Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.07 Survivor Man
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
91 to 120 of 244
Nov 9th 2007

Something I noticed...when Dwight is leading blind-folded Michael into the forest, he leads him through bushes and tall weeds and Michael stumbles a little bit while Dwight is walking in the open and smiling at the camera and telling Michael "you wanted wilderness..."

I wondered for a second where Dwight got that rifle in the woods, but then I figured he probably didn't lead Michael in very far and had time to go back to the car for the rifle. Or else he keeps firearms stashed at various locales throughout Pennsylvania.

Nov 9th 2007 edited

I'm hoping that the deleted scenes flesh the story out a bit more.

I can't make you of course, but I'd like to suggest that nobody watches the deleted scenes or even goes to the nbc website until the strike is over and the writers are being fairly paid. It will drag on forever if we as the consumers don't try to make ourselves heard.

Nov 9th 2007

I also thought this episode was pretty good - not great, but very good. The tag scene at the end seemed mostly improv'd to me as well...as I was watching it I immediately thought of the Benihana Christmas couch scene, where John has acknowledged in an interview that he broke during that scene and they just kept going with it. I sensed a similiar shift from Michael/Jim to Steve/John last night during the tag scene.

The Survivorman part of the plot was pretty funny - I'm a sucker for those survivalist shows, so I can see where Michael's coming from on that. And it was nice to see Dwight tagging along KNOWING that Michael would need his assistance at some point.

Nov 9th 2007

I would watch this again, but I didn't tape it (I was home from school and work, sick as a dog most of the day, so I figured I'd save tape and watch it at air date time).

But based on my initial viewing, I really liked it in spite of the small ratio of laugh-out-loud scenes. Once Jim got into Michael's office, you could see him slowly morphing into Michael. The best part was his talking head about Toby.

Speaking of the Toby-ster, anyone else catch the small "you should've come" he threw Pam's way when talking about the retreat? Sly devil, and a little creepy.

In regards to Pam's treatment of Jim, I don't see it as particularly mean, just the sort of back-and-forth repartee they've had before with the new Pam (emboldened to take charge of her life) and the new level of intimacy that they have (thanks to gettin' it on...sorry, I digress). There's always been that sort of one-ups-manship to their interactions, and dammit all if Sassy Pam isn't sexy as hell (when she does seem to be getting Jim's goat, you can tell he's loving it).

Overkill Killer...if I wasn't worried about how many ways that could be taken wrong, it would be my new screen name.

Michael in the woods was hilarious, I especially liked re-doing the pants after cutting them into shorts. I do wonder about what time of year this episode was supposed to take place, though (I know it's been chilly around here the past few days, so in the Northeast it must be close to frigid. Of course, the show is filmed in Southern California so...paradox).

I felt like this was a nice return to form, after some iffy aspects of the season so far. Too bad the writers' strike might adversely affect the output for this season.

Is this the "season of Jim"? (like last year's was "the season of Pam")

Nov 9th 2007 edited

After he pops up laughing at Phyliss, and she's trying to compose herself, and he blows the party favor in her face? I about lost it.

When he comes through the door at Oscar and literally knocks him down with surprise, that's when I lost it. I was starting to hyperventilate by the time he blows the party favor at Phyllis.

I wish I had some more insightful things to say, but many other people had such brilliant comments in the last page that nothing more really needs to be said. I pretty much agree with all of it - about Pam, about Jim, about Michael, about Toby, everything.

OK, here's one thing to add - I thought Micheal's comment to Jim, "sometimes I just say those things to lighten the mood when things get hard" (major paraphrase) was interesting. Gave him a little more depth and showed that there's a bit of method to his madness.

Nov 9th 2007

I can't make you of course, but I'd like to suggest that nobody watches the deleted scenes or even goes to the nbc website until the strike is over and the writers are being fairly paid. It will drag on forever if we as the consumers don't try to make ourselves heard.

You're right, but I don't have that kind of will power. If I did, I'd weigh 165 and have several marathons under my belt.

Speaking of the Toby-ster, anyone else catch the small "you should've come" he threw Pam's way when talking about the retreat?

Not until second viewing.

Gave him a little more depth and showed that there's a bit of method to his madness.

It really did, like "there's a method to my weirdness".

Nov 9th 2007

And one of those things lost in the shuffle--that I forgot too--was Creed's birthday skip around the room. That's a tradition I can get behind.

Nov 9th 2007

And the asbestos..."I thought you took care of that."

