Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Northern Attack Northerners: All Things Canadian
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 55
  5. 56
  6. 57
  7. 58
  8. 59
  9. 60
  10. 61
  11. 62
  12. ...
  13. 64
  14. >
1741 to 1770 of 1907
Jul 11th 2011

Toosie, I didn't, but many of my friends and family did. I was busy moving into my house. A few friends, the ones I went to Japan to visit, shook their hands.

Jul 11th 2011 edited

Cool. Now my mom kinda knows a guy that knows a guy that shook the prince's hand. I feel so royal.

Aug 22nd 2011 edited

So, a couple of months ago we had a huge historic election here in Canada. The ruling Conservative party won their long sought for majority, and that was a big story, but almost trumping that was the fact that the traditional 3rd place party, the left leaning New Democratic Party won a whole pile of seats and took over second place and the official opposition in the Canadian parliament.

The leader of the New Democratic Party, Jack Layton, had been leader of the NDP for quite a few years, and he had been working hard for this breakthrough the whole time. So he finally got the political recognition he had fought so hard for.

Last month, Layton had to step down from his post as leader of the opposition and leader of the New Democrats because he had to battle cancer for what would be the second time in his life. At that press conference, he looked very weak an frail, and people suspected the worst. He died today at the age of 61.

Laytons death is going to have a huge impact on the political scene here, for reasons which I won't go into detail about, because it'd likely bore you and you wouldn't understand. But yeah. It's really quite sad that Layton had finally got some recognition for all hard work and he'll never really get to see the fruit of it, since the house is on summer break and wouldn't resume until the fall.

Here's an excerpt from the Globe and Mail that struck a chord with me.

The evident tragedy of his death, at an unfairly young age and for a man who always kept himself in excellent physical shape, is that it came at the moment not just of his greatest political triumph but of his accelerated maturation as a leader. He showed every promise of having an ever-ripening sense of the country, and of realistic, progressive policies to suit it. He likely would have been a formidable leader of the Opposition. He would also have been the only political leader in Canada with the political strength in both French- and English-speaking Canada to be called “national.”

So that's news from Canada. An historic and sad day.

Aug 22nd 2011

Interesting the ways in which a smaller population and a parliamentary system paradoxically appear to have made one man so indispensable to the system.

Sep 13th 2011

So Daoust isn't Doust? He's really Daost?

Sep 13th 2011

He's really Daost?

Makes about as much sense as Daoust.

Sep 13th 2011

What to do today?

That's pretty much based on me.

So Daoust isn't Doust? He's really Daost?

Huh?

Sep 13th 2011

You guys just add pointless, unnecessary U's in stuff.

Sep 13th 2011

Outher than that, Canada is just like America. On Opposite Day.

Sep 20th 2011

Don't get too cozy, Daoust. We've got plenty of plans on the shelf, ready to dust off an put to use whenever necessary. And by necessary, I mean whenever we get bored.

Using available blueprints for this war, modern-day military and naval experts now believe the most likely outcome of such a conflict would have been a massive naval battle in the North Atlantic with very few actual deaths, but ending with Britain handing Canada over to the U.S. in order to preserve our vital trade routes.

Sep 21st 2011

Haha. Nice. The funny thing is, you could probably still use the same military tactics from the 1930's and destroy us.

Sep 21st 2011

It'd be good practice, too. And a hoot!

Sep 21st 2011

OK, maybe not a hoot. But I love contemplating these bizarre scenarios that were once either real or entirely plausible. Invading Quebec is only slightly more inconceivable to me than the idea of New Yorkers defending a Pennsylvania town from invading Virginians or the US Army marching into Mexico City. Also, that pro-Hitler march down Park Avenue makes you realize we could easily have ended up on the wrong side of that bit of history.

Sep 21st 2011

In WW1 especially, it wasn't a forgone conclusion that we would be on the British side. There were more German-Americans than English-Americans, and there wasn't any "evil" side in WW1...they were pretty much all at fault.

Sep 21st 2011

there wasn't any "evil" side in WW1

I'm sorry, did you forget that you said "Germans"?

Sep 21st 2011

Also, we were only a hundred years removed from the last war with Britain (War of 1812), and had never fought a war against Germany.

This is interesting from Bri's link:

Even Hitler thought such a war was inevitable, but astonishingly wanted Britain to win, believing that to be the best outcome for Germany, since the UK could then join his forces to attack the U.S.

Sep 21st 2011

I'm sorry, did you forget that you said "Germans"?

Was zur Hölle, Toosie?

Sep 21st 2011

Shut your whore mouth, Jinx.

Sep 21st 2011

That is the appropriate response to any Nazi sympathizers.

Oct 7th 2011

Isn't anybody going to wish me Happy Thanksgiving?

Oct 7th 2011

Your Thanksgiving isn't until Monday, so no.

Oct 7th 2011

So you were planning on wishing me happy Thanksgiving then? Honest?

Cross your heart and hope to die, stick a needle in your eye, eat a horse manure pie?

Oct 7th 2011

Your Thanksgiving isn't until Monday, so no.

Won't be real then either.

Oct 7th 2011

So you were planning on wishing me happy Thanksgiving then?

There's no way of knowing.

stick a needle in your eye

This has always creeped me out.

Oct 7th 2011

Won't be real then either.

This. Daoust, would it kill you to be thankful on Nov. 25th with the rest of us?

Oct 7th 2011

You may call it 'Thanksgiving', but we all know it's just a pale imitation of the real thing. Much like your football.

Oct 7th 2011

Seriously, Thanksgiving is based on the day in Plymouth Colony when the Indians were thankful that the white man taught them how to be civilized. What does that have to do with Canada?

Oct 7th 2011

I thought Columbus hit Plymouth Rock in the Titanic, causing it to sink. Suffragettes drowned and the abolitionists were thankful. So they ate turkey imported from Cornucopia.

Oct 7th 2011

That sounds right.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 55
  5. 56
  6. 57
  7. 58
  8. 59
  9. 60
  10. 61