Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I would say the Finer Things Club is the gayest thing about me: Book Discussion
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
151 to 171 of 171
Apr 10th 2008

Nicely played, Toosie

Jun 3rd 2009

I've started reading The Princess Bride to my small class of Alt. Ed students, and I've got them hooked in the first 40 pages. It is such a great book.

Jun 3rd 2009

What? It's a book?

Jun 3rd 2009 edited

Indeed it is, Anque. And as usual, the book is even better than the movie. It's even funnier, believe it or not.

I did a search because I was pretty sure we've talked about the book here before, and indeed we did, in the politics thread, back in early December last year. MTT agreed with me, as did Karen, about the book being very good.

Jun 3rd 2009

It's even funnier, believe it or not.

I concur. But it's also quite different from the movie, and contains some meditations about growing old, and losing the sense of wonder/magic, etc.

Jun 3rd 2009

I had no idea that it is a book. That's going on my summer reading list.

Jun 3rd 2009

I'm currently reading the Left Behind series. Just finished book one. Previously I could only get through half of it without feeling guilty.

Jun 3rd 2009

I can't decide what's worse about those books, the writing or the theology.

I've decided. It's the theology.

Jun 3rd 2009

What makes you say that?

Jun 3rd 2009

Check out the God thread for some background on mtt's views re: religion.

Jun 3rd 2009

mtt, have you ever looked at this site? It's an almost page by page take down of the crap that is Left Behind. As for the writing vs. theology debate, it's almost impossible to decide.

Jun 3rd 2009 edited

Check out the God thread for some background on mtt's views re: religion.

Absolutely, ss. We don't shy away from talking about religion or politics around here, but it really is best to keep those contained in their respective threads. Personally, I'd love to see a discussion about those books as I am disinclined to touch them with a ten-foot-pole.

Jun 3rd 2009

I read the first book in that series years and years ago. Did not care for it.

Jun 3rd 2009

A long time ago, I borrowed a book from my friend's mother that was about this weird event. All the men disappeared, and the women had to cope with that. But the other half of the book was about how all the women disappeared, and the men had to cope with that, and what each society looked like for twenty years, and then they were reunited in the same place again. I've looked intermittently for this book online, but maybe I'll look more seriously. I can't remember if there was more to it but novelty.

For the record, I borrowed that book and Children of Men on the same day. That was a good book, too, albeit very different in from the movie in just about every way.

Jun 3rd 2009

How many book threads do we have?

Jun 3rd 2009

The book box thread doesn't count. It's about a box.

Jun 3rd 2009

I thought that's what the bajingo thread was about.

Sorry. I had to.

Dec 17th 2009

Other facts in that book that are false: The Spaniards no longer have a stranglehold on Cuba, Dr. Naismith's crazy "basket-ball" game is no longer a fad, and the Irish can now indeed not only vote but also stand for elected office. Also, the Kaiser has long since been removed as a threat on the world stage and it turns out that Jews do not in fact run all the world's banks.

Nov 3rd 2011

I have since found out--and posted--the title of the book I mentioned above somewhere in this very forum, in the past few weeks, actually, except that I have forgotten the title anew in the meantime.

Nov 12th 2011

I am officially the last person in America to read "Moneyball." At 20% in, it's a very quick read so far, even for me. Lots of Mets early on, too. Fun fact: Lenny Dykstra was an unintelligent fellow.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
151 to 171 of 171
Top of PageBack to discussions