Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.06 Branch Wars
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 16
  12. >
91 to 120 of 460
Nov 1st 2007

I saw Frank McCourt speak at a literary event here in 1998. It was fun - he is so much funnier than what I assumed he'd be, givenhow dark and tragic part of Angela's Ashes is. Or so I've heard. I've never been able to get through the book. But the author was very funny. Who would've thought?

Nov 1st 2007

I don't understand why he couldn't just tell Karen "Listen, you KNOW how Michael and Dwight are. I had no idea about the prank when I got into the car. I put on the costume to prevent Dwight from blowing up anything..." etc etc.

You do have a point there. Although, she was being sort of nasty to him at the time, and maybe he felt like "whatever, bitch. I like these two buffoons better than you anyway and you don't deserve an explanation."

Oh wait, maybe that was me feeling that.

Nov 1st 2007

I don't understand why he couldn't just tell Karen "Listen, you KNOW how Michael and Dwight are. I had no idea about the prank when I got into the car. I put on the costume to prevent Dwight from blowing up anything..." etc etc.

Perhaps it was just him being nervous: he clearly was, and when Michael and Dwight left Karen's office, and Jim started speaking, clearly there was a foundation to that nervousness.

Nov 1st 2007

If Jim feels a sense of obligation to protect Dwight, I really like how that's going toward re-building that competitive/contentious work "friendship" that they used to have going in Season 1 and Season 2. I felt bad for Jim because he looked to panicked in the car when he found out where they were going, like he was thinking, "Oh, my God, I don't want to see Karen at all, and Pam will be so pissed when she hears about this, and I need to get out of here now!" That's what I would have been thinking. I wouldn't have gotten back into the car. Even a sense of responsibility to make sure Dwight didn't blind anyone wouldn't have made me feel obligated to get back into the car.

Nov 1st 2007

It's early, but it's still worthwhile mentioning that Pam's sweater puppies were barking, and I was hearing them loud and clear.

Also, this episode was very middle ground for me. Very not awesome, very not awful. I'm sorry to be a Mr. Negative Pants.

Nov 1st 2007

Well...at least Karen didn't show up pregnant with Jim's baby. And there's no love lost between them. That's two things it has going for it right there. Even if the rest of the episode wasn't up to par, those two things are huge and pretty much redeemed it, for me. Looks like we were anxious about Karen's "return" for nothing. Hurray!

Nov 1st 2007

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but sometimes I really want to smack Phyllis across the face. Especially when she is acting dejected or sort of pouty or whatever.

Nov 1st 2007

"Someone has to clean that one because it smells like popcorn."

SMACK!

Do you feel better now, Pate? I feel your pain. If you're a bad person, then so am I, because I feel that, too. The more I get to know about her, the less I like her. Ditto for Toby.

Nov 1st 2007

Ha ha....thanks LT. I'm glad you commiserate with me. Yes Toby too. It's like "Just pick yourself up and get over it!"

Nov 1st 2007

I thought Karen actually acted completely not crazy and she handled herself better than anybody, especially considering her ex just paid her a visit that cost her a nice copier and she had to hear about how happy he is now.

"Oh, my God, I don't want to see Karen at all, and Pam will be so pissed when she hears about this, and I need to get out of here now!"

I'm with you except for the "Pam will be so pissed" part. I don't think he was worried about what Pam would think. I think it was all fear of Karen.

Also, this episode was very middle ground for me. Very not awesome, very not awful.

Agree. And maybe I'm juvenile, but my favorite LOL moment was in the car when Dwight was peeing in the empty can and he started spraying and cutting himself.

Nov 1st 2007

Isn't it great to see how Pam reacted to Jim's trip? She was sympathetic and sweet and not at all upset. And I seriously doubt that Pam would be upset for Jim getting back in the car - she knows how Dwight can be. Plus, I think it's fairly obvious how rock-solid their relationship is. I mean, both of them know how long they've been in love with each other. No dumb Michael-Dwight-potentially-dangerous prank that happens to involve Karen is going to shake that. This is Fancy New Beesly we're talking about here! She bravely told Karen that she wasn't sorry for telling Jim how she felt during Beach Games - does anyone really think that she'd be mad at Jim for simply SEEING Karen at work? Nah.

Nov 1st 2007 edited

I can't call it the best episode of the year so far, by any stretch, but I laughed out loud more than I have all season. Oscar's "gayest thing about me" line, Andy's "Uncle Remus" line, Toby's bow tie, the disturbances of the Finer Things club (and the Munch do-not-disturb sign), Jim the reluctant babysitter, Dwight's upturned mustache, and most of all, mustachioed Jim trying desperately to avoid being seen by Karen, all set me off. Thirty minutes of good silly fun.

Nov 1st 2007

I did enjoy the moustachios.

No Kelly, no Angela, no Creed and No Meredith in this ep. Weird.

Nov 1st 2007

Thirty minutes of good silly fun.

This reminds me...In Kristin Dos Santos' interview with Joss Whedon, she asked him if he could tell her any broad statements about this episode and he said something like "It will not be unsilly." It was very silly...and now I've said that word in my head so many times it doesn't sound like a real word anymore.

Nov 1st 2007

I can't call it the best episode of the year so far, by any stretch, but I laughed out loud more than I have all season.

I'm on board with that. I laughed harder than last week, and I laughed a lot last week. This show isn't always at its best just because it's at its funniest. Sometimes they coincide. Other times I find there's no correlation. This was an example of lots of laughs, generous awkward moments but maybe not much to remember it for plot-wise. And I'm OK with that decision.

When Jim's in the car listening to them fall down the stair with the copier over the walkie-talkie, I was laughing so hard I had to pause and rewind it multiple times. Even my Office-unappreciating wife was giggling along.

