Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Lend James a hand
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 169
Mar 2nd 2008 edited

Check out Coming Attractions for more details. Suffice it to say that I'm working on a new online community for television fans, and I'm looking for input from you guys. Please post any suggestions you might have in this thread.

Mar 2nd 2008 edited

Sad news about NA, James. Especially when we're just about to start new episodes again. But your next big thing sounds pretty exciting! Let's hope it becomes as awesome as NA!

Mar 2nd 2008

So, please let me get this straight. The Watercooler will continue to function, but independent of the larger Northern Attack website?

Mar 2nd 2008

I'm confused too.

Mar 2nd 2008 edited

Precisely correct, more than that. Business at The Watercooler (http://forums.northernattack.com/) will continue normally, and I intend to keep it up and running for as long as the community remains active. Northern Attack the blog (http://www.northernattack.com) will remain online and fully functional but will not be updated. This could very well change at some point in the future given the right circumstances, but this is the situation for now.

To quote a bit from my original posting (now amended to clarify things): think of this less as the end of Northern Attack and more like the beginning of something better.

Mar 2nd 2008

Well, that's a relief, anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

Mar 2nd 2008

Kind of a bummer about NA. Does no updates mean no new episode threads in The Watercooler?

Mar 2nd 2008 edited

DC, I will continue to post new episode threads here at the usual time (approximately one week before the episode airs).

Mar 2nd 2008

Well, I'm happy about larger-than-life projects that the designers themselves can hardly get their heads around!

What I really like about this forum is NO PICTURES anywhere. No sigs are nice, too, but not a dealbreaker if they are short.

What I wish we had was a way to search for comments by user name. And a way to jump ahead some pages when search results do come up (as opposed to scrolling through pages one by one).

Since, you know, you asked.

Mar 2nd 2008 edited

Of course, KarenM. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be the first to admit that the forums experience here is far from perfect. For instance, the whole practice of manually bolding someone's name to highlight the text? Yeah, a little cumbersome (though I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of people here who have stuck to the convention). You can bet that'll be improved upon.

Mar 3rd 2008

I think the Watercooler has been enjoyable for me for a couple of reasons. First, as Michael Scott once explained, "it's the people". The group of regulars here are the 'Cooler are really fantastic people. I mostly enjoy the humour here, but the same people whose jokes I laugh at daily are the ones who also are there to offer sincere advice or pertinent information. As the regulars, I think we have all agreed to an unwritten code of respect for each other and for any new comers, who are always welcomed with open e-arms. As a community, we come from a variety of different walks and talks, with differences in beliefs and opinions, and yet we have all gotten along well together because we respect those differences. This being said, anyone who comes in who chooses not to be respectful or mature is very quickly shown the door, and I think that is exactly what needs to be done to keep this place as awesome as it is. To continue on the above point, I enjoy is the way the moderators run the place in James' absence. They are not militant, or unfair, and they don't think they're these holier-than-thou gods who must not be provoked, and who come down hard on people for posting in the wrong place or committing some rookie poster mistake. The mods can make or break a discussion forum. I think the mods here have done an excellent job, and I commend them for it.
Tied in with point two is that I like that, while this forum is primarily for Office talk, non-Office talk spills over into every thread on here. This is a good thing because posters obviously feel comfortable sharing things about themselves here and I believe they feel freer to do so because the environment is not militaristic.
I love the fact that this forum is all about the posts. It's not about flashy graphics or avatars or (what I feel are) silly distractions like that. If it were about those things, I think there would be a different group of members here. I think the lack of those flashy things has served as a filter, in a sense, perhaps keeping away those people who aren't really interested in the kinds of conversations we tend to gravitate towards here. If I were to make any further suggestions for a new forum, I would say that I will only join it if I am not given a title. I don't want to be The Canadian Guy or whatever else people call me. I just want to be Daoust. I'm sure MTT understands what I mean by that.

Mar 3rd 2008

I don't want to be The Canadian Guy or whatever else people call me. I just want to be Daoust. I'm sure MTT understands what I mean by that.

Nope. Haven't got a clue. ;-D

Mar 3rd 2008

Daoust's comment hit the spot, as did KarenM's. I like the clean, spare design of this forum, and don't think it would be improved by wacky graphics and pictures. Good luck with the new venture, James! I'm sure we'll all invade the new stuff too.

Mar 3rd 2008

Yes! Well said Daoust. I agree that the lack of flashy graphics does act sort of like a filter. I suppose the new format would depend on what the intended audience is for the big project? I prefer the direction of reinventing the wheel though.

Details are not too detailed on the new project, are you able to give any more away James? Maybe we can help you brainstorm parts you're stuck at. Really glad you're getting some more time for yourself and your projects the next few months!

