Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.07 Survivor Man
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
31 to 60 of 244
Nov 8th 2007

That finish, great!

Nov 8th 2007

Really excellent stuff. Thanks, Mr. Carrell, for the episode.

Nov 8th 2007

Oh wow, that tag ending was just wow.

Funniest line: Dwight's serial killer name, "The Overkill Killer"

Nov 8th 2007

Maybe Michael is not as much of a buffoon as he seems, Jim. (Even if he did pitch a tent in his pants.) Wonderful ending, one of the best in the series.

I'm glad they did something referencing Jim having responsibilities as the #2 in the branch. Even better that they showed him having difficulty meeting those responsibilities.

Did Carvel pay for the Fudgy the Whale reference?

Nov 8th 2007

I'm from the midwest. What is a Fudgy the Whale?

Nov 8th 2007

And where is everyone tonight?

Great episode. I'm glad to see Jim having to wonder more about his future. I'm sure he doesn't want to turn out like Michael.

Nov 8th 2007

Love Fudgy. :) And Andy. I agree that the ending was one of the best. I think Pam was nicer to Jim before they started dating. Lately she acts like he is a moron. It's starting to really annoy me. Maybe my favorite line ever when Stanly said he had to have cake or die.

Nov 8th 2007

I was pretty disappointed in this episode, actually. All the Survivor Man stuff just kind of bored me (except for the always excellent Dwight) and the stuff about Jim as boss, it seemed like it was trying to get somewhere, and just didn't quite make it. It was weirdly quiet when I watched it, me and my three friends just weren't cracking up. Anyway some good moments, and I liked the very end, but I just kept expecting... more.

Nov 8th 2007

Lately she acts like he is a moron.

Hasn't he been acting like a moron? His party idea was a bust, and everyone knew it except for him right away. He didn't take the Finer Things Club seriously, when she took it seriously (for whatever reason). He also interrupted her work on the local ad. I would expect her to at least not just accept this behavior.

But I think the affection and love still comes through.

Nov 8th 2007

Craiggers, who has been kicked out of every strip club in Albany, has been fired and replaced by someone named Jeff.

Nov 8th 2007

How is Meredith's favorite cake Devil's Food? Isn't she allergic to chocolate or am I remembering that wrong?

I loved the knives hidden everywhere, and when Dwight's lips touched that toilet-tinged blowdart gun, ew!

Nov 8th 2007 edited

Isn't she allergic to chocolate or am I remembering that wrong?

I believe she is allergic to dairy, so she can't eat ice cream cake. I don't know how she does it, because I would totally kill myself if I couldn't eat ice cream cake.

Nov 8th 2007

I have to say, I'm really glad that the writers (who I'm already missing) brought up Jim's desire to get out of Dunder Mifflin. In S3 he seemed to start liking his job more (maybe because of the premotion?), which, for me, kind of took him out of 'Jim.'

Does that make sense? Seasons 1 and 2 set us up with two absolutes about Jim: 1. He loves Pam and 2. He hates his job. It made him so normal, so human, so . . . average in a really lovely way. But, come Season 3, and up until this point in Season 4, while he's stayed true to JIm Halpert Truth #1: Loves Pam, he's strayed from Truth #2: Hates job (or at least is dissatisfied with it). It's nice to see that Jim still wants something more. I mean, I was beginning to worry that since he and Dwight were getting along better than before that he was actually finding some . . . complacency in his job. I think that the tension that comes from Jim wanting more than what he has was integral to the success of Seasons 1 and 2, and I'd love to see that come back. Even Pam's reaching for something more!

Does that make any sense?

Having said that, I thought Michael was just perfection in that tag break room scene. One of the sweetest and most tender and wonderful moments ever on the show. Not that I want them to do it all the time (because too much would ruin it), but I seriously love it when the show Michael being calm and "normal." It brings him such redemption. More than that, I love it when JIm and Michael have little moments like that together. It happened on the Booze Cruise and again at last year's Christmas Party, and I loved it.

Nov 8th 2007

I wonder if the arc for this season involves Jim figuring out what he wants to do with his life. For three years, he thought that was simply being with Pam. Now he has Pam, but he's still in a job that (early on) he said he'd throw himself under a train if it became a career. He's the #2 at Dunder-Mifflin, turned down an opportunity to become a corporate executive and...well, what IS he doing in Scranton other than dating Pam? Perhaps he will try to figure that out over the course of the season.

Assuming there is a season after next week. These might be the last new episodes we see until Season Five.

Nov 8th 2007

I think Pam was nicer to Jim before they started dating. Lately she acts like he is a moron.

Seriously couldn't agree with this more. I honestly think that Pam has changed so radically that she isn't even our same old Pammy anymore. In a bad way.

This...was the first episode I haven't like in a really, really long time. I even liked most of Season Three while some of you hated/disliked it. I did like the ending with Michael and Jim talking TWSS to each other and Jim realizing that he doesn't want to be there forever. Everything with Jim and Pam was eerily reminiscent of Jim and Karen. I can't believe I just said that, I must go throw up now.

