Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Posters From The Past and NA Posting Stats Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 68
  5. 69
  6. 70
  7. 71
  8. 72
  9. 73
  10. 74
  11. 75
  12. 76
  13. >
2221 to 2250 of 2252
Oct 15th 2018

Present.

Oct 16th 2018

It is a present to hear from VG again!

Oct 16th 2018

Should we take this opportunity to update everyone on where we are in our lives? For me, I'm slowly getting past the awkward years of having dashing good looks, and I'm evolving a more distinguished look...I'm probably the best looking 50-55 year old man in the southeast corner of my town, not counting those with a full head of hair. It doesn't even make sense to compare me to those guys.

Oct 16th 2018

update everyone

So I got married. And it's different than I thought it'd be. And you know what else is way different than I thought? The whole step-mom thing. Way way way different.

I don't want to go into it here, but yeah. It's more... something. And I'm not even sure what the word is.

Anyway, we're having a Halloween party Saturday night, and hopefully that will be good and less of the something.

It's going to be me, my step-daughter, 4 or 5 class mates, and maybe parents? I don't even know. I kind of hope my ex-wife-in-law comes. I think I better message her and tell her so, rather than just hoping.

Anyway.

We're going to have tacos. And make jack o'lanterns.

Good enough update?

Oct 16th 2018

To be clear, I like being married. That's going great. It's the step-mom thing that seems to be going kinda... less great.

Oct 16th 2018

Everyone I know that is in your situation, has some sort of...situation with that. So you're not alone. It's hard enough to co-parent when you're both parents of said kids...I can't imagine co-parenting someone who is not mine.

Oct 17th 2018

Yeah, that's a pretty common thing in marriage, Toos. Especially daughters with their MIL's. Any advice I would offer might not be great, because each situation is different. I hope the other parts of marriage are working out better. Haha.

Hi VG. I hope you're doing well! I wish you (and the four others) had more of an online presence elsewhere, so I could keep up with your lives. Some of you, you post too much. Well, you did a few years ago, when I stopped following you.

Oct 17th 2018

I hope the other parts of marriage are working out better.

Pretty much every other part is great.

Well, you did a few years ago, when I stopped following you.

Such a good friend.

Oct 17th 2018

Gardening, amirite?

Oct 17th 2018

Heh heh.

Well, & all the other stuff, too.

Oct 22nd 2018

Dang it, I don't want to be the last poster, and I don't want my last post to be that... come on you fiends. Talk about some crap. Stop being all self-conscious. OMG.

Oct 23rd 2018

We could talk about sexy monkeys...err...sexy APES.

Oct 23rd 2018

Where's Anque?

Nov 6th 2018 edited

Should we take this opportunity to update everyone on where we are in our lives?

I'll go!

I somehow managed to land a job in my itty-bitty town here in Texas as the creative media editor (yes, I got to make up my title) for a non-profit association that represents terrazzo contractors nationally. After years of day-jobbing: no insurance, little to no paid vacation, etc.

I used to edit video in my former life as a dance professional as dance for the camera was my specialty at the university level. When the economy tanked in 2008 and I was laid off from my visiting professorship in Florida, I figured I'd never use that training again.

Nine years later, (!), the aforementioned association hired me as a part-time grunt-filing, data entry, etc. One day my colleague and I got to talking, and when she realized I could edit video, she bought me a new Mac, hired me on as a salaried employee, and poof! I'm a professional again!

I basically spend all day looking at gorgeous works of art, making slideshows and videos, and posting our content on social media. I also get to travel for trade shows and conferences; the last one was Americans for the Arts in Denver, and Saturday I'm going to Phoenix...should I look up Lem?

And I still teach yoga and fitness classes 6x a week, so win-win-win!

Nov 7th 2018

I appreciate the life update, whatevs!

Nov 7th 2018

should I look up Lem?

DUH.

Dec 14th 2018

Where's Anque?

Here! Late, per usual, but here.

So I got married. And it's different than I thought it'd be. And you know what else is way different than I thought? The whole step-mom thing. Way way way different.

Being married continues to be different than I thought it would be 16+ years in. I think anything worth doing is hard sometimes, though. It's easy sometimes, too.

I cannot imagine parenting someone else's kiddo, knowing how hard it is to parent your own. And I really can't imagine parenting someone else's kiddo without having one of your own first.

I hate that I'm saying this, but after this year with my 15-year-old, I feel a lot more empathy for my step-mother. Parenting of any kind is hard, yo!

Gardening, amirite?

Aaaaaah ha ha ha. They are talking about SEX folks. ESS EEE EX! Hey, Daoust, remember that one time we were going to write a whole book about gardening as a euphemism for the sexy times? We were brilliant.

One day my colleague and I got to talking, and when she realized I could edit video, she bought me a new Mac, hired me on as a salaried employee, and poof! I'm a professional again!

whatevs! I love this story a million. Mr. A had a similar breakthrough this year and is now happily working from home as a data engineer.

update

Bleh. I had a bad few years with mental and physical health after trying to complete a degree in Computer Science. This year has been better.

