Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Northern Attack Northerners: All Things Canadian
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 53
  5. 54
  6. 55
  7. 56
  8. 57
  9. 58
  10. 59
  11. 60
  12. ...
  13. 64
  14. >
1681 to 1710 of 1907
Mar 1st 2011

You were proud of that? Huh.

/ferocious.

Mar 28th 2011

It's a free country. Even in Canada. (I think Canada is still free...have they elected a new queen yet?)

Funny you should mention elections and Canada, because there's going to be another one. In May. Our current Prime Minister (that's like your President) is Stephen Harper, leader of the Conservative Party of Canada (they are pretty much right of center, but nothing like your tea partiers down there). The official opposition is the Liberal Party (left of center, but by degrees) is lead by Michael Ignatieff, who has spent much of his adult life in the States as a professor at Harvard.

Currently our government, before it was dissolved, was a minority leadership. That means that it didn't possess more than 50% of the seats in parliament. Stephen Harper has been the minority leader of Canada for, I think, the last six years. He has been through at least four elections, and has only won a minority each time. He desperately wants to win a majority, but I don't think he has it in him or his party to win one this time either. The Conservatives should win though. The other parties are just too weak or inexperienced or marginal to woo enough of the vote away from the Conservatives, who have earned a lot of trust due to their lengthy(ish) stay in power.

Now you know. Election coverage will likely follow. For your information and entertainment.

Mar 28th 2011

I didn't read that. It looks boring.

Mar 28th 2011

Plus I think it's about Canada, so double whammy.

Mar 28th 2011

I am going to shoot you for real.

Mar 28th 2011

Good thing Canadians aren't allowed to have any guns.

Mar 28th 2011

Funny you should mention elections and Canada, because there's going to be another one. In May.

Actually, I was aware of that and that's why I made the comment/attempted joke. (read about it in the monthly newspaper that arrives in my holler - we're so hard up for news we even read about Canada)

Mar 28th 2011

we're so hard up for news we even read about Canada

I wish this is how we felt about American news. Often times American news leads our national newscasts. Which is weird and wrong.

Mar 28th 2011

I wonder if there are any two countries in the world that share a border and are more similar than the US and Canada...and also have most of the same shared interests. I'd say I see much more difference going to different parts of the US than I do when going from New York to Ontario. So it kind of makes sense that they are interested in US news. I'm sure that doesn't seem right to them, though.

Mar 28th 2011 edited

I'm sure it doesn't seem right, but since the US has about 9 times as many people as Canada, maybe there's just more to report. Would you rather read about Megan Fox's boob job in LA (with visuals) or the latest polar bear exploits in Churchill?

Mar 28th 2011

Here are the latest Canadian news stories:

1. Canada turned down for "Real Housesquaws of Manitoba" spinoff.
  2. Inuits have 12 different words for the annoyance they feel whenever someone says that they have 26 different words for "snow".
  3. Toronto mountie works hard with the goal of someday becoming a real US police officer.
  4. Canada border dispute with India is canceled after the discovery that they don't share a border.
  5. Canadian armed forces contribute to NATO effort in Libya by guarding Greenland.
Mar 28th 2011

Toronto mountie works hard

Hmm, that's not what Daoust's mom said.

Mar 28th 2011

For reals, isn't there a reality show about Canadian mounties? Or did I make that up just now? If I did, then I patent that idea.

Mar 28th 2011

If there is a reality show about mounties, I haven't heard of it. And you'd have to think I would have.

Mar 31st 2011

So, I heard this song on the radio this morning. It's a rap by a Canadian artist know as Classified, and the song is called "Oh Canada". As a Canadian, I appreciated it. I wonder what you will think.

Here are some lyrics for your enjoyment, should you choose not to click on that link.

our health care system
y'all know its free
keep our girls banging with a full mouth of teeth
I won't even get into the music on the streets
they say hip hop is dead
naw its up north with me
I could do this all day its a part of my routine
but supper's almost done and tonight poutine

If that isn't enough to get you hooked, I honestly don't know what would work.

Mar 31st 2011

Is that a joke? That he's in on, I mean?

Mar 31st 2011

I believe it is rapped with his tongue in his cheek, yes.

Mar 31st 2011 edited

Can you tell me what poutine is?

It came up on this Sporcle quiz.

Mar 31st 2011 edited

Are you being serious? You really don't know?

It is the food of the gods, Nerfy. Start with french fries/freedom fries. The fresher the better. Then throw on some fresh cheese curds. And top that with hot gravy. It melts the curds.

Mar 31st 2011

I don't think I want to eat anything with curds in it. Sounds too much like turds. Even if the gravy did melt the turds, it wouldn't taste good.

Mar 31st 2011

I like deep fried cheese curds. If I ever make it up to Canada again, I will look for this food you call poutine.

Mar 31st 2011

I like gravy fries, and cheese fries, but I don't know about gravy cheese fries. Or cheese gravy fries. Yuck.

Mar 31st 2011 edited

I don't know about gravy cheese fries.

AND YOU CALL YOURSELF AN AMERICAN???

If you've never tried cheese curds, you really really should. They look like turds a bit (popcorn turds) but they taste good. Find a local small time cheese maker and see if they have them. They'll be pricey (what cheese isn't?) but worth your money.

Mar 31st 2011

I have had poutine and it is delicious. It sounds not good, but it is.

Mar 31st 2011

Aren't cheese curds the same as cottage cheese?

(popcorn turds)

You're overselling them.

Mar 31st 2011

Aren't cheese curds the same as cottage cheese?

Cottage cheese is a cheese curd product with a mild flavor. It is drained, but not pressed, so some whey remains and the individual curds remain loose. The curd is usually washed to remove acidity, giving sweet curd cheese. It is not aged or colored. Different styles of cottage cheese are made from milks with different fat levels and in small curd or large curd preparations.

Cottage cheese is more liquid based. Curds are dry.

Mar 31st 2011

No, they taste like regular cheese, they're just a little more squeaky.

Mar 31st 2011

Cheese curds are food of the gods. And I should know. Because of Wisconsin, not because of being God.

Apr 15th 2011 edited

This is the top headline in my local newspaper this morning:

politicians air fracking concerns.

Apparently, fracking has to do with hydraulic fracturing drilling. Still though.

Apr 15th 2011

Well, to be fair, the Canadians saw what happened on Gemanon and didn't want the same fracking problems on Caprica.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 53
  5. 54
  6. 55
  7. 56
  8. 57
  9. 58
  10. 59
  11. 60
  12. ...