Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.07 Survivor Man
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. >
211 to 240 of 244
Nov 11th 2007

Yeah, I really don't want to see Ryan return to Corporate. Like KarenX says, people are outright fired much more often than they are demoted, especially from an executive position. Plus, they already did the "someone leaves Scranton and is forced to return" story line with Jim, and the reasons around his return stretched credibility. Keep Ryan at Corporate, keep him arrogant, and have him run Dunder-Mifflin into the ground, to the point where he either leaves the show or it's time for the show to end, which maybe coincides with DM going under.

Nov 11th 2007

Yeah, in the meantime they can just ignore him entirely, as they did this past week except for reference at the beginning when the premise was laid out by Toby.

Are we whistling past the graveyard? Seems like there's lots of talk, my own included, that looks to the future like there's going to be one past this week.

Nov 11th 2007 edited

Are we whistling past the graveyard? Seems like there's lots of talk, my own included, that looks to the future like there's going to be one past this week.

Hope is a thing with feathers, Brian. Don't be without.

Nov 11th 2007

Are we whistling past the graveyard?

Yes, because we don't want to face reality.

Nov 11th 2007 edited
Nov 12th 2007 edited

Just to add my two cents on the Jim issue -

I think they're just scraping the surface of Jim's conflict, so even he hasn't fully realized what it is yet. IF they get to go on with this season (please Lord), I think his struggle is going to be deciding how he feels about everything else besides Pam.

His being in love with Pam took up so much of his time and energy for so many years that the question of whether or not he was okay with staying in his job or whether he thought he wanted to, or could, move up in the company was moot. He stayed at DM because Pam was there. Then he stayed because he got a promotion and it offered him a way out of Scranton. Then he stayed because...well, because he didn't know what else to do and was apathetic about his life when he thought he couldn't have the one thing he truly wanted in life. He was apathetic to ambition, to Karen, even to Pam herself - he was depressed, and depressed people typically don't have the gumption to change their situation because it's just too hard.

Now he stays because...well, nothing. There's nothing keeping him there. He gets to be with Pam when they go home at night, so he doesn't need to cling to the job as a way to be near her - and this is the first time he's had to truly face the question of 'what do I want out of life, BESIDES Pam'?

Because he hasn't faced that question since before he met her, years ago, the dreams he's put on hold for so long are now unrealistic (Philly Jim). It's not as simple as, "Okay, now I can get on with all that other stuff I wanted to do". He has to go back and realize that, in the time he focused on Pam, he didn't go after his other ambitions, he didn't learn how to play guitar. Now he needs to refocus, while simultaneously letting go of all those old pies-in-the-sky. That's difficult, to say the least.

Nov 12th 2007

I like the way you think, Emmyjean. Because you think like I think.

Nov 12th 2007

Because he hasn't faced that question since before he met her, years ago, the dreams he's put on hold for so long are now unrealistic (Philly Jim). It's not as simple as, "Okay, now I can get on with all that other stuff I wanted to do". He has to go back and realize that, in the time he focused on Pam, he didn't go after his other ambitions, he didn't learn how to play guitar. Now he needs to refocus, while simultaneously letting go of all those old pies-in-the-sky. That's difficult, to say the least.

Wow, that's really depressing. Probably true, but still really depressing.

Nov 12th 2007 edited

You are soooo right Brian. That is totally depressing!

Once again you've just nailed it.

And Daoust - I think just like you think. This is incredibly surreal!

Nov 13th 2007

Well, not necessarily - I mean, I dreamt of owning a whole lot of horses when I was in grade school. Now, yes, it's a dream I had to let go of...but I actually wouldn't really WANT horses at this point. Too much poop, you know?

It's just reshuffling, that's all. :)

Nov 14th 2007

My friend just emailed me this:

Did you notice that the doll from Sexual Harassment has Stacy taped across the chest? I didn’t notice that the first time, but when I watched it again I saw it. You can really see it when they push the doll into Kevin.

I so did not notice that the first couple of times I saw the episode but it makes sense. During that birthday scene, Michael is dancing with the doll and is about to kiss the doll and Kev pushes the doll’s face away from Michael. Now I need to go home and check if I can see the "Stacy" sign on the doll.

