Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Is it too early to joke about the Lincoln assassination?: Political Discussion
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 386
  5. 387
  6. 388
  7. 389
  8. 390
  9. 391
  10. 392
  11. 393
  12. 394
  13. >
11731 to 11760 of 11806
Sep 30th 2016

I find myself doing and saying and arguing so much more than the me of ten years ago would have been comfortable with.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiis. I wouldn't have thought to put it this way, but this is exactly how I feel. I'm at red alert all the time, about stuff that used to feel kind of fruity and inconsequential.

Sep 30th 2016

I think it's liberating to get older and run out of fucks to give. It's freed me up to say a lot to people at a time when we are trying to prevent Cheeto Hitler from destroying the world. I'd like to think Young Bubblewrap would also passionately speak against racism and megalomaniacs. But Young Bubble had a different Clinton to fight for, back in the Before Time. She wouldn't have believed that her Clinton's opponent would one day not be the worst, or even the father of the worst.

I think it's good that we are fighting more. More is at stake. Also, my knees stopped working right in March and I'm just too damn tired to put up with it anymore. If I have to get older, I'm not putting up with anybody's shit.

Sep 30th 2016

I'm at red alert all the time, about stuff that used to feel kind of fruity and inconsequential.

This year the political shore line is receding in such a deadly quiet way and with such alarming speed, and instead of running, I feel like half the country is cheering as though they have some power over the ocean, as though the Brexit earthquake never even happened.

I know it's hyperbolic, but this year feels this way to me. And I feel the same powerless crazy desire to scream at everyone but at the same time run like hell.

If I have to get older, I'm not putting up with anybody's shit.

I am really enjoying this as I get older. But I wish there was more I could do to actually change minds.

Oct 1st 2016 edited

There is so much bullshit false information being perpetuated that people actually believe that I just want to rip the keys out of the hands of half of my Facebook feed.

The combination of Sanders true believers and Trump has been enough to drive me insane this year. I avoid commenting on political FB posts because who has the time to argue with someone who has little grasp of reality? But this year has really opened my eyes to the levels of racism, misogyny and xenophobia just lurking under our typical political discourse. I thought I had a good grasp on this, but I have been crushed to see how far we have to go.

Oct 1st 2016

I thought I had a good grasp on this, but I have been crushed to see how far we have to go.

This. So much this.

Oct 3rd 2016

You guys probably think I'm supporting Trump...but you would be really wrong about that.

I am just beside myself about the election this year. Hillary is everything I hate about politicians, and Trump is everything I hate about people.

I would say that Hillary's strength is experience, she is probably more of the same. But I don't think we've ever seen someone as conniving and untrustworthy as she is.

Trump's strength is probably that he approaches things from different angles than a normal politican. He looks at issues and is like, "well, here's your problem. We're doing this when we should be doing that." And if you look at his positions, I agree with most of them.

But...ughh...he is just such a bad person. I don't even mind his "Mexicans aren't sending their best" comment, which was pretty true...but I think the worst comments are his ones about Megyn Kelly, John McCain, and that disabled reporter. That is just not a person I want representing my country.

I was all in for Gary Johnson until his multiple Aleppo moments. Now I just don't know what I'm going to do. Besides, I don't smoke pot, so I'm not sure I'd be allowed in the Libertarian Party.

Also, remember when all you liberals were like "electing Romney/McCain will be the worst thing to ever happen!!! That guy is awful!!!" Now that we have someone who really would be the worst thing that ever happened, nobody believes you, because you said the same thing about Romney and McCain!

Oct 3rd 2016

USA? USA? USA?

Oct 3rd 2016

This is such an odd election. It's a sad statement about what we've come to, politically. I am a liberal, so I will be voting for the candidate that I feel will most likely advance that agenda. Am I happy about who I'm voting for? Not exactly. I supported Sanders, although he was a bit radical, even for me, but sadly, he's not the nominee.

Oct 3rd 2016

I respected Sanders...even though I disagreed with him. He seems like a guy who is in politics for the right reasons.

Oct 3rd 2016 edited

It's weird to have known almost since January there would not be a candidate I could bring myself to vote for. So I'll waste my already meaningless non-swing-state vote on a write-in and try to make every down-ballot vote count.

Oct 3rd 2016

New York...where your vote hasn't mattered since 1984.

Oct 3rd 2016

Now that we have someone who really would be the worst thing that ever happened, nobody believes you, because you said the same thing about Romney and McCain!

Sorry, Republicans are solely responsible for their own stupidity. No trying to pass that dubious achievement on to us.

Nov 8th 2016

You guys.

Nov 9th 2016

Right?

Nov 9th 2016

Come on up, friends!

Seriously though, how could the polls be so wrong? How is it that the massive left-wing liberal media outlets of the east and west coast fool us, bamboozle us so easily? Who honestly could say they saw this coming? Probably all those Midwestern states could have, if they had media control. These are strange days, friends. Let's keep cool heads, and suppress the fear mongering as best we can.

"Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand / but I know Who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand." - Ira Stanphill

Nov 9th 2016

I like to think I had a pretty good handle on the pulse of America, and I was completely wrong about this result. As I was wrong about the primaries. As I was wrong about the 2012 election. I just don't know nothing about anything, I guess.

I do enjoy seeing all the people planning on leaving the country, and all the hand wringing about "the American people are too stupid to have the power to elect a president, us elites need to take over this responsibility..." That attitude is probably why he won.

Nov 9th 2016

Come on up, friends!

Little known fact...Trump is building a Canadian wall too. And the French are paying for it.

Nov 9th 2016

I don't want to open the depressed thread, so I'll paste this here, from a private thing on Facebook.

