Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.06 Branch Wars
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 16
  12. >
121 to 150 of 460
Nov 1st 2007

Do-do-do do-do (twittling my thumbs waiting for people to talk about the episode)

Where is everyone :o(

Nov 1st 2007

This was hardly a Branch Battle. Dumb title. Not as dumb and single-meaning as Local Ad, but close.

Nov 1st 2007

Well, the people in Scranton were fighting about the finer things club and then Dwight was ready to burn down Utica so maybe they were going for the double meaning again.

Nov 1st 2007

I haven't read any posts, but my first impressions are good. I am apprehensive, though, because of this talk about the spinoff. I'm watching the episode looking for clues instead of watching it to watch it.

Nov 1st 2007

I hope there's some Dwangela interaction next week.

Also, Michael/Jan stuff. How's the money situation?

I think Michael and Dwight are being overly ridiculous this season. This episode and the one where they drove into the lake and freaked out at the client...it's all just too much. I'm surprised Ryan didn't call Michael after this one and yell at him.

Jam is happiness :)

I hope Oscar gets a love interest.

Nov 1st 2007

Yeah, this episode didn't seem to inspire much chatter. I think the Wars title was appropriate. I can't remember the exact comment, but Karen said something in the beginning about part of the reason she went after Stanley was because he was in Scranton. Then Michael declared war on Utica with Dwight as his loyal soldier. More thoughts:

• No one's mentioned Michael's recruiting call to the Utica guy, that was classic, especially when Pam started laughing at Michael and he told her to get out. And a nice callback to all the Stamford people leaving right away.
  • Michael laying on the floor to talk to Pam a la Benihana Christmas. That must be his sad guy position.
  • Michael has a new car and it's appropriately cheesy. I think he had it last week, when he got out of the car at Poor Richard's it was a convertible and you could see a flash of red.
  • We learned that Jim has at least one brother.
  • I have no doubt that Toby's main motivation for bring in the Finer Things Club was to spend quality time with Pam.
  • Weird that we never even saw Angela, and I didn't notice until someone mentioned it here. I think even in the very beginning when she didn't have much of a role she always got on screen. I wonder if Angela the actress had something else going on.
Nov 1st 2007 edited

There weren't any Angela moments, were there? I think that may be what this episode was missing for me. No Kelly, no Angela. :-(

Obviously I wrote this post a little too slowly. Jinx!

Nov 1st 2007

Maybe that's when she was doing Letterman and stuff in NY.

Nov 1st 2007

I just started watching it again and Michael's computer screen still has the post-it eye on it from when Michael made it talk last year.

Nov 1st 2007

Wow. Karen is...kind of a bitch. Oh wait, we already knew that. But wow...time to let it go, Fillipelli. Let...it...GO.

And how cute is Stressed-out Jim? Oh wow. Even in the Madge warehouse outfit. Harumph.

Nov 1st 2007

He is cute. Him and his hat. Oh yeah, have we mentioned his nards yet?

Nov 1st 2007

You know the hat thing was Jim's idea.

Nov 1st 2007

So when Jim found out where they were driving to, who was he calling? Pam?

Nov 1st 2007

That was my thought. Don't know what he was going to say to her though.

Nov 1st 2007 edited

I will no longer carry mace. My only line of defense will be this here piece of chalk. I can either stab someone in the eye with it or blow chalk dust in their eyes. Don't mess with me!

Nov 1st 2007

I couldn't hear the whole thing because I was laughing but I caught the part when Michael was telling Jim to host the Dundies next year.

How did I miss this?! Time to rewatch.

Nice Irish, Jimmy me boy!

Nov 1st 2007

The writing, improvising and/or performances that went into that car-walkie talkie scene were amazing. They showed so little and yet it worked better because of that.

When Jim's in the car listening to them fall down the stair with the copier over the walkie-talkie, I was laughing so hard I had to pause and rewind it multiple times.

I completely agree. I kept flashing back to Will Ferrell in "Austin Powers": "I'm very badly burned."

Some gags just work better if you don't see them and can imagine your own hilarious blocking. It was like Joss was saying, "How do you, the viewer, envision Michael Scott's near-death by copier?"

Nov 1st 2007

This scene reminds me of The Injury when Michael fell in the toilet and no one would help him. We couldn't see him but we could hear him banging and splashing. I think that made it funnier.

