Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Northern Attack Northerners: All Things Canadian
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 64
  12. >
1 to 30 of 1901
Nov 22nd 2007 edited

Greetings to my Northern Attack friends from the Great White North, as well as to my American, European, Australian and other friends who visit this awesome Forum.

I am a Canadian. On this forum I am a minority. I think there may be two other active Canadian posters on NA right now (whazzup Leigh and that other guy).

I thought that creating this thread would serve a couple of different purposes, Namely, that it could be used to:
1. Dispell some of the ignorant untruths and misperceptions that many Americans hold or believe about our beloved country.
2. Open up some mature, politically correct discussions about my country of origin; it's people, its geography, its history, etc...
3. Hopefully draw some other fellow Canuckistananis out of the shadows, into a place where they feel welcomed and free to talk about things like the Leafs, the GST, the RCMP scandals, the Grey Cup, toques, Tim Hortons, the CBC, The Beaver (it's a magazine!), the loonie, Don Cherry, Margaret Atwood, Farley Mowat or the Tragically Hip....and have people know what you're talking about.

Americans, Australians, Britons (who are the Britons? We all are! We are all Britons, and I am your King. King eh? Well I didn't vote for you!) please come in. Do you have questions, queries or commentary on anything Canadian?

Now, I probably don't have to say this, but I will anyway. Canadians have a sense of humour. I get a great laugh out of the playful banter that we (Canadians and Americans) shoot the lip back and forth to each other about Canada being America's hat, etc. But I was hoping this thread would take on a bigger role than just a place for Canadians to knock Bush, and Americans to threaten invading us and taking us over. Now, I expect a certain amount of that, and I also expect a nards or in your butt to be thrown in, but if we could always bring it back to maple syrup and mounties, I think that would be great.

So, discuss. Aboot what? Whatever you want, eh? (By the way, we don't say aboot. We do say eh a lot though.)

Nov 22nd 2007

Maple syrup candy.

Nov 22nd 2007

I got to see Stars last night, and it turns out seeing a Canadian band is really freaking awesome. It's not just, "WE LOVE __" read off their hand.

Also, our parliament building is not an igloo. In case anyone was wondering.

Nov 22nd 2007

Fido was a very good movie, and a product of Canada, as was the film Last Night with Sandra Oh.

Nov 22nd 2007 edited

I remember hearing a few good tunes by Stars on the the CBC's afternoon radio show with Cameron Phillips and Kelly Ryan . In that shows short tenure (before it was taken over by Jihan Ghomeshi's less than stellar "Q") I heard a lot of great music, from the likes of the Great Lakes Swimmers, The Decemberists, Feist, Jill Barber, and others. I really liked that show. It was my drive home show. It was funny. Probably too funny for the CBC, though...

Also, welcome Second Drinks. Did not know you were from the mother land.

Nov 22nd 2007

I used to like the Tragically Hip, before I found out they were from Canada. And I did enjoy Tim Horton's on my two trips to America's Hat, or England's Whipping Boy. Also, why are people from Canada called Canadians? Shouldn't you be called Canadans? Or the 'country' called Canadia?

Open up some mature, politically correct discussions about my country of origin; it's people, its geography, its history, etc...

False.

Nov 22nd 2007

There's just not much to say about a country that gradually coalesced into sovereignity.

Nov 22nd 2007

My favorite Canadian thing is my wife's rear end. Tied at #2 are Marilyn and Esther, her breasts. Third is Michael J Fox. Fourth is the rest of my wife.

Nov 22nd 2007

Great idea for a thread, Daoust! Although if any Leafs fans show up, I may have to boycott it.

Nov 22nd 2007

Also, welcome Second Drinks. Did not know you were from the mother land.

Indeed! Alberta. So, you know, I'm pretty sure a foot fell off while I was waiting for the bus this morning.

Nov 22nd 2007 edited

So Daoust, riddle me this. How does a hockey team start 0-6 then fire their coach and then go 10-4?