Mar 3rd 2008

The Bo0--, oops, Daoust took the words out of our collective mouths, James. You've discovered the formula for civil online discourse, as these forums demonstrate. In lieu of perfection, that's a pretty good accomplishment. I'm very interested in your upcoming project. I can't think of any suggestions, mainly because some of the things that make this place great -- complete lack of graphics, reliance on Markdown, etc. -- aren't things I would have thought of in the first place.

Mar 3rd 2008

Another thing that makes this forum great is the lack of Mexicans, and the fact that all the women know their place.

Also, it's nice that I don't have to add "j/k" after every joke or insult I make, because they already know I am.

Mar 3rd 2008 edited

I would like to fourth or eightieth that no graphics and no signatures notion. I love the simple format here. It helps us concentrate on what is most important; the content.

Daoust is right about the people here. I don't know how you go about getting this lucky with your moderators and your posters, but if you can recreate whatever magic formula drew this type of person to your new community, your new place will be a guaranteed hit.

I would like to mention that it would be nice if there was a less subtle difference between the 'darkened' threads and the light ones. On certain screens it is impossible to tell the difference.

That's my two cents.

(eta: And of course, I think I can safely speak for everyone here when I say, if there is anything else we can do to help you with your new endeavor, just ask! I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like I've been getting a really good thing for free for a long time and I'd really love a chance to pay you back, James.)

Mar 3rd 2008

Also, it's nice that I don't have to add "j/k" after every joke or insult I make, because they already know I am.

And it's a good thing, too. Otherwise limonada would be kicking your gringo ass right about now.

James, another thing I like about NA is that we're allowed to talk like grownups when we choose to, without some Cybernanny making us watch our language. Sometimes a good four-letter word is the most effective communications tool there is, and I appreciate the fact that you and the Mods haven't removed them from my toolbox.

This is in no way related to the ladies' "toolboxes". Which are totally different.

Mar 3rd 2008

I like the idea of a Cybernanny, but for different reasons.

Mar 3rd 2008 edited

I don't know how you go about getting this lucky.

That's what the ladies of NA said to Rashida Jones.

Ducks incoming tomatoes.

Mar 3rd 2008 edited

James: Good to hear from you. I of course wish the news was that you had cloned yourself and James 1 (or James 2) was itching to get back to the Office recapping biz. If I may speak as we for a moment, we are grateful that you are maintaining the forums. I've never been homeless and I was not looking forward to the prospect. I do not know what goes into maintaining a forum site, but whatever you do, we appreciate it. Don't hesitate to ask for a hand if need arises.

As for your new venture, I'm excited to see what you come up with. I have precious little suggestions for any improvements over this one. The one suggestion I think KarenM made that would be on my wish list also is the ability to track recent posts my a member. Stalkerish; I know. But I've wanted to do that a time or two. That's all I can think of. Clean and simple like this one is the perfect forum environment.

One of my favorite threads here is "other shows we watch" (telling, I know) so I think a site with a broader scope, in its title, anyway, is a fine idea. It will be interesting to see if a similar crowd of awesomely cool, intelligent, funny people is formed over there. If not, we can launch site wars. Kidding.

Mar 3rd 2008 edited

I do not know what goes into maintaining a forum site,

I think it has something to do with magic. I love it here, James. I hope your new project attracts people as cool as everyone here. My advice is just to take whatever spell you cast on NA and cast it there, too.

Oh, and count me in the possible war. Especially if there is racism on the new site.

Mar 3rd 2008

I've said this before on here, but one feature I'd like is the "who's online" feature. For stalkerish reasons, obviously. But I'd still like it.

Mar 3rd 2008

I'd like is the "who's online" feature

Not me. I'm a card-carrying lurker. I'd rather announce my presence myself.

I think it has something to do with magic.

Nice, 2'.

Mar 3rd 2008

Of course, you could always have a feature where you choose to allow people to see if you're on the site or not.

Mar 3rd 2008

Oh, and count me in the possible war. Especially if there is racism on the new site.

I'm assuming that's so you can attack it with the North, right Toosie?

Mar 3rd 2008

Naturally, Brian.

Mar 3rd 2008

I've said this before on here, but one feature I'd like is the "who's online" feature.

Well, we don't have that but we do have the feature where we can click on someone's name and see how long it's been since their last visit.

That should satisfy most people's stalker-desires.

Seriously, though, a Search-by-Name function would be handy.

Mar 3rd 2008

I think this is an artifact of the website and not my browser, and I know how to work around it, but I wish that links opened up in new tabs or windows when you clicked on them instead of having you leave the current page.

Mar 3rd 2008

If you're in Firefox, click on Tools-->Options and select the Tabs tab. It'll look like this. Select "New pages should be opened in ... a new tab."

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 169
Top of PageBack to discussions