Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I would say the Finer Things Club is the gayest thing about me: Book Discussion
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 171
Feb 16th 2008

We discuss books and art, and culture in a very civilized way. It's very exclusive. Naturally, it's where you need to be.

As an exclusive club, membership is by invitation only. (The open invitation to join this club.) However, if you have not been invited and would still like to join, you may wish to consider what financial contribution you can make to our discretionary funds, and/or provide a recommendation letter from former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum.

We are reading Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. I envision this to be a fairly casual event. If you have any questions, comments, complaints, feel free to post whenever. Since we all read at different paces, label your post with a spoiler warning (For example, Spoilers through Chapter 4). I think that'll be easier than picking a date for everyone to finish.

Feb 16th 2008

My public library has the book. If you all will have me then I'm in, too.

Feb 16th 2008

I read the prologue this morning.

Feb 16th 2008

So now it's a race?

Feb 16th 2008

No...I was just in must-do-anything-to-avoid-real-work mode. Chances are I won't get to the rest until I finish Obama's book.

Feb 16th 2008

This idea, 'tis finer than a pot o'gold.

Feb 16th 2008

Will there be chips and dip?

Feb 16th 2008

Are y'all going to wear hats?

'Cause I think you should wear hats. Or, perhaps, scarves.

Feb 17th 2008

I read the prologue last night, and skimmed part of the first chapter. I'm kinda a skimmer, so while I might not have a lot to add as we read the book, I'll at least be able to keep up with this thread instead of just graying it out, like I do with the sports thread.

Feb 18th 2008

I looked at the library for the book, but it's checked out right now and isn't due until the beginning of April. I'll try to catch up as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Feb 18th 2008

How can someone check it out for that long? I would just recall it.

Feb 18th 2008

e-star,

Wah.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Will bitchiness or procrastinating about getting the book be more likely to get me kicked out sooner?

Feb 18th 2008

Talking in an poor Irish accent will do it.

Feb 18th 2008

Well, there were plenty of copies in the San Diego public library system and I requested it tonight, so I should have the book this week. I bet Thursday.

Feb 18th 2008

Mmm, cheese.

Feb 19th 2008

Mmmm, wine.

But not at 7 AM, because I'm not that big an alkie.

Feb 19th 2008

I think my screen name automatically means I won't make it in the club, even with a monetary contribution. Or that I will end up getting kicked out of the club for not reading the book and monopolizing the conversation by trying to be funny. Oh well, the boob thread is my back up and in defense of Season 3 is my saftey.

Feb 19th 2008

Or that I will end up getting kicked out of the club for not reading the book and monopolizing the conversation by trying to be funny.

Gosh, I hope we can't get kicked off by monopolizing by trying to be funny. If that's the case, I would have been kicked off this whole shebang a long time ago.

And everyone's welcome at Daoust's Boob Thread!

Feb 19th 2008

Wow. You went there. Good work, griefbone!

Feb 19th 2008

Especially if we have boobs.

Feb 19th 2008

Especially if we have boobs.

Which I totally do!

Feb 19th 2008

Be careful when entering though. Instead of trying to shake your hand to welcome you, he might go straight for the boob.

Feb 19th 2008

Boob=Canadian hand.

Feb 19th 2008

Canadian=Boob.

Feb 21st 2008 edited

I read Chapter 3 last night. So, I guess what I'm about to post might be spoilers, but I don't really think so. But just in case, here is my official spoiler warning:

SPOILER WARNING

In this chapter, there were several instances of:

*Not his real name

Reading about the families and how complex they easily become, I couldn't help but think - That guy might really have a brother named Whatever Fakename. It might not be the guy they're talking about, but he could still have a brother with that name, and now the brother with a low-profile has had his name used in this book.

I don't know if I phrased that clearly, but hopefully you guys know what I mean.

Feb 21st 2008

So long as they all brush their teeth at night, I don't care what the author calls 'em.

Feb 21st 2008

I'm sorry.

I publicly apologize to everyone for my dental hygiene habits.

I'm sorry.

Feb 21st 2008

Just be as glad that I kept my mouth shut and didn't make a crack about it in the slumber party banter--despite a great set-up--as I am glad that you have been keeping your mouth shut.

Feb 24th 2008

So I got an email telling me that I will be able to pick the book up from the library as soon as I want to, which is good news...except I got another email telling me that the copy of Atonement I checked out and am still reading (I've only gotten through the first 100 pages) is being recalled and I have to turn it back in next week. Definitely a win-lose situation, and it's not pretty.

Feb 24th 2008

My book arrived yesterday (not Thursday) and I am finding myself skimming some stuff but not real stuff. It is interesting to me that Elizabeth Smart appears in the book; what is more interesting to me is how many references there have been to "indoctrination" into the Mormon religion. I think that in America, Mormonism is viewed in a skeptical way that no other Christian religions are viewed and it's definitely coming through in the book with a not completely respectful tone--the regular Mormonism, too. I will be interested after I finish the book to see what kind of reactions it got.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 171
Top of PageBack to discussions