Nov 1st 2007

This scene reminds me of The Injury when Michael fell in the toilet and no one would help him. We couldn't see him but we could hear him banging and splashing. I think that made it funnier.

Definitely! That's right, and it was also a Mindy-written one. I guess she really has a great sense of what to not show. It might take away the funny if you actually saw someone in pain.

Nov 1st 2007

Michael was telling Jim to host the Dundies next year.

How did I miss this?!

I missed this too. In my defense, I was laughing too hard from everything else going on in the scene.

Much better effort from Mindy on this one than her two from last year (Diwali and Ben Franklin).

I'll bet Krasinski's been doing Irish impressions on set forever and they've just been waiting for a time to have him do it in an episode.

Nov 1st 2007

Here's the exact quote that had me laughing:

Do it for Stanley. Come on Jim, just climb on top of her and think about Stanley. Jim, if this is it for me, promise me something. Host the Dundies.

I loved the way Jim, looked at the camera man and kind of hit the camera and whispered "What are you doing? Come on man." and was mad at him for not hiding from Karen.

Nov 1st 2007

Okay . . . didn't like it so much. Laughed at Oscar's line about the Finer Things Club, thought Krasinski was great in the scenes between finding out about the Utica trip and actually arriving, thought the off-camera copier hilarity was pretty good -- other than that . . . nothing. Didn't laugh much, felt that Jim's meeting with Karen was a let-down. I find it interesting that everyone here is like, "Oh snap, Karen's such a bitch!" and my feeling was that I was waiting for Jim to like, apologize. Or SOMETHING. I guess it's possible that this has already happened, but he treated her like crap last year. I think she has a right to be mad for as long as she feels like being mad. From Karen's perspective, Jim is the kind of boyfriend you tell horror stories about years from now.

I thought it was interesting how the Utica branch looked much nicer than the Scranton or Stamford branches did. Big windows, more parking, nicer grounds, the boss it hot . . that's really it. Karen, snotty and bitter as she was in this episode, certainly looked hot.

I wished Jim had taken off the stupid moustache. That's what he would have done -- the instant Michael and Dwight were gone, he'd take off the moustache. He would probably also be able to explain to Karen that he was essentially kidnapped. (I saw someone upthread mention that he went to Utica willingly, but he didn't do shit willingly, as far as I can tell. He was essentially coerced by his compatriots' dangerous stupidity.) There were a lot of things about this episode that didn't feel right to me (did anyone else notice how there were no cameramen in the car on the way to Utica, but there was one in the backseat when they got there?), including Dwight's self-mohelization (jokes about injuring penises or testicles don't go over well with me, as a rule), the idea that intra-company poaching would even be allowed, and Pam's reference to "Ronaldo" -- is that supposed to be the camera guy?

Nov 1st 2007

I'll bet Krasinski's been doing Irish impressions on set forever and they've just been waiting for a time to have him do it in an episode.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Nov 1st 2007

Will Ferrell in "Austin Powers"

You mean Mike Meyers? I don't remember Will Ferrell being in that movie. It's been a million years since I watched it, though.

Nov 1st 2007 edited

"Ronaldo" -- is that supposed to be the camera guy?

Ronaldo was the receptionist at Utica.

Nov 1st 2007

First deleted scene is up.

Nov 1st 2007

Ronaldo is the receptionist at Utica, I think.

I assumed the camera guy climbed in with Jim after they got there to catch the walkie-talkie.

Nov 1st 2007

Pam's reference to "Ronaldo" -- is that supposed to be the camera guy?

Ronaldo was the receptionist at Utica.

You mean Mike Meyers? I don't remember Will Ferrell being in that movie.

No, it was Will Ferrell. He had a fez on his head. In the first movie Dr. Evil ejected his seat into the fire pit, and in the second movie he fell down a steep mountain and broke both his legs. Or he broke the first one, then tried to get up and test the second one, and then it snapped.

Nov 1st 2007

Told yis Andy was a legacy at Cornell.

I wonder if Andy's dad is the terrifying bully I always assumed he was.

Nov 1st 2007

He had a fez on his head.

I remember, I remember! I could hear his voice saying that, and then I thought, But I don't remember Will Ferrell in that movie. And then I could hear Dr Evil saying it, which must be why eyewitness testimony is so unreliable.

I think maybe I don't remember him because I didn't know who he was yet when I last saw it.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 16
  12. >