Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.05 Local Ad
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. >
181 to 210 of 308
Oct 26th 2007

I liked this ep, even if it fell a little short with expectations (Michael's ad was so much better than the corporate-approved, something I didn't see coming). There was a lot to sink your teeth into with the relationships angle (Jim's unease, Dwight's small victory in Angela's "D"-call), but I thought for sure that the ad wouldn't come through. I guess it just goes to show that, when you least expect it, people can surprise you. Even fictional characters.

The angst on Jim's face when Pam uncovers his "Second Life" character is a nice reminder of when he had to stare at the camera to hide his unease around her and Roy. Now that he's with her, I do agree that he's unwelcome to change. It's not necessarily a bad thing (i.e., I don't think Jim will suddenly become one of those guys in the Lifetime Original movies who try to keep their wives or girlfriends away from everything they want to do), but it shows his flaws. Change is the only constant, so maybe Jim needs to learn that in order to keep Pam by his side. Hell, what guy wouldn't feel a little insecure now that this great person is in his life in a much deeper way than before?

Oct 26th 2007

Friggin Emmyjean. I write 10,000 words on here, and she waltzes in and says it better in nine.

Not so, Brian. Not so. ;)

I just watched the commercial unveiling again, and the thing I love most about it is (as someone said before, I believe, on this thread) is that everyone was into it. I mean, Stanley was even participating/enjoying himself. And frankly, I think it was a great commercial - some editing and it might have been ok'ed by the corporate folks - except that I suspect Ryan wouldn't have aired it even if it was Superbowl-commercial quality.

Actually, the only things I would have changed would have been the messages on Dwight's and Michael's papers. Other than that, it was great! I was very proud of Michael!

Oct 26th 2007

I loved Dwight's message on the paper. I thought it was funny. I also loved that we could see the string that was pulling the paper.

Oct 26th 2007

I loved Dwight's message on the paper. I thought it was funny.

Oh, it was hilarious - I'm just saying, that's what I'd edit if I was in charge of making sure it got aired on TV. It was a little too out there. ;)

Oct 26th 2007 edited

In addition to just being funny in general, it was funny because of how old Phyllis would really have to be to be Dwight's mom and all the age-related jokes at Phyllis' expense in the past.

Oct 26th 2007

I love how proud Dwight looked of himself. And I love that Stanley is still wearing his tie under that orange jumpsuit.

Oct 26th 2007

Oh, it was hilarious - I'm just saying, that's what I'd edit if I was in charge of making sure it got aired on TV. It was a little too out there. ;)

Ah, I gotcha. Can you imagine if a real commercial did have that in it though? People sure would be talking about it.

Oct 26th 2007

Two things. I loved the Michael Scott Director's cut of the commercial. I even thought the voiceover was good.

And "Hey Shrek! I'm a Donkey Shrek! I'm a donkey!"

Oct 26th 2007

Guys, the commercial was good, but are you forgetting the end:

Limitless paper for a paperless world.

read that three times, slowly.

Oct 26th 2007

RE: Michael and college.

In The Secret, he says "Yeah, I rushed a few fraternities, but you know what? I don't believe in paying for friendships. So, I made a decision not to accept any offers. And fortunately none were made."

If he was lying about going to college (as he was in Email Surveillance), why would he make up a story that makes him look bad? I think the writers simply forgot.

I remember in an interview, somebody (Mindy?) said that Greg Daniels intentionally didn't come up with a detailed background on the characters, to allow for flexibility in story lines. The downside is that inconsistencies like this creep in.

Oct 26th 2007

That's a definite inconsistency on the college question, and no doubt continuity problems plague almost every show. That said, if I had to guess, I'd say the canon would have to lean toward him not going to college. The professors going to parties story is just ludicrous and more likely to come from someone unfamiliar with college life. That fraternities story, though, is just so authentic to who he is. They crapped the bed there. Maybe he started college, rushed a few fraternities, didn't get into any, then got kicked out soon after when he blew his tuition money on the pyramid scheme. It's circumstantial, but it fits.

Oct 26th 2007

I like the way Jim looked in the shirt that he wore to Poor Richards. Has he worn that color before?

