Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Sell paper so we can go on a trip
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 220
Feb 2nd 2008 edited

Here it is - early February. For those of us in the northern latitudes spring is a long ways a way, it's dark and bleak, and the urge to be "anywhere but here" (to quote Buffy) can get really strong.

SO...if you had the time and unlimited budget where would you like to go? And why do you dream of going there?

If it were me, we'd start in Ravenna, Italy. It's a city that's been virtually frozen in time since the 6th century, and has the largest and finest intact collection of late antique architecture and art in the world. I've always wanted to go there.

Then we'd spend a few days in Venice (want to see it before it sinks). There we'd get on a cruise ship that would take us down the Adriatic and around the Peloponnese, dropping us off at all the best spots to do some exploring. The cruise would continue on to Athens, where we'd have a week or so to see all the sights, with day trips to Delphi and Mt. Olympos. Then we'd finish up with a couple of weeks cruising the islands of the Aegean before ending up at Istanbul.

Oh, and did I mention that Jenna would be my traveling companion? Yeah, I figure she's got a lot of free time right now and may be getting a little bored, so...

Of course, if I were on a cruise ship with Jenna I'd probably never leave my stateroom, but...

Feb 2nd 2008

Funny you brought this up now, MTT. I have spent a good chunk of the day looking at Facebook groups devoted to different countries of the world. I was looking at Africa, Hawaii and New Zealand.

I think I would like to go to New Zealand first. It's just got such a diversity of landscapes. All the pictures I've seen of it just blow me away.

Hawaii looks great too, and I credit Lost with making me want to see this place. It just looks so lush and picturesque.

I have relatives in Kenya and I've seen lots of pictures of that area too and it is absolutely breath-taking. I think it would be an amazing trip.

I should also put a plug in for Canadian tourism. They say that Newfoundland is our prettiest province and the landscape there is amazing too. I've never been, so I should definitely try to get there once before I die.

Feb 2nd 2008

Denny's.

Feb 2nd 2008

Denny's.

That's it, Brian. Shoot for the stars.

Daoust: You may want to wait for things to quiet down in Kenya, first.

I've never been to the Maritimes, but would love to visit them one day. I believe there's a big Celtic music festival ever year in Nova Scotia, and I'd also like to see Newfoundland.

Maybe in the summer, though. I've had enough of winter to last me ten years!

Feb 2nd 2008

Newfoundland...I've never been

I thought you lived in Newfoundland, Daoust. I mean, you're in Eastern Canada. That's Newfoundland.

Feb 2nd 2008

That's it, Brian. Shoot for the stars.

I'll settle for a Grand Slam Breakfast. Or Moons Over My Hammy.

Feb 2nd 2008 edited

No, 2C, I live urther northeast. But yes, technically, we are both in 'eastern Canada'

Feb 2nd 2008

I love mussels. When I think of PEI, I always think of mussels. Even before I think of cold weather. Plus, it's beautiful. My in-laws went there a couple of years ago, and their pictures are gorgeous.

Feb 2nd 2008

Daoust, my mother doesn't know it yet but she wants to come visit you. She's a huge Anne of Green Gables fan. Has been her whole life.

Feb 2nd 2008 edited

Daoust, I bet it's great living on that island. Too bad that it's surrounded by Canada.

And that it's part of Canada.

On the plus side, you'll be one of the first new Americans when we start inching north.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Feb 2nd 2008

Zing!

Will the mussels be American citizens then, too? Because I would hate to steam an American citizen in white wine and garlic. But I will if I must.

Feb 2nd 2008

Because I would hate to steam an American citizen in white wine and garlic. But I will if I must.

Every good decision has unfortunate consequences.

Feb 2nd 2008

ending up at Istanbul.

Not Constantinople?

Denny's

But if you went to IHOP you could get a Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity

I want to go to England, Ireland, and Scotland. The land of my white bread fore fathers (and mothers).

Feb 2nd 2008

Every good decision has unfortunate consequences.

Wise words. I'm hungry now.