I liked Jim and Pam's relationship in the beginning because it was subtly sweet. Jim was there for her all the time, even when she didn't know it (see: Dundie joke, deleted scene in Drug Testing when Dwight makes fun of her long engagement). While he doesn't necessarily need to constantly be her knight in shining armour, he's becoming slightly ridiculous this season. Jim not caring about the subtle things about Pam (the interruption in Local Ad, the Finer Things) along with Pam acting like she's better than him all the time (which she never used to do that I can remember) is making their whole relationship seem off. I am sad.

Nov 8th 2007

What does Michael say in the woods... "I am ....?"

I saw the promos several times and watched it twice tonite and still can't figure it out

Overkill killer is a great line!!!

Nov 8th 2007

What does Michael say in the woods... "I am ....?"

You mean, "I have hemorrhoids?"

Nov 8th 2007

Yeah, I thought it was rather unremarkable, except for the end. Neither storyline seemed to resonate, though I appreciate the birthday plot's effort to build around something everyday. The wilderness thing seemed manufactured, like it was a stretch by the writers to accommodate their "green" marching orders.

Everything with Jim and Pam was eerily reminiscent of Jim and Karen. I can't believe I just said that, I must go throw up now.

What am I missing? In this episode the only interaction I remember is the "shaking things up/great idea" lines near the beginning and Pam's conference room proposal.

Nov 8th 2007

What am I missing? In this episode the only interaction I remember is the "shaking things up/great idea" lines near the beginning and Pam's conference room proposal.

I guess I was referring to the conversation they had at his desk where she looked at the camera like "he's an idiot" for about ten minutes. With that attitude, I could almost see her saying, "Why don't you just forget about this birthday party nonsense and get out there and sell paper so we can go on a trip?" Maybe I'm overreacting. Thoughts?

Nov 8th 2007

I think it was just Pam realizing it was a bad idea and it wouldn't go down well.

Nov 8th 2007

with Pam acting like she's better than him all the time (which she never used to do that I can remember) is making their whole relationship seem off. I am sad.

I totally agree! She just seems mean lately. Leftover agression from being with Roy??

Nov 8th 2007

Well, that was pretty good. But not great, and not particularly memorable. It wasn't an episode that I'm going to look back at a couple years from now and remember much about.

Favorite parts were the montage of Michael's surprise parties, Pam tricking Jim into saying they'd meet in the conference room, Michael coming back in Dwight's Battlestar Galactica sweatshirt, and the tag conversation between Michael & Jim. Science, I don't think there's any question that one of the big story lines this season involves Jim figuring out what he wants to do with his life.

So what was the "green" part of the episode? Michael in the wilderness? That didn't really have much to do with conservation.

PamCasso, I have to disagree with you concerning Pam and Jim/Pam. I'm loving the emboldened Pam, and I think the relationship has been great, everything I expected. Goofing on each other and sarcasm has always been a big part of their relationship, and I don't see that it's any different now. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 8th 2007 edited

Goofing on each other and sarcasm has always been a big part of their relationship, and I don't see that it's any different now.

Silly me, I thought it was goofing off on Dwight together.

Edited to say that, you're probably right, I've just been pining a little for the original Pam that I (and Jim) fell in love with. It's taking a bit of getting used to..all this new confidence.

Nov 8th 2007 edited

So what was the "green" part of the episode? Michael in the wilderness? That didn't really have much to do with conservation.

Yeah, I'd have thought they would have done something with recycling paper.

I guess I was referring to the conversation they had at his desk where she looked at the camera like "he's an idiot" for about ten minutes.

I didn't get that impression at all. I thought Pam was essentially supportive of the idea, albeit mainly amused by Jim trying to do something with his temporary authority.

(edit: I just watched it again...OK, I don't think I was right about Pam's essential support, but I don't think she was being condescending, just amused.)

Nov 8th 2007

That was a really fun episode. I laughed a lot and was a little thrown off by Jim's behavior in the beginning, but I think it was a much needed catalyst. Course, we won't be able to see the results of it since who knows when, but still...
Little details I enjoyed were seeing Michael wear the BSG sweatshirt and Angela pulling through for Andy with the ice cream cake. Creed and Jim's exchange might have been the highlight of the episode.

Nov 8th 2007

Edited to say that, you're probably right, I've just been pining a little for the original Pam that I (and Jim) fell in love with.

There's no right or wrong, just different viewpoints. I thought the look at the camera was that she knew his decision wouldn't go over well, but she wasn't going to be able to deter him, and it was better that he learned his lesson the hard way.

Like someone else said, it was nice seeing Jim step in and run the office for a while. I still think he'd be good at it if he got the opportunity and was able to set his mind to it. Also liked the continuity of Michael saying he and Jan used to have satellite. He mentioned Survivor Man like it was a show. Was that a writing error or Michael getting the show Survivor and the movie Survivor Man mixed up?

Also a good use of the ensemble after so many of the characters were missing last week.

Nov 8th 2007

Survivorman

Bone up on your Discovery Channel, bra.

Nov 8th 2007
  • I liked Michael's singing Happy Birthday to himself; reminded me of a lonely kid.
  • Put Jim in the boss's chair, and Toby starts to wear on him too.
  • Man, I can't get over that last scene.
Nov 8th 2007

Yeah, the close really reminded me of that scene in A Benihana Christmas where Jim and Michael share a laugh on the couch. Good callback.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
31 to 60 of 244
Top of PageBack to discussions