Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
My Dinner with Greg Daniels
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 41
Dec 18th 2007 edited

Okay...a strike-induced hypothetical:

You've just won the grand prize on one of OfficeTally's contests - dinner for two with Greg Daniels. Now's your chance to tell him exactly what you'd love to see or absolutely loath to see when the strike ends and S4 resumes. What would you tell him?

I'll go first.

I'd tell him that I've stood behind everything they've done to develop the JAM storyline all the way up through the first part of S4, but I can't help being concerned about future directions. Screw tension! It is possible to make good television about a happy relationship, and that's what I want to see now. Let us enjoy JAM-happiness. They've earned it, and so have we.

Dec 18th 2007

I'd suggest watching Season 1 and Season 2 again to see how the tone of the show has changed, and ask him why he thought that was. Then I'd say that I don't think false tension between Jim and Pam would be good and let them be happy and grow together.
Then I'd suggest he let Paul Lieberstein direct more episodes, because I really liked "Money."
There's more stuff, probably, but that's what comes to mind presently.

Dec 18th 2007

I would ask him to let Steve Carell write more episodes as well. I've really liked those that he's written.

And I would thank him profusely for letting Jim and Pam get together, and lets keep it that way, by God.

Dec 18th 2007

I think I'd open with, "Why are we at Hooters? And that chicken breast joke WAS NOT funny. I think you insulted the waitress."

Dec 18th 2007

I'd order the most expensive item on the menu, so he would know I was worth it.

Dec 18th 2007

But then you'd have to put out.

Dec 18th 2007

Yeah, I'd have to put out.

Dec 18th 2007

I would tell him that he has to let me have a small bit part on the show where Michael insults/offends me...oh and to please leave Jim and Pam happy. That is all.

Dec 18th 2007 edited

I would echo mtt's sentiments on the "no fake tension" front for Jim & Pam, and then I'd ask him to please tone down the wacky antics, because they're on the verge of ruining the show. Fewer field trips, no more costumes, no more can-pissing, lake-driving, or taking-back-of-baskets-from-ungrateful-non-customers. Please.

Also, a move to HBO and nude scenes for Pam would be nice.

Dec 18th 2007

no more can-pissing

You mean to tell me you've never pissed in a bottle or can on a long car-trip?

Uhm...why's everybody looking at me that way?

Dec 18th 2007

mtt, at least one other person here has admitted to doing that. I can't remember who though.

Dec 18th 2007

Well, sure, people use cans and bottles for . . . that, but the larger point is still valid: it would be good to tone down the wacky antics in general.

Dec 18th 2007

no more can-pissing

You mean to tell me you've never pissed in a bottle or can on a long car-trip? Uhm...why's everybody looking at me that way?

We've had this conversation. Check the appropriate episode thread. (smiley face)

Dec 18th 2007

gasp You're back! I just asked about you in another thread...and I thought it was you who had talked about your can-peeing experience but didn't want to point fingers.

Dec 18th 2007

Girls can't pee in cans. It's against the law according to the rules.

Dec 18th 2007

gasp You're back!

I am but they've got me so effing busy here at work I've barely had a chance to look edgewise. I haven't even looked at any of the other threads. Looked at this one first because it was new and mtt is thread-making happy so I had to check. (smiley face) Wish I had a chance to look up the link to the peeing in a bottle conversation. Gotta run. My daycare will charge me 50 dollars if I get there two seconds late!

Dec 18th 2007

You mean to tell me you've never pissed in a bottle or can on a long car-trip?

1. No.

2. That's not what's at issue.

Dec 18th 2007 edited

What can I say, Anque? I just keep having thoughts.

Dec 19th 2007

I'd ask him to keep including some of those small, everyday, office moments. They make me smile as much as the jokes, and make the show so relatable. An example that comes to mind was from S1 or S2, when the camera catches a few different employees changing the temperature on the thermostat. Every office I've worked in has had thermostat wars.

Apr 1st 2008

How cool is this?? I started this thread several months ago, and today I get an email from Mr. Daniels himself, inviting me to lunch! He's been quietly lurking, and is so impressed by my insights into the show, and especially my defense of the staff's work on S3, that he thought picking my brain about new directions for The Office would be worthwhile.

April Fool!!

But seriously, folks. With a new Office coming our way this month I thought this thread might deserve a bump. Here's a wish I have: it concerns Michael's beloved punchline.

We've now heard Dwight, Stanley, Jan and Jim utter those four little words - TWSS. Now I want to hear Pam say them, in some appropriate situation. It wouldn't massively forward the plot or the characters in any way.

It would just give me a smile.

Apr 1st 2008

That's a popular phrase for her in the world of fanfiction.

Apr 1st 2008

Yeah, but she also "ooh's" and "ahh's" and says "oh God, YES, JIM, YES!!!" and makes other gratuitous sexual noises in fanfic. I don't think Greg is going to have her saying that on the show.

Note to Greg: If you read this, it would be okay by us if you did have Pam say that on the show.

Apr 1st 2008

Ditto on what Daoust said.

Apr 1st 2008

I was just making the observation, I doubt they'd have her say it on the show.

Apr 1st 2008

TWSS. Now I want to hear Pam say them, in some appropriate situation. It wouldn't massively forward the plot or the characters in any way.

It would just give me a smile.

she also "ooh's" and "ahh's" and says "oh God, YES, JIM, YES!!!" and makes other gratuitous sexual noises

mtt slips out the door to get his name permanently changed to Jim

Apr 1st 2008

Well, my dad's name is Jim, so no one would think it was weird. :-)

Apr 1st 2008

Well, my dad's name is Jim, so no one would think it was weird. :-)

No one on NA would think it was weird either.

Apr 1st 2008

Note to Greg: If you read this, it would be okay by us if you did have Pam say that on the show.

Noted.

Apr 1st 2008

You know, Mr. Daniels, it was roughly 15 years ago that Steve Bochco brought an unprecedented amount of sex and nudity to Prime Time TV with his groundbreaking NYPD Blue. I think it's time you revived that tradition during this "mini-season" of The Office.

Just so long as you don't give us Nude Kevin. Or Phyllis.

Apr 1st 2008

Or Creed.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 41
Top of PageBack to discussions