Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Is it too early to joke about the Lincoln assassination?: Political Discussion
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 385
  5. 386
  6. 387
  7. 388
  8. 389
  9. 390
  10. 391
  11. 392
  12. ...
  13. 394
  14. >
11641 to 11670 of 11806
Feb 28th 2014

In today's modern society, you just can't get away with being racist or discriminatory, at least in any meaningful way. YES, there is still the occasional baker who won't make a wedding cake for a gay couple, or hire a black guy, but I think we are way past the point of needing government help to protect the aggrieved parties.

See, here is our biggest difference. You see little evidence of discrimination except for a few isolated incidents. I, on the other hand, have watched in the past month the state legislature of Arizona (and seven other states to various degrees) pass a bill that legally protects discrimination. All those representatives and state senators must have believed that their constituents thought this was a good idea because we know they wouldn't risk their re-election otherwise.

That's more offensive than hardcore slavery.

At least it's not frozen yogurt....or Canada.

Feb 28th 2014

You see little evidence of discrimination except for a few isolated incidents.

Never said that. Please do not think that I believe that. The world is an awful, cruel place sometimes. I just think you have to be VERY CAREFUL before giving government the job to correct that. African Americans in 1960 needed that government protection. Gay wedding couples who want to force someone to bake a cake for them, do not. There are lots of places to go for wedding cake. Creating whole laws to force everyone to be nice will not work, and will backfire. These kinds of things can be handled by a grass roots protest, or by going somewhere else.

On the protection vs. liberty scales, you come down on the side of protection, and I come down on the side of liberty. I'm surprised that you aren't in favor of NSA wiretaps and police states, because they protect us.

Feb 28th 2014

Gay wedding couples who want to force someone to bake a cake for them, do not. There are lots of places to go for wedding cake. Creating whole laws to force everyone to be nice will not work, and will backfire. These kinds of things can be handled by a grass roots protest, or by going somewhere else.

How will they backfire? And they sure seemed to work in the 1960's. And if they can discriminate against gay couples for wedding cakes or photographs, why not every other service? Why not jobs or housing? Oh wait, they actually can be fired in most states for their sexual orientation. It's very easy to say that it's no big deal when it's not you who will be affected.

I'm surprised that you aren't in favor of NSA wiretaps and police states, because they protect us.

Except they don't.

Feb 28th 2014 edited

ack

Too soon?

Feb 28th 2014

How will they backfire?

I already told you how. The Westboro Baptist Church will come in and force you to do work for them, and you can't say no. The law doesn't say "You can only discriminate against people we ALL hate".

And if they can discriminate against gay couples for wedding cakes or photographs, why not every other service? Why not jobs or housing?

Name for me a big company that openly discriminates against gays. I'm not talking one guy who said something stupid, I'm talking about a company policy that openly discriminates. It would be suicide for any company that did that.

Feb 28th 2014

I already told you how. The Westboro Baptist Church will come in and force you to do work for them, and you can't say no.

And I told you that that would be fine. Any public business should serve any customer. they don't want to serve people they should find another line of work.

Name for me a big company that openly discriminates against gays.

So it would be okay for small companies to discriminate?

Mar 1st 2014

Name for me a big company that openly discriminates against gays.

So it would be okay for small companies to discriminate?

I don't think Jinx means that it would be good for it to happen, just that it could happen.

Mar 1st 2014

I'm saying it doesn't matter if Joe's Bakery won't make you a cake. You don't need a government law to protect you, any more than you need a government law to protect you from the rude clerk at the DMV. Crap happens, you need to deal with things yourself and not rely on government to make life perfect for you. This isn't crucial stuff.

And I told you that that would be fine.

We REALLY disagree.

Mar 1st 2014

I just think you have to be VERY CAREFUL before giving government the job to correct that.

Jim Crow was the law. Governments did that.

Mar 1st 2014

Bri, how could that possibly be true? The government is here to PROTECT us.

Mar 2nd 2014

So I take it Putin's done harassing the gays, now he's gonna harass the Ukraine?

Mar 2nd 2014

I'm afraid he has more than harassment on his mind. Sucks to live next to Russia.

Mar 2nd 2014

It would really suck to be a gay Ukrainian in the Crimea right about now.

Mar 2nd 2014

Or a gay Russian ex-pat of Ukrainian descent living in the Crimea and having failed to properly light the Olympic rings last month.

Mar 2nd 2014

Maybe Putin will claim they had weapons of mass destruction.

Mar 2nd 2014

Or that medical students were in danger.

Mar 3rd 2014

Or that if they like their puppet regime, they can keep their puppet regime.

Mar 3rd 2014

Maybe someone in the Ukraine called Putin gay...that might have set him off

Mar 5th 2014

Remember when Rocky defeated Ivan Drago and gave that speech, "If I can change, and youse can change, maybe we all can change"? Putin seems to have not learned that lesson. Maybe he needs a refresher course in getting beat up by an American.

Mar 6th 2014

And now, the latest from the Ukraine crisis, our correspondent, masturbating Cheeto man...

Mar 17th 2014

We should just tell Putin, OK, if sections of countries are now allowed to vote for secession, let's hold votes in Checneya and Ossetia and see what they want to do.

Mar 17th 2014

Come on. They had a fair public election. Democracy has spoken. And it wasn't one of those sham votes, like in Cuba or North Korea or Chicago. Three percent even voted against joining Russia. Not that not joining Russia was a choice. Reached for comment, those three percent said... Just kidding. They'll never be reached for comment again.

Mar 17th 2014

I detect sarcasm in your post, but even so...even IF the election was valid, I don't think that is grounds for annexation. I'm sure we could find parts of Canada where we could get more than 50% to vote for joining the USA. That doesn't give us the right to...

Actually, I've changed my mind. I think this is a good strategy for us.

Mar 17th 2014

I'll take Vancouver Island.

Mar 17th 2014

I'm pretty sure DC just made up that place. Canada is made up of Ontario, the Frenchy place, Gretskylvania, and the North Pole.

Mar 17th 2014

You forgot Beaverville.

Mar 18th 2014

Let's definitely take that place.

Mar 18th 2014

I know, right?

Mar 18th 2014

We can give them Intercourse, Pa., which totally fails to live up to the name. Effing Amish.

Mar 18th 2014

Effing Amish.

Well, it doesn't really sound like they are...

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 385
  5. 386
  6. 387
  7. 388
  8. 389
  9. 390
  10. 391
  11. 392
  12. ...