Dec 17th 2018

I can't believe I was sitting mere seats away from Anque for the Jason Mraz concert! I wonder how many other NAers I have almost come into contact with.

Jan 9th 2019

I went to graduate school.

They were some of the worst years of my life. During them, I came very close to drinking myself to death, which I suppose some of you probably expected would happen one day.

My foster brother, who I used to call Jon on these boards, died in a traumatic way. That sucked.

I got an agent and wrote a novel. Said agent was unable to sell said novel.

I kicked booze. That was harder than I expected it to be. It continues to be harder than I expected it to be. But also better than I expected it to be.

I pretty much gave up on my writing career. I'm going to law school instead. I still don't know how to feel about that.

I put back on most of the weight I lost in the first few years I was posting here. That is what it is.

I've dated a lot of people. A lot of people.

I don't know. My 30s haven't been very good, to be perfectly honest. But I'm hopeful about my 40s, which will start in a little more than a year.

Jan 10th 2019

Life, man.

I'm getting divorced. It's not what I want, but it's happening anyway.

Here's to brighter days.

Jan 11th 2019

I went to graduate school. I'm going to law school I kicked booze

Those are three pretty good accomplishments, I've never done two of those, and while I don't drink booze, I haven't kicked other habits I'd like to stop.

I'm getting divorced.

Sorry about that. It's not a good thing, but maybe is a better thing for you than staying married?

I'm trying to be a positive voice to two people I know and like, and while it's probably not very helpful, do know that I (and others here) do care about what you're saying.

Jan 13th 2019

I just tried to like your post, Jinx. Man, the internet has changed since we all started here.

Jan 14th 2019

I can't believe I was sitting mere seats away from Anque for the Jason Mraz concert! I wonder how many other NAers I have almost come into contact with.

This was awesome!

I don't know. My 30s haven't been very good, to be perfectly honest. But I'm hopeful about my 40s, which will start in a little more than a year.

You are such a boss. The things you've gotten through and the things you've accomplished are really tough. I continue to admire you.

Also, I've been 40 for like three whole months and the 40s aren't that bad.

((hugs)) It sucks to dismantle something you believed in but I hope you land better than you were before and stick it.

Jan 15th 2019

I’m really sorry. That has to be painful. I wish you many bright days ahead and soon.

I pretty much gave up on my writing career

This isn’t the worst thing you said, but it’s the one I can relate most to, not that I ever pursued being a proper writer with the same zeal (or pep and zing). I’m not even disappointed in that, which seems like it should be disappointing in itself.

Losing my dad sucked. Watching my Alzheimer’s devour my mom is worse except that she’s still here to hug and comfort. I have a “good job” with good people, but it’s not my dream job and the 2.5-hour daily commute is killer.

On the whole though, I’ve been blessed far beyond what I could expect or rightly deserve. If I’ve learned anything in 12.5 years, it’s that it isn’t about me. And that’s ok.

And I continue to be glad for my “Office friends. “

Jan 16th 2019

I've got to say, Bri and Dftf are two of the best writers I know...in different ways, but both of you guys, I'd pay money to read stuff that you wrote. And it just doesn't seem right that neither of you is a professional writer. I know that career and life choices take us down many different paths, and I don't know exactly in which genre I'd hire you if I was the boss of hiring, but it seems that people like you, who have a way with the written word, should be able to earn money from that talent.

My career (software programming) has become pretty meh. At some point in the past three years, I went from striving to advance myself, to pretty much running out the clock. And I still have a ways to go until retirement. My younger brother retires from the state troopers this year at age 51, and with his generous pension, he's probably not going to retire completely, but he has the luxury of finding a fun job that doesn't pay too much or require many hours, and I'm genuinely jealous and excited for him. It kind of surprised me when I realized that I'm counting down the years to my retirement.

I can't complain about my job...my commute is 15 minutes of back country roads, office time is very flexible, they don't bug me too much, and they pay me very well. But I'm not very motivated right now.

However...my wife and daughter are doing well, my larger family is doing well, my wife's business is doing very well (maybe that will be my retirement plan), and I find a lot of motivation and joy outside of work. So there's that.

Jan 19th 2019 edited

Hey guys! It’s been really great to read your updates; even just to know that you’re still alive, and that this place still means enough to you that you check back in. Thanks so much taking a few minutes to catch us up.

My heartfelt congratulations for all your good news, and my sincere condolences for the difficult times some of you have endured and/or are enduring. (Those feel like the wrong words, congrats and condolences. What’s the right ones?)

I’ve been in and out of here a few times in the last few years, and gave updates along the way, so I won’t bore you with too many details of my present. Not much has changed and yet a lot has; wife and kids are doing well. My oldest, who was four when I started here, and who was an only child, is bugging me a lot these days to let her practice driving the car so she’ll be ready for her drivers test in November. So that’s kind of crazy. Myself, I just turned 40 years old a couple weeks ago. I was 27 or 28 when I first logged into Northern Attack. I’m still processing what it means to be 40. I feel like my 30s went very quickly, and I can only assume my 40s will go just as fast. My situation was probably different than many in my demographic; I was married and we had all our kids before I turned 30. The last 10 years has just been taken up with them growing up, and my wife and I just finding balance amidst all the chaos of that life. If I look ahead, in 10 years time my youngest will be 19, and we will very likely be empty-nesters. That’s hard to get my head around.

