the jingle.

Oct 26th 2007

Take Your Panties Off! That was a good one.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

But I don't buy the writers forgetting it. If we obsess on details, it's literally their lives.

Okay, I'm sorry to come back to harp on this, but of course they forgot it. They forget their own continuity all the time. See: Did Michael go to college? See: Where is the bathroom at Schrute Farms? See: What is Kelly Kapoor like? Those are things they actually wrote. The guitar was a teeny-tiny piece of set dressing. It barely even counts as something that was on the show. From what I've read about the people involved in television, they don't really have time to sit around and watch their own show. If they're anything like me, they wouldn't want to, anyway.

As someone who has spent the last two years writing a novel, I can attest to the fact that it's very easy to forget something you wrote two years ago. The odds that they remember what exactly was in Jim's room strike me as minimal, and besides, if they did, they've always been perfectly willing to ignore continuity if it got a laugh or gave us a revealing character moment. I don't think Jim plays the guitar. His reaction to Pam's question was pretty clearly embarassment. If your girlfriend of several months asked you if you played guitar, and you actually did, wouldn't your response be, "How did you not know that?", as opposed to what Jim's reaction was? I know mine would.

Oct 26th 2007 edited

Fair point, though it doesn't account for obsessive compulsive writers who can't see the forest for all the details they remember. That said, in Business School Michael says the campus is exactly how he hoped to remember college if he went, or some such nonsense where the point was he never went. And that's continuous with The Fire where he blew his tuition on a pyramid scheme and ended up attending the school of hard knocks. Is there another reference to him going to college? Kelly Kapoor wasn't about forgetting as much as changing their minds about the character. I'll give you the bathroom at Schrute Farms, though its conceivable you'd get tired of climbing under the porch and just build an outhouse (or perhaps indoor plumbing).

eta: the quote from Business School was "Campus, brings back so many memories...that I would have made."

Oct 26th 2007

I feel like I remember Michael making some reference to "when I was in college . . ." at some point in the first or second season, though that could just have been his insecurities asserting themselves. I'll give you Kelly, but I feel like there are lots of other examples of continuity forgotten or ignored that I'm just not remembering at the moment. Most of them have to do with minor characters, I'm sure . . .

Oct 26th 2007 edited

Michael did say he went to college in Email Surveillance when he eats cup o noodles with everyone but I only thought he said that because he wanted to be invited to Jim's party. I never took it as Michael actually having gone to college.

eta the actual quote: Hot, tasty. Reminds me of college. Lived on this stuff. Brain food. Mmmm... You know what I really, really miss about college? The parties. Everybody'd go. The athletes, the, the nerds, professors.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. >
151 to 180 of 308