Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.08 The Deposition
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 15
  12. >
91 to 120 of 439
Nov 15th 2007

Can I just say that I really like David Wallace? He seems like a good guy. I love the way Andy Buckley plays him.

Nov 15th 2007

I disagree with Brian.

That's not the way to get a shout out. You should know that by now.

Nov 15th 2007

Yeah, to hell with Canada now. I should throw Mexico some love instead.

Nov 15th 2007

I want to post my first impressions before they get tainted. Call me pre-nostalgic, but I really liked this episode. Perhaps it was the wine, or the anticipation, or the ice cream, but I really liked the office scenes and the deposition scenes. The TWSS testimony, and the read-back later in the episode... great.

And I think I feel vindicated that Jan had not yet seen the photograph of herself in Jamaica. My memory--which could be false--is telling me that I held the ignorance position. I know I thought she'd bring a case against the company, although I predicted ageism, not boobism and crazyism. And for all that I worried that Ryan would influence Michael (like he was totally trying to do), I don't think Michael was manipulated by him. When Michael refused in the end to side with Jan by giving the answers she wanted, I think it was because he couldn't compromise his feelings like that.

They of course are breaking up.

Nov 15th 2007

That's it? I just read all the posts in like three minutes. Where is everyone?

Don't you hate it when people ask that online?

Second impressions, then. Pam's ping pong table was great--were those six-pack rings for a net? And I loved how Dwight was disdainful of Jim not for wasting time but for confusing "Daryl" and "Client." And Kelly's talking head about the difference being talking trash and talking smack? Hilarious. I laughed out loud at that.

David Wallace is a nice guy. Michael knows he was a better sales person than boss, and he can't really get mad at Jan for her honest evaluation (it just seemed harsh in the context) or David Wallace not short-listing him. Michael really never wanted the position, anyway. Moving to corporate would have meant that he cut his last ties to the work he really loves. So long as he stays Regional Manager, he can "step in" to "help" the salesmen. He's still in on the sale.

Speaking of storylines that got dropped... remember the episode where Dwight takes over the call that used to bring Jim 25 percent of his yearly commission? Did Jim ever get that back? If he was confident in his easy commissions, it would go a long way towards explaining how he feels so free to waste time.

It doesn't bother me at all when characters are missing from shows. As people have pointed out, the half-hour episodes go by so fast that if someone doesn't need to be there, I don't miss them. Bringing Andy in to play ping pong would have had to be another storyline all on its own.

So I guess Kelly found a way to access her uncrazy side. Daryl made no remarks about the boyfriend label, and appeared to me to be going along with it.

Nov 15th 2007

Such an amazing episode! I love episodes where we see that Michael is indeed insightful and intelligent in certain ways. "you expect to get screwed by a company. you don't expect to be screwed by your girlfriend." such a great line! Also, when he said "absolutely not" and remained loyal to the company because he knew not to fall for the idea that wallace had said something bad about him... it was clear that wallace did what he could to NOT say anything bad. Also, when he deduced that jan didn't know about the picture before she stole his "diary" (love that he insists its his diary)... michael is more with it than it may seem.

As for the JAM moments... im sad that we have a long break but am left with a somewhat satisfied feeling. it seems that all is well in JAM land. they love each other, they are happy, they have flaws, they are hilarious. at least we weren't left with a fight and no solution.

off topic... theres a black widow on the ceiling of my bedroom. I am sleeping in the living room. i hate spiders.

Nov 15th 2007

I . . . did not like it very much. It felt very meta, which was okay, in a certain way, but a show that has so much difficulty keeping track of its own continuity should perhaps be a little hesitant to bring it up all the time. It felt like a cheap callback, to me.

Of course there were good parts. I liked the long "that's what she said" breakdown, but I felt that Kelly talking smack to Pam wasn't all that funny, and . . . I don't know. It just felt slight to me. Maybe I'll change my mind after re-watching. I remember not caring that much about "The Return" and "The Injury" when I first saw them. At least there was nothing that made me think, "Seriously? Is this what we're doing now?"

Nov 15th 2007 edited

The thing that really stood out and made this episode amazing, in my mind, was Michael returning David Wallace's "nice guy" sentiment. He's okay with the fact that he was basically outed as an incompetent manager in front of his superiors and corporate lawyers. But he stuck by the company because while both Jan and David gave him poor performance reviews, David called him a nice guy, and that's all he's ever wanted to be seen as.