Oct 26th 2007 edited

In The Secret, he says "Yeah, I rushed a few fraternities, but you know what? I don't believe in paying for friendships. So, I made a decision not to accept any offers. And fortunately none were made."

Was this a deleted scene? Because The Secret is my favorite episode, I almost have it memorized, and I don't remember that.

I always figured he didn't go. The E-Mail Surveillance thing was a pitiful attempt to get invited to Jim's party, plus there was the Business School line about the experiences he would have had if he went. Plus I just feel like he wouldn't have gone, like I feel like Jim started before Pam.

Oct 27th 2007

Trivia: While filming Andy's scene for the commercial, Michael says "triumph of the will" - which is the title of Leni Riefenstahl's notorious propaganda film about the 1934 Nazi Party Congress. I love it when the writers slip stuff like this in.

Oct 27th 2007

I feel like this was a case of Michael actually outdoing the corporate hacks. The commercial that they wanted (with just an insert from each branch at the end of what looked like a ridiculously done generic commerical) was...well, I just said it in the parenthesis. But you get my drift.

I think the real rift between Michael and Corporate shows that, once again, Ryan isn't any good at sales. He wants this commerical to "sell" the company, but he doesn't understand how to achieve that. Michael, on the other hand, is a damn good salesman (if not so good as a boss). I smell trouble brewing for both Ryan and Michael as the season goes on.

Oct 27th 2007

I loved this episode, and laughed out loud several times before the commercial, and then basically through the entire commercial.

Regarding the Jim/Pam annoyance computer thing: I can see Pam becoming more of a Karen figure to Jim. Not a girl who actively tries to change him, but remember that scene where Jim wants Karen to help him prank Dwight and she is so busy doing two jobs (Dwight's and her own) that she snaps at him? Pam said no to Jim's interruption, and although she wasn't that mad about it-if at all--this time, it could become a problem for her.

I don't think Jim knows how to play the guitar. I do think that's exactly why he got embarrassed.

I am trying to think of what watching the people watching their commercial reminded me of. Waiting for Guffman? And of course Kelly was thrilled to be the stereotypical Indian because she got to wear a fancy dress and makeup.

Dunder Mifflin: A People Person's Paper People!

Oct 27th 2007

I smell trouble brewing for both Ryan and Michael as the season goes on.

My prediction is Michael saves his ass down the road and is shown to be the better -- if functionally demented -- man.

Oct 27th 2007

Regarding the Jim/Pam annoyance computer thing: I can see Pam becoming more of a Karen figure to Jim. Not a girl who actively tries to change him, but remember that scene where Jim wants Karen to help him prank Dwight and she is so busy doing two jobs (Dwight's and her own) that she snaps at him? Pam said no to Jim's interruption, and although she wasn't that mad about it-if at all--this time, it could become a problem for her.

She's changing and he's not, and he's threatened by that (if she changes so much, will she still need him?). Of course, Big Dumb Jim doesn't realize that she was motivated to do so by him and by her own unhappiness at being the same as when she was with Roy. She's getting to be independent, but that doesn't mean she has to tear away from him.

Oct 27th 2007

Can anybody lipread what Kevin and Kelly's suggestions were in the cold open?

Oct 27th 2007

I know I'm ringing in late on this, but the whole thing about creating another persona online is that you try to make yourself seem as cool as possible. You become the ultimate wannabe. You give yourself a cooler job, you give yourself a cooler body and you add a little accoutrement, if you will, to make yourself seem like you have a cool hobby. Which works just fine. Unless your real-life girlfriend, who knows you can't play the guitar, sees it. Then you just look like a bit of a loser. Which is why I think she was ribbing him, and he was embarrassed. Someone said it here earlier. There are a lot of guitar owners who don't play the guitar. It takes a lot of focus and dedication, which (even though he is perfect in every way!) we all know aren't Jim's strong suits.

That said, I liked the episode (I cried with laughter at the titillated line and found myself clutching my heart while Andy was talking about getting to first base with Angela.) It was a little more low key, it was over WAY too quickly but I loved seeing Daryll, Creed, Kevin, Kelly and Andy singing. They were awesome.

