Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
NA in Vegas, Baby?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 57
Jan 9th 2008

Maybe it's the crappy weather. Maybe it's despondency over Hillary's win in NH (stupid NH!). For whatever the reason, I need a vacation. Anyone else?

I brought this up on another thread, but only as a casual thought. Now I'm really wondering if there is any interest in organizing an NA Get-Together in Sin City sometime in the next few months. If there isn't, I'll drop the subject.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Jan 9th 2008

I would really love to meet up with you guys and gals. I think it would be awesome blossom with extra awesome. Unfortunately, speaking for myself, the chance of me ever getting to one of your American locales for a meet up is very very slim. But just because I can't go doesn't mean I don't think you should do it; I think you should and I think you'd have lots of fun.

On another forum I visit there are about 300 faithful posters from all over the US. They have been having meet ups for years, and they always take pictures to show the rest of us. I think they were able to have those meet ups because a) this other forum is a people centred forum. Its based on the premise of meeting, getting to know, and understand people through discussions on religion, sex, politics, and pretty much every other topic. b) As members of this forum, they made it a priority as a group to have meet ups, and the members of the group wanted to do it, and c) there were enough people in the group that there was often more than one person from each major centre, like NY and LA and Miama, so opportunities for meet ups were increased by the sheer number of people in the group.

That being said, NA's focus or centre is around a television show. Yes, that gives us a unified purpose, but we all came here for the show. To talk of the show. Not necessarily for social networking purposes. Secondly, meet ups were never really what this forum was about. We really only know each other on a very superficial level, and because there are no pictures or visuals, (except through links, I know) we don't even know what most of us even look like. Thirdly, when it comes down to it, we're a pretty small group of regular contributors, spread pretty thinly across the continent.

I know that there's room for refutation for each of my points above, but I think they collectively speak to the reasons not just why we haven't had meetups in the past, but also but also the reasons why the possibility of starting one up now is difficult, at best.
Notice I didn't say impossible. Like I said above, I think it would be great if you all could get together. Especially if you want to come up here to Canada to have a meet up. I think that would be awesome. If unlikely.

Jan 9th 2008 edited

10 years ago I was very active on The Bronze, the fansite for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So this was a group that was initially brought together by a TV show. However, it didn't take long before the conversation expanded to every topic under the sun (as has happened here). We used to do RL meet-ups all the time. In the years we were active I traveled to LA (several times), NYC (twice), San Antonio, Nashville and Atlantic City. There was a large Vegas trip to which I was unable to go. Several times groups from around the country came to visit Chicago, where I lived at the time. So...not outside the realm of possibility.

All it would take is the decision.

Jan 9th 2008

Was this in the days when air travel wasn't so expensive that you practically have to remortgage your house every time you wanna fly out of state or province?

I think it would run me close to $1500 to fly return to LV. I assume its gotta be much cheaper flying within the States, but still. That's a lot of guacamole.

Jan 9th 2008

I just found a roundtrip ticket from Chicago to Vegas for $188.

Jan 9th 2008

Is the dogsled not working, Daoust?

Jan 9th 2008 edited

Daoust shakes his fist at griefbone

Why I oughta!!!!

Edit I just saw that Air Canada is having a seat sale from now till March and I saw I could get to LV for about $700 return, so maybe my initial guess was a little high. Still, when you're as po' as we, $700 bucks may as well be $1500 or $15,000 because I don't have any of those amounts of free cash just sitting around.

Second Edit The $700 tickets were for off season rates. If I wanted to go with my wife to Vegas during my March Break (which is the only time I could go) it would cost me, as expected, about $1500. So this second edit is just to say I was right. The first time.

Jan 9th 2008

Why not plan a meet-up in Scranton each year, since we are centered around the TV show.

I'd like to say the convention would be a good time, but I don't know if they'll do that every year or not. I'd rather not rely on it.

Would it be less expensive for you, Daoust to fly into Buffalo? You could catch a ride to Scranton with the New York Gang (Jinx, Brian, and I.)

Also, we could just meet up in a major hub like Buffalo, New York or Dallas.

Now, detractors: I'm not going on any trips without my family. That said, I think there are quite a few of us who have young ones. Centering a get-together around a place like Wolf Lodge or something might be fun.

That's an awful lot of effort though. Are we sure we really want to meet each other that badly though? (Just keepin' it real.)

Jan 9th 2008

I won't fly any further than Vegas because I'm scared and I get claustrophobic. That's one of the reasons I mostly vacation in Vegas or go fishing for fun. That and the plane tickets are only $36 each way and I can park for free at the airport.

Vegas is a great place because there's something for everyone. It's a total arena of non-stop entertainment. Since I don't sleep much, I like a city that never sleeps. Mr. TO never worries about me staying out all night because the place is full of security cameras and security officers.

There's plenty to do with the kids if you make it a family trip too. Some of the Hotels like Circus, Circus cater especially to children. They have a theme park while many hotels have rides. For an extended vacation you can visit the Grand Canyon via helicopter. The CES show is going on now. I would have liked to stay for that but since it got so big, only those in the industry are permitted to attend now.