I should probably wait until later in the day to be thankful, because I'm deeply depressed and genuinely afraid today. I have to adult, though, even though I wanted to stay home today. I was tempted, for the first time and likely the last, to call in sick to the job I love, the job I ache to be at when I'm off. But adulting, even on autopilot, is how we do things. It's gotten me through the worst times in my life: the death of my father, 9/11, numerous personal crises. It's what we model for our children, so we can convince ourselves, too, that everything will be ok. So I'm here at work, knowing that holding this baby would soothe my soul and encourage me to remember I'm a fierce, protective adult who unflinchingly faces the fires to protect the vulnerable. So what am I thankful for on this rainy, dark day? A bluebird, can you believe it? A bluebird, even if I don't know why. Somehow, the image, upon my arrival at work, of a Stellars Jay catching a fat worm and then hop-flying to a fence post to enjoy it, holds a key piece of my recuperation from my hopelessness. I get to think about it, while the sleeping baby's warm, relaxed little body physically calms me. His warmth is melting, slowly but with inexorable certitude, the icy, locked cage within which my heart, in a panic, flutters. Perhaps my heartbeat will regulate and calm itself, if he sleeps long enough. But the bird is the key. Life goes on, it proves. Proud-crested, oblivious to our national upheaval, to the rain. Eating worms. Out there doing what bluebirds are supposed to do. Adulting.

Nov 9th 2016

I don't get how anyone was surprised. I didn't want this result. I didn't want any of the possible results, really... but I was definitely not at all surprised by it.

I thought she had a chance, but not a great chance. I was sure he was going to win. I should have bet on it, I guess.

Oh, well.

Nov 9th 2016

Life goes on, it proves.

Right, right, right. The president is not our life. It's one point in a million things. I don't even care.

Nov 10th 2016

"The American white-collar class just spent the year rallying around a super-competent professional (who really wasn’t all that competent) and either insulting or silencing everyone who didn’t accept their assessment. And then they lost. Maybe it’s time to consider whether there’s something about shrill self-righteousness, shouted from a position of high social status, that turns people away.

The even larger problem is that there is a kind of chronic complacency that has been rotting American liberalism for years, a hubris that tells Democrats they need do nothing different, they need deliver nothing really to anyone – except their friends on the Google jet and those nice people at Goldman. The rest of us are treated as though we have nowhere else to go and no role to play except to vote enthusiastically on the grounds that these Democrats are the “last thing standing” between us and the end of the world. It is a liberalism of the rich, it has failed the middle class, and now it has failed on its own terms of electability. Enough with these comfortable Democrats and their cozy Washington system. Enough with Clintonism and its prideful air of professional-class virtue. Enough!"

• Thomas Frank, The Guardian
Nov 10th 2016 edited

Right, right, right. The president is not our life. It's one point in a million things. I don't even care.

Not to be difficult, but some of us do care. We care about Roe vs Wade, LBGT rights, ACA, SCOTUS, the rights of women and minorities, all of which will be wiped out if Trump stays true to his campaign rhetoric. I have black, Hispanic and Muslim friends who are terrified now. They don't have the luxury of not caring. And I care deeply about them, so I don't have that luxury either.

I keep hearing, "Oh, he was just saying those things to appeal to his base, he won't really be that way when he's President." I'll skip past the horror I feel that those ideas were so appealing to such a large mass of people, and ask a question: If that's true, if he doesn't plan on governing in concert with his rhetoric, then what separates him from any of the establishment politicians his voters were railing so vigorously against? Am I being asked to believe now, that his constituency has been duped? I can only hope that's true.

Nov 11th 2016

I don't get it...I have white friends on Facebook who say they are apologizing to black people (because that's what black people need...a white person to apologize and explain things to them).

What exactly did Trump ever say that scares black people or gay people? I'm looking for specific examples. If I was an illegal alien living here, yes, I might be a bit scared. If I was planning on the government giving me "free" health care, yes, I might be scared. I can even see how environmentalists should be upset. But I don't know what a woman or a black person or a gay person would have to fear from a Trump administration.

This is coming from someone who is not a fan of Trump. But I accept him, just like I accepted Obama as my president.

Nov 11th 2016

Hmm...did Dftf disappear from everyone's Facebook feed? Or did he just block all his conservative friends? I have not posted anything publicly about politics or the election, nor have I even talked to him on FB for a while, so I don't think that's it. If he truly has dropped off of Facebook, I am worried about him...especially with what's going on in Portland right now.

Nov 11th 2016

I keep hearing, "Oh, he was just saying those things to appeal to his base

VG, I agree with you 100% on this part. I think he just says things that he thinks will appeal to some voter group. I guess it's the same way I think about Hillary or any politician crafting her answers to appeal to this group without totally pissing off that group. It doesn't bother me that much...although I wish they wouldn't do that.

Nov 11th 2016

that tells Democrats they need do nothing different, they need deliver nothing really to anyone

Gosh, I wonder if the Republicans, who decided on Jan. 19, 2009 to oppose Obama at every step, had anything to do with this? Such a puzzler.

Nov 11th 2016

But I don't know what a woman or a black person or a gay person would have to fear from a Trump administration.

Are you serious?

Nov 11th 2016

Are you serious?

Go ahead, have at me.

Nov 11th 2016

I really don't want to fight about it. I'm just hoping that certain groups, like the ones you mentioned, won't become marginalized once again, or even more marginalized than they are now.

That's all.

Nov 11th 2016

Sounds like we are in 100% agreement on that.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 386
  5. 387
  6. 388
  7. 389
  8. 390
  9. 391
  10. 392
  11. 393
  12. 394