That is all.

Oct 27th 2007

Noticed the episode was directed by Jason Reitman. Son of Ivan Reitman, who was the director of Stripes, Meatballs, Ghostbusters, and many others. Jason directed Thank You for Smoking and the upcoming Juno, which stars Rainn Wilson. Didn't see any big differences in directing style, just thought it was interesting.

Oct 27th 2007

I know I'm ringing in late on this, but the whole thing about creating another persona online is that you try to make yourself seem as cool as possible. You become the ultimate wannabe. You give yourself a cooler job, you give yourself a cooler body and you add a little accoutrement, if you will, to make yourself seem like you have a cool hobby.

What? I have no idea what you're talking about. Speak for yourself maybe, but I would never do that.

annnnnnnyways, I better go. I have to pick up my Maserati at the garage on the way to my sky diving class. I pulled my triceps in my fourth hour of working out yesterday, so I hope that doesn't impede my jump. Hopefully Monica doesn't mind. Monica Bellucci. I'm giving her personal lessons. She's so amazing. Such a strong spirit.

Oct 28th 2007

I was really pleased by the stairwell scene between Dwight and Jim. It was smart to have Jim leave before Vulnerable Dwight could hug him. That hug would change the dynamic of their relationship. I probably couldn't stand it if they became actual friends. I am looking forward to seeing Dwight win Angela back. Jim and Pam are already on team Dwight. Remember back to "The Secret," Oscar owes Dwight a favor redeemable at any time. I think it will be interesting to see the battle for Angela.

Oct 28th 2007

I better go. I have to pick up my Maserati at the garage on the way to my sky diving class. I pulled my triceps in my fourth hour of working out yesterday, so I hope that doesn't impede my jump. Hopefully Monica doesn't mind. Monica Bellucci. I'm giving her personal lessons. She's so amazing. Such a strong spirit.

That's so weird, because we have another Daoust here, and I think he's a teacher at an alternative school; I'm pretty sure I heard he has two kids and a wife. Hmmm. Maybe his name is really Dauost. If not, I need to look more closely at returning to teaching. If it will buy a sports car, maybe becoming a teacher at an alternative school is the way to go.

Oct 28th 2007

I just use that whole blue collar average joe story to fit in with all you John Q. Public's and Sally Homemakers.

Really my life is so great, that I decided to have a second life as a middle aged, married father of two with an average job and an unhealthy obsession with an admittedly hilarious NBC sitcom.

Oct 28th 2007

So what's your second second life?

Oct 29th 2007

Favorite moment I haven't seen mentioned was Michael telling the filmmakers the accountants came in all different sizes.

There was either a lot of symbolism in the last part of Michael's commercial, or I'm totally over analyzing things. Stanley gives the piece of paper to Jim that says "Turn your life around. Now hiring at Dunder Mifflin." and Jim crumples it up and throws it away. Symbolizing Jim throwing away the chance at the corporate job? Or Jim turning his life around when he didn't take the corporate job and came back to start a relationship with Pam? Then the voiceover of Michael saying "We all deserve a second chance to score" while Jim & Pam were on camera. Jim & Pam got a second chance, and are now together. And they are scoring. With each other.

Feel free to laugh at me if I'm over analyzing. It's not like I've never done it before.

Oct 29th 2007

Then the voiceover of Michael saying "We all deserve a second chance to score" while Jim & Pam were on camera.

I caught that, myself, but didn't see any importance in Jim's throwing away the hiring notice.

Oct 29th 2007

It caught my eye. I thought it was interesting, too, but from the angle of him making a basket after making himself a sports writer in Second Life.

Oct 29th 2007

I'm gonna step in here as a voice of reason in Jim's defense.

Pam was really in the "Can't talk. Animating." kind of mode... like, obsessively. So he was like "For your mental health, let me remove your hands from the keyboard gently and show you some Dwight-based hilarity."

I don't think there was insensitivity or jerkishness at all in his action. She had obviously been slaving away at that animation for awhile, and he was just giving her some relief and helping her take a break, because she obviously wasn't going to do it herself.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11