Also, I am thankful for beer and American football. Happy Thanksgiving from Middle North America.

edit: 11-4 with a backup goalie

Nov 22nd 2007

Best thing EVER to come out of Canada:

You Can't Do That On Television

Featuring the lovely Canadian Alanis Morissette before she took a Jagged Little Pill.

Nov 22nd 2007

I assume you're talking about Atlanta, right? I think they had a strong team all along, they were just slow getting out of the gate. I mean, you're not going to keep Kovalchuk and Hossa off the score sheets for long. It wasn't Hartley's faut. Good Canadian boy, as Don would say.

Nov 22nd 2007

Ugh, Atlanta!! GOOOO HURRICANES!!!!!

Nov 25th 2007

So I didn't know whether to put this in the sports thread or here, but it's pretty heavy CanCon that very few of you will understand, so I put it here:

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have just defeated the Winnipeg Bluebombers to win the 95th Grey Cup, which is the prestigious trophy awarded to the winning team in the Canadian Football League. They won the game 23-19.

The CFL has quite a following here in Canada, especially in the West. In Ontario these days, there seems to be more interest in the possibility of Toronto getting an NFL expansion club, than there is in the CFL, but nevertheless, the CFL, known for it's 3 downs and larger fields still has a considerable fanbase.

Nov 26th 2007

Wait...wasn't Kurt Warner toiling away in the CFL before cutting his deal with the devil for the Deluxe 5-year NFL Superstar QB Career (that has since waned into being a journeyman sometime starting QB...guess he didn't read the fine print)?

Nov 26th 2007

Warren Moon and Doug Flutie both had stellar careers in the CFL, so did a wide reciever named Raghib Ismail who played for a while for the Raiders, but never reached the heights of stardom he did when playing for the Toronto Argonauts. Ricky Williams played for Toronto last season and sucked.

Nov 26th 2007

Raghib Ismail who played for a while for the Raiders

You mean...Raghib "ROCKET" Ismail? :)

Nov 26th 2007

I think Kurt Warner played in the XFL for a while. Not sure about the CFL.

Doug Flutie

My favorite football player ever. I quit paying attention to the NFL completely after he retired.

Nov 26th 2007

My favorite football player ever. I quit paying attention to the NFL completely after he retired.

I never took you for a Bills fan. You seem smarter than that.

Nov 26th 2007

I think Kurt Warner played in the XFL for a while. Not sure about the CFL.

Ah, we were both wrong. It was the AFL, then NFL Europe before getting his shot with the Rams.

Nov 26th 2007

I actually followed Flutie most closely during his one or two seasons in San Diego. Actually saw him play -- only NFL game I've ever been to. LaDanian Tomlinson ran for a lot of yards and touchdowns. He was a rookie, and nobody knew who he was, really. Or at least I didn't.

Nov 26th 2007

It's from Canada and about Boobs (sorta)! You can't loose!

The Bra Bag or Bra(g)

p.s. check out some of the other fine gift selections as well. My favorite are the lollipops.

Nov 26th 2007

Wow. The great virtues of Canada are really being extolled here. I'm so proud to be from the country of the Brag.

Nov 26th 2007

I love that commercial.

Nov 26th 2007

I think Kurt Warner played in the XFL

Yeah, your thinking of Tommy Maddox who is the only quarterback ever to win an XFL championship. Then he came back, had a pretty successful year for the Steelers, then apparently forgot how to play football. Thank god (if you haven't realized it yet, I'm a steeler fan) for Ben Roethlisberger, who is a god in my book.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before, but I have a theory about how aesthetic attributes of a quarterback directly equates to success of a quarterback. Ugly quarterback just aren't as successful as good looking ones (once again, I thank god our quarterback is Roethlisberger, I don't swing that way but the guy can wear the hell out of a suit ) and time and time again I am proven correct.

Nov 26th 2007

Yeah, your thinking of Tommy Maddox who is the only quarterback ever to win an XFL championship.

How many XFL championships were there? One?

Ugly quarterback just aren't as successful as good looking ones

Peyton Manning? While not necessarily ugly, he ain't too purty.

Nov 26th 2007

Johnny Unitas, John Elway, and Bart Starr beg to differ.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 64
  12. >