There are so many offers available that the vacation usually costs very little, that is if you can stay away from the one-armed bandits. There are many who gamble and make enough to pay for their entire trip. I'm not endorsing that though.

Don't factor me in when you guys decide. I'm just one little person and if the East is more practical for most, then that's what you should do.

Jan 9th 2008

Well, I'm in the middle so I can go both ways. (There - I just gave someone a gift)

I suggested Vegas because:

1. I've never been there

2. TO really talked it up when she got back from her trip

3. We seem to have more West Coasters than East Coasters (of course, I could be wrong on that)

That's an awful lot of effort though. Are we sure we really want to meet each other that badly though? (Just keepin' it real.)

I guess we're going to find out, based on the response to this thread.

Jan 9th 2008

I probably wouldn't go. It would seem like a lot of fun, but then when I started to calculate the hassle... just not worth it. That may be a perk for the rest of you.

Were I to go, I would only stay at the Flamingo Hilton. I was duly unimpressed with Caesar's Palace when I was there two years ago, starting with the lack of ice buckets in the rooms. Plus it lacked pink velvet and the pool area at the Flamingo is way better.

I don't think most people are on the west... I just think we talk the most because of the time difference.

Jan 9th 2008

I would love to meet you guys but if I had a few days and some money to spare I would spend it with my family. Also...those pictures of the ugly bald guy I'm pretending to be? That guy is a lot better looking than the real me. :-)

Jan 9th 2008

I was definitely in if Karen and Jinx were going. Kind of up in the air now, though.

Jan 9th 2008

That KarenX...ruined all our plans! Boy, she really Karened it, didn't she. Kind of a word they use around here, when someone totally messes things up.

Jan 9th 2008

What's that story about Karen? Something involving laundry and betrayal?

Jan 9th 2008 edited

Toosie couldn't come. Unless it was like, in Charlotte or Greensboro. Or Bluefield WV. Or East Tennessee. I don't really go that far from home.

It'd be too expensive of a trip, for me, no matter where it was. Well, unless it was with my 2-3 hour radius. Anywhere I'd have to fly to, I'd have to drive a couple of hours (at the very least 1.5 hours) before I'd be able to fly. (I mean, to an airport. Not just that I like to drive a lot before flying.)

I love you guys, but I can't.

Jan 9th 2008

the ugly bald guy I'm pretending to be? That guy is a lot better looking than the real me. :-)

As a handsome female I can attest that this shouldn't matter. If we've learned anything from Brian, it should at least be that we should not be afraid to show the real us to our fellow NAers, no matter what we look or sound like.

Jan 9th 2008

What no retort?

Do I have to put that I was joking after a post so that people will understand? (Actually, if we've learned anything from Brian, it's probably that. :)

Jan 9th 2008

When I read that, I thought "oh, snap!" but I was waiting to see what Brian replied with. I think he's still stuck at pudding...pudding...pudding. Give him a minute.

Jan 9th 2008

Yeah, I never write "only joking!". If it comes to that with you guys, then it's all over. If I really have something bad to say to you, you'll know it.

I thought that was hilarious, Anque. Especially since Brian is a lot better looking than me.

I'm not gay.

Jan 9th 2008 edited

Especially since Brian is a lot better looking than me.

I'm not gay.

See? I try to take a poke at Brian and it turns into a Brian lovefest.

(Serious sidenote:

Yeah, I never write "only joking!". If it comes to that with you guys, then it's all over.

I agree, Jinx. It would be a shame if we had to put <only joking> on the bottom of all of our posts. Also,

If I really have something bad to say to you, you'll know it.

Yeah! <insert something bad about Jinx here>!

Jan 9th 2008

I try to take a poke at Brian and it turns into a Brian lovefest.

That's what they all say, and have said.

Jan 9th 2008

I try to take a poke at Brian and it turns into a Brian lovefest.

A man could have even slipped in. There'd be no way of knowing.

Jan 9th 2008

I tried typing a witty comeback, but it was hard to see the screen. You see, I've been slicing onions.

See? I try to take a poke at Brian and it turns into a Brian lovefest.

Mission accomplished.

Jan 9th 2008

You see, I've been slicing onions.

He's been making a lasagna.

For one.

Jan 9th 2008

I really think we should start using "making lasagna" as a euphemism for the hibbity-dibbity.

And by hibbity-dibbity, I mean sex. I'm talking about sex.

Jan 9th 2008

If that's the case, Fishin', my above statement takes on an entirely different meaning.

Jan 9th 2008

Hey now.

Jan 9th 2008 edited

You see, I've been slicing onions.

He's been making a lasagna. For one.

I really think we should start using "making lasagna" as a euphemism for the hibbity-dibbity. And by hibbity-dibbity, I mean sex. I'm talking about sex.

If that's the case, Fishin', my above statement takes on an entirely different meaning.

Wait. By hurling an insult at Brian, I made him have sex with himself?

(eta: Was it good for you, Brian? Cuz I guess I could do that more often.)

Jan 9th 2008

That kind of thing does turn people on, Madam.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 57
Top of PageBack to discussions