Nov 14th 2007 edited

I didn't notice this myself, it was posted elsewhere, but Angela is cracking up in that scene. Which makes sense for Angela Kinsey, but is probably a mistake for Angela Martin.

Feb 6th 2008

When Dwight produces a weapon from the toilet, what is that stuck in the toilet seat cover dispenser? Is it a girly magazine?

May 22nd 2008

So according to OT, this episode had the lowest rating by the viewers who visit OT (7.29, compare with Chair Model which got 8.74). Now, taking statistics for what they are, I was still surprised to see how poorly this episode did. Night Out, Did I Stutter, DMI and Job Fair were all poorer episodes in my opinion. Funny how the last episode Carell wrote was the greatest in the shows history, and the most recent is the lowest of the season. Anyway, just writing for the sake of writing.

May 22nd 2008

I'm not surprised, the only really memorable thing that happens in this episode was Michael & Jim's conversation and that was in the tag. The only episode I might rate lower is Branch Wars and at least that had the walkie-talkie conversation. I too was surprised that Carell wrote such a blah episode.

May 22nd 2008

One of my favorite things about this episode was when Toby went into Michael's/Jim's office to ask if he could be added to the bday celebration. Jim's TH after that is one of my favorites:

Toby's great. He's great, but sometimes he can be a little bit much. [in Toby voice] I don't see the harm in that. Well, it's a cake Toby, so, c'mon.

I loved seeing Jim mock Toby. Loved it.

May 22nd 2008

I thought it was a pretty good episode. The "overkill killer", tenting his pants, trying to talk Jim into coming, Creed dancing around the room, Jim turning into Michael, it was all good.

May 22nd 2008

I didn't dislike it, it just didn't live up to usual Office standards. I think the relative lack of comments speaks volumes.

May 22nd 2008

trying to talk Jim into coming,

I bet Pam could do that.

May 22nd 2008

I liked this episode fairly well, but almost everything that happened before the strike is a blur for me. All I could remember was Dwight following Michael around the woods. Off the top of my head, I'd say "Branch Wars", "DMI", and maybe even "Fun Run" rank below this one for me, "Branch Wars" way lower.

Jul 26th 2008

They're giving this on NBC, right now. I did not know that.

Jul 26th 2008

You mean they're showing it?

Jul 26th 2008

Yeah, they're playing Survivor Man. It's so weird to see John on tv now.

Jul 26th 2008

Ah, okay. I can imagine! Does that make things more real for you, or surreal? I think for me, it would be the latter.

Jul 26th 2008

I think it's more surreal. As I'm watching it, I'm thinking, "I kinda know him" and you see them as the person and not the character anymore. It's weird. It's freaking me out a little.

Jul 26th 2008

Oh no! I hope we didn't ruin Jim for you.

Jul 26th 2008

That will probably fade with time, I'd think. I hope so. I'd hate for it to ruin the character for you, like Madge said.

Jul 26th 2008

I don't think it'll ruin it. I hope not. I'll get over it. But as of now, when I watch, it's John, not Jim. Maybe when the premiere airs, I'll get over it.

Jul 26th 2008

You could just try picturing him with more clothes on. Or maybe a funny coat.

Jun 23rd 2009

OK, so today’s quote on the daily calendar made me come out of hiding from using work time to log into NA but the quote got me giddy so here I am. One of my favorite things about Survivorman was when Jim does his talking head where he mocks Toby. “Toby's great. He's great, but sometimes he can be a little bit much. [in Toby voice] I don't see the harm in that. Well, it's a cake Toby, so, c'mon.”, but this is what was in the script:

Toby is great, but he can be a little much sometimes. [in Toby voice] “I don’t see the harm in that…” C’mon. It’s just a cake, Toby. Go mumble somewhere else and stop staring at my girlfriend. That’s all. I’m sorry, I’m just venting. But why does he have to walk so slow?

LOVE that! Wish they would have kept that in. I loved how being in Michael’s position, he too is forced to hate Toby.

Work internet gods, please don’t get me in trouble for coming on to NA.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. >
211 to 240 of 244