Nov 1st 2007

Where the funk is everyone?

Nov 1st 2007

I'm having digital camera difficulties at the moment, so I've been trying my hardest to fix that and not keeping up on commenting on the episode, sorry. ;-)

I agree that the episode was funny but it seemed a bit like they wanted to give Karen some closure but they didn't really know what to do with her. Nervous Jim was cute and the mustaches were silly but pretty much everything Karen does bores me...

Nov 1st 2007

I'm here, Brian, waiting on your every word. Say something funny, Brian. Say something funny or smart.

Nov 1st 2007

Karen looked hot. I wish Jim would have put her in her place. She has cause to be angry at him, but geez, give it a rest. Now that I think about it, for her to be that snippy with him, he had a shot at a little sumtin sumtin. You know, if he wanted it.

Nov 1st 2007

I'm in agreement with Nathan the Lady Killer and Brian. Not the greatest episode ever, just a good, silly, funny episode that had me laughing out loud throughout. The DVR got quite a workout from me having to rewind and catch the lines I missed because was laughing so hard.

What I loved - every single thing Michael & Andy said that had racial overtones. I love race-based humor. If that makes me a terrible person so be it. Toby in his bow tie carrying tea cups. Oscar saying The Finer Things Club is the second gayest thing he does. Andy trying to Nard Dog the club and getting denied. Jim trying to hide in the car and telling the cameraman to get down. Jim freaking out when he found out they were going to Utica. Jim freaking out when Michael asked about sex with Karen. Jim wearing Madge/Pudge's warehouse shirt.

Nov 1st 2007

Maybe if he played his cards right, he could have, you know, invited Karen back to Scranton, you know, bring Pam in, have a little Finer Things Club of their own. Where they wouldn't be appreciating books, if you know what I"m saying.

Sex. Threesome sex. That's what I'm talking about. With each other. Sex.

Nov 1st 2007 edited

I love race-based humor.

You should hear me do my Chris Rock routine.

It didn't click to me that he was telling the cameraman to get down. That must have made them even more conspicuous to Karen.

If my co-worker threw my cell phone out the window, I'd be half-tempted to throw him out on the highway after it.

The writing, improvising and/or performances that went into that car-walkie talkie scene were amazing. They showed so little and yet it worked better because of that.

eta: Daoust, what are you getting at? Don't be so cryptic. Just say it.

Nov 1st 2007

I'll just leave it to the readerships imagination, Brian. Let them decode it.

Nov 1st 2007

I enjoyed the episode, but for very different reasons than usual. It seems that they are trying new styles with the show, and some of it I like, but most of it isn't any good. Sometimes I wish they stayed more confined to their documentarian style. There haven't been hardly any long pan shots or solid reaction shots this season, which disappoints me. Oh well, at least Steve Carell wrote next week's show.

Nov 1st 2007

That was...amusing. I liked the FTC subplot more than the actual Utica plot, though. I so do not miss Karen.

Nov 1st 2007

To me the most intriguing exchange between Jim & Karen was Karen's "So you're still doing this kinda stuff?" Many people assumed Karen wasn't a big fan of Jim's pranks and laid-back-to-the-point-of-apathetic attitude, and assumed that she tried to motivate him and got frustrated that she couldn't. To me that line proved it. Now we are starting to get hints that attitude could start to cause a little drama in the Jim/Pam relationship. Last week we saw that Pam has some more defined and realistic goals in her life than Jim does. This week we saw her get a little annoyed that Jim wouldn't take the Finer Things Club seriously. NOT anything that will tear them apart, just showing some differences and things they will have to work through. I'm really enjoying how the writers are handling Jim and Pam this year, both as a couple and as individuals. Can't wait to see what else they have in store.

Nov 1st 2007

Karen is...a-lot-more-than-kind-of-a-bitch. Everyone say that five times fast. I was SO happy when Jim immediately responded "I didn't want to see you". That was wonderful.

I wish I could join the FTC with Jim, Pam, and Oscar. Toby is a creepy creeper. Michael is so right about him.

Eyes are the groin of the head.

I thought Stanley's attempt to get a raise was hilarious. I'm glad he didn't leave, we need our hilarious, ironic, crossword puzzling guy to stay in the office :)

I loved Pam's response when Jim got back. It wasn't overly mushy it was just, beautiful.

I've never seen Jim look so angry as when Dwight threw the phone out of the car. He's beautiful.

Is it bad that I never want to hear Dwight utter the words "my penis" ever again. I'd prefer to not know. Anything. Ever.

This was a great episode. They made a lot happen in a little half hour.

Nov 1st 2007

I was SO happy when Jim immediately responded "I didn't want to see you". That was wonderful.

Did it seem like he was instinctively ready to back off that statement but quickly realized that was exactly what he meant so he went with it? I thought so.

Nov 1st 2007

"whatever, bitch. I like these two buffoons better than you anyway and you don't deserve an explanation."

I like your thinking Pate!

I loved the car scene with Dwight peeing in the can of coke and subsequently cutting his penis. The look on Jim and Michael's faces was hilarious. Mindy sure does know how to make me laugh with car scenes. I was laughing, crying and snorting.

This also made me laugh really hard:

When Jim's in the car listening to them fall down the stair with the copier over the walkie-talkie, I was laughing so hard I had to pause and rewind it multiple times.

I couldn't hear the whole thing because I was laughing but I caught the part when Michael was telling Jim to host the Dundies next year.

Also, Jim in that hat at the end was too hot to handle.

Nov 1st 2007

I also wish I could see Michael's ad for a new salesman:

Looking for a black salesman with sass and a big butt.

Not the exact quote but I can't rewind right now cause the hubby is watching Scrubs.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 16
  12. >