Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Posters From The Past and NA Posting Stats Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 68
  5. 69
  6. 70
  7. 71
  8. 72
  9. 73
  10. 74
  11. 75
  12. 76
  13. >
2251 to 2272 of 2272
Jan 23rd 2019

Last week what’s left of that company . . . was targeted for takeover for a hedge fund known for >scavenging media companies

My family's business, a media company dating back to 1953 that made my grandfather one of the richest men in the state (though he gave the vast majority of it away, so two generations later we're no longer particularly rich), filed for bankruptcy last week. I took it harder than I would have expected. I've kinda been waiting for it to die for years -- no company consisting of 13 small-town newspapers is going to survive much longer, I suspect -- but it was still weird to see the last vestiges of a man I loved, respected, and (let's face it) feared starting to slough away.

Jan 24th 2019

I find the changing business landscape to be really interesting...people bemoan the closing of Sears or newspapers, or the reductions in the cab industry or grocery store checkouts...and while all these things are true, there are many more industries (software development, web designers, shipping businesses like UPS or Fedex) that are so much bigger than they were even ten years ago. It probably breaks even? But I don't know...

However, when I occasionally go to the mall and see how empty it is, I feel like we are in the midst of some sort of revolutionary change. Yet, unemployment is basically zero. I think there are individual winners and losers all over...if you were great at building a newspaper in 1950, you were a rich man. If you're great at building a newspaper today...I hope you have a plan B. Winners and losers change with the decade.

May 22nd 2020

I got married last year to my college boyfriend. We are going to celebrate our first anniversary next weekend. It seems like it has gone by really fast, except for coronavirus messing up the world. I'm glad we didn't wait another year to do it-- I'd had a strong sense of urgency after a friend passed away suddenly, and realizing life is short, I just wanted to be married to Mr. Bubble before it was too late.

Now I just want to go camping one last time, and eat at that one Mexican restaurant that serves the natural lime margaritas.

I've been a nanny for the past few years, making a reasonable living in a niche job in a bustling town.

My kiddo turned out to be a girl, not sure if I mentioned that here before or not. It was a challenge I didn't really expect. I didn't expect to have emotional baggage related to my kid coming out as transgender as I am unwaveringly supportive of that community. Having mixed feelings made me feel very isolated for a couple of years as I didn't want my less liberal friends ridiculing us nor my more liberal friends unable to support me in my confusion. I joined some FB groups so I would feel like I was part of a community rather than this tiny demographic of people who have trans kids and want to support them but have issues they need to work out first. My daughter lives an hour or two away in a small college town where she finished school. She isn't sure what she wants to do next and of course I am worried about her all the time but what can you do? She's older than I was when she was born, so I have to trust that she knows what she's doing.

Hope you all are staying safe.

May 22nd 2020 edited

My kiddo turned out to be a girl

I have nothing productive to add except that after 5.5 years as the dad of a boy, being the dad of a girl has been the best thing ever.

May 26th 2020

As things are starting to open back up...how is everyone doing? I was lucky to have a job where I can work from home, and my wife's business has been booming, actually...turns out that people stuck at home do a lot of online buying. But we can see economic devastation all around us, and also we have friends with health conditions that are afraid to ever come out again.

I think the quarantine aspect hasn't bothered me as much as others...I'm kind of a loner at heart, and I'm fascinated by dystopian or apocalyptic movies, so it's kind of like we are living through one right now. It's interesting to me to see how society changes as a result of some great change. Which isn't to make light of the situation we are in...I do miss a great many things, and want life to get back to normal. I think my wife and daughter really miss social interactions, which is surprising for my daughter, an introvert like me. She hangs out at my wife's store during the day just to be around people.

Jun 10th 2020

We're similarly lucky in that we have both been able to work from home, but even my introverted self is feeling the isolation. My mother-in-law who lives with us has multiple respiratory issues, and my daughter and I have mild asthma, so we've been really cautious. I don't foresee things returning to normal for a long, long time in that many people will be unable to return to many aspects of life. I feel worst for my kids, but they've really impressed me with their resilience and we've had so much quality time together we wouldn't otherwise have. I take that as a blessing. I also went from driving ~600 miles a week to still having the same half tank of gas in my car that was there in March. On the downside, I've been working harder than ever. I'm envious of these people with all this newfound free time. We have friends who are retirees with kids our kids' ages, and they are always doing fun stuff. They also don't seem to care about the pandemic because they get together with like-minded people and their kids, which sucks for my kids who see it happening but can't join their friends. Wow, didn't come here to vent, but there you go. So who had murder hornets/race riots/impeachment/pandemic/resurgent popularity of jigsaw puzzles on their 2020 bingo cards?

Nov 3rd 2020

I miss you guys and this place. 2020 has been really hard.

Nov 3rd 2020

It's the worst. I miss this place in well.

Nov 3rd 2020

A study in the Post rated Oregon as one of the most likely states to have post-election violence, up there with Michigan, so that's cool. There's a palpable sense of tension around here. Oh, and people carry guns on this side of the mountains.

Nov 3rd 2020

Unbelievable. I cannot fathom living in a time frame when the president encourages violence and intimidation. It’s been four years and my brain still can’t accept it.

Nov 3rd 2020

From Trump I have no problem believing anything he does. It's the rest of the Republicans who seem to just nod and smile that drive me nuts.

Nov 3rd 2020 edited

Ugh. Lindsay Graham's sickening syrupy about-face where he is concerned is only topped in mind-numbing nausea-inducing disgustingness by Stephen Miller's bald white supremacy. I cannot believe the number of politicians that just rolled over after having Trump treat them like trash in 2016. It's all revolting.

Nov 3rd 2020

Even the colors here are soothing.

Nov 11th 2020

Even the colors here are soothing.

Agreed. It's like coming home. I'm always so excited when I check in and there are new comments to look at. I miss all of y'all.

Dec 21st 2020

Nobody's ever home when I visit. But it's nice to see that you were here. I love inside jokes. I hope to be a part of one someday.

Sep 24th 2021

In support of my comment in the other thread, I went on a date last night—after almost five years after my fiancée passed. It went pretty well and I didn’t feel too strange about it. It was totally a blind date but once I got over the anxiety of it being a long time since I went into the “city” of Atlanta (about 20 minutes from me) and got parking it went well. She was pretty cool and agreed to go on another date. Certainly suggests she’s a poor judge of character but overall a positive thing. I’m trying.

Sep 24th 2021

That’s great! You definitely don’t want a great judge of character. TRUST ME! I hope it’s an epic second date.

Sep 25th 2021

Thank you kindly!

Sep 29th 2021 edited

Wow...I just came back to check on a few things...and you're all here! Since Facebook is a place where I never post negative or contrary things...it's good to have a place like this. Shall we all tell what we've been doing?

I'm older than crap now (but not as old as DC), my joints ache, and I'm still bald. It's 2021 people...we have the technology to fake a moon landing but we still can't cure baldness?

Oct 1st 2021

Man, I really killed the vibe around here, huh?

Oct 4th 2021

I blame Canada. For the vibes and for not finding a cure for baldness.

Oct 7th 2021

Boobs.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 68
  5. 69
  6. 70
  7. 71
  8. 72
  9. 73
  10. 74