Nov 9th 2007

I loved the way, too, that people were reluctant to give up the office birthday celebrations. I think that's so true to life. On paper, it seems hokey and mundane and wasteful. But when you're working in a drab office, sometimes it's those little end-of-the-day conference-room birthday parties that can make your whole day, because they break up the monotony. It's amazing how much a piece of grocery-store birthday cake can brighten your mood sometimes. I completely understand why they didn't want to give that up. And hurray to Michael for recognizing that.

I am still riding the high of not having any of the Jim and Pam melodrama that overshadowed all of last year for me. It so negatively affected every single episode for me last year that I enjoyed almost none of it. Now that it's a relatively minor backstory this year, I can just appreciate the humor and the subtleties in every episode. I like it.

Nov 9th 2007

I loved the way, too, that people were reluctant to give up the office birthday celebrations. I think that's so true to life. On paper, it seems hokey and mundane and wasteful. But when you're working in a drab office, sometimes it's those little end-of-the-day conference-room birthday parties that can make your whole day, because they break up the monotony. It's amazing how much a piece of grocery-store birthday cake can brighten your mood sometimes. I completely understand why they didn't want to give that up. And hurray to Michael for recognizing that.

Thank you, LT, for saying what I was thinking waaaay better than I could have said it.

Nov 9th 2007

I loved it. Beginning to end. Image of the episode: Michael's re-attached pants.

Nov 9th 2007 edited

Now that it's a relatively minor backstory this year, I can just appreciate the humor and the subtleties in every episode. I like it.

I like it too. I've said it multiple times, I really enjoy what they've done with that storyline this season. But I also think that a lot of viewers are still in the habit of microanalyzing every exchange they have and every look to the camera, and are expecting the worst to happen. They need to follow your lead and relax and enjoy it.

Nov 9th 2007

I also loved Dwight looking through that rifle scope. "Don't worry, the safety's..............on."

Nov 9th 2007

Yeah that cracked me up. Along with the eggs cooking on the open fire. (Aaand, how did he start the fire, anyway??? Obviously not with a toaster oven and cheesy pita...)

Nov 9th 2007

But I also think that a lot of viewers are still in the habit of microanalyzing every exchange they have and every look to the camera, and are expecting the worst to happen. They need to follow your lead and relax and enjoy it.

Um, where do you think you are?

Nov 9th 2007

I like how this episode took a step back to the "classic" Office. Michael was misguided but not clinically idiotic. Dwight was weird but not creepy. And we had a storyline driven by the humdrum life of an office. Someday the "A" story may even take place entirely within the confines of the office. That'd be neat.

They need to follow your lead and relax and enjoy it.

Must... not... say... it... until... writers... strike... is... over...

Nov 9th 2007

And one of those things lost in the shuffle--that I forgot too--was Creed's birthday skip around the room. That's a tradition I can get behind.

This is what I was going to comment on. I think it was my favorite part. After Jim's attempt to lump everybody's B'day into one, and the subsequent mutiny, it really showed us what it was all about. Everyone needs their special day when they can be in the limelight.

Michael: unaware of the changes Jim made, just assumed the party was only for Creed so he came in singing to Creed. Instead of informing Michael of the new policy, everyone just went with it because they wanted it too.

Creed: Wanted validation that it was really his B'day even though the party was representative of everyone's B'day. He resented that the new rules would start with his party. He felt he had the right to choose the pie over the cake, and was just only too eager to be the center of attention. Now in Fun Run he said that he was almost 82, and in DMI he said that he'll be 30 in November. I wonder how many candles they would have had on his pie. Somewhere in the middle, maybe 52?

I think Jim would have fared better if he had brought up his new B'day idea at a staff meeting and requested input from the other employees. The reasons for and against could have been discussed and they could have decided on it together. That would have been a more democratic approach and even if everyone doesn't agree, in the end they would come away with a better attitude and understanding of the reasons that a certain decision is being made.

DftF, loved your analytical take on the episode. It brought to my attention things that I otherwise might not have considered.

Nov 9th 2007

I know it's been chilly around here the past few days, so in the Northeast it must be close to frigid.

Supposed to snow tonight in Scranton.

Is this the "season of Jim"? (like last year's was "the season of Pam")

I think Season 2 was supposed to be the "season of Jim". I think this is the "Season we all know we're going on strike, so we're not going to worry too much about the overarching plot."

Now that it's a relatively minor backstory this year, I can just appreciate the humor and the subtleties in every episode.

I feel this way, too, but I can't help looking for the chinks in the armor because last season's Jim & Pam storyline was such a horrifying failure that I think I'm waiting for it to come off the rails so they can waltz into Ross & Rachael territory for good and all. I also think that I'm not imagining things when I see things there. I mean, I'm not anticipating a collapse into "Pam's life suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks" territory, which was pretty much the point of Season 3, but they're going to do something with them.