Feb 2nd 2008

I want to go to England, Ireland

I've been to Ireland once and England several times. But, if given carte blanche, I'd like to see the eastern Mediterranean. Center of the classical world, and all that. Also, warmer and sunnier than here. But, right now, what isn't.

Feb 2nd 2008

I've never made it out of the continental US in all of my 27 years :( One of these days...

Feb 2nd 2008

No, no, no! You guys aren't doing this right at all!

You're not limited by financial or other realities. You can go anywhere in the world! Where would you like to go? What would you like to see? Everything is possible!

Now, dream, dammit!

Feb 2nd 2008

Thailand, I think.

Feb 2nd 2008

Because I would hate to steam an American citizen in white wine and garlic. But I will if I must.

I don't blame you for feeling that way. They're much better fra diavolo. Mussels, that is, not Americans. I've never tried them either way.

Feb 2nd 2008

I'm going to sail around the world one day. That's my ultimate trip and I'm saving up to do it.

All I need is:

• sailboat
  • supplies
  • Scarlett Johansson as sailing companion

Obviously, the third would be a bit tricky... but you asked ultimate trip!

Feb 2nd 2008

Thailand, I think.

mtt suddenly has One Night in Bangkok stuck in his head.

Feb 2nd 2008

Now, see? ctf has the point of this down.

Feb 2nd 2008 edited

I want to go on a tour of France, Italy, Germany, and Austria with my best friends from college. But none of us have any money.

Feb 2nd 2008 edited

I have always wanted to go to Sweden. I have friends there that I've never even met, only conversed with on the net. I'm Swedish, and grew up near a little town called Lindsborg, which is also called "Little Sweden", and ever since I was a little girl, that's where I've wanted to go. Oh. And because I always had a crush on Bjorn Borg.

eta: Great thread, mtt.

Feb 2nd 2008

PV: Do you want to see all the "music" places? Or do those countries interest you and your friends in a general way?

Perhaps you guys should form a chamber ensemble. Then you could actually be paid for touring those places! :-)

eta: Great thread, mtt. - Thanks! I thought we could all have some fun with it as the February Drearies start to set in. Oh, and do Swedes eat lutefiske, too, or is that just Norwegians?

Because what could be yummier than slabs of codfish soaked in lye? :-)

Feb 2nd 2008

I feel like Thailand is like Hawaii but with better food. Plus they don't have to bring all their goods in from the mainlaind so it's gotta be cheaper. Hawaiian food is terrible (in general--the local Hawaiian cuisine is yummy but they cook everything badly) but you don't really go for the food. Thailand, however. I'd buy one of those pointy goddess hats!

Feb 2nd 2008

I never thought of Thailand as like Hawaii, exactly, but it would be interesting. In fact, South Asia in general is a place I'd like to visit. Not Pakistan or Bangladesh, so much. I'm not really interested in any hardcore Muslim countries - no bars! But I'd like to tour India and Sri Lanka some day. And Thailand, also, seems like a fascinating country.

With plenty of bars!

Feb 2nd 2008 edited

Assuming I'd be able to hire people who were fluent in English and the local languages, in rough order of itinerary:

• Tokyo
  • Osaka, where I would do their "corruption through consupmption" tour
  • Hiroshima
  • Beijing
  • Hong Kong
  • Saigon
  • Darwin, Australia
  • Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Perth (world's most isolated population center over 1 000 000)
  • Mumbai
  • Delhi
  • Cairo
  • Jerusalem
  • Damascus
  • Cyprus
  • Athens
  • Sarajevo
  • Florence
  • Rome
  • Palermo
  • Tunis
  • Cordoba
  • Santiago de Compostela to visit the shrine of Saint James, Son of Thunder
  • London
  • Yorkshire Dales
  • Ediburgh
  • Glasgow
  • Belfast
  • Back to London, never thence to depart.
Feb 2nd 2008

Hmmm, a sailing tour of the South Pacific then on to Japan.

Feb 2nd 2008

Also Norway. One trip in summer and one in winter, for the lingering daylight and northern lights.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 220
Top of PageBack to discussions