I am still teaching and enjoying it. I had a bit of a change in who and what I teach this year, and I’ve appreciated the fresh start.

I think about this place, and you people, likely more often than you think of it or me, I’d have to guess. I’ve actually found myself visiting back here with increased regularity in the last little while, skimming through entire threads, laughing at our dumb and sometimes genuinely hilarious conversations. Why?

There’s a podcast I listen to, called Grownups Read Things They Wrote as Kids. It’s a simple premise; people come to a live show and read from their diaries and journals from their youth. The entries are often funny, heartfelt and some are extremely vulnerable and honest. I always liked the idea of a journal; a recording from a time in your past that you can pull out every so often and read about, and recall the kind of person you were back then. Northern Attack is a journal of a period in my life. A time when I was starting a family, and a career. It was a happy time, a sad time, a joyful and anxiety ridden time. A time of intense change and growth, and wrestling against that change. A time of searching. A time of regrets and mistakes. A time of maturing. And much of it is here. Written on or between the lines of the things I shared with you all.

I partly come back now to get a lift, or a laugh from the jokes and the good times we had. This place served as a much needed stress-relief, and an escape from a world I sometimes wanted to (and currently want to) avoid. But I also come back here to remind myself of how I’ve changed from the person I was back then. And I’m okay with that.

Anyway, enough of that. Don’t hesitate to drop me a line if you want to say hi. I’m on Instagram and Twitter more than Facebook, like everyone else. Loop me in if you want to write another group Office fanfic or swap CDs. I have some good ideas. Kidding.

Jan 21st 2019

I can't complain about my job...my commute is 15 minutes of back country roads, office time is very flexible, they don't bug me too much, and they pay me very well. But I'm not very motivated right now.

This is me right now (except for the back country roads). I've got 7 years to retirement and if I spend much more time here treading water, I won't be employable if something disastrous were to happen to the company. Motivating myself to try and find something else seems to be a hump I just can't get over. I'm sure nothing will go wrong with this plan.

Jan 21st 2019

In 2000, I left a weekly paper, partly on the belief that its days were numbered. It went out seven years later. In 2015 I left a daily paper for another industry partly on the belief that the entire industry’s days were numbered in any recognizable fashion. Last week what’s left of that company, once one of the country’s biggest and most profitable, was targeted for takeover for a hedge fund known for scavenging media companies for any valuable parts. I’m in a more stable field now, and If I can stay put until my first grader graduates high school, my wife and I can retire together. I’m sure nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Jan 22nd 2019

A couple of years ago, my wife and I bought the foreclosed farm across the street, primarily to use the fields for parking for my wife's annual festival. On that property is a huge horse stables and indoor riding arena (and some other huge old barns as well). The main horse barn, besides 26 horse stables, has a 200x80 indoor riding arena. I literally have more barn than anyone I know.

We've been trying to figure out what to do with it. We decided that we didn't want to get into horses. But there is a lot of work to do...we put a badly needed roof on it in 2018, and are getting a floor this year (it's dirt right now). I need to run electric to it, update the lighting, and put in water lines.

We plan on hosting rustic weddings, which seems like a perfect job I could do as I get older...you just need to keep the place looking nice (and it's a nice rural farm setting), manage the bookings, and when someone rents it, they are in charge of getting the caterers and bands and whatever they want. We just provide the venue, and clean up afterwards. All the other wedding barns in our area are booked for several years solid. We figure we'll park boats and campers inside in the winter, and host events in the warmer months.

So this is my plan; if it works out, maybe I can retire from my job once my daughter gets into college. I'm sure nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Jan 22nd 2019

Hello friends. Daoust messaged me on facebook for unrelated reasons and mentioned there was some activity here. Good to see old names around here that I haven't thought about in a while (sorry). What's new with me? Not too terribly much. I passed the last part of my board exam last May and now am a fully certified medical physicist and I work for a small consulting group. Spend the day at different hospitals around town. I generally like my job and it's only sometimes boring and repetitive. I do get to plan my own work schedule and have pretty much full autonomy which is really nice.

Still single. Bought a house in 2011 and finished putting in new floors and remodeling the kitchen in December after starting in June last year (I paid people to do this). I have two dogs now and still have my cat that I got in college, she is nearly 13 years old and probably getting a little senile. My younger sister had a baby in November so that has taken a lot of pressure off me from the parentals.

I started listening to podcasts about a decade after they became cool and have been enjoying My Favorite Murder and The Rewatchables.

I ran two marathons to my own surprise. Done with those but I do halves regularly.

Trying to figure out what the next big goal is. I don't know that kids are likely in my future so I'm really just trying to set myself up to retire as early as possible or cut work to only a few days a week so I can have more freedom. I'm sure everything will go wrong with this plan.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 68
  5. 69
  6. 70
  7. 71
  8. 72
  9. 73
  10. 74
  11. 75
  12. 76