Nov 9th 2007

I am sorry to all you writers that want more $$$ but I just have to...

They need to follow your lead and relax and enjoy it.

and that's what she said!!!

Nov 9th 2007

Michael: unaware of the changes Jim made, just assumed the party was only for Creed so he came in singing to Creed. Instead of informing Michael of the new policy, everyone just went with it because they wanted it too.

I was under the impression that the party did just end up being for Creed since Jim said "OK, then we won't do it", but they ended up using all the cakes/pie anyway just because they had them already.

Nov 9th 2007

and that's what she said!!!

I really feel like you think you're proving something with this, but you're just not. I cracked a joke a few days ago about a TWSS strike. It's not actually happening, you know. You're just being a dick.

Nov 9th 2007 edited

I think I'm waiting for it to come off the rails so they can waltz into Ross & Rachael territory for good and all.

They have kind of already gone down the Ross/Rachel story line. When Rachel got her first 'real' job at Ralph Lauren it caused big rifts in her relationship with Ross. Ross wasn't taking her job seriously and they got in a huge argument where I recall Rachel saying something to the effect of "For the first time in my life I'm doing something I love...something that I'm good at. If you can't handle that...." and Ross spat back "Look, I can handle it but I'm tired of having a relationship with your answering machine....Is this about Mark?"

....wow, all of that is from memory. I should be embarassed.

edited for spelling

Nov 9th 2007 edited

You're just being a dick.

Wow... So brilliant. Where the hell is that coming from? Did you get teased at recess today?

Nov 9th 2007

I was under the impression that the party did just end up being for Creed since Jim said "OK, then we won't do it", but they ended up using all the cakes/pie anyway just because they had them already.

You're probably right. I was confused because after Jim said that, Angela said, "Then what am I supposed to do with two cakes and a pie?" Then Kevin says, "I'll take them." From that I thought that Jim was suggesting that they just not have a party at all when he said, "OK, then we shouldn't do it." Also, when they sang the B'day song, Michael was the only one you could clearly hear saying, "To Creed." It seemed like the others happily complied after Michael sang that.

Nov 9th 2007

Anyway . . .
I am saddened that we may not see new episodes, since I really liked last night's episode. It felt like a return to form, while also advancing various storylines. It seems, to me, like the show is finding its footing again, and I really look forward to what's coming up. It's a shame we may not know what that entails for a while.

And Toby has indeed moved into creepy territory. I wonder if Ryan made him sleep under the stars far away from everyone else.

Nov 9th 2007

Wow... So brilliant. Where the hell is that coming from? Did you get teased at recess today?

I think you mistook my tone. I'm not upset, because I don't allow myself to be antagonized by dimwits. What you're doing is transparent: You've noticed that sentiment on these boards is in favor of the WGA. You're not, and that's fine. But then you misinterpreted a halfassed crack about a "That's What She Said" strike as something more meaningful than it was, so now you've decided a really fun thing to do would be to use it as a way to draw attention to yourself. Congratulations on the brilliance of your ploy. It has worked! Now you can sleep tonight -- someone on the internet noticed when you decided to be an asshole.

I will now recommence ignoring your semiliterate and deeply smug posts. Have a good time spreading idiocy the world over.

Nov 9th 2007 edited

This hasn't been brought up - how petty and grade schoolish is Ryan for not inviting Michael on the camping trip? I totally get that Michael can irritating, but that's an invite everyone or invite no one situation. And to invite Toby for no reason on top of it? That's horrible management. Of course, we all knew Ryan was a dick, but that took it to a new level of dickishness in my opinion.

Nov 9th 2007

And to invite Toby for no reason on top of it?

Oh, I think Ryan had a reason, and it coincides nicely with why he didn't invite Michael.

Nov 9th 2007 edited

I've enjoyed reading some of your past commentary DftF, which I've ackowledged, but now you've exposed an immature side to your personality. This little vendetta is bizarre. If its regarding my position on the writers strike, then back the hell up and recognize that not everyone supports the WGA... Obviously this is a sensitive issue for you, but the mature thing to do would be to discuss the issues as adults, which let's assume you are one, and understand that is okay to have different opinions. With name calling and responses like the above you are marginalizing yourself.

Nov 9th 2007

I agree AMJ, he's taking the whole "business is the most personal thing in the world" speech Michael gave him last year at the end of Business School and warping it to be a selfish dick. More so than usual, even. I hate so much about the things Ryan chooses to be.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
91 to 120 of 244
Top of PageBack to discussions