Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Northern Attack Northerners: All Things Canadian
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 57
  5. 58
  6. 59
  7. 60
  8. 61
  9. 62
  10. 63
  11. 64
  12. >
1801 to 1830 of 1904
Mar 26th 2012

Prostitution is now legal in Canada

TORONTO – The Court of Appeal for Ontario has swept aside some of the country’s anti-prostitution laws saying they place unconstitutional restrictions on prostitutes’ ability to protect themselves.

The landmark decision means sex workers will be able to hire drivers, bodyguards and support staff and work indoors in organized brothels or “bawdy houses,” while “exploitation” by pimps remains illegal.

Mar 26th 2012

Prostitution is now legal in Canada

while “exploitation” by pimps remains illegal.

What a crazy, mixed up world.

Mar 26th 2012

Well, now your mom is legit.

Mar 26th 2012

Well, now your mom is legit.

Ya, but his dad is out of a job. It's tough out there.

Mar 26th 2012

Ya, but his dad is out of a job

That crosses the line. That's his dad you're talking about.

Mar 26th 2012

Yeah, it's hard out there for a, uh, his dad.

Mar 26th 2012

Good work, people.

Jul 1st 2013

Canada, it is your day.

Jul 1st 2013

I thought the NHL draft was yesterday?

Jul 1st 2013

Happy Canada Day, Disappearing Daoust!

Jul 1st 2013 edited

Canada, it is your day.

So states get their own days now?

Wait, I forget...is Canada it's own state, or is it just a county of Maine?

Jul 1st 2013

I think it's a city in Washington.

Jul 1st 2013

Washington

I'm not even sure that's a state...I think it's a District in the country of Columbia.

Jul 1st 2013

I'm not even sure that's a state

Hey, we're at least a colony.

Jul 1st 2013

Children in the United States grow up hearing nightmarish tales of a region populated entirely by savage hockey teams and a mysterious creature who answers to the name "Trebek" and devours those who fail to answer in the form of a question. Thankfully, it's all just fiction...right?

Jul 1st 2013

Hey, we're at least a colony.

More like a protectorate

Sep 25th 2013

I just totally signed in here by accident. I just finished up teaching for the day, and, on complete auto-pilot, sat down here at the computer, came to Northern Attack, signed in, and only after I was snapped to attention by all the white threads did I realize, "holy crap, I just signed in to Northern Attack!"

I didn't want to just bail, so I thought I'd at least say hello.

We had a busy summer at the camp, but it was great. We enjoyed it, and are probably going to do it next year.

I am disappointed by the lack of Breaking Bad talk going on around here. I've had to get by with the comments from AV Club and Hitfix; poor subsitutes for NA chatter.

In other TV news, I tried to watch House of Cards this fall, but only got about 2/3 done before I quit on it. Ditto with the first season of Arrested Development, if you can believe that. Bu tit's true. Neither show grabbed me. Sorry if that's lame.

How about those Emmy's huh? The Office gets nada. Mad Men gets skunked too! But at least Modern Family is still winning all the comedy awards, so there's that.

Hey, I heard a good new (to me) song lately. It's called "You Never Need Nobody" by the Lone Bellows. Here's a link: song

Also, music related, one of my favourite bands, The Deep Dark Woods, has a new album coming out in five days. You should download it when it arrives.

Movies. Did you see my FB post about the Dumb and Dumber remake? I can't believe that's going to happen. With the original actors, too! Crazy.

I haven't taken many pics lately, but I heard about this neat idea where you combine photographs with haiku. You write about the scene or moment captured in the photo, or I guess you could do visa versa, maybe. Might be a good excuse for me to get the camera out again, and to get rid of some rust on the haiku pen. Haha.

Sports; how about those NY Giants?

Okay, that's good enough. I hope you're all well, all of you who still check in here. Take care.

Sep 25th 2013

Canada...so that's still a thing?

Sep 25th 2013

We just had our big barn sale here, D. We had a paid admission this year ($1, going to charity) so we got a good count...and it was over 1000 people, in the pouring rain, all tramping on my lawn and driving their cars and getting stuck in the mud. My lawn needs major renovation now, but it was a good time.

Sep 25th 2013

Hey, Daoust!

Ditto with the first season of Arrested Development

Yes, I watched the entire series, from TV. I didn't love it. I really liked how they wrapped up the whole story at the end, and enjoyed that whole plot. But there was only one scene I laughed out loud at, in the whole series. Buster "rescues" Gob with a crane thing....it was hilarious.

It's called "You Never Need Nobody" by the Lone Bellows.

That was on my mix this year, you dork.

Also, music related, one of my favourite bands, The Deep Dark Woods, has a new album coming out in five days. You should download it when it arrives.

I will look for that.