Also, what were Kelly and Pam saying/spelling when they were "playing"? I didn't get that.

Also, I loved coming back from the commercial break with the stenographer(?) in the middle of reading back the bathroom conversation. It's like Michael being crushed by the copier. Seeing it would have been a little too much, but hearing it was hilarious.

Nov 15th 2007 edited

P = point, 0 = Zero?

I wondered that, too. I don't think what I wrote above actually makes any sense.

Nov 15th 2007

Also, what were Kelly and Pam saying/spelling when they were "playing"? I didn't get that.

"Pong". It's a way to decide who gets first serve.

Nov 15th 2007 edited

nevermind

Nov 15th 2007

I'm surprised nobody yet has mentioned Ryan's corporate entourage -- all with scruffy beards and texting on their Blackberries. Bonus background detail: Robert Mifflin Memorial Conference Room. And is this the first time Mose has left the farm?

This is Lester Lewis's first episode and I gotta say it was great. (TWSS)

Note to self: Never call Michael Scott as a witness. Ever.

Nov 15th 2007

"Pong". It's a way to decide who gets first serve.

Ah. Thank you. Obviously, I have exposed myself as a ping pong novice.

Nov 16th 2007 edited

"You don't expect to get screwed by your girlfriend." Hands down the best line of the episode.

I know. I kept waiting for Michael to say, "That's what she said." He's slipping.

I was always in the "no way does Jan know about that photo" camp. I thought that we all knew for sure when Melora Hardin confirmed it in an interview. She knows now and I would like to see some fallout from it. She's invested in her relationship with Michael now though, so that totally changes the impact it would have had back then.

I guess Daryl is teaching Kelly some terms that negroes use just like he taught Michael. Kelly thinks she's something, huh? I agree with everyone that likes the fact that neither Pam nor Kelly could play ping pong.

I loved the ending with Mose and Dwight. Dwight, as eccentric as he is, is really multi-talented.

Nov 16th 2007

As my username would imply, I am a tad upset about no Andy in this ep. Was there even any Stanley? C'mon, you cannot take the hilarious black guy away from us!

I thought this was a great episode. It's episodes like this that reminds us why we love this show, we feel for the characters. Tonight I felt so bad for Michael. His diary got read by anyone who's anyone at corporate, and if that wasn't enough, he finds out both Jan and David Wallace doubt his managerial skills.

And if that wasn't enough, he had to spend his day with Toby in the deposition meeting.

Nov 16th 2007 edited

And is this the first time Mose has left the farm?

I thought Dwight had invited the camera crew to the farm to film his ping pong prowess????

Nov 16th 2007

I thought the episode further showcased the absolutely insane (it's not the right adjective, help me out, folks) relationship between Jan and Michael. The scene in the cafeteria when they both call each other out, Michael for Jan bringing the diary, Jan for Michael making copies of the Jamaica Jan photo, then they say their "I love yous"; to me it was like, what a messed up couple. And then that they get in the same car at the end of the day after all that was said and done, and still decide to go out for dinner? Anyone else would have ended that relationship before they left corporate.
Now it's clear that they're still both together, because in a lot of ways they're perfectly suited for each other, totally flawed, completely needy and desperate for someones unconditional love. But they're also not idiots. Michael Scott is not so blind as we may have thought, as last nights episode showcased.

As Karen said:

They of course are breaking up.

I think that's where this season was heading with them, obviously. I am interested in watching the fallout from that if and when it ever happens.

Nov 16th 2007

I don't think they're breaking up only because I don't see them writing Jan off the show as they'd have to do. What rationale would they have for keeping her around? I think you make a solid case for why they'll stay together anyway Daoust.

I thought Dwight had invited the camera crew to the farm to film his ping pong prowess????

No, I'm pretty sure that was the same table in the warehouse, shot from the angle of the top of the stairs.

Bonus background detail: Robert Mifflin Memorial Conference Room.

Totally missed that. Nice catch.

Nov 16th 2007

Once again, Jim is portrayed as a dufus. Why are they doing that? It's like he got brain damage when he started going out with Pam! That happend on Wings, too. As soon as the two main characters got together, the man (Tim Daly) became an absolute fool. I'm mad that the show is ending (for now) on this note. :(

Nov 16th 2007

Jan wants Michael's unconditional love, but can't give it back to him. I think that she has always been very manipulative of him in a way. I'm not sure she really loves him the way he loves her. And he's beginning to see that.

