Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Posters From The Past and NA Posting Stats Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 68
  5. 69
  6. 70
  7. 71
  8. 72
  9. 73
  10. 74
  11. 75
  12. 76
  13. >
2251 to 2252 of 2252
Jan 23rd 2019

Last week what’s left of that company . . . was targeted for takeover for a hedge fund known for >scavenging media companies

My family's business, a media company dating back to 1953 that made my grandfather one of the richest men in the state (though he gave the vast majority of it away, so two generations later we're no longer particularly rich), filed for bankruptcy last week. I took it harder than I would have expected. I've kinda been waiting for it to die for years -- no company consisting of 13 small-town newspapers is going to survive much longer, I suspect -- but it was still weird to see the last vestiges of a man I loved, respected, and (let's face it) feared starting to slough away.

Jan 24th 2019

I find the changing business landscape to be really interesting...people bemoan the closing of Sears or newspapers, or the reductions in the cab industry or grocery store checkouts...and while all these things are true, there are many more industries (software development, web designers, shipping businesses like UPS or Fedex) that are so much bigger than they were even ten years ago. It probably breaks even? But I don't know...

However, when I occasionally go to the mall and see how empty it is, I feel like we are in the midst of some sort of revolutionary change. Yet, unemployment is basically zero. I think there are individual winners and losers all over...if you were great at building a newspaper in 1950, you were a rich man. If you're great at building a newspaper today...I hope you have a plan B. Winners and losers change with the decade.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 68
  5. 69
  6. 70
  7. 71
  8. 72
  9. 73
  10. 74
  11. 75
  12. 76