Dumb and Dumber remake

I did not see that it was a remake. WTF.

in the pouring rain, all tramping on my lawn and driving their cars and getting stuck in the mud. My lawn needs major renovation now, but it was a good time.

Do you have a garden, Jinx? You should have an event in the late winter or early spring and have people park in the garden, where the ground is hard. Then after they destroy it, you can just plow it.

(My first thought was "Just plow it." But then I thought if you could move the event to when a good plowing is needed (heh), you know, two birds....one stone.)

Sep 25th 2013

I did not see that it was a remake. WTF.

I think it's actually a sequel, Dumb and Dumber To. Get it? "To" instead of "Two."

Do you have a garden, Jinx?

Does Jinx have a garden? Does a bear poop in the woods?

when a good plowing is needed (heh)

Niiiiice.

Sep 25th 2013

It was a crazy weekend. I didn't mind the lawn at all...I just felt bad for the vendors. We had 70 artists and vendors. They didn't seem to mind the rain or the muddy lawn, though...they all go to lots of shows and are used to inclement weather. Most of them said that they did really well. One guy said he sold more in one day in the rain at our event than he did in two days of nice weather at a bigger festival. I think people come to our event to shop.

I am so happy to meet all these men and women and hopefully help them get their businesses established. Some are doing quite well already, but a lot of them are just getting started.

Also, I was really impressed by the guys who helped out. My brother and his best friend just started helping me pull people out of the mud, which was great, but two other guys that I didn't even know stayed late and got all muddy. One of them even called in to work...he said he had 15 sick days, and might as well use one to help people out. I hope I can be more like that.

One of the vendors, "PS Enjoy Your Life", was the last woman we got out, and she put a photo of us on her Facebook page that you can check out if you'd like. By the way, her art is incredible, and we want to really promote her.

Sep 25th 2013

Which one is Daoust?

Dec 31st 2014

Happy New Year, retards! All the best in 2015.

Sincerely, Your Canadian Friend

Dec 31st 2014

An hour ago I was sitting in an Indian restaurant with a co-worker from Sri Lanka and we were talking about the cold weather, and he said "If it wasn't for Canada, we wouldn't be getting all this arctic air." I immediately thought of my good friend Daoust.

Because, of course, cold air isn't the only crappy thing to come from Canada.

Dec 31st 2014

Because, of course, cold air isn't the only crappy thing to come from Canada.

Daoust is the worst. Ha!

Jan 1st 2015

Happy New Year!

Jul 28th 2015

So we vacationed in Canada, specifically, Niagara Falls. Turns out there's an American Niagara Falls that most people think is shitty. Here's my take: both are tourist towns. The U.S. one looks like it has seen better days. And of course the Canadian side has the more impressive falls and the better view of all the falls. I kept thinking, why didn't we take these a long time ago when we took hockey, Neil Young and Maine? Turns out we tried, but American forces - led by Ted Kennedy, if I'm not mistaken - were repelled in one of the bloodiest battles of the War of 1812 (which they call the Vietnam War in Canada). It was 200 years ago last week, in fact. As we took in the attractions, I wondered why there wasn't more about the local history. I figured that it wouldn't be good for tourism to tout one of your country's only two military victories (the other was the Battle of Eskimo Snout, 1732) when the victory came at the expense of your visitors' side. Eventually I came to really appreciate the Ontario Niagara Falls. Everyone was nice, though not necessarily nicer than American's outside of the New York area. Prices were ridiculous. There's a tax called the HST on everything. I paid $55 or so for 51 liters of gas. I have no idea what that means, but my car now emits moose farts, which is cool. I love the money. Loonies and toonies and no dollar bills or pennies. Rounding up or down to the nearest nickel. Bills made of plastic with transparent portions. Monopoly money has nothing on Canadian currency. We stayed next door to a seven-story Buddhist temple, and the waiter at a nearby pub condescendingly explained that all burgers are well done because "your country radiates your meat and we do not," as though I had a hand in such atomic shenanigans personally. All that said, it's an underrated destination. Bonus: I forgot my bathing suit but found a great one for C$10 in a souvenir shop with a CFL's Montreal Alouettes logo on them that fit great. What a country.

Jul 28th 2015 edited

I find that there is nothing on the American side. We, along with many other tourists, wander around looking for something to eat or something to buy. Then you go to the Canadian side and they have everything. It's striking when you travel from the New York Thruway to the QEW on the Canadian side. On the American side, outside of Buffalo it's DARK, there is nothing. On the entire QEW, there are business and new construction. Canada is doing something a lot better than we are. I think it's time we invade. Because it's ridiculous to me that there are areas of Canada further south than me. We should take all that...and the pretty parts, and the parts with oil. They can have the icebergs.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 57
  5. 58
  6. 59
  7. 60
  8. 61
  9. 62
  10. 63
  11. 64
  12. >