Nov 16th 2007

I agree Rockin'Andy, but I also get the sense Jan is seeing that too. At least I hope so. That would be a more interesting turn than simply Michael wising up and the two of them going their separate ways.

Nov 16th 2007

Loved the episode. Two outstanding shows in a row, IMO. It's a shame it's ending.

In the open, did you notice that when he finally picked up the phone to talk to the non-existent customer, all he could think to say was "Hiya Buddy!" which is what was on Pam's cute post-it. I loved the whole post-it idea...I like when they do funny things that could actually happen in an office.

I agree with It's Just Meredith, too often shows make the guy into an idiot for laughs once he gets over pining for the girl. I don't mind it so much, but they should throw in some awesome Jim moments where he can wow Pam and make her realize that he's a catch.

Dwight's talking head about his ping pong heroes was fabulous.

Michael was the star of the show. You felt so bad for him, and at the end, you realize that all he wants is to be liked. I really like how the guy who plays David Wallace played his part.

Michael and Jan are obviously heading for a break-up, but maybe she can be re-hired by DM, even working in Michael's office, so we don't lose Melora. Maybe Michael hires her because she tricks him somehow, then they break-up and he can't fire her. Then he starts to become friends with a woman who is perfect for him, but Jan is around to throw a monkey wrench into things.

Nov 16th 2007

I don't mind it so much, but they should throw in some awesome Jim moments where he can wow Pam and make her realize that he's a catch.

Perhaps it wasn't a huge moment, but he spent the day practicing Ping Pong so she could talk smack back to Kelly. That's an awesome boyfriend moment, even though I'm sure he was more than happy to play anyway. He obviously thought it was weird until it was clear she needed him to do it, so he did it.
And I don't know about Michael and Jan breaking up: they seem to fit each other, or, at the very least, Jan feels she's stuck with Michael and Michael loves her almost unconditionally. It's a shame we can't see more of the repercussions from her stealing his diary.

Nov 16th 2007

I want to see an "awesome Jim" moment like he's really good in a basketball game (what an idea for a show!) and some other pretty girl notices and flirts with Jim. Or he brings the office together like in Office Olympics. Nothing makes a girl like a guy like seeing everyone else like the guy.

Nov 16th 2007

"Were his parents first cousins who also couldn't play ping pong"?

Awesome smack.

Nov 16th 2007

Or he brings the office together like in Office

That brings up a thought: hasn't the office seem really fractured this year? Maybe my memory's failing (which it certainly is), but I don't recall as many conference rooms/Michael speeches as in past seasons.

Nov 16th 2007

I don't mind it so much, but they should throw in some awesome Jim moments where he can wow Pam and make her realize that he's a catch.

What about "I think I'm in love with Italian food?" Wasn't that awesome blossom with extra awesome?

Nov 16th 2007 edited

I thought the episode further showcased the absolutely insane (it's not the right adjective, help me out, folks) relationship between Jan and Michael.

Is bold the right word?

they should throw in some awesome Jim moments where he can wow Pam and make her realize that he's a catch.

Yes, I agree with this whole sentiment. Also, in a past life, wouldn't Jim have thought it was super-cute for Pam to get all upset and grab the paddle and challenge Kelly in front of everyone (see his shocked-and-in-love face in The Dundies). It just seems like they're both bored with each other...that makes me want to cry.

And Michael made me want to cry too. I love him.

Nov 16th 2007

Michael and Jan are obviously heading for a break-up, but maybe she can be re-hired by DM, even working in Michael's office, so we don't lose Melora. Maybe Michael hires her because she tricks him somehow, then they break-up and he can't fire her. Then he starts to become friends with a woman who is perfect for him, but Jan is around to throw a monkey wrench into things.

I was thinking about this. Maybe Jan's lawsuit is settled with the agreement that the company rehires her.

Is there any connection between playing ping pong all day and playing Pam Pong all day? Also, does Pam give Michael those messages with Post-it notes she stole? Because that's a profit margin right there.

Nov 16th 2007

I think it's cute that Pam takes the time to write/draw on the Post-It notes she gives Michael. She could easily hand him a blank Post-It, but she takes the time to doodle on it first. That's sweet. HEY, BUDDY!

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 15
  12. >